Feels Like a Cash Grab!

Honestly, it feels like you guys are trying to cash in early on the hype AoC has generated over the years. If you wanted more players to test your game, there were plenty of ways to do that without charging $100+ just to playtest. I get that you're not a big-budget AAA studio, but these Alpha 2 keys feel pretty scummy, especially coming from a company that was started because MMORPGs were full of these exact kinds of scummy moves.

For those who want to defend this $100+ alpha access, go ahead—give me a solid reason. Right now, it feels like, "Hey, let's make some quick cash off of these desperate MMO players. Hahaha!" (cue Steven laughing maniacally).

And to the inevitable "yOu dOnT hAvE to support this, plenty of good games out there" crowd, let me just say: I've watched every single livestream since the Unreal 5 reveal, spent way too much time on the wiki, and haunted the Discord like a ghost. Also, let's be real most games out there suck.

Finally, I think only Phase 3 keys should've been sold, and they should've been cheaper, or at least bundled with something that gives access to the betas too.

f5sofy99c3yh.png

Comments

• ChimeChime Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    To each their own, you're allowed to have an opinion on this, just like the rest of us can be okay with it. If you can't or don't want to spend the money to test out the game- just wait until release. Those that are willing to support Steven with creating this game get the incentive to playtest.

There is no box price (just a monthly sub) so enjoy the game when it launches :) either way it's going to be awesome IMO.
    ☼ Alpha 2 let's gooooo ☼
  • Sorry, it’s not a cash grab.

If the $120 price point is too high for you, you can still support the game by giving your feedback from player streams and other A2 posted info.

Not to mention there are chances to win free keys in upcoming promotions.
  • arkileoarkileo Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    NiTr08 wrote: »
    Honestly, it feels like you guys are trying to cash in early on the hype AoC has generated over the years. If you wanted more players to test your game, there were plenty of ways to do that without charging $100+ just to playtest. I get that you're not a big-budget AAA studio, but these Alpha 2 keys feel pretty scummy, especially coming from a company that was started because MMORPGs were full of these exact kinds of scummy moves.

For those who want to defend this $100+ alpha access, go ahead—give me a solid reason. Right now, it feels like, "Hey, let's make some quick cash off of these desperate MMO players. Hahaha!" (cue Steven laughing maniacally).

And to the inevitable "yOu dOnT hAvE to support this, plenty of good games out there" crowd, let me just say: I've watched every single livestream since the Unreal 5 reveal, spent way too much time on the wiki, and haunted the Discord like a ghost. Also, let's be real most games out there suck.

Finally, I think only Phase 3 keys should've been sold, and they should've been cheaper, or at least bundled with something that gives access to the betas too.

The keys do give access to beta, Steven clarified that yesterday. Seems like there was some confusion on their end. https://www.reddit.com/r/AshesofCreation/comments/1euy7q1/clarifying_a2_keys_announcement/
    When Beta starts, the Alpha 2 servers will live concurrently alongside the Beta servers. Players who own Alpha 2 keys (including the new phase keys) will also have access to the Beta servers.

You could defend it by pointing out the length of the alpha (More than 1 year), and that servers aren't free. This is a ChatGPT answer so take it with a grain of salt, but it estimates a cost of $25-$70 per player per year in costs like server hosting, bandwidth, maintenance, security, and customer service.

By buying a key you're supporting the development of the game. Keep in mind that they don't have a constant revenue stream yet, money from previous packages is likely long gone, so cash to keep the lights on is coming out of Steven and John's pockets.
  • Ok, and I’d like to buy Bitcoin at $0.0025 per coin.

If you are convinced they are practicing bad business then don’t do business with them.

Feels like a troll. Plenty of threads on this rather than create another one.
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited August 18
    if you dont care about cosmetic the previous packs for ashes of creation the key access was $115 after u took out subsciption and embers.
    95% of people dont give 2 shiz about the cosmetics so i think the keys prices are fair in regards with previous packs.

not to mention alpha 2 will run for minimum 1 year most likely 2-3 tbh which u dont need to pay a sub for during alpha i think u get your money worth in entertainment value
  • To many think that Alpha 2 will be a Done game.
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited August 18
    Neox365 wrote: »
    To many think that Alpha 2 will be a Done game.

yep many many people are gonna be super shock in phase 1. so many people gonna complain then
  • People are acting like this is some multi-billion dollar studio. It is not. It is a small independent studio in relative terms. It is entering into a market dominated by true multi-billion dollar studios with thousands of employees. Intrepid are trying to make a massive MMORPG with 10's of millions of dollars when projects like this usually cost hundreds of millions.
  • OtrOtr Member
    edited August 18
    I just noticed Steven's answers on reddit

Q
    The main question that I've seen from potential new members of the community is, "Why is an incomplete game priced at $100+ when finished games cost $60?" I assume this is because Intrepid wants to allow people the ability to join the test while limiting the number of testers to a reasonable level and cover expenses at the same time. Is that fair to say?

A
    Yes. There is a combination answer here; It is also true that price directly speaks to (in most cases) the dedication of a user to help ensure higher quality testing, it is also fair to say that users cost money to host on servers and download the game. Given the length of A2, being at least 12 months, we are accounting for those costs with this price.

Q.
    Will there be a certain amount of alpha 2 keys released? First in best dressed...

A.
    There are some limited supplies for these phases, but we will give notice for if and when that is reached.

My post was
    Honestly, it feels like you guys are trying to cash in early on the hype AoC has generated over the years.
    I've watched every single livestream since the Unreal 5 reveal, spent way too much time on the wiki, and haunted the Discord like a ghost.
    The $120 key definitely isn't worth buying.
    The $110 key maybe is worth, if you feel like giving money away at Christmas to Intrepid Studio.
    The $100 key in my opinion is worth because the game gets better gradually until the full release.

Theoretically you can wait until May 26, 2025 to observe the previous waves and hear their opinions if they think is worth $100 or not.
    If you do so, then is not a cash grab because you decide yourself if it is worth that amount of money or not.

Practically the keys might run out because selling starts in 3 days on August 21st they say "until supply lasts".
    So it is risky to wait.

Given that you spent so much time on wiki, you are well informed about the game's vision and mechanics
    You should have enough information to decide if you want to pay this amount of money to support the development and maybe to have some fun in the process.
    If you wanted more players to test your game, there were plenty of ways to do that without charging $100+ just to playtest.
    They don't want more testers.
    The statement they need testers was directed to those who payed $250 and were warned
    5. If I do not get a Pre-Order Pack, does that mean I will not be able to join Alpha Two, Beta One, or Beta Two in the future?
    We will have some giveaways you can participate in, so stay tuned for that. As we complete more internal and external testing,
    we may decide to expand the amount of Alpha Two, Beta One, and Beta Two testers needed.
    $100 is not that much money for an mmorpg if you play every month for 1-2 years.
    If you plan to play only 2-3 day every month to see the new features then the price is high because you are not doing what they need to do.
    So if you did any testing activity before for a long time, you should know if you can go through this or not.

The thing is that you have already decided that the price is too high by making this thread.
    You suggest the game might not be good enough.
    You have doubts despite you observing all the streams and reading the wiki.
  • The money is helping towards the game development. It's not about buying "game time", It's about supporting a project you think is cool.
  • Unlike other mmo’s you don’t have to buy the game, you just have to do the subscription to play. WoW for example, you have to pay for the game and every expansion (new one that comes out next week was $135 for epic) as well as continuing the per month subscription

So if you think about it, this one off $100 will pay for you to experience the game then there is just the sub each month to pay

So yeah actually makes sense lmfao
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • BarzelBarzel Member
    edited August 18
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course. That being said, IMO this is as close to an Emperor's New Clothes situation as I have seen in a video game to date, and that is saying something. I am not alone in my concerns that, what appears to be, scummy business practices are detrimental to the game and I, like several others, have suggested that Intrepid "alter" this deal somewhat for the sake of goodwill. I think this is a very good opportunity for some impactful PR, even if it is just them fixing a problem they created.
    "’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe."
  • Pyrolol wrote: »
    Unlike other mmo’s you don’t have to buy the game, you just have to do the subscription to play. WoW for example, you have to pay for the game and every expansion (new one that comes out next week was $135 for epic) as well as continuing the per month subscription

So if you think about it, this one off $100 will pay for you to experience the game then there is just the sub each month to pay

So yeah actually makes sense lmfao

In the far far future sure. But hey lets keep paying now. Its what i live for
  • P0GG0P0GG0 Member
    100 euro for 2ish years of playtime, yes please.
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Chill, dude. $120 isn't much at all. It is easy to spend two or three times that taking a lady out to cocktails and a nice dinner then to the theatre, and all I usually end up with at the end of the evening is a slap in the face!

So, $120 spent on AoC is a fine value!
  • At this point. I am surprised they let you post this. Decent or disagreement is now met with blind denial and COPIUM...in AoC. They have used slimy sales tactics and wording in my opinion..most content creators just want to defend EVERYTHING I trepid does because they hope to become an official content creator.. as a gamer making a game for gamers. There communication blows....but that's there excuse for this shit show
  • BarzelBarzel Member
    At this point. I am surprised they let you post this. Decent or disagreement is now met with blind denial and COPIUM...in AoC. They have used slimy sales tactics and wording in my opinion..most content creators just want to defend EVERYTHING I trepid does because they hope to become an official content creator.. as a gamer making a game for gamers. There communication blows....but that's there excuse for this shit show

Well, there is a symbiotic relationship between content creator and game developer. Content creators rely on the the popularity of a game to make money, and game publishers/devs increasingly rely on creators for exposure and good press--you are obviously aware of this, but sometimes I wonder if other folks are. The interesting part of this, to me anyway, is that it then becomes incumbent upon the consumer to recognize this, and to take what content creators say with a grain of salt, because of the almost universal bias. This same dynamic is at work in so many other things too... anytime money is involved with something, it is like a magic carpet for manipulation. Of course, there are always exceptions, and some creators work very hard to remove bias from their content... but no one removes it completely.
    "’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe."
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited August 19
    WHIT3ROS3 wrote: »
    The money is helping towards the game development. It's not about buying "game time", It's about supporting a project you think is cool.

also just to cover server costs a2 will probaly go for atleast 2 years and u pay max concorrent player connection each month (apparently it like 65 cents per connection) so when servers are hitting 100k players it quite considerable over say 12-24 month period :p and since no sub fee coming in there upfront cost gotta cover their connection too for the period of time.

$120 kinda a bargain for like 1-2 years of entertainment tbh i reckon atleast but everyone different
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    If you wanted more players to test your game, there were plenty of ways to do that without charging $100+ just to playtest.
    This is perhaps the part where you went wrong.

Why do you think they need more testers, when the real tests are only involving a few dozen people?
  • I mean, they shut down the shop explicitly because they didn't need any more testers. People have been begging them to re-open the Key sales, and so they have done.

I honestly don't see what the problem is, here.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • arkileo wrote: »

The keys do give access to beta, Steven clarified that yesterday. Seems like there was some confusion on their end. https://www.reddit.com/r/AshesofCreation/comments/1euy7q1/clarifying_a2_keys_announcement/
    When Beta starts, the Alpha 2 servers will live concurrently alongside the Beta servers. Players who own Alpha 2 keys (including the new phase keys) will also have access to the Beta servers.

I just want to pick up on one point as someone who tends to defend Intrepid - It looked very much like Intrepid responded to the mass feedback and as a compromise converted the key purchases into packages that included beta, game time and embers.

I was unlikely to buy it as someone who will likely wait until release - but lets not outright say that they mis-spoke. This is the decision that has caused the most reaction from the community and Intrepid can see that it's caused an unnecessary split.

The keys now effectively being 90 dollars I think is more palatable. Although I do wonder if they might look into those 150~ dollar packs people bought which didn't come with Alpha access? I suspect they won't and it's no hair off my back but I think if they've already shown they can make a change, then this is one which could go down well.
  • I understand people who spent $150 for beta only being upset at the price of the new “bundles,” but to be fair, they had plenty of time to purchase alpha access if they really wanted it.
    Voice like a razor, sharp and wise.
  • OtrOtr Member
    I understand people who spent $150 for beta only being upset at the price of the new “bundles,” but to be fair, they had plenty of time to purchase alpha access if they really wanted it.

Same can be said about those who got not keys at all sooner. They had enough time to buy alpha access.
    Truth is Intrepid Studios shouldn't open access.
    They don't really need testers right now as they say there will be queues.
    Later if the Alpha 2 owners have no wish to "test" they can always let beta key owners upgrade.

No matter how we look at it, this has a business side in it too, not only "testing".
    Basically the intent was to make people who can afford, to pay more. And those who hesitate, to get a lower price.
  • BoyBoy Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Business costs money. Servers ain't cheap. Very reasonable price if you consider it your sub fee for whole testing period (1-2 YEARS).
  • The problem is Intrepid followed what gamers wanted: to re open Alpha 2 sales. They should never listen to gamers, they're morons.
    If they would've just closed the alpha2 sales, and be done with it, none of this crap would've happened.
  • JhorenJhoren Member
    edited August 19
    It's not a cash grab, but I think it might be a little premature. I think waiting until next year before phase III with the new A2 sales would have been better. With over 100k people who bought the old A2 packs, surely they have enough testers until May 2025. Either way, it's too late to change it now.
  • edited August 19
    For those who want to defend this $100+ alpha access, go ahead—give me a solid reason.
    Sure, your motivation to join alpha seems to lean towards "I'm so hyped, I want to play the game early", instead of "I like what I'm seeing so far, I wouldn't mind to help with testing". The game is in early stages of development. Alpha access seems to be confused by people who think its Early Access.

Upsides?
    You get access to both alpha and beta, alpha alone is supposed to run for at least a year, so if you have to justify it, its your annual sub cost. You have a chance to find some interesting bugs, contribute more precise feedback and help with providing data which will hopefully optimise the game client in the longer run.

Downsides?
    Whatever you like it or not, you are there to help with testing, your enjoyment of the limited gameplay at that point is not a priority. You are just another data point and source of feedback, bug reports.

Don't expect 24/7 access, even in May. Servers will go down, devs will collect data and work on fixes before deploying them again for testing. The game will run as expected for this early in development so expect: game client and server instability issues, client and server crashes, bugs, missing features, network and fps lag. You should also consider the potential risk of the game client being so badly optimised it might push your hardware to breaking point, mainly through the risk of constant overheating.

Have I convinced you yet not to pay for Alpha access?
  • edited August 19
    OP, I think you're missing the point of the prize.
    1. It's $100+ to not offend the people (like myself) who have already bought into the cosmetic packs years ago.
    2. It's $100+ to keep people out. There will already be a cap on players during A2. By lowering the cost there will just be too many people trying to play = creating a negative experience who those who have already bought into the cosmetic packs and been supporting Intrepid for years.
    3. $100+ is quite reasonable considering you will get all the three stages of A2 + Beta. Compare what the rest of us have spent on pre-order packs.
    4. It's not a complete/finished game. So wether you are joining now during an Alpha stage or when the game is completed is completely up to you. You are not missing out on anything because it's not a finished game.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • NiTr08 wrote: »
    For those who want to defend this $100+ alpha access, go ahead—give me a solid reason.

It's their product, they can charge whatever they want for it.

The fact that people are paying it shows that they've set it right.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • NiTr08 wrote: »

It does feel like a cash grab, and that's ok. We use Capitalism here in the US. They have a commodity (server access) that they decided to sell. You already know that you do not need to buy this. There is also a good chance that at least 1 popular streamer will display the Alpha. You are not going to miss out on anything, unless you feel you NEED to test or at least control the character you are watching.

If you do not feel comfortable spending cash on an Alpha key. Do not spend cash on an Alpha key.

My only defense of this is, they are basically guaranteeing the Alpha testers will take the tests seriously. It would be more traditional to create testing jobs, but this method should be able to reach more serious testers than the previous method.