Ashes of Creation must dodge this bullet

1141516171820»

Comments

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha Two
    edited October 19
    Dygz wrote: »
    ESO is 150 hours.
    Standard is 60-100 hours.
    So... 225 hours to Level 50 Adventurer is not fast.

The Ashes design already has better ways to retain players than arbirtarily extending the already long Leveling time to Level 50 Adventurer past 225 hours.

This is the scenic route.

Leveling to 50 in ESO can be done in a few hours.
  • FlankerFlanker Member, Alpha Two
    Noaani wrote: »
    See, you are mistaken.

You can't use Steam for L2 numbers - but for reasons I am sure Flanker is about to tell us all, you can use Steam numbers for other games.
    You obviously can't use Steam for L2 numbers, because they only had some weird versions of it there.

But if I can't use steam numbers for other games - well, alright, I didn't know that, feel free to enlighten me where to find more accurate statistics
    n8ohfjz3mtqg.png
  • LudulluLudullu Member, Alpha Two
    Korela wrote: »
    L2 is so dead then :p
    83ekcjo00h4l.png
    I respect that one person B)
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha Two
    edited October 19
    Flanker wrote: »
    See, you are mistaken.

You can't use Steam for L2 numbers - but for reasons I am sure Flanker is about to tell us all, you can use Steam numbers for other games.
    You obviously can't use Steam for L2 numbers, because they only had some weird versions of it there.
    You can only use Steam numbers for games that are only available on Steam. This essentially excludes all MMORPG's - though there may well be some that only offer a Steam version.
    But if I can't use steam numbers for other games - well, alright, I didn't know that, feel free to enlighten me where to find more accurate statistics
    I get some of my numbers via talking to people that work on the games in question. I also get some of my numbers by looking at information the developers publish. Publically traded companies are especially useful for this last one.

I don't expect you to get information in anything close to this kind of way.

What you can do though, to compare how well an individual game is doing in relation to other MMORPG's, is you can look at it's post launch content.

To do this, you need to consider both quantity and quality of this content, which means you need some form of connection to the game.
  • Playing WC3 FT in private LAN parties every day. Game is not dead.
  • AszkalonAszkalon Member, Alpha Two
    I always had a guess the last Months until Alpha Two would be NAAASTY regarding having nothing to really talk about directly from the Game,

but being reduced to only Discussions and Opinion-Exchanges and the likes -> but HO.LY. DAMN. :D

October 25th can not come soon enough. I bet Flanker agree's with me. :mrgreen:
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
    ✓ Kinda starting to look for a Guild right now. (German)
  • FlankerFlanker Member, Alpha Two
    Chaliux wrote: »
    Playing WC3 FT in private LAN parties every day. Game is not dead.
    Do those parties have 100+k players? xD
    n8ohfjz3mtqg.png
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    Flanker wrote: »
    See, you are mistaken.

Tracking this is among one of my many tasks, but for various reasons, some of them entirely on purpose by Sony and the developers (for example) there's no way to get what any rigorous person would consider 'accurate statistics'.

Generally, you can get decent estimates from any data technicians who play those games or have some inside information based on hosting or update service (this is usually the easiest way to know how many people are playing a game, but it's almost always a number that you need to shift downward because of people owning the same game on multiple systems or needing to do reinstalls, for most games the rate for this is 18-25% I think, if we're talking only 'active' players).

Next best thing is to use one of those MMO population estimation sites, which have their own methods similar to Business Intelligence.

And in the current age (and I guess for FF11 specifically going back to the early 00s) you then need to figure out how to factor for the console playerbase, which becomes quite hard if the game offers Console-only servers (usually you can use the ratio of those, to crossplay servers).

But overall it's the same as what we do now with your side. We know L2 numbers mostly by asking L2 people to provide context for the data that can be found. Usually, context is enough, because at least one can argue about it (even if the person misunderstands or incorrectly estimates something, their logic can be debated, for instance I don't have much concrete to back up my perception of the TL Console playerbase and probably never will).

Interestingly, it's easier to get data for New World... and ironically that's precisely because New World leveling is so fast and streamlined in comparison. "Really makes you think", as they say, or at least, it does so for me.

I wish I liked that game more, honestly. Maybe they'll get there, but it keeps feeling like someone tried to combine Smite with like, Runescape, and then ran out of money...
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Ludullu wrote: »
    Korela wrote: »
    L2 is so dead then :p
    83ekcjo00h4l.png
    I respect that one person B)
    It‘s Flanker! >:)