[Website] The Ashes of Creation website will be down for scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at 7:00 a.m. Pacific.

Estimated downtime is 4 hours. During this time, the shop and account login page will be inaccessible. We'll notify you upon completion.
Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

In addition to Climbing Mechanics ...

what about Crouching & Crawling

Other Pathways can be squeezed into the Open-World not susceptible/ prevalent at first glance,
  • And it'll definitely add more depth to the Exploration
  • Add more depth to the ... " Cat-&-Mouse Prototype " we have yet to see
(i.e. More places to hide & places to explore )

If this asking a " little bit too much " ... just stick with establishing the Climbing Mechanics 1st

Comments

• All for any mechanics they add, as long as this doesn't turn into the previous incarnation of "We need crouching and crawling to obscure nameplates so I can more efficiently gank people." discussion.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    @UnknownSystemError As long as the NamePlates are small font-size & cannot be seen from far away - it i'll be fine. Imo ... there should not be a Nameplate - the Username should only be seen once you click on character and then it'll appear above the HP Bar 

EDIT: In other words, i do not want to see Nameplates  hovering around nor In-game Usernames ... just the Character Model Default Movement Animations. The Username & HP bar will only appear once clicked on in the format/ style of how its shown in the Time-Stamp Link below

( How the Opponent's HP Bar is present in PAX Pre-Alpha was lovely - i especially liked  it didn't show the HP depleting ( in PvP ) ... rather than showed gradually "deteriorating"  )
    Kinda hoping that concept is stays & implemented in PvE too  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Luls i see what you mean now  :D
  • Would like to see this, any nameplate viewing should be limited to clear line of sight.

Prone and hidden in long grass may not be visible on a high graphics setting but may be visible on a low setting.. so then who's pc makes the call?
    edited September 2017
    Hahaha...sorry @Eragale looks like your thread got jacked already. @AkaBear this was already hilariously demonstrated in a PUBG video to highlight noob mistakes. A guy is crouching down in a field surrounded by plants running on high graphics. Can't understand why he keeps getting headshot. Turns out when turned to low, he is just crouching in an open field. At the end of the day, don't look for this to be a mechanic in Ashes, two totally different games. Just like the call for ghillie suits from BDO, any mechanic that the pro-gankbox crowd is calling for is likely to be ignored.
    As for a mechanic in PVE, maybe the Tulnar lore could be the more reptile you throw into your mix, the lower and tighter space you can squeeze into. 
    Image result for reptiles squeezing into small spaces
    edited September 2017
    edited September 2017
    I'd like at least a crouch. I feel like it gives you a extra feeling of control. Having it be useful for both accessing areas and sneak/hiding would be cool. I liked BDOs idea of hiding names when you are crouched as it actually made you feel like you were sneaking. @UnknownSystemError Just because a mechanic can be used for ganking doesn't mean they shouldn't include it. The corruption system is there to deter ganking and i don't think having the ability to hide there nameplate is going to affect that choice. You could also use this mechanic to hide from gankers and sneak through areas with potentially hostile players in it. I think there are many ways the passive player could use this and that extra feeling of character control could help with immersion. 

Running up on a player with a mount would probably be better then crouching up anyways.Quicker and they have no way of escaping because you are faster.    
  • This sounds like a cool idea, mainly for getting into other hard to reach areas. For example a cave you need to crawl into.
  • All i know is that i do not want my Screen to be filled with Nameplates everytime i log in
    • " okay ?!? ... sooo jsut go to U.I. Editor and turn it o-
    No. If nameplates are on by default - even if its an option in the U.I Editor - it still gives my opponent an advantage by being able to see exactly where i'm via Nameplate & HP Bar over my head

Just ... never implement that as option. Solely have it the same way i described it in my above post:

Eragale said:
    " ... EDIT: In other words, i do not want to see Nameplates  hovering around nor In-game Usernames ... just the Character Model Default Movement Animations. The Username & HP bar will only appear once clicked on in the format/ style of how its shown in the Time-Stamp Link below

( How the Opponent's HP Bar is present in PAX Pre-Alpha was lovely - i especially liked  it didn't show the HP depleting ( in PvP ) ... rather than showed gradually "deteriorating"  )
    Kinda hoping that concept is stays & implemented in PvE too "   :)  

edited October 2017
    No nameplates would be ideal to me too. Early gameplay actually had things that way. If you go back and watch footage from before pax you will notice that only your target's nameplate shows up. 
  • Hahaha...sorry @Eragale looks like your thread got jacked already. 

Yes, by you. :)
    Next time if you don't wish to see such discussion, don't mention it.
  • How about a couple of defecation animations plus tea bagging?
  • Gothix said:
    Hahaha...sorry @Eragale looks like your thread got jacked already. 

Yes, by you. :)
    Next time if you don't wish to see such discussion, don't mention it.
    Thanks for voicing what I was too wimpy to voice myself. :smiley:
  • So far game looks like lots of corridors so most likely climbing will be out of question or limited at best. From videos i seen game map doesn't look like lineage2 but more like neverwinter with wider corridors.
  • Hahaha...sorry @Eragale looks like your thread got jacked already. @AkaBear this was already hilariously demonstrated in a PUBG video to highlight noob mistakes. A guy is crouching down in a field surrounded by plants running on high graphics. Can't understand why he keeps getting headshot. Turns out when turned to low, he is just crouching in an open field. At the end of the day, don't look for this to be a mechanic in Ashes, two totally different games. Just like the call for ghillie suits from BDO, any mechanic that the pro-gankbox crowd is calling for is likely to be ignored.
    As for a mechanic in PVE, maybe the Tulnar lore could be the more reptile you throw into your mix, the lower and tighter space you can squeeze into. 

This was an exploited mechanic used in Lineage 2, back in the day. 

Would love a ghillie suit!

I'm all for crouching, crawling, climbing in certain ways in selected areas for selected purposes. 

I see the opportunity for strategic pvp fighting/intel using such actions rather than just "ganking". 

The Dragon Age mechanic of breaking walls, limited to a certain tank class, to open cavern tunnels to different paths springs to mind when thinking about crawling!

The Tale of Two Brothers co-op game mechanics also spring to mind for involving co-operative / team problems solving using climbing, crawling, squeezing etc by different sized / classed players.

All for options!
  • Don't be afraid of ganking that much. Since spells won't have visible aoe indicators, I can see there being ways to hide yourself to do scouting. The rogue has an invisibility ability, but I expect the ranger to be able to hind behind rocks on a high ground, where that crouching could really come handy. I find crawling generally more specialized and it often feels like 'they just did a hole here so you can use that feature they wasted too much time on'. Very is very few scenarios where crawling is actually useful for movement, although it is of course very useful when hiding in high grass and similar.