Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Using your second screen

2»

Comments

• Options
    Thanks guys! Let's get our voices heared!
  • Options
    I get quite upset if my second monitor breaks.... whilst I don't normally use it for gaming (unless multiboxing for rp purposes).. I find it takes the edge off any grind\crafting to be able to follow discord\watch Tele etc on the second.

Definitely a plus if I could expand the screen \ view.

+1 @leamese !

(Though can't deny that I'm alreeady concentrating any petty cash on saving for a vr rig to fully enjoy ashes immersion)
  • Options
    I do not use multi monitor setup, I never have.

I use 1 desktop PC with a single monitor, and on this PC I play games.

On my desk next to desktop PC monitor sits my laptop, and I use this laptop for (out of the game) chats and communications, such as discord, fb, etc. and I use it to browse the web, so my game on my desktop PC isn't interrupted, specially if I am out in the world where I may get attacked.

I'm curious if these extra utilities that people suggested could be implemented over official Ashes web interface, so people could access them even over laptops (secondary PCs) not having to own multiple monitor setup.
  • Options
    I have a few monitors, and usually use at least 2 for the games I'm playing, whether it be guides on one, the game on the other. I only like playing using 1 monitor, but it would be very convenient to have maps, chat-boxes, marketplace information, and more on a few monitors.
  • Options
    Gothix said:
    I do not use multi monitor setup, I never have.

I use 1 desktop PC with a single monitor, and on this PC I play games.

On my desk next to desktop PC monitor sits my laptop, and I use this laptop for (out of the game) chats and communications, such as discord, fb, etc. and I use it to browse the web, so my game on my desktop PC isn't interrupted, specially if I am out in the world where I may get attacked.

I'm curious if these extra utilities that people suggested could be implemented over official Ashes web interface, so people could access them even over laptops (secondary PCs) not having to own multiple monitor setup.
    Technically, you use dual monitors. Even if you use 2 PCs simultaneously.

The point of dual monitors is to increase productivity, which you are clearly doing by using your laptop for discord, facebook etc while you play on your main PC.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    FliP said:

Technically, you use dual monitors. Even if you use 2 PCs simultaneously.

The point of dual monitors is to increase productivity, which you are clearly doing by using your laptop for discord, facebook etc while you play on your main PC.

The point is that I wouldn't be able to use the laptop for extra in game windows, because I will not be able to log into my character from 2 separate PCs at once. However I would be able to log into Ashes web with my laptop and use the suggested interface like that if it was implemented over Ashes web.

To use laptops screen for in game windows I would need to connect the laptops screen (if laptop even has a port for that) with video cable to my desktop PC, like it was my second monitor, but then I lose laptops processing power and I need to load everything on my desktop PC and use it like that. It would be a waste of not using secondary PC resources.

Having stuff implemented over web interface would let people use even secondary PCs for purpose of using this, thus unloading main PC of unneeded extra load.

Hopefully you better understand my suggestion now.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Gothix said:

It would be a truly nice thing to see this, as not everyone has access to dual screens anyway.
    Whilst many mmo's /games get around this by having 'windowed' mode options in the graphic settings so you can still play the game whilst viewing external applications on your monitor, though I've found it's a pain to transfer from one to the other, and it can also be a pita from a sizing perspective (I've a wide main monitor, but on my smaller one, wouldn't be able to consider it....

Accessing external systems that are relevant to Ashes, whilst in ashes, might be a worthy consideration for Intrepid. (apologies if not making sense, I've road works going on right outside my house and sound interrupts my brain nowadays :P )

• Options
    edited October 2017
    This is the issue you would have to overcome in multiple screens where one (or more) is dedicated to the UI element. The game doesn't see "two screens" What it sees is 3,840 pixels by 2,160 pixels (two 1080p monitors).
    What would need to happen is someone would need to go in, take the main monitor resolutions, find the resolutions of multiple monitor configurations, and properly attribute the correct resolution to each individual monitor, and correctly assume the number of monitors in said setup, and then maybe do some lite UI work to make sure everything displays the way you intended. Essential saying game renders here, UI element there.
    Actually that part is feasible. It's work that could be doing something else, but I think there is a path to a solution.
    Here is where I see the real problem. Now take a 720p monitor, or just someone down scaling to 720. 1080 is 1.5x 720, so when my game sees some multiple 720 in any number of monitor arrangements does it assume it's looking at 720p monitors or some configuration of 1080p? 
    Example Do I have 3 720p monitors totaling 2,160 pixels, or do I have 2 1080p monitors at 2,160 pixels?
    This hurts the ability to "auto discover" the arrangement, but the user could manually input the configuration in some options menu. The issue with that is in the age of "No gamer left behind" companies shy away from any options or ability to configure that might confuse a consumer.
  • Options
    hmm could be a good feature ... what i rather see though is optimizing for ultra wide 34" 21:9 and 49" 32:9 screens for extra immersion! ever since i been gaming on 34" 21:9 ratio gaming has become that much better!
  • Options
    I never knew so many people had two monitors. I have never even thought of having two monitors or know anyone that does this. Bit of a culture shock  :o
  • Options
    *offers huggles and a nice cup of tea to @Lazerou*

• Options
    Gothix said:

That would be a great option! perhaps. Perhaps even an app to access some info on your phone. But that would be exxtra offcourse they need to focus on the game first!