Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Mid-fight weapon switching?

So, since it isn't known whether players will be able to switch weapons and other gear mid-battle yet(according to the answer I got in the questions channel on Discord), I decided to make a poll regarding the topic.

What is this topic about and why was it created?

One mechanic that differs from game to game is whether you can switch your gear while being in combat or you have to wait until you're out of battle. This mechanic is usually closely tied to weapon effects and how dynamic the battle should be. It was a thing in the first MMO I played and I really loved the mechanic.

What are the benefits of switching your weapon mid-fight?

Doing so adds another dimension to the fight. Depending on the situation, you might need the stats and effects from one weapon or the other - so if you time it right and know what to switch out in which situation, you can for example increase your defense on the spot when there's a strong attack incoming and then switch back to damage gear. Depending on whether we will have weapon effects like bleeding, defense down etc, you could also time them right to inflict maximum damage on your opponent.

What are the drawbacks of switching your weapon mid-fight?

Introducing this as a feature would add another layer of difficulty that many people usually have a problem with, as you need to coordinate both your attacks AND your gear in order to be seen as a good player. Not everyone is good at constantly switching from one task(attacking) to another(switching).
Another point would be that you wouldn't be bound to your decision before entering a fight - if you misplanned your strategy, you could just change everything on the spot and go by trial and error instead of making which equipment you are going to use a well-thought out strategic task.

So, what do you think, should it be possible to switch out your gear mid-battle?

Comments

• Options
    Changing gear and its connected skills during intense combat usualy feels somehow glitchy. I like challenge, but a solid UI and smooth combat is even more important imo.
  • Options
    In truth I don't really mind because it would be the same for all at the end of the day, but I'd like to think there'd be a valid, tangible reason for selecting my weapon of choice. Weapon swap would fundamentally undermine that.  
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    I think everyone should be able to equip a melee weapon (dual wielding and off-hand weapons included) and a ranged weapon and be able to use both during combat. Similar to how WOW did it back in the day. So a Ranger could dual wield and have a bow. A mage could have a staff (assuming its melee) and an arcane tome (like the one at Pax).
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    It would break immersion, I want the choice of the weapons I have equipped to have meaning when I go into battle. 
  • Options
    no gear just a normal weapon swap like TESO or GW2 would be nice.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Just re-watched some streams. You can't swap gear in combat.

https://youtu.be/D0Wjww5ZJok

34:30 I'm on my phone so I can't link at current time.

• Options
    I played a game in which weapon switching was a thing, I never did it.

I'd rather focus on something more important instead of damage numbers to see which weapon is more effective on my target.
  • Options
    Gear swapping comes down to who is being more adept in it or has a bot helper.
    Like, it's not really fun to do and requires to distract yourself from fight to inventory and can be easily automated.
    gw2/eso style swap between two equipped wepsets with cooldown is more fun and adds complexity to rotations.
    What I wouldn't want with swapping is DS scenario, where you could go with lightest weapon and armor, fish for a parry then while animation plays reequip to one hit ko gear and thus win pvp.
  • Options
    Why not?
  • Options
    I'm a stance dancer, this isn't even something I need to think about whether it is better or not. Stance dance in whatever form done half right is a great additional layer of skill development.
    Having said that, I personally don't believe Ashes will bring it into their world. It simply doesn't feel as if they would want to expand in that direction. They add it, great. They don't <shrug>.
  • Options
    Make us have weapon sets that can be switched on button press between 2 sets and we're gucci. I might decide during combat that I don't need my shield, so I want to draw my second sword and put that shield back in. Yes its a layer of depth, but if executed right, it won't require much attention. Keep in mind that its hard to say where combat ends in PvP, so not making this possible might lock you into a weapon longer than it'd have to.
  • Options
    It's not hard to say when combat ends. Combat ends after a 3-5 seconds of not being hit or not hitting something. Ez a pie. 
  • Options
    Elder said:
    It's not hard to say when combat ends. Combat ends after a 3-5 seconds of not being hit or not hitting something. Ez a pie. 
    What does that have to do with the topic?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Edit: Dunno how to change vote, my opinion is weapon only
    I say, for weapon, yes.
    The reason: 
    As a Ranger, fighting with a bow in melee is not very logical.

They have already stated that changing gear mid combat won't be a thing. 
    And that woulnd't make sense to begin with. Who redresses mid-combat? oO
    I could accept it if you had to channel the redressing and every hit you took while redressing extended the 'cast time', and if you were armorless for the period. Then I'd just hit the sh*t out of you while you redress :P 
  • Options
    .Ziltch said:

Its pre-alpha, nothing is set in stone yet, so maybe thats changing. We can be sure that there will be a way for rangers to be melee though, as there are currently 3 slots, mainhand offhand ranged, at least if they stay what they've said on stream.
  • Options
    Ruby437 said:
    .Ziltch said:

Its pre-alpha, nothing is set in stone yet, so maybe thats changing. We can be sure that there will be a way for rangers to be melee though, as there are currently 3 slots, mainhand offhand ranged, at least if they stay what they've said on stream.
    If that is the case, what will melee classes get? Obviously Mainhand, Offhand and what else? They might be using "ArcheAges" system in which all classes are able to use a bow, how effective is another thing though.

If that is the case, then "no weapon switching in combat" means you won't be able to change your equipment during combat, eg. unequip your "Legendary Sword of Undead" and equip "Divine Mace of Lightning" while fighting. This most likely won't limit the ability to use your mainhand and trigger your 3rd slot weapon with a 3rd slot specific skill.

• Options
    As long as people don't get to change shoes while fighting.

We don't need 1 shot / killing AoE effects.
  • Options
    i think only wep switching and only the fighter class should be able to do it
  • Options
    I say yes. For example if your deer season with a 30.30 and a bear charges you, your going to want to pull out your trusty bear killing .50 Calabar handgun and send it to bear heaven...
  • Options
    Other : i think if u have weapon IN a bag, thats a no-no. If u have the weapon on you, it hould be possible.

Like a ranger with a bow and daggers, he can switch, or a warrior with a 2H sword, and a 1H sword and shield, or another 2H weapon, etc, but no armor (when can u change armor on battlefield ???)
  • Options
    I'm on the fence with this because while it does add flexibility we don't know how much of our build depends on class abilities and weapon abilities. Unless I fell asleep during an announcement (totally possible, following too many games)
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    It can go both ways. My opinion is that it will look totally stupid to be in a fight and have a mate running around and changes weapons all the time haha :smiley:. Think about it, if one person changes weapons in the fight, then the enemy will also changes weapons because the enemy wants to adapted the fight too. Then it's almost like rock paper scissors. I think it would look funny.

In the other hand, if we take a example from WoW like some people in here have mentioned (mage and hunters) then its fine, because you change situations from range to melee. That's normal in fights. 

If you should add a weapon switch in the game while in combat, then there must be a penalty, because then the switch of weapon will be more tactic "Are the switch worth penalty in the long run?". Then we stop having people running around switching weapons like crazy. 

Can go both ways and best to find a way in between that tho :D 

• Options
    As long as there is a equip/dequip animation that can't be canceled I'm all for it.
  • Options
    Ruby437 said:
    .Ziltch said:

There should be no way to change your gear as such but a weapon swap should be possible, just so long as there is an animation for it that can not be cancelled.
    As stated above there is some information that shows the direction they intend to follow with this.
  • Options
    As long as there is a equip/dequip animation that can't be canceled I'm all for it.
    *gets struck by an arrow*
    *stows greatsword and rummages through bag*
    *gets struck by more arrows*
    *pulls out sword and shield*
    *gets hit by more arrows and falls over dead*
  • Options
    Loyheta said:
    yeah pretty much exactly what I'm hoping for.
  • Options
    Loyheta said:
    yeah pretty much exactly what I'm hoping for.
    I like this idea
  • Options
    Loyheta said:
    That would make you think about whether you should actually do it, whether it would be worth it. This is a good idea.
  • Options
    You should be able to equip a secondary weapon that you can draw if needed, but it should be something you have to equip before hand.  Also this weapon should not be a stat stick, it should only apply stats when its being used.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I'm too noob to do it so i dont want others to be able to ><