Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Open World PVP Risk vs. Reward Suggestion

13»

Comments

• Only if it is a consensual question.  :p
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    @Szejm
    I'd imagine we''ll get ignored  :D . Besides, I'm really hoping we finally see Intrepid's 1st iteration of Action-Combat 
  • Steven has spent a lot of time talking about the various PvP systems.

I imagine if an actual worthwhile question is put to him about it, he'd answer it. Thing is, I've not seen a worthwhile question yet - all I've seen is people arguing about the minutia of a system that none of us have seen, and is *at best* in a very rough, untested development stage.

Asking specifics about such a system may well see a question ignored. Rightly so, for now.
  • I'm normally not an open world PvP person, but I like the ideas Ashes is using for the most part.  The only point that bothers me is that corruption is only gained through the death of a non-combatant.  I think at least a small amount of corruption should be gained by initiating combat against a non-combatant and then if they never attack back you get a larger portion of corruption from killing them.

If they decide to fight back and flag as a combatant and you kill them, no more corruption is gained.  If they kill you, you were corrupted and face the corruption penalties.  

Also anyone that sees the fight could see the fight between a corrupted and non-corrupted PC and would be encouraged to join the fight against the corrupted PC for a chance at decent loot, because you never know what a bandit might be carrying.
  • I'm normally not an open world PvP person, but I like the ideas Ashes is using for the most part.  The only point that bothers me is that corruption is only gained through the death of a non-combatant.  I think at least a small amount of corruption should be gained by initiating combat against a non-combatant and then if they never attack back you get a larger portion of corruption from killing them.

If they decide to fight back and flag as a combatant and you kill them, no more corruption is gained.  If they kill you, you were corrupted and face the corruption penalties.  

Also anyone that sees the fight could see the fight between a corrupted and non-corrupted PC and would be encouraged to join the fight against the corrupted PC for a chance at decent loot, because you never know what a bandit might be carrying.
    I'm kind of hoping that we can trick people into flagging so that you can't get corruption.  For instance, attack a mob and drag them over to the intended victim, then attack the victim and wait.  You're waiting for the victim to freak over the npc's and start attacking them and hope that you get clipped with one of their aoe's.  That will instantly flag them as combatant.  Then use any de-aggro abilities you have so the mob will help you finish off the victim if they are keeping a higher aggro than you. 
  • Warkov said:

I'm kind of hoping that we can trick people into flagging so that you can't get corruption.  For instance, attack a mob and drag them over to the intended victim, then attack the victim and wait.  You're waiting for the victim to freak over the npc's and start attacking them and hope that you get clipped with one of their aoe's.  That will instantly flag them as combatant.  Then use any de-aggro abilities you have so the mob will help you finish off the victim if they are keeping a higher aggro than you. 
    This has already been debunked several times and will be tested extensively during testing. You have to force target an attack on someone for the flagging to register. So you would attack them, you flag purple, you drag the mob onto them, they "freak out" and spam aoe, you run into it........and nothing. They continue fighting the mob while green until they turn to you and target you specifically. One of the fun points of all this being a twat and dragging mobs onto people, is if you flag on them thinking you are going to get an easy kill with the help of the mobs and avoid corruption, you would be wrong. Will be clarified in testing, but once you force flag on someone if they die while the flag is active without attacking you back, you get nice and shiny red.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    Warkov said:

This has already been debunked several times and will be tested extensively during testing. You have to force target an attack on someone for the flagging to register. So you would attack them, you flag purple, you drag the mob onto them, they "freak out" and spam aoe, you run into it........and nothing. They continue fighting the mob while green until they turn to you and target you specifically. One of the fun points of all this being a twat and dragging mobs onto people, is if you flag on them thinking you are going to get an easy kill with the help of the mobs and avoid corruption, you would be wrong. Will be clarified in testing, but once you force flag on someone if they die while the flag is active without attacking you back, you get nice and shiny red.
    So if someone wanted to be twat, would they not just drag the mob over, wait for them to attack, and then just deaggro hoping the mob kills them?  The end game would have still been accomplished by the aggressor, which is to interrupt and harass the target.
  • All depends on how mob aggro works, which we won't know till later. But in the majority of games when you drag something, then deaggro, it goes back to its original placement or patrol. Could you use mobs with aoe attacks to grief afk players just standing in a field? Sure. But they are afk, not being interrupted. And anyone who goes afk in a game with open world rules like Ashes can have the expectation of bad things might happen. Will there be the guy that trains mobs and then takes them onto people hoping they might cast an aoe at just the right moment to take the aggro off of them while still in the mobs pathing range? Sure. It is a game and people think up all sorts of stupid shit to fill their time. The situation doesn't change concerning corruption though. You could wait till they are about to die, flag on them for the easy kill, and still take the corruption hit. Or let your mobs finish them without tagging, which means you won't be looting anything either.
    I can't comment on my experiences during testing, but if you watch different A0 footage they released of pve encounters, (specifically the one where they let the reviewer play around by himself) you can get an idea of what was current aggro range and actions mobs took at that time. Realize that they have said repeatedly that all of that is placeholder though and will be radically different during later testing phases and for release.
  • I think corruption should only be for killing a green player, not attacking them.
    As USE has stated, I am a big fan of the current state and proposed state of Ashes.