Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Let's Talk About Dwarves!

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited March 2018 in Ashes of Creation Lore
We may not know much about the lore so far, but I gotta say: I really like what AoC is doing with the dwarves, particularly the Dunir. 

I'm very picky with my dwarves. Depending on the game-world, they can either be my favorite race, or my least favorite. In general, I prefer the "master crafters and brilliant engineers" type to the "drunken scotsmen" type.

Too often, dwarves are utilized as one-dimensional comic relief, and not enough thought is put into where they excel.

Personally, I think dwarves should be defined by their love of exploration, their stubborn, militant nature, and most importantly: by what they build. 

I love the idea of a race that builds things so perfectly, to such mathematical and physical perfection that they become supernatural in some way. Gemstones that shine with their own light, impossibly strong forts, magic that comes from crafts  instead of spells. These are the sorts of dwarves I love. 

From what I've seen so far, AoC is on the right track. Just take a look at this concept art. This is leagues beyond your typical dwarven fortress:

I freaking love this. The pillars. The straight, imposing angles. You can immediately tell this wasn't made by some medieval human species. It almost gives off a sci-fi, "future-fantasy" vibe, with the glowing blue gemstones, and the "clean", perfectly cut stone.

So, it's clear that the folks at AoC know what they're doing. I'm getting a lot of strong themes from this artwork, and I'm dying to learn more about the Dwarves. 

But architecture is only one aspect of a well-designed society. I want to know how these people live.

For comparison, Dragon Age has some pretty cool dwarves, and most of this comes down to the game's stellar worldbuilding. Actual attention is paid to how a people living underground would go about their daily lives. They heat their homes with geothermal energy, their beer is made of poisonous fungi. These dwarves are more than short humans, they're an entirely different species. Despite this, they remain personable and relatable.

But my favorite thing about The Dragon Age dwarves is how they use magic. Like AoC, Dragon Age doesn't really have steampunk elements, or anything resembling modern technology. But instead of leaving the dwarves as primitive barbarians, or forcing them to use magic like a weak-willed wizard, Dragon Age did something pretty cool: the dwarves are the only people in the world that can mine raw lyrium (solid magic), and they use it in their crafts. Dwarves in DA don't cast spells, they build them

This results in a weird situation where dwarves are using magic in modern ways. They record data within lyrium, sort of like a magical storage device. They're masters of runecraft, "forging" spells onto their weapons, their armor, and their buildings. Their most skilled smiths can create golems, which are essentially magical robots with souls. You always get the sense that while the dwarves are brutish, they're undeniably advanced. 

I want to feel that way about AoC's dwarves. Being drunk, stubborn and brutish is fine, but these traits alone don't make an interesting race. It looks like Intrepid gets this, and I'm glad. 

Please guys, lean into this stuff. Let the dwarves be cool. Take their tropes to the next level.  Embrace their love of architecture, jewelcrafting, and smithing. I can't wait to play AoC, and based on what I've seen so far, I think I'm going to main a dwarf. 

So, what do we know about dwarves? What do you think they'll be like? What do YOU like in your dwarves? Let's discuss!

Comments

• I am elf in any game what allowed me to chose race. But I just love dwarf. How they act, they story, architecture, And I know one think. In this game dwarves will be so cool. 

Just look at this dungeon. If you like tolkien dwarves you for sure will like Dunir dwarves. Not even a dungeon but in Dillia's diary you can get clue they are so similar for each other
  • As most of the world-building will be community-driven, it will be interesting to see whether the majority of dwarf players favour these beach-bod gods instead of the more traditional mountain dweller. 

economy-crafting-gathering
  • Since Dwarves are portrayed differently depending on the universe it's hard to say how excatly they will be but the standard 'I love beer' and 'Master Craftsman' go pretty well together.

There is also things like TES lore where the Dwarves are a race of Elves living underground though I doubt anything similar will be done in AoC :3
  • It looks to me that the Dwarves will be Lord of the Rings inspired. BUT, my favorite depiction and style of dwarves has to come from Warhammer. Who doesn't like a small dwarf charging against an army of Orks and coming out mainly unscathed on the other side.
  • It looks to me that the Dwarves will be Lord of the Rings inspired. BUT, my favorite depiction and style of dwarves has to come from Warhammer. Who doesn't like a small dwarf charging against an army of Orks and coming out mainly unscathed on the other side.
    Warhammer dwarves are a perfect example. They're so much more than JUST drunk scottish warriors.They're driven by history, greed, grudges, and technology. Nothing cooler to me than a dwarf with a gun. 

I know AoC won't be going the steampunk route, and that's fine, but in its place I'd love to see some indication of dwarven advacement like what I described in the first post. I just love the idea of a race that builds things so perfectly that they become magical in some way. 
  • Incase you missed it there is some playthough of a dwarven dungeon, and some lore released in one of the latest blog post's
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA-8RpPOcRU youtube video
    https://www.ashesofcreation.com/dillias-diary/ latest blog concerning dwarves

btw you pesky dwarves you better add me to your book of grudges as the mighty elves will reign supreme :P <3 warhammer

• @psychotrip definitely agree!
    I'm planning on playing a Dünir @Boromis. Love the Tolkien-style dwarves, although the split between the factions is also really cool.
    Thanks @Shunex. That story is really cool!
  • Yea, check out the latest Blog post, it was pretty good.

I am also very interested in more Lore drops in general, but I like my dwarfs with big red beards, so I am very curious what Intrepid has in store for us.

It seems like they are doing a great job so far by having very thematically different art for the various races, including changing the look of Nodes, which is a nice touch. 
  • @psychotrip

I love how passionate you are about this. I agree with your ideas on Dwarven culture, and am very glad to see that Intrepid's vision aligns with your wishes. It sounds like you have found a home within the Dünir! It will be interesting to see the contrast between the two types of Dwarves.

- Sikuba
  • Sikuba said:
    @psychotrip

I love how passionate you are about this. I agree with your ideas on Dwarven culture, and am very glad to see that Intrepid's vision aligns with your wishes. It sounds like you have found a home within the Dünir! It will be interesting to see the contrast between the two types of Dwarves.

- Sikuba
    Thanks! I just really appreciate what they're doing with dwarves so far. Now here's hoping they get the magic system right (or at least how I personally like it) but I'll save that for another thread. 
  • I've mentioned this in other places before, but my personal (and favorite) archtype of dwarves comes from the Forgotten Realms books. I'm very happy with how the Dunir are shaping up so far because there hasn't been anything about them that contradicts what I love about the Dwarves of Faerun yet they're still showing off subtle elements that make them unique to Ashes of Creation. 

As you've said yourself, all the great things about dwarven culture - their stoic resolve, their craftsmanship, their sense of honor, history, and loyalty, their connection to each other - these are all qualities that make me love them and why I enjoy roleplaying one!  In real life, I don't feel like a hero or brave or talented.... but as my dwarven character, I can be all of those things in a way that feels completely natural to me and have fun doing it at the same time.

Getting the Dunir done right is important because I'm very much attached to my "dwarven character persona" that I've developed over the years and I know I wouldn't enjoy Ashes nearly as much if I wasn't able to "sink into the game" wearing this persona like a favorite comfortable shoe. 

Like yourself @psychotrip, many of the elements released so far in Ashes have given me hope and excitement - particularly the architecture artwork.  They're able to visibly portray all the noble and exciting elements of traditional dwarven culture without saying a single word.  They've literally laid the best foundation for dwarves that we can hope for!  

I cannot wait to see character creation for Dwarves in game.   This has been my focus (obsession) from day one and the wait is occasionally so painful that its why I step away from the community for large stretches at a time.  But I remind myself that the longer it takes for them to develop dwarves in Ashes, the better chance they have to get them just right and make them something that I will enjoy playing for years in the future.

And I'll 'raise 'an ale' and boast a mighty "Huzzah!" any time to see that day arrive! ;)
  • What if dwarves are 7 feet tall and the only reason they're called dwarves is because the rest of the people in the race they belong to are 15 feet tall. 
  • https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/32124/dwarf-love#latest 
    I love all this talk about Dwarves. And I am very excited for the Nikua Dwarves to add a new lore to this races vast history of culture. ;)
  • Im stoked on the idea of 2 different types of Dwarven races/cultures. I'm also really happy classes aren't locked behind Race walls. I like to play unusual combos so I'm leaning towards a Dunir Bard/Mage type. The July Cosmetic Runic Vestments and Gloves are pretty sexy as well, I just picked those up.
  • Yes, I am glad that there will be no factions. Makes you just wonder even more of how the different races will play out in the end, but also keeps you focused on the solo experience even more. The expansions of the game and its lore will be vital and play a big part in the community, no doubt it is going to be fun to watch.