Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

InGame Marriage Benefits

Greetings everyone, some time ago the developers told us that the in-game marriage is going to be a posibility and it woulb be able for any couple (MF/MM/FF) but I was wondering, should it give you some kind of benefits inside the game? I was remembering that some of my friends played ragnarok in the old days and that marriage give you some kind of boost if you do quest with your partner or somethings like that, are you expecting something like that in AOC or should it be more of a cosmetic thing? :smile:
giphy.gif

Comments

• AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't think there should be any advantage to getting married. In game marriage should be strictly for RP/consmetic value.
    k2U15J3.png
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Maybe an extra large freehold :D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • poisonzpoisonz Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    but u lose half ur stuff when u split :fearful: and prob ur rep with ur guilds and online friends and probably start a drinking problem but don't let that bring you down have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich
    AhuZFn7.gif
  • SintuSintu Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I hope it is only for RP purpose.
    jnbED09.png?1
  • OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The only reason for marriage to be in the game is for RP + to sell an extremely expensive cash shop cosmetic item called "wedding band" which explicitly states that "This stone is identical if not more flawed then an identical stone of much cheaper cost"
  • CambiguousCambiguous Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I agree with the others who said it should only be for RP or cosmetic purposes only.
    https://gfycat.com/@Cambiguous
    Someone you otter know.
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Role play only!
    We do not need to nickel and dime buffs, if everyone had them they would be pointless.
    If marriage offered any actual value outside RP, everyone would do it, and a lot of them would do it just for the buff.

I am so ready to have an endless flood of "this should grant a buff" threads! :wink:
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • cotukcotuk Member
    I played mmo in which married players would get ring with really good stats. Basicly it led to 80% marriages to be due that item.
    I agree with everyone about only rp purpose.
    2a0jptg.png
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I mean I would go as far to have a shared home but that it
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Marriage in MMORPG... wth is this? An Asian MMORPG?
    Ao-C-Forum-Sig-by-JINX.png
    Marriage in MMORPG... wth is this? An Asian MMORPG?

Or you know a role playing game
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • TeylouneTeyloune Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Next Level: Have NPC Kids and care for them.
  • Marriage in MMORPG... wth is this? An Asian MMORPG?

So an MMORPG without role-play is what you want?
    giphy.gif
  • teyloune wrote: »

giphy.gif
  • TeylouneTeyloune Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Lumbermark wrote: »
    teyloune wrote: »

No, i want an MMORPG with more roleplay options.
    Lumbermark wrote: »

No, i want an MMORPG with more roleplay options.

*nods head in agreement* yes for to long have mmorpgs lacked good RP options
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• grisugrisu Member
    There are some benefits, like being able to care for/use each others freehold and >>I think<< sharing bagspace from the freehold. I think that's around the extend of benefits you can expect tho. Just some convinice stuff.
    There has been so much talk about it I don't dare to go from the top of my head, I think there was some minor xp boost while you play together or something like it? But that could be mentirely playerwishes. not gona search the abyss of the wiki wether or not that was officially said. Maybe someone else does know it by chance.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
    We should ask @UnknownSystemError
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @nagash Beyond the availability of same-sex marriages there has been very little said by Intrepid about it beyond the statements in the beginning. They were all well before the My.com deal and people that will play on Mail.ru have never received clarification that it will be available to them since it breaks regional laws to portray it in game. As to extra-large freehold, exp buff, or any other benefits of marriage, no clarification other than you will get to do it. The regular placement restrictions for freeholds would still apply as of last information given. https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/257283936756039680/405993277565698050/350px-weddings.png?width=400&height=256

<Speculation> Since Steven is adamantly against anything that even slightly smells of p2w I imagine that benefits that would make marriage something that would give a noticeable advantage over those that choose not to is not planned.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No benefits it should be for role play only. If people want to get married regardless of sexual preference that is fine. I can think of some options that might make marriage more realistic ;)Feel free to change gender of my examples based on your personal preference.

Shared chat box where she can constantly nag you.
    Shared bank so she can spend your gold whenever she needs to.
    The ability to chat to female characters removed.
    Only permitted to join a raid if she gives permission to do so.
    Your bag space reduced. (She needs extra for those boots she is buying with your gold).

• AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    In my opinion the only benefit provided to the couple should be cosmetic. This could be in the form of matching rings or a crest with both the parties names on it
  • Lumbermark wrote: »

An argument based on exaggeration is invalid and you are only proving to lack any valid arguments.

RP not kept in check can lead to bad outcomes quite fast and sometimes very badly impact real life where relationships are broken and some people may be even physically hurt. This is why often RP is kept out of main servers of given MMO. It's one thing to role-play around your character class and general role player may have in the game but something else to openly support things like marriage and push people into a slippery slope of human interaction where someone can get easily hurt mentally or physically. Besides what next? Adoption? Do we really need to push all those things into a game and expose people to unnecessary problems?
    Ao-C-Forum-Sig-by-JINX.png
    @nagash Beyond the availability of same-sex marriages there has been very little said by Intrepid about it beyond the statements in the beginning. They were all well before the My.com deal and people that will play on Mail.ru have never received clarification that it will be available to them since it breaks regional laws to portray it in game. As to extra-large freehold, exp buff, or any other benefits of marriage, no clarification other than you will get to do it. The regular placement restrictions for freeholds would still apply as of last information given. https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/257283936756039680/405993277565698050/350px-weddings.png?width=400&height=256

<Speculation> Since Steven is adamantly against anything that even slightly smells of p2w I imagine that benefits that would make marriage something that would give a noticeable advantage over those that choose not to is not planned.

Oh how I missed you, you giant encyclopedia ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Next youll want characters to age and die too, or maybe even have sex, you know for RP purposes amiright.
    wcjKYgH.png
    Bangeo wrote: »
    Next youll want characters to age and die too, or maybe even have sex, you know for RP purposes amiright.

well we do die in game so......
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• nagash wrote: »
    Next youll want characters to age and die too, or maybe even have sex, you know for RP purposes amiright.

Clearly didnt get what I meant. Permanently.
    wcjKYgH.png
    nagash wrote: »

Clearly didnt get what I meant. Permanently.

haha I got what you meant I was being sarcastic. I thought the ..... gave that away?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• desseusdesseus Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    The clear advantage of being married in game is that I somehow managed to be less lonely in a video game than I am in real life.
  • DeeDee Member, Alpha One
    Desseus wrote: »
    The clear advantage of being married in game is that I somehow managed to be less lonely in a video game than I am in real life.

Oof.
  • Lumbermark wrote: »

An argument based on exaggeration is invalid and you are only proving to lack any valid arguments.

RP not kept in check can lead to bad outcomes quite fast and sometimes very badly impact real life where relationships are broken and some people may be even physically hurt. This is why often RP is kept out of main servers of given MMO. It's one thing to role-play around your character class and general role player may have in the game but something else to openly support things like marriage and push people into a slippery slope of human interaction where someone can get easily hurt mentally or physically. Besides what next? Adoption? Do we really need to push all those things into a game and expose people to unnecessary problems?

So...the question was what to expect from marriage in-game, because Intrepid alredy say IS GOING TO BE AN OPTION, the people who does not like the idea can't do anything about it, you are just making assumptions about RP, and tell me again how's you coming in a discussion about what to expect about an ingame dynamic and posting "Marriage in MMORPG... wth is this? An Asian MMORPG?" and then making assumptions based on...well nothing it's not exaggerating?...
    giphy.gif