Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Thoughts and/or hopes for crafting?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    Simus wrote: »
    xdefiance wrote: »
    I just hope they're able to pull off what they said. Having a weapon or piece of armor reflect the craftor is awesome!

You mean like a signature for the creator of the weapon?

That would be interesting

This was just confirmed in the live stream by Steven that crafted items by default will have a signature.
    ~Simus Deathmax
  • Options
    ZaraZara Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
  • Options
    AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    With crafted gear being on par with raid gear I want to see the requirements for crafting be equally as difficult as end game pve/pvp content.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    MorashtakMorashtak Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    pjrydecker wrote: »
    I think hard core miners etc will require mat mules etc to get worthwhile amounts of material from spawn to smelter prob with some well paid PVPrs to protect it on the journey. well that is the impression I got anyway.

As someone that wants to go the mining/smelting route my first impression is "Why not set up a smelter at the mine?" but then realize that a certain node type may enhance my smelting. Should the mine not be in that node types' ZOI then I am going to have to choose to either smelt on site (cheaper) or transport the ore to a smelter that would give me higher quality ingots but require me to hire guards, incur caravan costs, etc (more expenses). As investors would put it "What is the better return on investment (ROI)?"
    owuEH4S.png
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Morashtak wrote: »
    pjrydecker wrote: »
    I think hard core miners etc will require mat mules etc to get worthwhile amounts of material from spawn to smelter prob with some well paid PVPrs to protect it on the journey. well that is the impression I got anyway.

As someone that wants to go the mining/smelting route my first impression is "Why not set up a smelter at the mine?" but then realize that a certain node type may enhance my smelting. Should the mine not be in that node types' ZOI then I am going to have to choose to either smelt on site (cheaper) or transport the ore to a smelter that would give me higher quality ingots but require me to hire guards, incur caravan costs, etc (more expenses). As investors would put it "What is the better return on investment (ROI)?"

I would think that a building/workstation as tall as a smelter would need to be placed in your freehold or inside of a city^^
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    KumaryKumary Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Not sure someone already mentioned it, but I'm lazy to read all the comment LOL...However I would like/hope that the crafting in AoC has meaning and value. many recent games have it, but there is really no value in crafting accessories, armor or weapons, when the best ones are from a dungeon or boss. Would be nice to have the crafting up there with the best accessories, weapons or armor. So when you take your time to gather materials and craft it you feel you can actually get a reward. Also that it can be fun, not even sure how to explain this last one hehehe.
    5b72df90d96c187ed7e6c2f181b8322e.png
    Stormborn Discord: Join Here
    My AoC Referral: Click Here
  • Options
    T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Steven has said that most of the best items will be from crafters. That materials will be useful at all levels, This should be a crafter's dream game. In raids, they will need master gathers to extract materials from raid bosses to be used in crafting. These should make you a happy crafter.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    elf wrote: »
    Steven has said that most of the best items will be from crafters. That materials will be useful at all levels, This should be a crafter's dream game. In raids, they will need master gathers to extract materials from raid bosses to be used in crafting. These should make you a happy crafter.

Yup, crafted items will be on par with endgame items per Intrepid. I am VERY excited for the crafting system, especially with them drawing lots from Star Wars Galaxies system. Gets me giddy!!
    ~Simus Deathmax
  • Options
    I hope all the hype will be squelched in the mighty Dwarven FIRES!!!😁
  • Options
    Ooh... gonna catch them all... as a tamer to breed new creatures
  • Options
    VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There is so much we have to learn about the crafting system at this point and that may very well be their intention to keep things close to their chest until Alpha1. I would really like each profession to have depth and meaning not just your weapon or armor crafter that gets all of these wonderous opportunities and recipe. Gathering and processing need to be just as in-depth with rare materials only gatherable by the most skilled gatherers and only the most skilled processors being able to produce those highest quality materials needed by crafters. This we already know but I really want to see a level of depth beyond just clicking a button.

Vanguard had its own mini-game when crafting that took as long to level as your adventuring level did, you even had special crafting tools and outfits that gave bonuses to your chance of success. If you were too ambitious in what you wanted to craft and it was beyond your skill you could lose your materials in a failed crafting attempt. I enjoyed this system though many others did not it was considered too much of a time sink.

Crafting is the system I am looking forward to getting my hands on the most way more than combat.

3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • Options
    beyabeya Member
    I'd like some sort of housing decoration craft. A GOOD one, not cheap ugly common items.
  • Options
    I want professions to be truely meaningful and something what people can do as main activity. In too many games professions are more or less just side activities. Moreover, I hope we can see somehow complex crafting where quality has more role than quantity.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • Options
    Ferryman wrote: »
    I want professions to be truely meaningful and something what people can do as main activity. In too many games professions are more or less just side activities. Moreover, I hope we can see somehow complex crafting where quality has more role than quantity.

They said that high level material gathering will most likely be needed to dismember raid bosses (kinda like onyxia in classic wow) and that high enc crafted gear will be raid tier
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Beya wrote: »
    I'd like some sort of housing decoration craft. A GOOD one, not cheap ugly common items.

YES! Rare furniture and decorations would be a GREAT feature! How awesome would that be for a guild to defeat a rare dragon boss and then be able to have an architect or designer turn material loot from into a mountable head that can be displayed in the great hall for the guild. Then you could click on the trophy head and get the details from the raid (date, time it took, damage/healing leaders, all the members of the fight). There is so much that can be done with housing, so I completely agree with you, especially with the attention to detail IS has already put into some of the architecture we have seen.
    ~Simus Deathmax
  • Options
    AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Actual legendary recipes with VERY limited accessibility
  • Options

YES! Rare furniture and decorations would be a GREAT feature! How awesome would that be for a guild to defeat a rare dragon boss and then be able to have an architect or designer turn material loot from into a mountable head that can be displayed in the great hall for the guild. Then you could click on the trophy head and get the details from the raid (date, time it took, damage/healing leaders, all the members of the fight). There is so much that can be done with housing, so I completely agree with you, especially with the attention to detail IS has already put into some of the architecture we have seen.

Well we now know that Scientific Nodes in the max Level will give us legendary freehold blueprints ^^ So it could be possible that the furnishers can get "legendary" furnishing blueprints :D
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Furnishing
    @Beya yes there will be an artisan class around making furnishing! ^^
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    TheCouchNerdTheCouchNerd Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Well we know they are drawing a lot of influences from Star Wars Galaxies, but I also hope they take a look at Path of Exile. I love the crafting system there, though they would have to forgo the RNG aspect of the system, still they could take a inspiration from how extensively you can tailor an item to your build.

It would be cool if we could unlock recipes that grants us the ability to apply certain stat weights to a base item. Then depending on the quality of the resources used and/or the item quality you can add a finite number of stat weights to the item when you craft it. Some events could reward unique flavor stuff too that we could use when crafting. Like particle- effects etc.
  • Options
    beyabeya Member
    So exciting!
  • Options
    beyabeya Member
    Damokles wrote: »

Well we now know that Scientific Nodes in the max Level will give us legendary freehold blueprints ^^ So it could be possible that the furnishers can get "legendary" furnishing blueprints :D
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Furnishing
    @Beya yes there will be an artisan class around making furnishing! ^^

So exciting!!
  • Options
    FerrymanFerryman Member
    edited April 2019
    I want to see less restrictive artisan system where people can truly select more (at least few) than just one path with mastery option. If there won't be one, then I guess I need to go that around with alts.

I hope they will nail the recipe system and we will see a lot of different kind of item variations.

I hope they will implement mechanic, which prevents guilds to centralize all resources for the specific characters/alts, and that way progress faster in processing and/or crafting. Otherwise individual artisans can fall behind and guilds' shared alts rules the markets and gets access faster to better gear. So, let's say no to communism.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • Options
    poisonzpoisonz Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Thoughts and/or hopes for crafting?

that it doesn't suck like all other MMOs.
    AhuZFn7.gif
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think if its anything like star wars galaxies and we should be fine
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    AckbarAckbar Member
    edited August 2020
    One of my favorite crafting system was Vanguard with SWG coming in 2nd. I hoping they will let you max crafting on one toon if your willing to put the time in. Otherwise it multi-toons. Crafting should take 10x longer to level than adventuring level.
  • Options
    Varkun wrote: »
    There is so much we have to learn about the crafting system at this point and that may very well be their intention to keep things close to their chest until Alpha1. I would really like each profession to have depth and meaning not just your weapon or armor crafter that gets all of these wonderous opportunities and recipe. Gathering and processing need to be just as in-depth with rare materials only gatherable by the most skilled gatherers and only the most skilled processors being able to produce those highest quality materials needed by crafters. This we already know but I really want to see a level of depth beyond just clicking a button.

Vanguard had its own mini-game when crafting that took as long to level as your adventuring level did, you even had special crafting tools and outfits that gave bonuses to your chance of success. If you were too ambitious in what you wanted to craft and it was beyond your skill you could lose your materials in a failed crafting attempt. I enjoyed this system though many others did not it was considered too much of a time sink.

Crafting is the system I am looking forward to getting my hands on the most way more than combat.

Agree, I loved Vanguard crafting system. Crafting was like it own class.
  • Options
    EMTEMT Member
    Making armor and weapons that are not obsolete before I am even able to craft them. WOW's crafting downfall is just that, making gear is useless because by the time you get to it you uually have something better on anyway so it is moot. Another issue is when the crafting at endgame goes to 1 or 2 professions only and all others are irrelevant.
  • Options
    I am slightly confused when it comes to artisan paths and mastery. I know that the three parent paths are Gathering, Processing, and Crafting and it is said that you may only master one of these paths. However it's also stated that you can master each profession in that parant path. To me this is slightly causing confusing. So does that mean the following: If I decided to pick Crafting as the master parent path I was going to take I would be locked from Gathering and Processing, but would be able to perform complete mastery in all the subsets of that master path (Alchemy, Armor Smithing, Cooking, etc...)? Or once I choose Crafting, I am locked out of Gathering and Processing by default and then must additionally choose 1 profession to master. (Alchemy Only and locked from everything else)?

However, I am hoping that it's only 1 thing you can master. So either a master Chef , master Miner, master Woodcutter, etc... If that is the case, then I feel like it would be really cool to be able to create some kind of unique signature or technique to distinguish your items from say another master in the same profession. I do think it would be fun to also imbue processed ores/lumber with specific styles.

As for crafting gear being on par with raid gear, this has been stated I think within the last month in interviews. So for example if a special helmet has a certain % drop from a legendary raid, then it also has a %drop for the crafting materials as well. So maybe the raid party doesn't end up with the helm, but they end up with some of the crafting components of that helm as well as the recipe. I think this is really cool, and am looking forward to seeing how this plays out. I also believe items degrade, so to repair that legendary helm, you're also probably going to need high grade components to fix it up.
  • Options
    EmoNaggerEmoNagger Member
    edited August 2020
    Nagash wrote: »
    xdefiance wrote: »
    I just hope they're able to pull off what they said. Having a weapon or piece of armor reflect the craftor is awesome!

You mean like a signature for the creator of the weapon?

That would be interesting

This was just confirmed in the live stream by Steven that crafted items by default will have a signature.

Looks like I will need to crave my name on every fish I cooked up.

That might work up an appetite.