Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Tab target only

I really dislike action combat and find tab target superior in every way.
Will i be able to play with only tab target or am i forced into hybrid?
Affiliate Code:
0dbea148-8cb8-4711-ba90-eb0864e93b5f

Comments

• Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No. It has been said many times by Steven that it will be a hybrid system. You will be able to go to 75% (I think) to one way, but not completely action or tab.

I hear ya. I am not a huge fan of action, but if that is what it takes to play this game, I am up for it.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yep, as CanadianGamer said. There will be certain active skills that are action, and certain active skills that are tab. That is what they have said so far is "hybrid". You will have a set number of slots on your action bar. "Won't be too crazy" is the most popular quote given for the amount. Lets says 20 for just shits a giggles (remember, this is a made up number). You would be able to put 15 tab abilities and 5 action abilities on your active bar, or the opposite, or a mix in between. 75/25 is what they have said so far, but like everything else, it could change during testing. They may find that action combat just doesn't work for them and go all tab. That has been mentioned a few times as a fallback option. They have NOT said that they will be going all action, no matter the wishlisting you see in the other thread.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think although I have a preference of one over the other, learning to use both with the mix best suited to what I feel are my classes abilities is best.

Unlike other threads that are listing opinions as facts, I like how the OP is a question stated after an obvious opinion. @Selo, this might be my favorite thread this week :heart: , thank you.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think of it a bit like League of Legends. Some skills are targeted by clicking on your enemy and some are skillshots.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2019
    did the other thread just go through Cell division?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    edited October 2019
    Tsukasa wrote: »
    Selo wrote: »

Question for you:
    If Tab target is x2 times weaker than action combat. Will you still go for 75% tab 25% action?
    Also, superior, how?

You only get the lazy "aimbot" from it. Click and smash buttons. Where is the counterplay?
    Where is the fun? challenge? skill/competitiveness? Is that how a modern MMO should be?
    x2+ times difference in power is large and it might actually be true. So take my question seriously.

Where do you get the 2x weaker? Your own opinion? State some facts please if you have to throw around numbers. No, i wont accept anything like the sentence "everybody knows that"
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • HartwellHartwell Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    My guess is that some classes will have easier action combat than others, if that makes a difference to you. Melee classes are generally given a damage boost or damage reduction to compensate for being closer to danger or easier to kite in action games, but they also have an easier time hitting things than non-AoE ranged classes. If it's easier to hit something in action combat, then you can direct more attention to the tab target side of things.
    Tsukasa wrote: »

Question for you:
    If Tab target is x2 times weaker than action combat. Will you still go for 75% tab 25% action?
    Also, superior, how?

You only get the lazy "aimbot" from it. Click and smash buttons. Where is the counterplay?
    Where is the fun? challenge? skill/competitiveness? Is that how a modern MMO should be?
    x2+ times difference in power is large and it might actually be true. So take my question seriously.
    Shooting projectiles into a crowd of enemies could end up being super easy. 2x damage per normal shot would be too much inside group combat. I'd say that the 2x weaker thing would only be true if somebody landed a critical hit through a headshot every time.
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Tsukasa

Would you still play an action combat oriented character if their attacks were x2 slower?

(this could be true because it could prevent action combat from spamming 'head shots')

See, we can all make up obviously loaded questions and then say some bs to make them sound somewhat reasonable.

You are, however, way better at this than most.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
    Action combat and tab are both full of spam and counter plays. Action combat is more unwieldy, while target combat is more restrictive. For example, in target combat you can have a charge that can only be used to engage a target, not run away. Action combat would let you charge at any direction. If I had to objectively choose which side was more brainless, I'd have to choose the spell that allowed for more freedom. Having a rule such as "You can only use this spell to charge an enemy." is a restriction that must be kept in mind. Being able to use an ability at any time for any purpose requires less thought, not that is a bad thing. Requiring less thought to use an action can make things feel fluid. I think that is where action combat truly shines.
    @Tsukasa
    Traditional targeting systems and the crosshair targeting system within hybrid games are one in the same. They use the same cast at target functions. It is a form of mouseover targeting that you may be familiar with in many MMOs. A free action cam is actually a pretty good way to make hybrid systems work, although not everybody prefers it. You can mess around this this kind of system in games such as GW2.
  • I mean.. You're objectively wrong in saying tab targeting is superior in every way. They both have their benefits and you realize that's just your opinion right ? There will be a hybrid system because while you may love tab targeting, some people thinking it's boring because all you do it click on something and the game aims for you. Some people like action because it's more involved and you have to aim and be more proactive and have a different skill or another skill from only knowing spell rotations, you also have to aim properly. There's ups and downs to both of the systems and people will like either one or both. It's a preference <3
    Poko.png
  • oh jeez it is this guy again coming with this entitled tab target fantasies..I've had enough of him in the discord but nooo he had to come to forums as well :s

Screen_Shot_2019-10-04_at_00.22.53.png

Screen_Shot_2019-10-04_at_00.23.03.png

Screen_Shot_2019-10-04_at_00.22.02.png

Screen_Shot_2019-10-04_at_00.22.31.png

Screen_Shot_2019-10-04_at_00.18.48.png?width=1160&height=1175

Screen_Shot_2019-10-04_at_00.25.41.png

signature.png
  • I think a hybrid system is where MMOs need to be heading. I see action combat being great with the players of DPS classes (especially those that have grown up on FPS games). For Tanks, they might be able to get by with just action combat, but having some tab targeted abilities would probably be better for them. Healers, on the other hand, need Tab Target to be the most effective. Any MMO with action combat will almost make it a necessity. If you force action controls on them, it pretty much forces the healer into needing large area AoE heals and/or healing totem type spells. Projectile based healing and small area AoE spells will not be reliable enough to get dedicated use by healers, as they would probably miss their target more then they reach it.

I'm sure the devs will come up with a good hybrid system. The correct mix of both will be great for the game.
  • > When you won't even check the thread because people don't all mindlessly agree with you and have their own opinions ~ ! <3
    Poko.png
    Poko wrote: »
    > When you won't even check the thread because people don't all mindlessly agree with you and have their own opinions ~ ! <3

Welcome to the ashes of creation forums
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Steven just called me:

"Ashes will have a full action combat."

It seams we are not going see tab or hybrid -targeting and now it is confirmed.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • cyanideinsanitycyanideinsanity Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    ferryman wrote: »
    Steven just called me:

Oh. brb I need to start a thread to complain to intrepid about this change
    /s
  • MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Will i be able to play with only tab target or am i forced into hybrid?

No game is tab target only. There is always some sort of AOE or effect that is not.
    edited October 2019
    Steven just called me:

I will not believe this until you make him say that on the next livestream ;)
    a6XEiIf.gif
    Steven just called me:

can you ask him to give me a lich skin
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Damokles wrote: »
    Steven just called me:

I will not believe this until you make him say that on the next livestream ;)

It would actually be a really good joke from Steven... well not anymore. :smile:
    Nagash wrote: »
    Steven just called me:

can you ask him to give me a lich skin

Sure, I will call him tomorrow.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
    Glad to hear :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hey guys if you are too stressed about action combat, remember you can literally get Tab at Target:
    https://www.target.com/p/tab-cola-12pk-12-fl-oz-cans/-/A-12953528

So go get your fix.

Hhak63P.png
    Atama wrote: »
    Hey guys if you are too stressed about action combat, remember you can literally get Tab at Target:

So go get your fix.

3ceeb6.jpg

nJ0vUSm.gif

So go get your fix.

3ceeb6.jpg

LoL-Button
    a6XEiIf.gif
    Damokles wrote: »

So go get your fix.

3ceeb6.jpg

LoL-Button

we really do need it back
    nJ0vUSm.gif