Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What do you want and not want in Ashes?

Hey guys back with another post to keep community together and hyped.
Simple put in 1 system or really anything that you want in Ashes and same for one you don't want to see!
What I want to see is good class design meaning all classes feel unique and not like others .
What I don't want to see is poor raids. I want them to be hard feel epic and more than a handful of bosses.
Love you guys can't wait to hear what y'all have to say!

Comments

• Want: Action Combat. Hardcore PvP.
    Not want: Tab Target
  • I want choices to matter, for focusing on one path to have notable rewards over a jack of all route.

Unique classes that don’t feel like recolored versions of each other.

I want stealth and proper ambushes to be a real factor, not showing everyone on a map, or showing nameplates at all times.

I want artisans to be independent entities, able to have influence without stepping foot in raids if that’s the route they want to take.

I want PvP to have real purpose besides slight benefits to yourself, big impactful guild wars, strategic benefits of PvP/corruption-friendly towns.

I want to the world to feel like its own place, where I don’t control it and it will continue as it pleases if I don’t raise a finger.

I want logical approaches to different biomes, different bonuses and penalties to harsh weather, noticeably different experiences depending where you settle down.

Freeholds to be important but available in moderate amounts, with practical uses beyond flavor text.
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would like robust character design from avatar appearance all the way through classes/abilities/augments.
    What I would not want is a free-to-play or pay-to-win end result.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • ElmagarElmagar Member
    edited October 2019
    What I want from Ashes of Creation:

1. Robust lore with lots of mysteries that will grow gradually with each patch and will allow for tons of speculation. I hope that stories will feel meaningful, engaging, and they won't be just a forgettable background for flashy effects and lovely sceneries. I want to grow into these stories, learn all there is about them, get to know them just like you learn about for example Norse mythology. I want the story to be meaningful, not shallow, easy-go and ridiculous. Of course we need some humor, but we also need something dark to give our actions meaning, urgency, that feel of dread. We need to feel that what we do is important and there's no sudden Chekhov Gun pulled out to waste our efforts.
    2. Diverse skillset. I hope every class will feel unique, no copy-paste recolored skills. So when you play mage you do not think "block, stun, damage, oh just like my rogue", you think "this spell with block, this spell that also stuns, this spell is kaboom, wow that's so cool". Make skills do something more than just cripple or kill enemies - that spells from early trailers give me hope.
    3. Engaging stuff to do in open world - because how many times you want to run the same dungeon after all. Dynamic events with cool rewards, huge meta events like in Guild Wars 2 here and there where lots of players need to work for to progress and lead to final encounter, some cool linear quests to follow a story with it. Some cool world bosses, bounty hunting, champion trains, meaningful rewards hidden behind different content types. And overall balance of things - don't tunnel vision into one thing. If you want to make dailies, make them diverse also - some for each type of players, but some to encourage them to try other content.
    4. I would love to see only subscription and no cash shop at all. I assume we will have cosmetic shop anyways, but then make sure cosmetic shop stuff does not look better than legendary items in game. Also keep as big variety of skins in-game as you can. Things you work your ass off while you play the game should be rewarding, should give you this acknowledgment you went a long way to be where you are now.
    5. I want this game to keep me engaged for many years, just like Guild Wars 2 did, and World of Warcraft before it.
    6. I want world to breathe it's own life, like it's not centered around me, I'm just a tiny part of it. I want it to slowly change in time, but that's a core mechanic of AoC which is amazing. But still - even then huge events could impact parts of maps to make them look and feel differently, not overdo it but still make world change even beyond nodes growing.
    7. I want devs to keep being engaged with community, even after the release.
    8. And I want devs to take as much time as they need to polish the product before release. We need a smashing hit the day servers open. People will flood it, following the promise of no P2W great new western MMO.

What I don't want from Ashes of Creation:
    1. Cash grab pay to win to ruin all these years of hope and hype. Also for love of god please no "convenient" items in cash shop, sold under quality-of-life umbrella that will kill the "no-pay-to-win" story and the game as well in the process.
    2. Don't let player housing be-all and end-all, keep metropolies relevant for people to meet and gather.
    3. Attemtps to catter to small parts of community, ruining the game for everyone else in the process.
    4. Lack of clear vision for game to grow after release.
    5. Cosmetic shop being more robust than in-game items variety.
    6. AoC going to second seat after release if devs figure out they want to do another game. MMOs are huge beasts, they should always be on top in development priority. WoW story show these games, if done properly, can run your business for decades. Unless you have a behemoth company producing several franchises at once - sure then. But before Intrepid grows that large, please maintain focus on AoC.

EDIT:
    Forgot one thing - I want leveling experience to be meaningful and enjoyable. I don't want to be in this mindset of rushing towards endgame cus there's all to be.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Wanted: Give me challenging and rewarding PvE content and the crafting that they have promised us

Unwanted: forced action combat
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    What I don't want is content that just exists for no reason other than to be killed. It doesn't need a mechanics based reason to exist other than to be killed, but it needs to make sense that the population of any given place is where it is.

This includes changes to populations based on node configuration.

What I do want is content that requires some form of progression within that content type in order to defeat.

If players can clear all group content the day they hit the level cap, the game will not hold my interest very long. This also applies to solo content, raid content, crafting content, basically all content. Anything worth achieving should take actual effort.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2019
    what I want - armies of the undead

what I don't want- stupid people who want to stop the army of the undead
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    Nagash wrote: »
    what I want - armies of the undead

what I don't want- stupid people who want to stop t6he army of the undead
    The legion stands ready!

804952-armour-artwork-axe-fantasy-art-gold-guild-wars-knights-swords-war.jpg
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • PitouPitou Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    i don't want microtransactions , oh too late
    i don't want microtransactions , oh too late

That would be nice
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • I do not want too restrictive profession system.

I want much better names for classes.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • I want: A skill based combat with action majority

I do not want: Hybrid combat being 'tab target with extra steps'
    signature.png
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Want: Tab Target
    Not want: Action Combat. Hardcore PvP.

Just kidding Robben. I am good with the combat system (I hope). Really want amazing graphics and an exciting world.

From what I have seen so far, amazing graphics and an exciting world are a go! Now just good questing, crafting, trading, and a great guild system are left.
  • I guess since people did more than one I'll throw another don't want. I also don't want a AoE fest.
  • WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    want : mmo
    dont want : any cashgrab in what is not the mmo
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
  • Want: 16bit color and 8k textures
    Do not want: People that scream about class imbalance when they are not even playing their own class correctly.

(joking. :P )
  • HartwellHartwell Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Want: A casual enough entry level for PvP to maintain an actual PvP population, with hardcore enough content in other areas in the game to keep myself engaged.

Do not want: Armor/weapons caked with spell auras and generic Asian MMO aesthetics.
  • hartwell wrote: »
    Want: A casual enough entry level for PvP to maintain an actual PvP population, with hardcore enough content in other areas in the game to keep myself engaged.

Do not want: Armor/weapons caked with spell auras and generic Asian MMO aesthetics.

I think Steven said he wasn't going to do that if I'm not mistaken.
    edited October 2019
    Doomfett wrote: »
    hartwell wrote: »

I hope. I've been in games where people thought I was an NPC, because I wasn't roleplaying a bowl of radioactive Fruit Loops in some kind of Japanese anime with the rest of the players.
    Doomfett wrote: »

I hope. I've been in games where people thought I was an NPC, because I wasn't roleplaying a bowl of radioactive Fruit Loops in some kind of Japanese anime with the rest of the players.

Well, from what we have seen so far, most armours will have a western/western fantasy influence
    a6XEiIf.gif
    I mean not all eastern armour is bad. look at dark souls or berserk. I just hope it looks grim ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

I mean not all eastern armour is bad. look at dark souls or berserk. I just hope it looks grim ^^

Didnt Dark souls and Berzerk get the overall armour design from western concepts? XD
    a6XEiIf.gif
    Damokles wrote: »

Didnt Dark souls and Berzerk get the overall armour design from western concepts? XD

dsmGaKWMeHXe9QuJtq_ys30PNfTGnMsRuHuo_MUzGCg.jpg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• What I want is exactly what they promised from the start. A living breathing world, diverse characters and skills, and a true MMORPG.

What I didnt want is a Battle Royale, ive been playing it some, and while it isnt bad game, it is really not my cup of tea and not what i really wanted.

I know Steven says it is just for testing, and I truly hope that is so, but I dont want a br+ with mmo elements either.

Still got my hopes up for the game, still am eagerly waiting, just skeptical at this point.
    Exotic cringe equipment is usually the kind of thing that becomes included in later patches slowly over time, to act as a carrot to dangle in front of players, only to have the game drown in them once all of the variations have been exhausted.
  • NarysNarys Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Want - A diverse and interactive world that caters to different play styles. Breeding, healing and lots of guild content (maybe even some Yatas).

Don't want - Dailies, BDO style combat (just isn't for me) and Pay 2 Win
    wtmb2cxjbyas.gif
    Narys wrote: »
    Want - A diverse and interactive world that caters to different play styles. Breeding, healing and lots of guild content (maybe even some Yatas).

Don't want - Dailies, BDO style combat (just isn't for me) and Pay 2 Win
    Something close to what dailies are could be inevitable. Things such as growing crops and raising animals tend to fall into that category. I can see where the typical MMO daily quests could add too much onto the daily checklist though.
  • JokucJokuc Member
    edited October 2019
    Want:
    • Tab target combat
    • Chess as one of the tavern parlor games to play with people
    • Hidden jumping puzzles with decoration
    • As Nagash said, being able to summon an army of the dead (skeletons!)
    • A raid boss that has such difficult mechanics that players probably won't beat it for a year
    • Super rare items with only 1 in existence of each kind that can be stolen by other players and a system that prevents people from safe-keeping them on an offline alt-account
    • Big variety in the world, not only as visually different regions but also by having some areas be navigated more vertically on multiple levels such as mountains etc
    • The option to use the weaker, non-augmented skills if you for some reason want to
    • Being able to choose the age of my character (visual change)
    • Being able to put up a campfire in the forest in the middle of the night
    • Lots of options for passive skills
    • Not too small number of active skills. If we only got 10-12 slots I would be disappointed.
    • Undead racial skin, pretty please?

Do not want:
    • Simplified spell/class system
    • The cartoony bulky opaque effects of spells that we have seen in Apocalypse as opposed to translucent streamlined ones seen in games like BDO
    • The crystal thingys to be in every region of the world
    • Steven's idea that every character is a "hero" from the start even though they have 0 experience. I want to go on a journey from a nobody to a powerful being, not be spoon-fed fame and fancy gear just cause I'm a player and not an NPC
    • Low-stat low-tier weapons and armor that have such cool/complicated designs that they look like level 1000000 legendary gear
    • More of the silly animal combo creatures such as a lion with a frog head or whatever. Make unique creatures instead of freaky Seth Brundle experiments
    2030 release let's goooooooooooooo

Jokuc wrote: »
    Want:

This.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• BluehBlueh Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    Want:
    • Pvp where u can take ur opponents stuff Full loot ideal but just their inventory is cool too. This to make it feel like dying matters, and killing ur opponent gives you something. This also makes it more exciting being a gatherer since its more risk more reward.
    • Daily Pvp objectives for guilds to defend/attack that give benefits just something small for weeks
    • Big weekly pvp wars between guilds for control of objectives or areas that give benefits.
    • Crafting to matter a lot, "gear breaking needing replacement or good consumables"
    • Agressive healer class like disc priest or enchanter throwing buffs debuffs.
    • Interesting mechanics in 50v50 ish ZvZ scenarios so that tanks/healers are viable also instead of mass AoE.
    Dont want:
    • Safe zone, if you are outside a town and offended me i will hunt you down. <3
    • To make the combat hyper balanced let characters be good at different things.