Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Magician / Sorcerer Differences

First off, A pleasure to meet everyone.

I've been looking over the sub classes and Wow! There's a lot! What stands out to me personally is the Mage/Bard combination of Sorcerer and the Bard/Mage combination of Magician.

We have no idea what these two look like, how they work, or what they're capable of.

What do you think the differences are? What the unique skills and spells would be? Let's dream up some speculations.

Regardless, I'm really excited to find out the real differences eventually.
Amicus Mourchaux

Guardian of the Kingdom of Tyria.

Comments

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Okay here are my predictions based on the fact that Steven seems to like D&D:

Sorcerer (Mage/Bard):
    A more instant/short cast based class that buffs itself over time or that buffs itself before entering combat.

Magician (Bard/Mage):
    A literal magician. Using mind games and diversion he will create illusions to support his allies and debuff his enemies.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 2020
    Since we know that secondary classes make their influence through augments, I try to think of archetypes by starting with the base class and thinking about those primary skills, and then think of how those could be tweaked slightly by the secondary class.

So for example, a Bard/Mage would still do mostly Bard things, but with some Mage flavor added on. So it would still dance around the battlefield, giving buffs and boons, and playing tricks on or distracting the enemy (CC), but those actions would take on a more mystical thematic. Maybe something like an illusionist. Some of these "tricks" and "performances" would probably cross the line from being distractions or placebos, into being actual magical spells, so a Bard/Mage would do more upfront damage than a typical Bard.

On the other hand, a Mage/Bard would start from a position of building up arcane engergies (mostly immobile casting) and unleashing big spells with elemental effects. The Bard influences might make these spells even flashier, while giving them some bonus support-y effects, like dazing/blinding CC, or longer debuffs that make an enemy more vulnerable. Maybe the Mage has a magical armor skill, and a Bard augment can make it into a party-wide aura. The Mage's teleport might change to leave an illusion behind, or allow other party member's to follow via a portal. So the Mage/Bard would be less of a back-line artillery caster, and more of a mid-line flexible, well, Sorcerer. Ensorcelling things. Maybe some mind-magics.
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • FerrymanFerryman Member
    edited March 2020
    The main difference is that Sorcerer is a Mage and Magician is a Bard. Secondary classes just gives some extra flavors to the abilities.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • If they don't have a Magician be able to pull one of those bunny things out of a hat, then I'll call for missed opportunity. lol
    Amicus Mourchaux

Guardian of the Kingdom of Tyria.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    one uses magic one uses Sorcery I mean come on its in the name :D

all joking aside we really don't have much info on the hybrid classes, or bards, or summoners
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nagash wrote: »
    one uses magic one uses Sorcery I mean come on its in the name :D

all joking aside we really don't have much info on the hybrid classes, or bards, or summoners

It is a shame that we know nothing about the bard *sigh*
    Hmmm? Oh yeah, the summoner was a thing... Yeah, I guess its a shame about the summoner too. ;)
    a6XEiIf.gif