Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Considering Lifetime Sub....is it worth it?

MasscarnageMasscarnage Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
I bought into this game in July of 2017. I love a lot of items about this game.
I am trying to decide if the 400.00 extra buyin would be worth it.

If the game is 15/month, = 180 a year = 2.2 years of playing to get money back. I am not concerned about the play time, i am more concerned about shop items, items that are exclusive being sold to everyone. etc.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2020
    It's hard to say really. The main reason I got my pack was for the lifetime sub as I plan to make ashes my main MMO for a long time but I can see why people are sceptical. I think it comes down to is there anything else in the pack you want and if there is then go for it and if not don't get it
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I can't really say if it would be worth it to you.

All I can say is that if it were me in that position, I would. I don't use kickstarter, and never have. As such, I've never had the chance to buy a lifetime subscription to this game and - unless someone is wanting to offload an account - never will.
  • Speaking of buying things beforehand (in general) is always a risky business. I understand if we people buy games in advance but using hundreds or even thousands of extra dollars for goodies, cosmetics or something like that is not the smartest things to do imo. Especially in cases if there is no information when the game is going to be released. Anyhow, at the end the decision is always personal, how much risk you want to take and what is your financial situation.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • If you're rich..just go for it. Otherwise, unless you plan to play It for a really long time (that is, you are thirsty MMO junkie that can't live without MMOs), don't.
    signature.png
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I liked all of the perks of the BoW, not just the lifetime sub. I plan on being here until the end times, so that made my decision easier.
    If nothing else, I will always be able to log in and craft something that someone will want.
  • SatetSatet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter
    We backed at the BoW level just for the lifetime membership. The rest was just bonus.
  • LalliLalli Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Satet wrote: »
    We backed at the BoW level just for the lifetime membership. The rest was just bonus.

My reason excatly.
  • DrEpochDrEpoch Member, Phoenix Initiative
    And if they make the game free to play down the line. I'm sure you'll have a lifetime bonus.
    I was trying to get up to Royalty level, but I might not make it. Still putting a little away each month just in case... I would love to join the PI, but I will enjoy the game (forever) either way.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I have only bought a lifetime sub once for an MMO. It was worth it. I did the same for AoC. Most MMOs don’t offer that option because unless the game really sucks you’ll come out ahead.

The game I got a lifetime sub for was The Secret World. While I don’t play it all the time, I know I can always go back to it whenever I want and I’ll always have the full benefits of a subscription at no cost. And I’ve been playing it for 8 years now.

Hhak63P.png
  • KisaKisa Member
    edited April 2020
    This is a silly question out of place that I've been trying to find answer to everywhere.... but what is expected schedule for AoC now? Would Alpha 2 begin around fall or sooner?
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Kisa wrote: »
    This is a silly question out of place that I've been trying to find answer to everywhere.... but what is expected schedule for AoC now? Would Alpha 2 begin around fall or sooner?
    Alpha 1 probably won’t even be open to everyone eligible to play it by Fall. Alpha 2 might be next year if we're lucky. Alpha 1 is being rolled out very slowly over long phases and hasn’t even started yet.

Hhak63P.png
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If nothing else, I will always be able to log in and craft something that someone will want.

I will buy all of the things.
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Wish i was around at the time to do so! :disappointed:
    Well, whenever you log in and need something, let me know. I will be able to craft all the things (I hope).
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Well, whenever you log in and need something, let me know. I will be able to craft all the things (I hope).

can you make books, asking for a friend
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • codewarlockcodewarlock Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't normally invest as much as have into AoC as I have in other games. Like many posters have mentioned, there is a risk with putting money up front in a game that hasn't been released, or something that I may put down eventually, for any long length of time.

With that said, I do believe in the game/project and everything that is being developed is what I've been wanting in an MMO, including the node or "living environment" setting. I've always said any game that has the lore and polish of WoW, the explorability and customizationof Rift, the breath taking views of Terra, and the jump puzzles of Wildstar will be the perfect one for me. It sounds like AoC might hit the mark.

I think when added alongside all the other unlockables and goodies you get, Lifetime subscription (BoW tier) is a steal of a deal. Odds are you'll drop a year and a half to two years into the game at least, and you can always come back to enjoy if you decide to take a break.

#TreatYourself
    Nagash wrote: »

can you make books, asking for a friend

In game, probably yes. I will let you know later... :)

Personally, haven't tried, so probably not...
  • torkel56torkel56 Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One

If the game is 15/month, = 180 a year = 2.2 years of playing to get money back. I am not concerned about the play time, i am more concerned about shop items, items that are exclusive being sold to everyone. etc.

Thanks

Im thinking about doing it aswell. My only issue about it is: As any onther sub mmorpg games. If the game does bad it will go free to play and get a cash shop to take over for sub. Not thinking about p2w items.
    If they move away from subscription down the line, its a waste of money to get the it.

Maybe submit a question for the next stream and ask what would happen to the people that have Braver of worlds packages if the game goes free to play in the future.
    If they get free cosmetics every month or something simulare.
  • codewarlockcodewarlock Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    torkel56 wrote: »

Thanks

Im thinking about doing it aswell. My only issue about it is: As any onther sub mmorpg games. If the game does bad it will go free to play and get a cash shop to take over for sub. Not thinking about p2w items.
    If they move away from subscription down the line, its a waste of money to get the it.

Maybe submit a question for the next stream and ask what would happen to the people that have Braver of worlds packages if the game goes free to play in the future.
    If they get free cosmetics every month or something simulare.

I think most sub games that end up switching to F2P still carry a sort of monthly "Elite" status package which usually includes free cosmetics, XP boosts, free mico-currency, extra slots, special pets/mounts, etc.

I assume in this instance, we would get elite or VIP status for the life of the game. Given that the game itself is free, I wouldn't anticipate a F2P switch for quite a long time, if at all :)

I think most sub games that end up switching to F2P still carry a sort of monthly "Elite" status package which usually includes free cosmetics, XP boosts, free mico-currency, extra slots, special pets/mounts, etc.

I assume in this instance, we would get elite or VIP status for the life of the game. Given that the game itself is free, I wouldn't anticipate a F2P switch for quite a long time, if at all :)

Well it would most likely be cosmetics/micro currency to buy cosmetics. I don't think it will ever have to switch to F2P. On a side note I don't understand why many people are against sub games in general but I like them. Something like runescape (Old School) does it right in my opinion.
    Lalli wrote: »

Well it would most likely be cosmetics/micro currency to buy cosmetics. I don't think it will ever have to switch to F2P. On a side note I don't understand why many people are against sub games in general but I like them. Something like runescape (Old School) does it right in my opinion.

Same here! Subs + cosmetic options = gravy.

Cosmetic options will provide less income than a box price on the game would, especially if that box price applied to expansion content as well.

If any two combinations were to "= gravy" it would be box price + sub, not sub + cosmetics.
    noaani wrote: »

Cosmetic options will provide less income than a box price on the game would, especially if that box price applied to expansion content as well.

If any two combinations were to "= gravy" it would be box price + sub, not sub + cosmetics.

I don't know if I agree with that. Depends on the box price I think. I'm not against either way though. If its a good game people will come. :)
    edited April 2020

I don't know if I agree with that. Depends on the box price I think. I'm not against either way though. If its a good game people will come. :)

The vast majority of players will never spend money on a cosmetic, yet the vast majority of players will pay to keep their game up to the latest expansion release.

Of those few that do spend money on cosmetics, a very small percent would spend more on them than they would spend on expansions, let alone enough people spending money on them to cover the people that spend nothing on them.

Once the game launches, I personally won't spend anything on cosmetics. Ashes will be the cheapest MMORPG I have ever played.
    I suppose you are right. It is confirmed though that there will be no box cost and no cost for expansions so I guess we will have to hope sub and cosmetics keep Intrepid well paid enough. :smiley:

Hehehe, I more so meant it's gravy to me.

At the end of the day, I'm willing to shell out whatever the price if the experience is worth the while. I've played Runescape, Guild Wars (1&2), WoW, Rift, SWTOR, Terra, WIldstar--they've all had their own payment methods but I never found any of them unreasonable for the experience I enjoyed.

Hehehe, I more so meant it's gravy to me.

At the end of the day, I'm willing to shell out whatever the price if the experience is worth the while. I've played Runescape, Guild Wars (1&2), WoW, Rift, SWTOR, Terra, WIldstar--they've all had their own payment methods but I never found any of them unreasonable for the experience I enjoyed.

Blizzard paid you to play WoW?

Maybe it's just me, but that is the only way I would be able to consider that game reasonable value... even then, it would need to be a non-trivial amount.
  • It all depends on if you will like the game or not. Different things for different people
  • OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't know. I want the game to do well, and I think they're listening.

If I asked would I have wanted a life time sub on World of Warcraft for 500 I think my answer would be... I'd be willing to pay 1000, its kind of like....who knows, what the game will mean to you.

To me, its a game that fills a need, in a down trodden genre. I think having a life time sub to a game I helped contribute to the launch of, and had an impact in the design of, means more to me then if I bought one for another game.

That being said, I bought this tier exclusively for the life time sub and everything else is more chips n dip.