Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Unique Class Abilities

Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
What is 1 of your hopes/dreams for unique class abilitiyand or augment to your archetype.
Of course we haven't seen the skill trees yet, but I am just curious as to what some of your aspirations are concerning the classes. I briefly mentioned one of mine in a previous thread.
The Necromancer: I would love to see the ability to resurrect one of your downed foes and use it till their hit points are depleted. You would gain a few of their base abilities to use while you control them.
I only chose to list one because the lists and wants are enormous I'm guessing, and I'm sure we don't want to sit here and read mini novellas. So what is your top hope for a class ability or augment?

Comments

• MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm really looking forward to the fireball-but-with-a-sword augment. /s

According to Intrepid's statements they have to make 28 augments per ability... I'm not expecting them to be very good.
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Mobility out of the Ass.
    I just wanna dash around a room, while buffing my allies.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Milkshake bows.

I want a bow that fires milkshakes. They don’t have to be strawberry but it won’t hurt.

Hhak63P.png
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Necroquake :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    But what does it do per say, @Nagash ?
    Balrog21 wrote: »
    But what does it do per say, @Nagash ?

In basic terms its a magical wave that raises the dead
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • WizardTimWizardTim Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2020
    Bard has an Acting skill tree. I hope it starts off with disguises and advances into polymorphing into small stealthy critters and eventually into mimeing other class abilities and stuff.

>.>

I probably wouldn't go all the way down the Acting tree to miming abilities, if I could get to polymorphing into a small flying critter and use it as a Trickster to do sneak attacks, that'd be awesome.
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Who wants to be a mime? All that white face paint makes it harder to be stealthy (except stalking along some white marble...).
    Who wants to be a mime? All that white face paint makes it harder to be stealthy (except stalking along some white marble...).

but you do Inspire terror in all around you
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• some iteration of detonate dead from path of exile would be a cool ability for necromancers i feel
    Where there is light, there is shadow. I am the shadow without the light. The shadow of nothingness. The VoidShadow
  • flameh0tflameh0t Member, Braver of Worlds
    Is this in reference to the Class Utility skills?

If so, I really liked the concept of the Clerics unique class ability, Cleanse, where it was required to purge the corruption from a cave before anyone in the party could enter it. (Or whatever it was, something along those lines..)

For a rogue, I really hope the Spyglass (for trap finding and secret path finding) is a prominent but discreet thing.. I know that sounds contradictory, but as an explanation, I'd like it to be prominent in the way that it matters that said path is found, but discreet in the way that it's not blatantly obvious before it's found.
    As an example.. A secret path to a huge treasure horde behind the last boss room.. Prominent in the aspect that it matters to find, it's worth finding, maybe with major loot.. But discreet in that it's not sticking out like dogs balls.

If this isn't what you're wanting in this post, my bad, disregard.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    voidshadow wrote: »
    some iteration of detonate dead from path of exile would be a cool ability for necromancers i feel

That would be awesome in a proper MMORPG.
  • skearnzskearnz Member
    as tank, to have either a harpoon with a tackle augent so i can clothesline ppl or a mitigation buff that also reflects portions of damage received back to its cause :3
    skearnz wrote: »
    as tank, to have either a harpoon with a tackle augent so i can clothesline ppl or a mitigation buff that also reflects portions of damage received back to its cause :3

I hope it plays a sound clip of "Get over here!"
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    noaani wrote: »

I've seen a few summoner classes have similar pet explosion abilities, but nothing as satisfying as seeing those vile flesh sacs pop.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Ventharien wrote: »
    noaani wrote: »

I've seen a few summoner classes have similar pet explosion abilities, but nothing as satisfying as seeing those vile flesh sacs pop.
    I can picture a raid killing off dozens of adds from an encounter all on the same spot, then positioning the boss right on top.

Feels satisfying just thinking about it.
  • CaelronCaelron Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Couple of thoughts, since it's been posted before... But I really like the idea/topic:

For a pure cleric/cleric focusing on healing, I would want to see a "sacrifice" ability/skill/spell.
    Sacrifice your life for... anything, such as something like:
    -Summon an Angel to go crazy in the fight (maybe insta-death someone or something, or half-health a boss)
    -Cast a crazy spell making someone (or everyone) immune to damage for a limited time
    -Sacrifice yourself with no chance of combat res to mass-res your party (one or more people) mid-fight. Maybe make it so they can't be healed after that or whatever to balance it. Can't just have a cleric-cleric in every party.

Or a Rogue/Rogue (Assassin) built completely on a death ability.
    Just like in D&D (3.5) they would "study" an enemy for 3-rounds, and if uninterrupted, they basically insta-death an enemy. Of course, have to have discernible anatomy, and they get a saving throw, but still love the idea. I think it should still work on bosses, they just get a massive saving throw making it almost impossible.

Fighter/Fighter would get a Berserk ability
    Basically allowing them to sacrifice all defense for a crazy attack damage or bonus for a little while. Or just a single ability. I personally like a "whirlwind" attack that essentially would cost health. (Nexus TK inspired) Basically takes all of your health and energy in to one massive attack, but leaves you at 1 health. So if you don't kill it... it kills you. Could you think of anything better for a "Warrior's Death" type skill or ability?

Mage/Mage (Archmage)
    Get an ability that essentially either takes all of your mana and/or takes a crazy long time to cast, to do an insane amount of damage in a single spell. Perhaps a meteor storm on an entire city, but would take several hours to cast (by yourself), or reduce the amount of time per-caster that contributes to a ritual-type spell.
  • Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2020
    https://facebook.com/photo/?fbid=3364397013589053&set=a.1022151487813629Found this and thought of you @Nagash , oh lover of the dead!
  • IshkaIshka Member
    My hopes are very "simple", regarding the TANK class I want the possibility change the grab/hook in a lot of different ways, not only to catch a target, but maybe interact with an ally with it. Not like simply grabbing an ally. But something more developed, I got no ideas what it could possibly be, but as long as there is more than that, I'll be very happy.

Maybe like chaining two targets together, that can't move past a certain range from each others.

Well, you see what I'm meaning.
  • MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2023
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
    edited May 2020
    leonerdo wrote: »
    Alright, here's a less sassy answer (just a week late).

I like elemental magic systems with lots of interactions, like in Magicka. I doubt they can do anything quite that in depth, but it would be cool to play like an Omni-Mage, using several different elements, each with their own status effects. Then perhaps there could be an ultimate attack that does bonus damage for each elemental debuff the enemy has. Stack 'em up and knock 'em down, ya' know?

I've always thought spell casters should just have all the elements.

Their primary strength should be in versatility, not raw DPS. Their DPS should come *from* the ability to exploit any creature's weakness by cycling through various elements until you hit them with something that hurts a LOT.

Seems really dumb that a wizard has to spec into specific elements, and just rely on whatever side effects that element has without ever branching out into others.

That way, spell casters would have an actual meta combat game. Something that's interesting, but experienced players benefit by learning enemies and experimenting with their spells and combinations.
  • HexcatHexcat Member
    My idea of "unique" could be this one:
    Certain skills need specific resources, for example to create a zombie you need the corpse, to create a wizard skeleton you need a wizard corpse
    Interaction with the environment: the tank can use the harpoon ability to climb a three or a cliff
    Skill interaction : if you have two summoners and one use earth elementals and the other can use fire elementals they can combine their magics to create a lava elemental
    and stuff...
    :#
    giphy.gif
  • HexcatHexcat Member
    wolfwood82 wrote: »

I like elemental magic systems with lots of interactions, like in Magicka. I doubt they can do anything quite that in depth, but it would be cool to play like an Omni-Mage, using several different elements, each with their own status effects. Then perhaps there could be an ultimate attack that does bonus damage for each elemental debuff the enemy has. Stack 'em up and knock 'em down, ya' know?

Their primary strength should be in versatility, not raw DPS. Their DPS should come *from* the ability to exploit any creature's weakness by cycling through various elements until you hit them with something that hurts a LOT.

Seems really dumb that a wizard has to spec into specific elements, and just rely on whatever side effects that element has without ever branching out into others.

That way, spell casters would have an actual meta combat game. Something that's interesting, but experienced players benefit by learning enemies and experimenting with their spells and combinations.

I think this could be implemented as a specialization of the spellcasters because if you give all spellcasters all the elements and can have all of them maximize the it could break the game very easily
    So the moment you have a mage that can use every element but with limits there you have a very attractive balanced class
    giphy.gif
    Chezshire wrote: »
    wolfwood82 wrote: »

I think this could be implemented as a specialization of the spellcasters because if you give all spellcasters all the elements and can have all of them maximize the it could break the game very easily
    So the moment you have a mage that can use every element but with limits there you have a very attractive balanced class

Not necessarily.

Depends on how your spec tree pans out. If, for example, you have all elements, but need to spec into spell forms like AoE, Shock, and Bolt spells (Shock being low damage tab target spells, bolt being higher damage action target spells, AoE being area of effect ground target spells).

This would require spell mechanics to have a modular design. Your AoE can be set to any element.

If I were to do this in a way that could easily translate to the UI I see in AoC, I'd make spells require a combination of key presses. Push a key for a form, a key for the element, apply a charge level, and "fire" it by clicking the mouse.

A complex casting system would make playing a spell caster feel more unique, and also be a bit tough to do on the move or in combat. Just a wild thought though.
  • i would love to see supress skill in rogues like an
    martial art that grabs an enemy and supress it for a duration while stabs his ribs or something like taht, like a really cool and acrobatic animations for grab another caracter depending on his constitution
  • WongWong Member, Intrepid Pack
    Personally, i would like to see a Summoner main class with light based (understand something similar to holy light in WoW) summon augments instead of the necromantic death magic style thing.

Aka, instead of a ghoul you summon a light elemental, instead of a giant bat you summon a sort of angelic figure with wings.. That sort of theme
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'd love some ability for the Nightshield like a counter attack buff that activates if someone under stealth attacks you.
  • CaelronCaelron Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    mrsynth wrote: »
    Personally, i would like to see a Summoner main class with light based (understand something similar to holy light in WoW) summon augments instead of the necromantic death magic style thing.

Aka, instead of a ghoul you summon a light elemental, instead of a giant bat you summon a sort of angelic figure with wings.. That sort of theme

Piggy-backing on @mrsynth , I want to see Summoners like a Summoner/Cleric able to go a Holy path vs. a Death Path or Demonic path, too. I also would like to see mechanics of almost all traditional D&D games, giving the possibility that a "higher being" gets summoned who basically either closes the summoning circle (spell failure, or the entity basically saying "no"), or kills the summoner for daring to try and summon a greater being, and gets released, like a boss (different type of spell failure, lose control of spell/summons).

I also like the idea of a Summoner, or maybe even a Cleric/Summoner, who could literally sacrifice people to summon greater beings. Imagine a Cleric/Summoner creating a summoning circle with like 100 people during a Node Siege, and all 100 people sacrifice themselves in order to summon a crazy boss character (Worth the equivalent of 100+ characters). Maybe even combine it with the idea of "Monster Tokens" and let the lead Summoner control the new creature/boss.
    You all stay away from my necromancer
    nJ0vUSm.gif