Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How will Ashes of Creation deal with the PKers?

IncarnatusIncarnatus Member
edited June 2020 in General Discussion
I have been a fan of mmorpg's for over 15 years. If I were to categorize the player base of those many games I have played it would be as thus:

1) PVE
2) PVP
3) PK

I just read a wonderful article regarding the soon to release Amazon game "New World". I link a post from a developer of this game here:

https://reddit.com/r/newworldgame/comments/eq8wzu/the_evolution_of_new_worlds_pvp/

I would describe myself predominately as a PVE orientated player. Do I wish to take part in PVP? That depends upon the reason for PVPing. If there is an in-game reason, such as captor or defend property, then yes. If it is simply to grief some low level because I can, then NO!

It seems to me that like many other titles New World is going to suffer the fate of many other games that ignored to their peril the PK element that plagues such games. Amazon have developed a game over 3 or so years based upon a fair open world PVP theology only to discover that the PK element have other plans. Amazon's reply is to make PVP "optional" even though their game was entirely built upon the premise of open world PVP.

The reason I post this is the last development update I watched on Youtube showing dev's killing players in a small town and those players reciprocating.

I would be interested to know how the team are going to deal with PKers and their toxic behaviors or do they think this is not a problem at all?

Comments

• VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2020
    One of the better places to start is the wiki.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/PvP

There is quite a bit to digest there but take your time and go through it and you may find it answers many of your questions.

EDIT.
    Ashes 101 is also a good option.

https://www.ashes101.com/
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • mikechellamikechella Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Eventually there will be a game designer that figures out a way to make open world, full loot pvp work for all types of players. At least I hope so.
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2020
    mikechella wrote: »
    Eventually there will be a game designer that figures out a way to make open world, full loot pvp work for all types of players. At least I hope so.

That is physically impossible, and quite frankly a game that tries to please everyone will end up pleasing nobody.

Side note, I really wish people would stop trying to compare Ashes of Creation to New World. They are completely different mmorpgs. The developers of New World have already shown their naivety and incompetence. The fact that they put in full loot PvP literally everywhere and were then surprised that higher level players were spawn-camping newbies in the starter zones is proof of that.
    volunteer_moderator.gif

That is physically impossible

Maybe. I hope you're wrong though!

• JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2020

That is physically impossible

Maybe. I hope you're wrong though!

There's no "maybe" about it. There are players out there who hate full loot pvp entirely. You cannot design a full loot pvp system that will please someone who hates the very idea of it.

It's like saying "I'm going to create a horror film that everyone will love".
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    1)If a player kills you without you fighting back, they will gain karma points and corrupted status.
    2)In order to get rid of the status, they will have to spend a lot of time killing mobs.
    3)If they die while corrupted, they will drop their hard earned gear for which they spend many days to craft, and they need for guild sieges and wars.

Now I doubt that people care to kill you for no reason. I also doubt that you will admit that you are not that great of a sport, and that everyone wants a piece of you at the risk of losing their gear.

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    1)If a player kills you without you fighting back, they will gain karma points and corrupted status.
    2)In order to get rid of the status, they will have to spend a lot of time killing mobs.
    3)If they die while corrupted, they will drop their hard earned gear for which they spend many days to craft, and they need for guild sieges and wars.

Now I doubt that people care to kill you for no reason. I also doubt that you will admit that you are not that great of a sport, and that everyone wants a piece of you at the risk of losing their gear.

Not a fan of this idea.

PvE shouldn't be used as the remedy for PvP.

Further, this system wouldn't work in any game where players would be expected to take part in PvE as a part of their normal gameplay. If you are with your guild heading off to take on some PvE content, it is easy to view that as x number of free PvP kills along the way, as you will make up that karma on the content you are planning on taking on anyway.

So, my dislike for it aside, a system like this could only ever work in an MMO that has no meaningful PvE content, such as BDO.
    noaani wrote: »

Not a fan of this idea.

Further, this system wouldn't work in any game where players would be expected to take part in PvE as a part of their normal gameplay. If you are with your guild heading off to take on some PvE content, it is easy to view that as x number of free PvP kills along the way, as you will make up that karma on the content you are planning on taking on anyway.

So, my dislike for it aside, a system like this could only ever work in an MMO that has no meaningful PvE content, such as BDO.

What you are saying makes no sense based on what you quoted.

Not a fan of this idea.

Yes it does.

If a player gains a corruption/karma score from killing another player, and then the best way (or indeed only way) to get rid of that corruption/karma is to kill PvE encounters, that means PvE is the remedy for PvP - as in, you get yourself in to a situation via PvP, and then get yourself out of it via PvE.

I don't like this.

The second part of what I said, if a game is based largely around PvE rather than PvP, then it is safe to assume players will already be spending large amounts of time killing PvE encounters. If the remedy for the punishment associated with PvP is something that you are going to do anyway, then there is no punishment.

In order to be a punishment, it has to be something you would not do otherwise. Ergo, the only type of game that can have PvE as the remedy to PvP is one where the developers do not expect players to be participating in PvE content for significant portions of their game time.

I'm not sure what part of that you don't understand.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't like this.

Working as intended.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg

Not a fan of this idea.

Yes it does.

If a player gains a corruption/karma score from killing another player, and then the best way (or indeed only way) to get rid of that corruption/karma is to kill PvE encounters, that means PvE is the remedy for PvP - as in, you get yourself in to a situation via PvP, and then get yourself out of it via PvE.

I don't like this.

The second part of what I said, if a game is based largely around PvE rather than PvP, then it is safe to assume players will already be spending large amounts of time killing PvE encounters. If the remedy for the punishment associated with PvP is something that you are going to do anyway, then there is no punishment.

In order to be a punishment, it has to be something you would not do otherwise. Ergo, the only type of game that can have PvE as the remedy to PvP is one where the developers do not expect players to be participating in PvE content for significant portions of their game time.

K

Not a fan of this idea.

Yes it does.

I don't like this.

K

Valid point - this is an angle I had not considered.

Based on this, I shall rethink my position on the matter.
    edited June 2020

Not a fan of this idea.

Yes it does.

I don't like this.

K

Deep.
  • CaerylCaeryl Member

Not a fan of this idea.

Yes it does.

I don't like this.

K

I read that post as Mr. George saying what he thinks the corruption system is, not what the wants in the game. Granted what he seems to think it is, is wildly off the mark of what corruption actually is.
    Caeryl wrote: »

Not a fan of this idea.

Yes it does.

I don't like this.

K

I read that post as Mr. George saying what he thinks the corruption system is, not what the wants in the game. Granted what he seems to think it is, is wildly off the mark of what corruption actually is.

Have you played L2?

Not a fan of this idea.

Yes it does.

I don't like this.

K

Yeah, I wasn't sure what he meant with the post at first, I did wonder if he posted it thinking it is what was happening in Ashes. Knowing it was a system that is in use in at least one other game, I eventually decided that what made the most sense in the context of the thread is that he posted it thinking it was a system that everyone would be able to agree on - something he would also be wrong about.

Change the way of removing corruption from killing PvE mobs to performing a specific task that one would only ever undertake to remove corruption - and that offers no other benefit - and I'd possibly be on board.

Even then though, it wouldn't suit everyone.
    edited June 2020

Not a fan of this idea.

Yes it does.

I don't like this.

K

Yeah, I wasn't sure what he meant with the post at first, I did wonder if he posted it thinking it is what was happening in Ashes. Knowing it was a system that is in use in at least one other game, I eventually decided that what made the most sense in the context of the thread is that he posted it thinking it was a system that everyone would be able to agree on - something he would also be wrong about.

Change the way of removing corruption from killing PvE mobs to performing a specific task that one would only ever undertake to remove corruption - and that offers no other benefit - and I'd possibly be on board.

That's also in L2.
    Guess what. Griefing was not as big a deal as people make it out to be, without even playing PvX, non separeted PvE/PvP mmorpgs.
  • CaerylCaeryl Member

Not a fan of this idea.

Yes it does.

I don't like this.

K

That's also in L2.
    Guess what. Griefing was not as big a deal as people make it out to be, without even playing PvX, non separeted PvE/PvP mmorpgs.

You are really hot for L2, arentcha. Anyway we'll get the chance to fine tune corruption, but it's here to stay so you should probably take some time to go over the wiki so you actually know a bit about the system you're trying to comment on.
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    So, steering back to the OP question.

Ashes will deal with PKing by using the corruption system. Read all about it and see if that is what you want to play. During the Alphas, we will be testing the corruption system as well to ensure it is what Intrepid expected.
  • Awesome, thanks for the comments and link. I do like the idea behind the Corruption System. How it is implemented may well change over time ....
  • HartwellHartwell Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2020
    Jahlon wrote: »

That's a good amount of detail! I noticed that you dropped "bounty hunter" once in the article and didn't really touch on it. You did touch a little bit on it in the nodes section.

Military nodes are planned to allow it's citizens to hunt down corrupt players who get a bounty placed on them.

Military nodes might also bait PKers towards them with reduced corruption punishment in their territories, so you might actually be safer in a PvE leaning node than in a military node.
    hartwell wrote: »
    Jahlon wrote: »

That's a good amount of detail! I noticed that you dropped "bounty hunter" once in the article and didn't really touch on it. You did touch a little bit on it in the nodes section.

Military nodes are planned to allow it's citizens to hunt down corrupt players who get a bounty placed on them.

Military nodes might also bait PKers towards them with reduced corruption punishment in their territories, so you might actually be safer in a PvE leaning node than in a military node.

I wish every node type allowed for some type of bounty system.
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

If it's like the markets and libraries of the economic and scientific nodes, you will. They'll just do it better. Plus if your node has a military vassal, or is a vassal to a military node, you'll probably be able to gain some level of benefit from it.
    Ventharien wrote: »

If it's like the markets and libraries of the economic and scientific nodes, you will. They'll just do it better. Plus if your node has a military vassal, or is a vassal to a military node, you'll probably be able to gain some level of benefit from it.

I think the plan was to make it so any rank 4 military node could enlist bounty hunters from their population. Those bounty hunters are then able to get the bounty quests from taverns that post them.

I think the plan was to make it so any rank 4 military node could enlist bounty hunters from their population. Those bounty hunters are then able to get the bounty quests from taverns that post them.
    So to be a bounty hunter you would need to be a citizen of a level 4 military node, at which point you can travel the land picking up bounties from any tavern?
    edited June 2020

So to be a bounty hunter you would need to be a citizen of a level 4 military node, at which point you can travel the land picking up bounties from any tavern?

That sounds like the plan. I only got some sources from the wiki here, so I'm not sure if there is newer information. Keep in mind that this stuff is all subject to change.

On the subject of becoming a bounty hunter (2017):
    "if you have the bounty hunter title, which can be obtained through a quest available to a citizen from a military zoned, stage 4 (town) node."

On the subject of bounty hunter tracking corrupted players (2017):
    "If you are like an expert bounty hunter, you may get really specific locations."

On the subject of bounties being in taverns (2017):
    "You don’t just have to hunt monsters, though, the bounty system will be present at the tavern as well. When someone in our world openly kills fellow players they become corrupted, and bounties will be set for these players."

Edit 1: Corrected that broken link.

Edit 2: Another thing to note is that they didn't say that non-bounty hunters couldn't pick up the tavern bounties. They only said that "Groups can become bounty hunters in their spare time in order to help those in the nearby region by cleansing it of these corrupted souls." This could mean that the bounty hunter title is just a way to quickly track corrupted players. You might end up wandering around blindly without an actual bounty hunter player with you.
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hmm maybe time to ask during live stream for an update. Pretty old mentions.
  • I will be 33 in september I spend my whole life in mmorpg starting from Ragnarok Online ending on Aion. My best momories are from PvP / Open PvP / etc. I love that emotions when you don't know what's gonna happend in next 5 minutes, are you safe here? Maybe some Assassin is nearby in Hide etc. I waited my entire life for game like that. Thanks AoC.