Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Summoner as second class

KilzoKilzo Member, Founder, Kickstarter
So I didn’t really see any info about what does a summoner do as a secondary class. Haven’t really managed to get an idea of what type of augments they will have.
Any info about that?

Comments

• Options
    ArthanMArthanM Member
    edited July 2020
    I am not sure how will this work for some other classes too.
    Like it is fairly easy to figure out how fighter/mage will work. Adding magic or debuffs to normal physical attacks.
    What will mage/fighter do though? What can fighter add to mage's fireball or cleric's healing?
  • Options
    arsnnarsnn Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    There is no info on what exactly classes gonna be like, not for the primary class and even less for the secondary class. There are several examples that steven made on how mach the secondary class will augment the playstyle, but the rest is currently up to your imagination, maybe you got some nice hints or ideas for intrepid to implement.
    A little indicator are the class combo names though, i specifically remember the falconer as an example for a secondary summoner and ranger as primary. I see this combo having the capability for having a falcon that you can send to fly around and spot targets for you, once spotted you could command him to dive on the enemy which may slow or mark him.
  • Options
    CrocosCrocos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    So for now we can only really guess as we don't have any offical info on it. At a guess, varying from class to class, it will provide temporary summons or buffs. For example the Bladecaller could have floating blades be summoned as they fight which attack enemies, but unlike primary class summoner the summons aren't permanent. Or perhaps with Warlock & Falconer they go a different route where you have only 1 permanent summon(something like a imp or a falcon).
  • Options
    crocos wrote: »
    So for now we can only really guess as we don't have any offical info on it. At a guess, varying from class to class, it will provide temporary summons or buffs. For example the Bladecaller could have floating blades be summoned as they fight which attack enemies, but unlike primary class summoner the summons aren't permanent. Or perhaps with Warlock & Falconer they go a different route where you have only 1 permanent summon(something like a imp or a falcon).

With the Bladecaller I imagine that it's similar to the Blade & Soul's Blade Master and their ability for "Flock of Blades". Perhaps it may just be a handful of blade summoned that swing around yourself for a bit. Or a heavy strike fighter ability follows through with 3 other spectral blade. The image for Bladecaller that comes to mind is League of Legend's Irelia with her close gap ability and the follow up strikes with multiple blades.
    E8OOol.gif
  • Options
    Well a hint might be in the class names. I would expect you would get some sort of pet that would help you in your primary job.

Songcaller - IDK
    Shaman - Woodland creature? (maybe you would summon something and fuse with it?)
    Bladecaller - you would have a dancing scimitar type construct?
    Warlock - Maybe a homunculus familiar you have some sort of blood bond to.
    Falconer - hummmm an avian friend?
    Shadowlord - IDK
    Keeper - some sort of armored pet to help with tanking, could be it's own off-tank!?

isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    lunarskylunarsky Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    We don't know at this point. Summoner and Bard will probably be the last two archetypes they release info on, to be honest. Those support/DPS roles will take the most fine tunning to make sure they're relevant and balanced. Hopefully by A2.
    signature.png
  • Options
    Bard/Summoner - summons an instrument to continue playing a song as you switch to the second song. When you switch to the third song, changes instrument to match second song.

I'm on the money. >:)
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    We still dont really know how these classes will play:
    -Fighter
    -Rogue
    -Bard
    -Summoner
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Kaelang wrote: »
    Bard/Summoner - summons an instrument to continue playing a song as you switch to the second song. When you switch to the third song, changes instrument to match second song.

Instead of making a music instrument to keep on playing the song, why not leave an afterimage behind that will keep on playing for you? ;D

Imagine a spectral quartet of musicians playing different songs all at the same time. (They could even design the songs to fit with one another)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »
    Kaelang wrote: »

Instead of making a music instrument to keep on playing the song, why not leave an afterimage behind that will keep on playing for you? ;D

Imagine a spectral quartet of musicians playing different songs all at the same time. (They could even design the songs to fit with one another)

I like it...

I also think this may be somewhat broken. ;)
  • Options
    I think also IS has not a current 100% plan about all the class combinations. I hope it works. I'm currently not yet convinced of this system.
  • Options
    We will have to see. I am looking forward to my secondary class of Summoner.
    Hoping as a Cleric I can summon a support shade or something to help heal\debuff .
    Smaller group play I would like to pull out a Tank or DPS to help in the area that we need.
    Lets put some great ideas out there and see if they like it enough to build it that way.
    Melthorn thanks you
  • Options
    Melthorn wrote: »
    Hoping as a Cleric I can summon a support shade or something to help heal\debuff .
    Smaller group play I would like to pull out a Tank or DPS to help in the area that we need.
    Lets put some great ideas out there and see if they like it enough to build it that way.

I would assume/hope that summoner primary is a bit of a jack of all trades. 3 pet max, tank/rangedDPS/support.

Subclass would alter strengths and diversity. So a Necro might have a pet Zerg build, or a support orientated option. Whereas summoner/tank has a pet just one, that's basically a tank.

I'm actually really curious to see what the summoner skills outside of pets are. I'm honestly expecting some sort of hybrid caster.

A mixture of medium damage range spells and then support skills that enable their pets.
  • Options
    Shadowlord is such a menacing name, I really hope that it's as cool as it sounds
    But I wonder what double classing in summoner is going to do?
  • Options
    @MVParadox That's a good question. There isn't much info on augments to theory craft with, but Steven's philosophy seems to be one of being able to go wide or go deep in your specialization tree.

We have no idea how competitive racial augments will be with secondary class augments but they've hinted at the fact that secondary class augments will require a point investment to unlock them that would lead me to believe the doubling down on a class lets you go wider invest more points in more abilities and might make your racial choices more important.

As for the Shadowlord, I immediately think of a stealthy caster who can disguise himself as his pets and swap places with them.
  • Options

I would assume/hope that summoner primary is a bit of a jack of all trades. 3 pet max, tank/rangedDPS/support.

Subclass would alter strengths and diversity. So a Necro might have a pet Zerg build, or a support orientated option. Whereas summoner/tank has a pet just one, that's basically a tank.

I'm actually really curious to see what the summoner skills outside of pets are. I'm honestly expecting some sort of hybrid caster.

A mixture of medium damage range spells and then support skills that enable their pets.

I imagine his will be much like the hunter/warlock classes from WoW as this is how most games work pets into the game. Aion had a similar class doing this as does gw2. Its tried, tested and works.

What you'll see in this case is a targeting system for the pets, debuffs for enemies and control spells to prevent them from just running past your pet to attack you, and buffs for your pet etc.

As for secondary the wiki said they summon "weapon" that cannot be equipped so I'd imagine for a tank you could add onto a shield bash a summon to summon shield next to you that gives you extra defense etc, or a rogue could summon a dagger that stabs the person in the back when they do a backstab etc though this isnt confirmed
  • Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    They go over, and you get a pretty good idea if the summoner on their wiki page.
  • Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There will even be multiple person summons for seiges and such. :) For a bigger baddie to appear on the battle field.
    No, this is not to be confused with family summons.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

So Flynt from RWBY?
    @MVParadox As for the Shadowlord, I immediately think of a stealthy caster who can disguise himself as his pets and swap places with them.

I'd imagine that being like the new Echo Knight subclass for D&D 5e, where it's just a shadow clone of yourself that you could swap places with or attack though it has very little hp, meant more for strategic placement.
    MVParadox wrote: »
    Shadowlord is such a menacing name, I really hope that it's as cool as it sounds
    But I wonder what double classing in summoner is going to do?

I could see the first selection being the ability to summon units, and the 2nd selection being able to use parts of summoned creatures. Like primary summoning a large Minotaur like monster who is a meat shield and bellows out war cries to aggro that stays on the field, then your secondary being you summon a kraken tentacle whose only out for a second that's designed to pull creatures towards you.
    E8OOol.gif
  • Options
    I still don't understand the difference between summoner/X and X/summoner. Having a summoner part will always allow you to summon something? I hope not. I hope these are locked by summoner/X, else you'd be taking away class identity and summoner can do other things aswell.
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫
  • Options
    Valento92
    I am sure a Primary Class Summoner will have more options and Summon choices than a secondary class summoner.
    Melthorn thanks you
  • Options
    LowQuey wrote: »

I imagine his will be much like the hunter/warlock classes from WoW as this is how most games work pets into the game. Aion had a similar class doing this as does gw2. Its tried, tested and works.

What you'll see in this case is a targeting system for the pets, debuffs for enemies and control spells to prevent them from just running past your pet to attack you, and buffs for your pet etc.

As for secondary the wiki said they summon "weapon" that cannot be equipped so I'd imagine for a tank you could add onto a shield bash a summon to summon shield next to you that gives you extra defense etc, or a rogue could summon a dagger that stabs the person in the back when they do a backstab etc though this isnt confirmed

Aye, Guardian from GW2 had temporary summons that were basically weapons that did damage/healing/mitigation and while they were poorly implemented and simply out scaled by newer class builds in later expansions, I see where you're coming from.

• Options
    @Celestial Scythe yeah I envisioned a cross between your DnD reference and Gw2 thief stealth mixed with Mesmer pet/clone spam.
  • Options
    Valento92 wrote: »
    I still don't understand the difference between summoner/X and X/summoner. Having a summoner part will always allow you to summon something? I hope not. I hope these are locked by summoner/X, else you'd be taking away class identity and summoner can do other things aswell.

Summoner main class will give you your abilities.
    Summon x thing for example
    Summoner secondary class will give you access to 4 augmentation schools that are summoner themed.

Main Class gives you your abilities, secondary class adapts them.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    sounds not like the gameplay will changes from a secondary class to another one.
  • Options
    Raidri wrote: »
    sounds not like the gameplay will changes from a secondary class to another one.

?
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Raidri wrote: »

?

IKR 😂🤣💀
  • Options
    Valento92 wrote: »

I'd imagine that it's like how I said earlier, Summon/X, you bring creatures to the field. X/Summon, you borrow a creature's ability. I did a tank example earlier, let's say a Rogue/Summoner, perhaps in line with their shadowstep, you borrow a ghost's eternalness and are able to walk through walls?
    E8OOol.gif