Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

random encounters / passive beings

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    nagash wrote: »
    damokles wrote: »
    @nagash
    Did i hear, PET ROCK?!?
    hqdefault.jpg

its clive! Soviet will be so happy to see you again
    In Soviet Russia, rock pets you.
  • Options
    caedwyncaedwyn Member
    edited July 2019
    dygz wrote: »
    grisu wrote: »
    princess-6-1024x550.png

If you know this I hope you know the implications of the picture :3

So for (simplified) clarification. This is an actual god, usually in the form of a deer. He gets ambushed and his head chopped off. He transformed into this gigantic thing chasing those who have hurt him.
    It's an unbeatable encounter, the only thing to do is accept your fate now or somehow make peace with him.
    A world to explore that goes beyond kill or be killed, that would be amazing.
    I think what I would want to see here, is a godlike mob that completely ignores characters as it observes in a trance-like state. People can eventually kill it, but, it will not attack, there will be no drops and it will respawn after 45 seconds.
    Or, when hit, it chases you and attacks, but does no damage and when killed there will be no drops and it respawns after 45 seconds.

why 45 seconds? XD
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @nagash
    Did i hear, PET ROCK?!?
    hqdefault.jpg

Thats Rocky, you barbarian! Clive is a free rock, most likely already the leader of a tribe of rocks.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2019
    caedwyn wrote: »
    why 45 seconds? XD
    To demonstrate the abject futility of killing those types of mobs.

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @nagash
    Did i hear, PET ROCK?!?
    hqdefault.jpg

Thats Rocky, you barbarian! Clive is a free rock, most likely already the leader of a tribe of rocks.

im so glad someone got the reference
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    anyone else has something they wish to add ?
  • Options
    Would be interesting if something they touch or leave in their path as they go by that you have to search for to use as a very rare crafting or trade item.
  • Options
    AlluringAlluring Moderator, Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    ooOoo I love these, and would love to encounter something like this. Glowing creatures/tattoos and things of that nature are my jam
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    sylsyl Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'd love to see these random things on my travels, it keeps it from being dull landscape after you've traversed it for a dozen times. Though I imagine nodes also play a part of not-dulling the landscape.
    forum_sig2.png
    Come take a look at ashesofcreation.wiki!
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I got a beta key for Rift for it's last beta before it launched.
    Rolled a Defiant mage. Got through the starter area and into the main game. Killing some wolves and noticed a shield moving across the mini map toward me. I turned just in time to get steam rolled by a random Alliance patrol NPC group. It also killed some of the wolves on it's way through the area.
    I logged out and bought the game while still dead.
    Personally I love mobs that aren't static. Hope IS will have some that will patrol the zones like the Void Reaver or just smaller mobs that move around.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    HumblePuffinHumblePuffin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    dancer wrote: »
    Would be interesting if something they touch or leave in their path as they go by that you have to search for to use as a very rare crafting or trade item.

I am kind of in love this. Some giant slug thing leaving behind slime that you can harvest, or this creatures giant tail is so heavy and hard that it leaves a small valley behind it that exposes gems and minerals. Maybe even this a way that you find rich deposits that let you know this is a good place to gather the resource.

I think stuff like that would make gathering a blast. An actual relationship with the world you can see happening.
  • Options
    dancer wrote: »

I am kind of in love this. Some giant slug thing leaving behind slime that you can harvest, or this creatures giant tail is so heavy and hard that it leaves a small valley behind it that exposes gems and minerals. Maybe even this a way that you find rich deposits that let you know this is a good place to gather the resource.

I think stuff like that would make gathering a blast. An actual relationship with the world you can see happening.

just remember a creature that giant, also leaves behind some other things XD that are huge too XD
  • Options
    I kind of understand the feeling of exploration stuff you're trying to put in this discussion but for me it seems pointless to invest time and resources from the developers into something that's just gonna be there, if there is something like a demi god entity in the forest or a ghost or something I want to be able to interact with it, besides a lot of people here are thinking "the only 2 choices I have to interact with a creature is either to kill it or leave it alone" I don't blame you, because most of the MMORPG are like this, but we need to think that maybe Intrepid can come with a variety of options for this type of encounters :#
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Lumbermark wrote: »
    I kind of understand the feeling of exploration stuff you're trying to put in this discussion but for me it seems pointless to invest time and resources from the developers into something that's just gonna be there, if there is something like a demi god entity in the forest or a ghost or something I want to be able to interact with it, besides a lot of people here are thinking "the only 2 choices I have to interact with a creature is either to kill it or leave it alone" I don't blame you, because most of the MMORPG are like this, but we need to think that maybe Intrepid can come with a variety of options for this type of encounters :#

https://youtu.be/7mnvuoLs2wY

"if I kill it maybe it will have loot!"
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options

Do you know Aion?
    They had these ginourmous untargetable fourlegged creatures, that where just there to look great.
    You could land on their backs and refill your stamina, or just watch the sunset.
    Did they do anything besides eating? No, no they did not. Where they cool and did they give the zone some more character? Yes, yes they did.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    @LieutenantToast

while i agree that there can be more options with them, for example, side quests or achievements or titles or unlocking pets or for example picking up a fallen scale from them ...

i also agree with @Damokles
  • Options
    imagine you are swimming and all of a sudden you hear a very loud and clear voice like "oi"
    and you see this guy talking to you
    FishForLife_Concept_Fish_small.png
    or it could be any other kind of fish in a pond that you could visit every day and every day it has some jokes or etc

i think it would be awesome
  • Options
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    PlateauPlateau Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sorry to necro this thread but I just found it, and it's really quite inspiring the kind of ideas y'all have brought up. Like, MMO players are so used to seeing only 3 kinds of NPCs: hostile ones that your supposed to kill and loot, friendly ones with big obvious markers that give you quests, or neutral ones that maybe have a couple lines of dialogue for flavor.

There should be other ways to interact with the world though. Little mice that run around the forest floor, occasionally leading you to secret stashes. Weird deific beings that seem to just watch over the region, until you offend or pay homage to them (in ways that you would only know if you pay attention to local folklore). Powerful dragons that could be killed and looted as expected, but could also be let loose on the environment to change it in different ways (depending on the type of dragon).

Like oh, there's no good mining spots nearby your node? Well maybe instead of killing that Earth dragon, you can watch what it likes to eat, bring it more of that, and then get to mining all the, uh, byproducts that are left in it's wake. (Yes, it's dragon poop, but it's also a very sturdy crafting material. Nature is not always so majestic.)
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I love how you mention necro right after a posts by @Nagash... :)
  • Options
    PlateauPlateau Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Undead Canuck What can I say, his power is inspiring. I had to give the necromantic arts a try, myself.
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • Options
    Oh no, one more necromancer... You will all soon have to fight over who gets which cadavre.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    I LIVE!!! well sort of
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    I am necroing this thread, because of the latest livestream.
    Steven and Jeffrey seemed to really like the idea of such creatures and i really hope that they will implement them ;)

(Another reason is because the pictures here look dope)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    time to add more then
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    anymore ideas people ?
  • Options
    anymore ideas people ?

Well unless you want skeleboies ?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    anymore ideas people ?

Well unless you want skeleboies ?
    ofc ! why not !
  • Options
    Awesome idea if you ask me. Always good to see some godlike being strolling around in the world that makes you wonder "What if i did something to piss it off? Would it split the planet it 2?"
  • Options
    I like this kind of stuff in games and stories as well. I would mind having interaction with some of them though, such as offering them gifts and in return they give a gift or some kind of blessing, or even running into some that curse you and require some kind of steps taken to lift the curse.