Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Parkour

MinkkuMinkku Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
I'd like to see it.

Comments

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What for?

You can alt-tab into any platform game at anytime. Even now.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    stick to the classic - Jumping maybe be a dodgeroll and a combo of the two.
    no need for wallwalks at all
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    edited August 2020
    Soft parkour, hell yeah.
    But non-intended, like you can go to roofs or some places if you jump very well. Some classes could have abilities or something that gives mobility or extra jump/dash too.

I like it.
  • Options
    Only if the characters shout it out as they do it.
    "Parkour!"
  • Options
    EmoNaggerEmoNagger Member
    edited August 2020
    Sounds nice to have, yea for sure.
    Is it that important for a RPG game? It is for shooter/battle royal, not really for mmorpg.
    What will it cost to have it in game? Lets see ... hours on map design/balance/bug test, wages, and most likely push back release date by several months.

Worth it? Lets ask Steve
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No its ashes of creation not mirrors edge
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited August 2020
    I would love to see climbing like in BDO. Would make things slightly more strategic. But if you do allow parkour, you need to have significant fall dmg, like in Dark Souls.
  • Options
    EmoNagger wrote: »
    hat will it cost to have it in game? Lets see ... hours on map design/balance/bug test, wages, and most likely push back release date by several months.

Guys I think you are missinterpreting, its very soft parkour, not intended, mostly climbing roofs and simple stuff. Not premade mechanics with the intention of parkour. (maybe rogues can have second jump) thats all.

• Options
    Mountain climb
  • Options
    NetoryNetory Member
    edited August 2020
    Parkour? Personally I find it unreasonably impressive whenever an mmo allows me to just jump. I can't even let myself dare to hope that I'll be able to climb a ladder! let alone dream of one day living in such a sci-fi technological utopia where I can grab and actually pull myself up over a ledge in an mmo.
    0sGgchB.png
  • Options
    rodzorrodzor Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Netory wrote: »
    Parkour? Personally I find it unreasonably impressive whenever an mmo allows me to just jump. I can't even let myself dare to hope that I'll be able to climb a ladder! let alone dream of one day living in such a sci-fi technological utopia where I can grab and actually pull myself up over a ledge in an mmo.

LOL same here. BDO was like the most movement i've experienced in an MMORPG
  • Options
    Depends on city structure I guess, but from what I've seen it doesn't seem to be a consideration at all.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    Parkour involving running across rooftops will be an option. Mobility based classes will be better at it. In Ashes of Creation Apocalypse, everyone was able to use the double jump (or triple jump, I can't remember), that will be available to mobility classes. Mainly rouge. The double jump goes high. You could get on top of at least two story buildings. Unfortunately I couldn't find a video showcasing the jump. Such a video would probably be from a few weeks after Apocalypse released once most people figured out how to use it as it was not intuitive. Falling damage does exist.

From some of the early monthly videos: there will probably be specific areas that some classes can climb into enemy castles for the purpose of completing a quest leading up to sieging that castle. Such climbing points will be specific. Such climbing points will also be available in dungeons. You will not be able to just climb anywhere such as in Assassins Creed games.
  • Options
    HartwellHartwell Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They did want some level of parkour, but this will be likely restricted to certain objects out in the world and to specific classes.
  • Options
    awqawq Member
    I just don't want invisible walls and stuff blocking my movement...
    Or somehow landing on an unintended area like a high pillar or a roof or something like that and it just bugs out and you start gliding off it even if it's a flat area, being unable to stand there.
  • Options
    @FuryBladeborne

Does the game have significant enough fall dmg? Like in Dark Souls?
  • Options
    Well in the video I watch Steve fall down from cliff and take no damage several times, so fall damage isn't in (yet).
  • Options
    EmoNagger wrote: »
    Well in the video I watch Steve fall down from cliff and take no damage several times, so fall damage isn't in (yet).

Or he could have special GM privileges that let him defy gravity.
  • Options
    GM privileges will make him immune to death, but he die several times as I recall. (best one is the one he got stuck in rock after teleport)
  • Options
    Maybe something like Jumping Puzzles from GW2 would be a good idea
  • Options
    ExhilirateExhilirate Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Parkour as in... implementing jumping quests?
    I can imagine the outcry!
    But probably, if any, there'll be skills in the more agile classes where something like this may be possible! Think of a double-jump or air-hop skill. I can see people clipping and AFKing on random signposts already.
    jwUwJH.png
    find me at daylightbreakfast.tv!
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    CaptnChuck wrote: »
    @FuryBladeborne

Does the game have significant enough fall dmg? Like in Dark Souls?

I never played Dark Souls, so I cannot compare. However, if I was standing on top of a castle and jumped off normally, I would die. If I used the double jump option, I could prevent the damage. However, if I was too high, then I would still take damage up to death.

The game was also testing catfall. Catfall would allow you to jump 2 or 3 stories into the air and land without damage. I think 0 damage from any height provided that the buff was still active. Of course, this is pre-Alpha testing and all parameters are subject to the possibility of change.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Catfall_Boots Ignore the fact that the ability is attached to boots, that was just for testing. The ability will be available to specific classes in Ashes.
  • Options
    EMTEMT Member
    Why not? Really, I see no reason as to why you should not other than "Not MMORPG". Screw that, push the boundaries here. It soes not have to be insane Nightcrawler crap but a bit to get over some hurdles would be nice..
  • Options
    Minkku wrote: »
    I'd like to see it.

I hope Steven won't :). I'd personally like to see jumping puzzles though - like in Wildstar or WoW
  • Options
    Being able to climb on top of a mountain or a tree and get a view from there would be pog!
  • Options
    We already saw the thief climbing the side of the tower in one of the promo videos. I think that sort of wall climbing is good enough. I wouldn't want to see people running up the sides of buildings. Unless there is some magic spell involved.
  • Options
    Climbing, using ropes and crawling through small caves would be interesting. But nothing as extreme as medieval Mirrors Edge.
  • Options
    WhitneyHagasMatsumotoWhitneyHagasMatsumoto Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As someone who grew up in the countryside, I totally understand the joy of climbing trees and steep mountains :D !

However, I feel that when you implement that into a game, you'll have to put a lot of work into designing the map ......

I enjoyed Shadow of the Colossus immediately after its release and was impressed, but unfortunately I think it would be difficult to find that in Ashes.

That said, if and when it does make it into the game successfully, I'd love to climb a giant tree that's thousands of years old <3
  • Options
    As someone who grew up in the countryside, I totally understand the joy of climbing trees and steep mountains :D !

However, I feel that when you implement that into a game, you'll have to put a lot of work into designing the map ......

I enjoyed Shadow of the Colossus immediately after its release and was impressed, but unfortunately I think it would be difficult to find that in Ashes.

That said, if and when it does make it into the game successfully, I'd love to climb a giant tree that's thousands of years old <3

Agreed! :smile:
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Some level of parkour would be nice, at least to make the movement across different areas more varied, but the more of this would be added the more issue will start to come up for example, armor weight might need to be added since someone in full plate shouldn't even be capable of jumping properly, mobility would be considered since different types of armor would not allow for the kind of movement necessary. I really do hope to see some basic climbing and what not.