Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

If you're aiming for a massive game, the masses don't like open pvp

2»

Comments

• Options
    I've tried every game that has come out in the last 15 years and none have really held my interest. I played Everquest 2 hard for over a decade. The constant watching for PvP while questing is what made it fun for me. When i was forced to a PvE server it was still fun but it lost a little of the excitement. I totally agree with the risk vs reward. I think it will force people to work together. PvP constantly had people working together in open world. From helping a fellow alliance by blocking PvP during an open world raid or just teaming up to make a statement of power to an opposing faction. Without PvP you get to a point where you don't really need anyone's help in the community but your own guild. At least that's my point of view.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Ciube wrote: »
    Here, I expected cooperation between players to give birth to cities to spawn npc that gave quests and to discover dungeons and special boss fights in dynamic open world with public events that risked destroying the villages or cities created by the players, all surrounded by PVP in dedicated areas such as Teso or GW2. But this is only my idea.

Aha, there's the problem. Have a read of the wiki and watch some of the videos, and you'll get a better understanding of what to expect.

The horror of it all! Read the wiki and watch a couple videos and know a little bit about the project BEFORE making a new forum account to tell everyone the game DOA.
    Ludicrous just ludicrous.

On the up side two troll posts in two days keeps the forums moving.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    How many pages will we reach in this topic not liking open world pvp, which is a core feature of AoC?
  • Options
    VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Imagine showing up to a game whose main gameplay loop revolves around PvP conflict and complain about the PvP... Imagine trying to change the core of the game because you don’t like PvP... oh wait that’s happened before and there was huge backlash and the game felt like an empty shell afterwards. Let’s try it again with Ashes of Creation!

People like you, @Ciube, are shameless. Stop trying to change our game and enjoy one of the many WoW clones and the sorry excuse of a MMORPG that is New World.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited October 2020
    I do not understand ...

That's ok. Stay a while. Calm down. Read, listen, and learn. You will or you won't...that's your choice.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Intrepid were transparent with the open pvp idea from the start and it still gathered a large fan base, so I'd say it will work.
  • Options
    halbarzhalbarz Member
    edited October 2020
    I think my girlfriend is a good example, she hates PvP but she does love a world that is constantly changing and open-world PvP does exactly that. She already has alpha 2 pack because she knows that the systems in Ashes are not brutal. Full loot = she and many others wouldn't bother even. Ashes created a very good balance I think and even allows those that might not like PvP to at least give it a shot without being punished for it.

Archeage for example she loved stealing from people their gardens and etc. So she knew there was a risk but she never felt like she was being punished for creating her own fun.

• Options
    HiddenDaggerInnHiddenDaggerInn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If you want for the masses play something else, this is Steven's vision and I love it!
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Here, I expected cooperation between players to give birth to cities to spawn npc that gave quests and to discover dungeons and special boss fights in dynamic open world with public events that risked destroying the villages or cities created by the players, all surrounded by PVP in dedicated areas such as Teso or GW2. But this is only my idea.

Aha, there's the problem. Have a read of the wiki and watch some of the videos, and you'll get a better understanding of what to expect.
    On the up side two troll posts in two days keeps the forums moving.

True
  • Options
    mrwafflesmrwaffles Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »
    I feel like I've seen this thread before

Well that's because it's that time of the month my dude

giphy.gif

E6qgOoi.png
  • Options
    Sov54Sov54 Member
    edited October 2020
    I know death penalty system is already decided, but:

A system we had in Tibia (old school MMO I used to play as a kid, like 20 years ago) was having experience loss penalties AND a tracking system for players.

So, killing someone for their loot may seem like a harsher punishment for the victim, but in fact it made the killer think it again before doing it, as killing the wrong guy could get you get tracked and hunted back to level 1.

So politics and having friends were important, and getting PK'd was something that you always had in mind but rarelly happened.

I bet other oldschool MMOs had the same, but that's the one I experienced.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    mrwaffles wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    I feel like I've seen this thread before

Well that's because it's that time of the month my dude

giphy.gif

more like time of the week
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    I must admit open world PvP is my main worry about AoC. In vanilla wow it was ok-ish, but it soured pretty fast when the "honour" system was introduced: players were now worth points! REWARDS! The promise of reward often twist the fun into something else.

The frontier zones in Dark Age of Camelot were a good application of risk vs reward. Bonus XPs because no one was leveling there, but someone could jump you once in awhile. When the access to Darkness Fall changed it was also a fun chaos, whether your faction gained the access or lost it while you were in.

Although a bit worried I'm also hopeful. Ganking will have consequences, for one, but since there are no hard factions branding the other side as automatic and permanent enemies, pvp should be more objective orientated. You fight over resources, land, rivals but nothing is hard baked, it can change. Some players can stay neutral.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2020
    Sov54 wrote: »
    A system we had in Tibia ...was having experience loss penalties AND a tracking system for players.

So, killing someone for their loot may seem like a harsher punishment for the victim, but in fact it made the killer think it again before doing it, as killing the wrong guy could get you get tracked and hunted back to level 1.
    While we cannot have our level reduced, we currently have experience debt that must be repaid to continue leveling AND a tracking system for players that kill others in the form of bounty hunters.

Additionally, while you have experience debt you incur the following penalties,
    • Skill and stat dampening
    • Lower health and mana
    • Lower gear proficiency
    • Reduction in drops from monsters
    • Drop a percentage of raw materials
    All of the above penalties increase with greater experience debt. Additionally, corruption from killing players adds the same penalties with additional penalties.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_death
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Bounty_hunters
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Corruption
  • Options
    The masses like Candy Crush. Are they aiming to make the most interesting and best game they can, or should they just aim to make the most money?