Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Turnip Farming

Comments

• Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited November 2020
    PlagueMonk wrote: »
    Sathrago wrote: »
    PlagueMonk wrote: »
    Bah, vege-ta-bableses are yuck :p

Meat-sis is where it's at

Oh is it now? Perhaps we should start with you then?

tenor.gif?itemid=7996838

BOY YOU LOOKIN' TASTY!

You really want a piece of me? I would advice understanding Skaven better before you go with that thought. ;)

Papa Nergel taught me not to be picky with my food.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    But what about cabbages?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    But what about cabbages?

If you go back to my original posts here I just wanted to raid cabbage farmers.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2020
    Baldrick reveals his recipe for "Turnip Surprise" - "the surprise is : there's nothing in it except the turnip"

I think that is the only permissible Black Adder reference to turnips that the forum will safely allow.
  • Options
    akabear wrote: »
    Baldrick reveals his recipe for "Turnip Surprise" - "the surprise is : there's nothing in it except the turnip"

I think that is the only permissible Black Adder reference to turnips that the forum will safely allow.

But will you have your turnip mashed, or as God intended?!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    I think at this point is obvious that there needs to be a beet and turnip faction to go with the Scholar's academy, Thieves' guild, and Trader's company.
  • Options
    But what about cabbages?

ah yes... MY CABBAGES
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    But what about cabbages?

EachThirstyHawk-small.gif
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited November 2020
    Turnips? BeetS? Cabbage?

None compares to Lettuce! Your soil's fate depends on us, it is in our rights, it is in our name.
    LET TUCE DECIDE YOUR FATE!
    Hail the al mighty Lactuca sativa
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited November 2020
    novercalis wrote: »
    Turnips? BeetS? Cabbage?

None compares to Lettuce! Your soil's fate depends on us, it is in our rights, it is in our name.
    LET TUCE DECIDE YOUR FATE!
    Hail the al mighty Lactuca sativa

4lxicv.jpg
  • Options
    I have to agree with the picture above lettuce is the worst of all vegetables its the one thing we can all agree on at the very least.
  • Options
    Credit wrote: »
    I have to agree with the picture above lettuce is the worst of all vegetables its the one thing we can all agree on at the very least.

Ugh, the cauliflower takes the "worst of all veg" prize. Ugh!

Ugh!

UGH!!!
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    daveywavey wrote: »

Ugh!

UGH!!!

for me it's celery - except in soups. Celery makes certains soups taste great.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I only really hate celery and rubarb.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »

Ugh!

UGH!!!

I use celery in my cooking as a replacement for onion, cos cutting celery doesn't make me bawl like a tiny baby.
  • Options

Ugh!

UGH!!!

I use celery in my cooking as a replacement for onion, cos cutting celery doesn't make me bawl like a tiny baby.

WHAT?
    I could not live without onions.
    onion+carrot+potato.
    the triforce of earthen veggies.
  • Options

Ugh!

UGH!!!

I cant believe that anyone doesnt like the tast of onions.
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    It's not the taste I don't like, it's that they hurt my eyes when I cut them. I end up having to chop them with my eyes closed, which surprisingly enough hasn't yet resulted in any injuries!
  • Options
    It's not the taste I don't like, it's that they hurt my eyes when I cut them. I end up having to chop them with my eyes closed, which surprisingly enough hasn't yet resulted in any injuries!

No joke, get swimming goggles. May sound laughable, may look stupid, does work. (Those that also cover your nose)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options

Finally I can show off my true talent! My eyes dont water when I chop onions. Booyah
  • Options
    Burning a candle nearby helps, as well as breathing through your mouth. For some reason, those work at cutting (heh) back on the tears.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Damokles wrote: »

No joke, get swimming goggles. May sound laughable, may look stupid, does work. (Those that also cover your nose)

@daveywavey

This is true, it does work.

Three other things to try are - use old onions, ensure good ventilation when cutting and/or make sure you are using a very, VERY sharp knife.

The juice in onions is what irritates when it is dispersed as a mist in the air, and each of these three things reduces how much of that juice is dispersed, or how much of it comes in to contact with you.

Another thing that some people swear by, though that I am somewhat dubious about, is storing them in a refrigeragor.

That said, if used well, onions are worth the irritation anyway.
  • Options
    I've tried a number of things people have suggested to me. Wearing sunglasses, cutting the onions under a running tap, holding a wooden spoon in my mouth while I chop, etc.

FYI: don't try the running tap thing. I lost half of the chopped onion down the sink.....
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited November 2020
    I've tried a number of things people have suggested to me. Wearing sunglasses, cutting the onions under a running tap, holding a wooden spoon in my mouth while I chop, etc.

FYI: don't try the running tap thing. I lost half of the chopped onion down the sink.....

None of those things would work, as they aren't preventing the root cause of the issue (mist from the onion getting in your eyes and nose).

A sharp knife is by far your best friend with onions. If it isn't sharp enough to be used as a razor, it shouldn't be used to cut an onion (not that you should use one knife for both jobs...).
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    A sharp knife is by far your best friend with onions. If it isn't sharp enough to be used as a razor, it shouldn't be used to cut an onion (not that you should use one knife for both jobs...).

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Okra and eggplant are the worst. 😧🤭🤢🤮
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »

I've had bad okra and eggplant. Gooey and mushy. ew.
    But I've also had good eggplant:
    shallow fried with ginger and a little dressing - crunch and juicy with a little zing!
    MMMMMMM <3
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Best thing you could do with eggplant:
    1. Slice it in thick slices, fry them in oil, get some turkish 10% joghurt, put both on a slice of bread.
    2. Cook some tomato sauce, dice the eggplant and fry it in oil, put the eggplant in the tomatosauce, serve with rice and greek/turkish joghurt.
    3. Peel stripes into the eggplant, slice it in half, bake it so that it gets a bit mushy, hollow it out slightly, put a combination of meat and tomatoes inside it, bake till finished.

(if you want to make it then you would better search for recipes for the later 2 the first is easy enough ;D)

Bet thing you could to with okra:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV2ii1tTleY
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »

Best thing you could do with eggplant:
    1. Slice it in thick slices, fry them in oil, get some turkish 10% joghurt, put both on a slice of bread.
    2. Cook some tomato sauce, dice the eggplant and fry it in oil, put the eggplant in the tomatosauce, serve with rice and greek/turkish joghurt.
    3. Peel stripes into the eggplant, slice it in half, bake it so that it gets a bit mushy, hollow it out slightly, put a combination of meat and tomatoes inside it, bake till finished.

And, if you want to make it even better, swap the eggplant out for lamb or chicken! Perfect!
  • Options
    CrosimCrosim Member
    edited November 2020

And, if you want to make it even better, swap the eggplant out for lamb or chicken! Perfect!

Agreed. Meat is the best veggie. I hear tulnar grow underground. Sounds like another root vegetable to me.