Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

AFK XP gain, good or bad?

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Just as the title states, some MMORPG`s offer certain activities that provide a player with XP while they are not actively playing, such as BDO`s fishing.

Whilst I do enjoy that gain, as it is a mechanic in game, it is not something I would want in game if I had the choice.

So, AFK XP gain, is it something players want or not? (or is it not that simple)
https://strawpoll.com/qcgwxs3y8

Comments

• NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No thanks. For several reasons, anything that incentivizes people to go afk instead of logging off, is a bad idea. Server community issues, login queues, electrical bill, climate change, to name the obvious ones.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No.

What is it that you enjoy about being rewarded for doing nothing verse being rewarded for being an achiever?
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Slippery slope
  • I could see the processing artisans having a "practice" mode they can enter to gain experience by pooring gold down a sink in an afk manner perhaps even crafters... but this would work fine early on in the games life and get worse and worse as it ages due to the gradual increase of the available gold for players. This would make skilling up certain artisans easy for alt characters but idk if that would be a good thing for the health of the game.

5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • "There will not be AFK leveling in Ashes of Creation.[26]

We want this game to be played. If there are things that you can do to not play the game and still progress, we've done something wrong.[26] – Jeffrey Bard"

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Leveling
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • I think afk levelling is stupid. Why should you get rewarded for not being in-game?!
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @daveywavey thanks.. and there endeth the thread
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like the “rest” system where you get a certain amount of bonus XP for logging out in a particular location, like your freehold or a town. Lots of MMOs use something like that. For example, for every hour spent in a rest area (online or offline) your next 5% of experience is gained twice as fast.

It’s basically the opposite of XP debt, which we know Ashes will have, and maybe it can also be used to slowly eliminate XP debt?

Hhak63P.png
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    big no from me on this. I always thought this was silly in WOW as it rewarded people (VERY minimally) for not playing the game. It's a thing that is put in place to allow players to "catch up" but I don't feel this is needed. If I for some reason fall behind, I don't want to be given freebies to catch up. I want to experience it like everyone else.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2020
    daveywavey wrote: »
    "There will not be AFK leveling in Ashes of Creation.[26]

We want this game to be played. If there are things that you can do to not play the game and still progress, we've done something wrong.[26] – Jeffrey Bard"

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Leveling
    This quote refers to some kind of macro or repetitive action like being logged in and hitting on something or running a horse in a circle (or Atama's example: fishing).

We should not get xp while logged in and afk.
    I do like activities that I can do on my mobile device while on the bus or train to work.
    IIRC, in NWO, we could do some crafting from mobile devices without being logged into the actual game.
    Might be nice if we could schedule caravan runs from mobile devices.
    Maybe somehow participate in tavern games.

Whatever it might be should involve some active participation, though.
  • XyphienXyphien Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I honestly don't know why this is something people like, AFK Arena, all mobile games practically, MMO's are starting to do this too even. It doesn't make any sense, you play games to... play games. Why would you want to gain EXP and cheat the system without actually playing it, where's the fun in it, and where's the rewards. If you gain EXP from afking there isn't any actual reward in gaining afk at all as you can just gain it by not doing anything, so why even do anything.

On top of that, as stated, you have people logged on afking which means they're not logged off and taking over someone elses spot on the server. Servers can't hold an infinite amount of people, and as such you need people to log off from time to time it doesn't take too much resources.

IMHO the afk reward mindset is lazy and also stimulates from the everyone gets a trophy mentality which this game is completely against. This game is bringing back the old school, retro feel of MMOs where you have to work on everything for an actual sense of accomplishment after it's all said and done. Not some, here so you're happy we're giving you everything you ever want so you don't feel left out concept.

From what I can tell the closest thing like this that will be in the game will be buffs when you log in from sleeping in a bed, or with your spouse.
  • Dygz wrote: »
    I do like activities that I can do on my mobile device while on the bus or train to work.

Absolutely. I'd class that as being "logged in". You're just logged in via a different platform.
  • No.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Terri-bad idea!

A solid 'no', for launch; Maybe several years in when a lot of the player-base has already ground multiple characters to max-level.
  • No to AFK XP gain - even with processing (i.e. no queuing massive processing jobs and AFK'ing)
  • FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Atama wrote: »
    I like the “rest” system where you get a certain amount of bonus XP for logging out in a particular location, like your freehold or a town. Lots of MMOs use something like that. For example, for every hour spent in a rest area (online or offline) your next 5% of experience is gained twice as fast.

It’s basically the opposite of XP debt, which we know Ashes will have, and maybe it can also be used to slowly eliminate XP debt?

Taverns offer rested experience (rested XP) for those who rent rooms or spend time as patrons of the tavern.[1]

Rested experience allows players to gain experience at a faster rate for a period of time.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Rested_experience

There are sleep mechanics that require a crafted bed.[3]
    Certain beds will have rested XP benefits. Some bunk-beds will boost the rested XP if two family members are sleeping in the bed at the same time.[4]
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Beds

It looks like the plan is for only way to get rid of corruption is by grinding mobs. Which I think is great because corrupted players cannot essentially avoid the penalty by logging that character and playing another.
    Rested xp is significantly different than gaining xp while AFK. And healthy.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It looks like the plan is for only way to get rid of corruption is by grinding mobs. Which I think is great because corrupted players cannot essentially avoid the penalty by logging that character and playing another.
    I agree. XP debt is one thing, corruption is another.

Hhak63P.png
  • unphazdunphazd Member, Intrepid Pack
    Atama wrote: »

Yes a rested EXP bonus is fine but AFK EXP is just a stone age and lazy mechanic.
    giphy.gif

• heres a question to the people in this thread. Do we consider Crafting multiple items (perhaps over the coarse of 10 minutes) an AFK mechanic or an Active mechanic? should crafting reward xp?

Pro: Crafting rewarding XP means that their won't be a lack of items in the early game of the server, and early game items will always be available, and keeps the early game resources value consistent.
    Con: could reward a sedentary play style where you could (theoretically) reach max level just through crafting alone which depending on your viewpoint could be a bad thing.

Thoughts?
  • heres a question to the people in this thread. Do we consider Crafting multiple items (perhaps over the coarse of 10 minutes) an AFK mechanic or an Active mechanic? should crafting reward xp?

Pro: Crafting rewarding XP means that their won't be a lack of items in the early game of the server, and early game items will always be available, and keeps the early game resources value consistent.
    Con: could reward a sedentary play style where you could (theoretically) reach max level just through crafting alone which depending on your viewpoint could be a bad thing.

Thoughts?
    I would be fine if there was a queue up system if it worked similarly to the final fantasy 14 version. Basically the chance of making a higher quality item increases if you actively craft the item rather than spamming it put with this "afk" method.
    I'd say no to crafting giving exp to the adventurer level.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • I don't want a "craft this and get it in X-mins/X-hours" system. That always annoys me. I liked the way they did it in ESO where, if you have the resources, you spend them to get the crafted item there and then.
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No!

Gaining exp should involve actually playing the game not afking.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    heres a question to the people in this thread. Do we consider Crafting multiple items (perhaps over the coarse of 10 minutes) an AFK mechanic or an Active mechanic? should crafting reward xp?

Thoughts?

I never cared for the way SWToR or EVE did crafting. Hated setting a queue of items to be crafted with real time and walking away.
    As far as getting XP for it I am split on this. Some people love to just play the crafting game and selling their stuff. Seen some games where the adventurer and crafter levels are separate which seems like a good way to go.
    The EQ2 mini crafting game was kinda neat but I didn't get real far in that game so not sure how painful it becomes at higher levels.

To the original point No there should never be any thing accomplished while AFK. This just leads to people staying logged in and stopping other people from playing if there is a large server population(here's hoping).
    Same goes for leveling abilities over time based on use. Seen people find a corner near a mob crouch and place a fishing weight on W so they are constantly sneaking just to level the skill up.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
    Seems to me that crafting should be active and engaging, rather than an activity that can be done AFK.
    If possible to AFK, the resulting products should be the lowest quality possible.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    The EQ2 mini crafting game was kinda neat but I didn't get real far in that game so not sure how painful it becomes at higher levels.
    A more refined version of this could work well in Ashes.

Where this system did work well wasn't the ability to make easy crafts easy to the point the m8ni-game was pointless, but keeping it so that higher tier crafts needed success on this mini-game.

The problem in EQ2 is that you had that same mini-game, for every craft, for every class. This means thatcraftinga swordfeltexactly the same as crafting a chair, a scroll, or your dinner.

Take that general idea, but give a different nine-game to each class, and you have a fairly good system.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2020
    @Noaani
    it would also mean the artisan skill tree can go a lot deeper if the skills in the tree can boost the minigame
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Not naming which game, but a mmo from early 2000... the early crafting was so bad.. if you arranged your in-game windows on top of one another (or where they would appear when that crafting stage was met), all you had to do was **click** the left mouse button.... over and over and over... after roughly 8000 "combines" you'd be a master crafter in that field. It would take roughly 9 to 12hrs to get all the combines done. I'd have to do it in spurts and watching tv... Technically i was playing and at the keyboard... but I was no engaged wit hthe game in the slightest. Due to this grind, many people automated the process by running a program that just **clicked** the mouse button over and over.

Long story short, make crafting engaging.. not "click 'n build" or "whack-a-mole", but actually engaging. Thanks!

It dose give me some hope that there are SWG devs working on Ashes; very inventive and awesome in its day, and could be even better in the current age.... I know this crafting will be completely different; but I know the creativity is there within the team. :)