Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Types of armor we want to see

Comments

• Options
    Without quoting two large image heavy posts, I just want to heavily throw my support behind these two posts -

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/comment/273688/#Comment_273688

and

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/comment/273794/#Comment_273794

They both have some really pretty, stylish, fantasy armors that are totally up my alley. A lot of the armors we've seen so far, while graphically high quality and rather detailed, are just boring, ugly, and as some have mentioned, too medieval. The above posts I'd love to see in this game, or something similar.

Neurath wrote: »
    Py-Rai Bard Robes I would go for:

Forest-Elf-Fairy-Elven-Costume-Maxi-Train-Dress-Hooded-Gown-Robe-Celtic-Princess-Pagan-Witch-Wedding.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

This I'd totally go for as well and if they went this route it might be a good middle ground between stylish and realistic. Just please, let me put the hood down so I can see my hair and face.
  • Options
    CypherCypher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2021
    Merek wrote: »
    Cypher wrote: »
    Well they just showed off yet another plain old medieval steel armor and while I understand it took talent and skill to create, I don’t like it. I dislike medieval very much so. Ashes of creation is supposed to be high fantasy which is a different story. It shares similarities with medieval but that’s it. I want to see some real flare and imagination in some armors. Where the hell is the fantasy part? A few, just a few, limited cash shop pieces have stuck out as high fantasy rather than just medieval and even fewer have also looked like something I’d care to own. I’m only ranting because I know ashes will be a great game with a high fantasy setting and I want less plain-jane armors. Maybe put in some, dare I say “cute” armors for the females in particular.

TL,DR: Need less medieval armor, more fantasy armor/clothing.

I absolutely hate what most people like about high fantasy, their ideas of "cool" armor always look like over-designed garbage. There needs to be a good balance between the both. Unrealistic armor may look cool to some, but to others, it looks like a bargin bin toy. You could always go ahead and post high fantasy armors you personally like, I would like to see the direction you'd like the armor design to head towards.

13cUWbo.jpg
    Cloaked-warrior.jpg
    a8d77d3c499dc5c9ce0d283b842aaf9c.jpg
    488f30c07aef77ecc0ec2f3447c75f9a.jpg
    12cb1cf7a7e3ad33ca7954259f26a6c0.jpg
    e199d959a6b54f0106ba36d3ecdcab03.jpg
    5fa84431dc116f934c0b7d5eb00db62f.png

There. Examples of what I like. None of them are over the top over-designed crazy nonsense. There is also a variety here rather than everything essentially looking the same which is what I don't want. Real world clothing variety is vast and with all the in-game races and classes it wouldn’t be a problem to have tons of styles and types of sets.

What I’m wanting is for you to get what you want and for you to let me get what I want also.
    I don’t want to exclude overly realistic armors from the game, I want what I (and many others) like to be included as well. Most of the armors so far seem either very realistic or very prudish or both.

Playing a fantasy MMO here, not a medieval simulator. You wear what you want, I’ll wear what I want. Provided we’d actually be listened to and get this kind of stuff included in the game. I want to enjoy what my character looks like just as much as you. But people have different tastes.

So long as it doesn’t look like something outside the realm of possibility like cyberpunk style or neon space-themed then I think we can all be happy!
    🙂

EDIT: Fixed image formatting (was doing it on my phone before ;D )
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2021
    I prefer hoods to be functional and over my head, because, I can often hide the hood in cosmetic operations but I can't raise the hood in cosmetic operations. Rather finicky I know but I love options :)
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    32465724ab04db9d2b41edf527902b65f40a2c65.jpg
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Mennis wrote: »
    I'm also leaning towards the more realistic, simple designs. I always love to see nature related things, which i think would fit well with elven armor, like ember running down the armor with golden finish on the leafs sides. Big bulky one for the dwarven with mostly square shaped parts. Which we already kinda saw on the low lvl ones.

But dont forget one things there is going to be items that are rare, and after achieving them when you played for it for a long time, it just need to catch the eye, it cannot be just a simple plain looking armor, but i think they are going to find a good balance.

well look at the Monthly Costumes, there will be People with a full Ice Armor and other fancy sets, so i dont think it will be simple if you look at all the different monthly Armortypes hehe
    uwu
  • Options
    Izzetin wrote: »
    well look at the Monthly Costumes, there will be People with a full Ice Armor and other fancy sets, so i dont think it will be simple if you look at all the different monthly Armortypes hehe

I wonder if Glass Weapons and Armour will be able to be crafted. I used to love Glass Weapons and Armour in Elder Scrolls Series if I remember the right place. RPGs and MMOs are merged into one massive bank of knowledge with no moderation in my mind lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I hope the armour can be dyable. High Fantasy can equate to vibrant colours. A plain set of armour got new life in GW2 by adding a lusher dye to the Armour Set. Sometimes it takes several aspects to make a final rendition. Basics are basics for a reason. Furthermore, most of the Armour Sets we've seen have been low level, not high level.

It's unfortunately the case that it's been confirmed for us already that there won't be color-kits and the like.

Rinta wrote: »
    @Asgerr I like your examples of women in armour. I hope there will be at least some viable female heavy armour in Ashes without breasts embedded in metal.

Aye! No worries about armored thongs and the like:

I'm more of the mind that it wouldn't really serve a purpose to have bikini plate armor, just in like reality, if you're going to have armor, it should be protective. I think from a fashion statement is enjoyable for some people, but it's a kind of an immersive issue. -Steven Sharif

• Options
    It's unfortunately the case that it's been confirmed for us already that there won't be color-kits and the like.

I don't understand, are you saying the dyes are kickstarter exclusive or are you saying the dyes have been removed all together? I'm aware you can't dye cosmetics but in-game items are dyable last I heard.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Today they said that there may be some options to Dye stuff ( In Discord).

uwu
  • Options
    @Asgerr I like your examples of women in armour. I hope there will be at least some viable female heavy armour in Ashes without breasts embedded in metal.

Aye! No worries about armored thongs and the like:

I'm more of the mind that it wouldn't really serve a purpose to have bikini plate armor, just in like reality, if you're going to have armor, it should be protective. I think from a fashion statement is enjoyable for some people, but it's a kind of an immersive issue. -Steven Sharif

Based on Steven’s own logic, a bigger immersion issue is ANY piece of armor being able to withstand a meteor strike from a mage. I mean let’s be real, this is a fantasy game. I get not having metal bikinis specifically, I think they’re excessive as well. But there’s nothing wrong with revealing armors. We haven’t even seen “cute” armors for female characters yet, let alone revealing armors.
  • Options
    well you can see some revealing armor sets even in the Monthly costumes already. i dont understand what the problem is for some people with High-Fantasy Armor or revealing Armor sets.
    let everone run around how they like. just look at the Monthly Sets some People will walk around in a Full-Ice Armor set in all colors.
    (sorry my English sucks)
    uwu
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I totally agree, though I would also like to say I wouldn’t consider any of the cosmetics revealed/released thus far to be remotely revealing except two called Wrath’s Legacy and Black Scale Imperator which not only are essentially the same, they’re...not my style at all let’s say that.
  • Options
    It's not exactly armor. But I'm hoping to find a decent Tri-corn hat for pirating.

s-l1000.jpg
  • Options
    MushinMushin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2021
    Damokles wrote: »
    32465724ab04db9d2b41edf527902b65f40a2c65.jpg

The furries must all die brother
    (age restricted you have been warned)

https://youtu.be/xrJVZZLv2GE
  • Options
    LloydLloyd Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2021
    Want rogue cloaks with sashes. Sashes make an outfit. Hoods make an outfit.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2F8rypnr7v0pt01.png&f=1&nofb=1

Sleeveless cloaks with satchels are cool too for spell blade/spell bow.

03edbb0e154c2f5c6e52464ba09691fe.png?width=344&height=420
    cevs5u9i2f1s.png
    _____________________________________________________________________________________
    Current Member of the Gray Sentinels.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I`d rather not see someone wearing The Emperor's New Clothes, running down the road!
  • Options
    RintaRinta Member
    edited February 2021

Aye! No worries about armored thongs and the like
    I mean let’s be real, this is a fantasy game. I get not having metal bikinis specifically, I think they’re excessive as well. But there’s nothing wrong with revealing armors. We haven’t even seen “cute” armors for female characters yet, let alone revealing armors.

I am afraid you misunderstood me. By "breasts embedded in metal" I mean something like this:
    1087-1-1321986558.jpg

Revealing clothes can be tasteful, both on men and women. Although I would expect them to be cloth or leather based, and not have much armour class.

Metal breasts at the front of a plate armour are at best fetishising, akin to a metal penis attached to a front of plate armour pants for a male.
  • Options
    For Reference:
    1087-1-1321986558.jpg

I agree Rinta, I love to play female tanks and the armour can look too curvy and not for serious purposes.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There is a caveat to "armour breasts are fake" because the Greeks (and subsequently Romans) introduced the Muscle Cuirass - which could include detail down to nipples.

DP102285.jpg

They could have made something similar for women if they were celebrated warriors too? Athena statues have bra-like armour.

I'm a guy though, and won't be wearing female armour, so I'd like to hear more girls' input here.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    Athena Armour:
    Athena-2013-2-x.jpg
    Athena is a Goddess though and never fought a battle on earth.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Joan of Arc (Maid of Orleans).
    kenneth-sofia-joan.jpg?1533037156
    Joan fought and won battles.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited February 2021

Metal breasts at the front of a plate armour are at best fetishising, akin to a metal penis attached to a front of plate armour pants for a male.

May I refer you to the following videos:
    https://youtu.be/lBtvS5yhTA8?t=105
    and
    https://youtu.be/6KHz0qWQA9I
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options

Aye! No worries about armored thongs and the like
    I mean let’s be real, this is a fantasy game. I get not having metal bikinis specifically, I think they’re excessive as well. But there’s nothing wrong with revealing armors. We haven’t even seen “cute” armors for female characters yet, let alone revealing armors.

I am afraid you misunderstood me. By "breasts embedded in metal" I mean something like this:
    1087-1-1321986558.jpg

Revealing clothes can be tasteful, both on men and women. Although I would expect them to be cloth or leather based, and not have much armour class.

My reply wasn’t to you so no misunderstanding.

However, let me counter your “omg don’t put boobie shapes on my steel armor!” argument. You might not realize that some women actually have large breasts, or even just average size. Without shaping the steel., how exactly would you expect them to wear it? A giant round bubble of steel for a torso? Get outta here with that. Lol
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    The bulge of plate armour was raised across the chest for women. Wasn't very common. Men have the bulge across the stomach. Both designs deflected blows and allowed free movement. Plate Armour is quite spacious, Gambesons must go beneath plate armour.

Edit: Gambeson is a wool/fabric construction which wouldn't allow two separate breast bulges. Just an elevated ramp of wool/fabric dependant on bust size.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Asgerr wrote: »

May I refer you to the following videos:
    https://youtu.be/lBtvS5yhTA8?t=105
    and
    https://youtu.be/6KHz0qWQA9I

Brilliant, thank you for sharing these videos, love Shadiversity. Everyone who has issues with female armor actually looking female should watch.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    The fact the armour displayed has a tiny waist and big cups should tell you its a bad concept. All of the pressure of the plate would be on the hips. Good luck doing star jumps and push ups in that getup.

Edit:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzTwBQniLSc
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    The fact the armour displayed has a tiny waist and big cups should tell you its a bad concept. All of the pressure of the plate would be on the hips. Good luck doing star jumps and push ups in that getup.

Edit:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzTwBQniLSc

Lol once again, this is a fantasy game not a medieval simulator. We can have a balance. If your argument is that the shape of the armor would impinge on the hips then let me direct you back to the argument that you can drop f***ing meteors on people in this game. Who the hell cares if the armor is 100% accurate to medieval, that time period sucked.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    You are trying to refute the claim that female armour shouldn't be feminised bullsh*t. The fact remains that according to Hollywood (Fantasy) the video I showed is not possible in plate armour. If the armour was like true armour the 'fantasy' would be much more spectacular. You seem to believe 'fantasy' (Hollywood bullsh*t) should cater to male parameters of how a woman should look and act. You should understand that natural physics supports the true armour form which was requested earlier.

There does not need to be a blanket ban on 'Boob Armour' for all the males who want to look like a 'fantasy' but efforts should also be present to cater to the females who want to be 'serious'. Fortunately, the recent Cosmetic Skins haven't been 'Boob Bulges' and more of a typical style.

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    You are trying to refute the claim that female armour shouldn't be feminised bullsh*t. The fact remains that according to Hollywood (Fantasy) the video I showed is not possible in plate armour. If the armour was like true armour the 'fantasy' would be much more spectacular. You seem to believe 'fantasy' (Hollywood bullsh*t) should cater to male parameters of how a woman should look and act. You should understand that natural physics supports the true armour form which was requested earlier.

There does not need to be a blanket ban on 'Boob Armour' for all the males who want to look like a 'fantasy' but efforts should also be present to cater to the females who want to be 'serious'. Fortunately, the recent Cosmetic Skins haven't been 'Boob Bulges' and more of a typical style.

Edit: Spelling mistakes.

Yeah, way to completely discount all the women who DO want to look feminized. Most women who aren’t gender studies majors actually like to look good. My wife, my best female friend, and other female friends we’ve known through the years all loved the type of armor I’m advocating for.

So your statement that it’s all for males is trash.
    Calling it Hollywood bull is also trash.
    You have no idea what I’m talking about when I say it’s a “fantasy game” clearly. Intrepid themselves have said this is a high fantasy game. Customizing your character to look however the hell you want whether you prefer to wear medieval style “accurate” armor or high fantasy armor (in a high fantasy game) is what I want. You should get what you want for you, and I should get what I want for me. Everyone can be happy with THEIR character.
  • Options
    Oh great. So we must live to a standard of what you want, while you go around trying to demean what other people want. If someone doesn't want boob armour, we must shut up and accept that it is high fantasy and personal fantasies be damned.

I was quite happy to accept 'Boob Armour' so long as there are alternatives. You seem completely unreasonable and not able to act rationally. I don't quite care about people you know. You seem the sort to name drop whenever you feel it gets you the upper hand. In truth, name drops get you into problems, not into heaven.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif