Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What About Solo Players?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Because then just like all the other games that allow that play style at all times the world becomes dead. Nobody says anything to anyone. No friendships are made. No new enemies. Just a bunch of NPC's running around doing random stuff.

Curious argument...
    First of all, I can't name any MMO which prohibits soloing (a few may be tough without grouping though).

In any case, if I take your statement seriously, it would mean most will choose to play solo "if they're allowed to"? That means we must be forced by rule to mingle so that we're able to "enjoy the game"???

I think you should reconsider your statement...

Encouraging multiplay should be by offering content which would convince - at least once in a while - a solo player to join a common goal which is enjoyable and beneficial to him/her.
    In my opinion, the dynamic node system in general offers such content - I can't wait to experience that unique and promising feature.
  • Options
    There is a big difference in being able to solo while playing and watering down the game for solo players. I am completely fine with people wanting to play solo, though the game itself should not be made easier in order to accommodate that.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I also have never seen an MMO prohibit solo play. However there are a lot that make it really hard.
    Ostaff has the answer.
    This what has happened to the MMO scene in the last decade. Content has been watered down so badly the whole game is basicly a solo game.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    First 30 minutes they talk about this topic.
    "Most MMO's have become a solo player story driven experience."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEEk-7kEFfk
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Coming to play the game purely solo might provide a lesser experience than perhaps what multiplayer/group play should offer and that is a choice. I don`t see the distinction between the two playstyles so absolute though as those who participate in wholly solo or wholly multiplayer would they not be at the outliners of game players. Most players do a mix of both, but the balance varies. My feeling from the thread was the discussion of the outliners which perhaps is not reflective of the general population.
    • Should solo players be able to undertake everything, no.
    • Should solo players be able to undertake most things, no.
    • Should solo players be able to achieve best in slot, no through solo pve, but sure if they play the market and accumulate sufficient wealth to obtain through other means.
    • Should solo players be able to enjoy pvp, sure there are means for that.
    • Should solo players be able to undertake a range of activities, yes. And hopefully there is a great amount of content to provide choice.
    • Should solo players not need to join a clan, sure don`t have to but there are incentives/benefits that might be received is joining to yourself as well as missing out on the social

Then, if you only log in for a short time in a session, and/or play at will and not to a schedule, coupled with the likely longer travel times to group up, surely this will lead to players by default of game design to want a degree of opportunity for solo activities to stilll enjoy the time available. Running across the land to join a party is a solo activity, no?

The way I see it, if the game does not provide for opportunity to play both playstyles then, for want of using the wrong word, the multiplayer aspect will likely be depleted as the market share of people prepared to play the game will be further divided.

• Options
    FavstFavst Member
    edited March 2021
    If you want to play solo, play The Witcher 3, Skyrim, or whatever role-playing game you want, MMORPG is for group play.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited March 2021
    I find it extraordinary that people dont see the problem that an ez solo game design poses for people that have been thirsty for a competitive mmo for around 15 years. This is the reason for the backlash on any "what about solo" topics.

If a game is designed to be achievable at a satisfactory level for a single player, then that game wont retain players that seek to overcome challenges by forming guilds.

I also find it weird that those same people havent discovered eso, ff14 and wow.
  • Options
    I also find it weird that those same people havent discovered eso, ff14 and wow.

I bet they have, but then got bored of those games for being too stale or easy. So then they come to other games and try to turn them into the same games that they've left...
  • Options
    PowurshotPowurshot Member, Intrepid Pack
    Sixx wrote: »
    Hello There, During All this Time Seein' The Progress of Ashes Of Creation, i'm worried About The Solo Player Thing,
    i think is great To Be Able To Do A Lot Of Things With Your Guild And Things Like That, But... What About That (Solo Players)
    That May Want To Be Unique , something like Solo Leveling Or Solo PvP Or doing Things That Can Make Your Name Be Known By Other Players Without BEing Involved In A Guild Or Team, i was Always Looking For That Kind of MMO Where You Can Be That Solo Player able To Do Things Without being in a Team.

I think you should look into Tavern ownership. It looks freakin sweet and totally soloable while making a name for yourself like you said you liked.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Find a guild that accepts solo players and either move in to the node or build a freehold somewhere and live out your fantasy immersion that way. There is lots of artisan content you can participate in as well to produce your wealth.

Maybe when the guild members are online you can hopefully join in some multiplayer content when desired.
    Perhaps even a siege/war of that node or another.

There is multiple ways to gain experience as it's PvX

if you're asking them to scale the content so that dungeons, high level node creeps etc can be played and completed by a single player, I think you've got the wrong idea of the games design unfortunately.

They have already addressed that in the Asmongold interview IIRC.

that's my best advice for you to live out a solo player immersion in an MMORPG.