Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Alpha access and the packs

Blue ShiftBlue Shift Member
edited April 2021 in Support & FAQ
I would love to participate in the alpha and betas and I am willing to support the team by investing, but I am not too interested in all the extra things you get.

I have never played an MMO before, but I have always loved everything that makes up an MMO. I have been watching the devblogs and updates for AOC and I'm super interested in it, but I don't really want to sink so much money into things that rely on me sticking with the game. More specifically, the 9 months of game time and $125 of in-game currency.

Is there any way I can purchase a pack at the discount of the sub/currency?

Comments

• George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited March 2021
    These are not products with a price tag.
    They are donations.
    If you choose to donate you receive a pack for supporting.
  • Become a major content creator overnight. But seriously to answer your question, the kickstarter/donation packs are a way of saying thank you for supporting the game. Getting Alpha/Beta is just another perk
    Trample the dead and hurdle the fallen. Run, and you will only die tired.
  • RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    at the current time there is no way to purchase access without the extra things.
    2PXdm1m
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Never played an MMO? Maybe try a few over the next year to see if you even like MMORPGs. It is a diverse genre with many playstyles at this point. You might find that you like it in theory, but not in practice.

I liked single player JRPGs growing up, but as a adult I can't be bothered. All the games have to offer is their story, and 9 times out of 10 it is some cringe plot with no real depth. What I have learned is that I like them in theory, but not in practice. New JPRGs come out and look attractive, but when I buy them I just can't get into them. I end up turning them off after a few minutes and loading up something else. Revisiting old JRPGs is the same problem. I don't hate the genre, I just don't like playing it anymore.

There are a number of free to play/free to try MMORPGs that are good enough to try the genre. It would suck to wait years for a game to come out that looks cool, only to discover that you don't enjoy the core gameplay that is common in the genre. Make sure that you like MMORPGs as a whole.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Never played an MMO? Maybe try a few over the next year to see if you even like MMORPGs. It is a diverse genre with many playstyles at this point. You might find that you like it in theory, but not in practice.

I've watched a LOT of youtube videos on WoW and random MMOs. I was born in 2000 and only got my first computer when I bought it myself in 2011, so I pretty much completely missed the birth of the great MMOs.

I've always wanted to get into WoW, but for the longest time I couldn't convince my parents for the subscription and by the time I was making my own money, countless videos were saying things like "WoW is garbage now, too many changes ruined WoW", etc...

I am certain MMOs are my thing because back when halo 3 came out, that's when my gaming addiction kicked in and achievement hunting was my passion. Since then I've achievement hunted on almost every game I've played and collecting things like mounts on an MMO is literally perfect for me.

With COVID and my position of needing a car and to move out soon, the $375 and $250 packs are pretty expensive for me. I was just hoping there was some sort of discount option for people like myself who can't be spending hundreds on a game.
  • KatakKatak Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Never played an MMO? Maybe try a few over the next year to see if you even like MMORPGs.

It's cruel to wish that upon anyone in the current market.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Blue Shift wrote: »
    I've watched a LOT of youtube videos on WoW and random MMOs. I was born in 2000 and only got my first computer when I bought it myself in 2011, so I pretty much completely missed the birth of the great MMOs.

I've always wanted to get into WoW, but for the longest time I couldn't convince my parents for the subscription and by the time I was making my own money, countless videos were saying things like "WoW is garbage now, too many changes ruined WoW", etc...

I am certain MMOs are my thing because back when halo 3 came out, that's when my gaming addiction kicked in and achievement hunting was my passion. Since then I've achievement hunted on almost every game I've played and collecting things like mounts on an MMO is literally perfect for me.

With COVID and my position of needing a car and to move out soon, the $375 and $250 packs are pretty expensive for me. I was just hoping there was some sort of discount option for people like myself who can't be spending hundreds on a game.

I feel ya, when I was in my late teens/early twenties I noticed I could save a lot of money paying 60$ for the box and 15$ a month to play MMORPGs with friends instead of the cost of regularly going out and doing things nearly every day. I would still go to concerts and events from time to time, but there was a drastic increase in spending if I was not playing a MMO. I would by a game that costs 60$ only to mine all of the fun out if it in a week or just a weekend, only to do that again 3-5 times a month. It adds up. Where I could just play a MMO that whole month for 15$.

I think you can get into classic WOW right now for 15$, and if you were experiencing it all for the first time I don't think it would be that bad. Not saying to run out and get into classic WOW, but the value proposition is still there. Personally I have been recommending FFXIV lately because it is free till level 60, and it ain't that bad of a way to kill time.

If done responsibly MMOs can help you save money. I have friends that buy 1-4 60$ console games a week, meanwhile I maintain 1 to 2 15$ a month subs to MMOs. Just make sure you don't stay up to late, saving money playing MMOs is worthless if you lose your job because you stayed up all night raiding. I have thankfully not have had this happen, but I have seen it happen. Hopefully all of this COVID stuff chills out.
    Katak wrote: »
    It's cruel to wish that upon anyone in the current market.

LOL, yeah.

I hate the current market too, but there is still fun to be had.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Rabidbunny38Rabidbunny38 Member, Intrepid Pack
    I have never played an MMO before?

I'm not trying to be rude, but may I suggest actually playing some mmos before trying to "invest" in one.

• zammwichzammwich Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2021

If achievement hunting and mount collecting/pet collecting are something you really like then modern wow is actually probably more for you then the old school version of wow. The emphasis on that sort of thing has only gotten bigger over time. Most peoples problems with wow have to do with gear/content progression or class/systems balance. The collecter/hunter type people still eat up modern wow.

• SaeduSaedu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    zammwich wrote: »

If achievement hunting and mount collecting/pet collecting are something you really like then modern wow is actually probably more for you then the old school version of wow. The emphasis on that sort of thing has only gotten bigger over time. Most peoples problems with wow have to do with gear/content progression or class/systems balance. The collecter/hunter type people still eat up modern wow.

I agree. Modern WoW would be much better than classic for the collector. Vanilla wow didn't even have an achievement system.

I started playing DAOC a year before WoW came out to "prepare" for getting into a MMO. I'm glad I did as it gave me a good point of reference.

I'm not a fan of leveling much, but WoW's got a better leveling system now than it had in the past few expansions.
  • Guild Wars 2 is also a great candidate for the goal-oriented player. It has a fantastic achievement system and various types of cosmetic collections, from mounts, pets (minis), novelties, and transmog outfits. You'll also get a better MMO experience in GW2, in my opinion, because you'll find a far more amount of people out in the world doing things where you can lend a hand.

Since GW2 is free to play I recommend it over WoW from a cost-savings standpoint.
  • MahesMahes Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    GW2 is a nice choice. It is free to a limit. If you want access to all of the content, you will have to pay. As an example, the expansion "Path of Fire" is not free and it has the much appreciated mounts in the game. That being said, there is a lot to do in the game that could carry you until AOC hits Beta.
  • Blue Shift wrote: »
    I have never played an MMO before?

I'm not trying to be rude, but may I suggest actually playing some mmos before trying to "invest" in one.

I dont think you need to try something to know you like it. I saw mmo's on videos and i knew i wanted to get into that too. I can see poop without eating it and know i wont like the taste.
  • Hi there friend! At the moment our testing is included in the Pre-Order Packs available in our shop, and there isn't a separate way to grab just test keys - though we always recommend keeping an eye on our news and social channels to catch the latest updates on testing!

I'm going to go ahead and move this thread on over to our Support & FAQ section and close it out, but please don't hesitate to reach back out if there's any other questions we can help answer!
    community_management.gif
This discussion has been closed.