Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Character creation question

Since voice acting is minimal I assume that picking characters gender in cc will simply switch the way npcs address you and such through text. So I was wondering if it would be possible to introduce pick your gender/pronouns button instead of it defaulting automatically to the bodytype you pick?

I don't believe this would introduce too much additional work for the coding but would mean a lot to queer players. Thank you in advance!

Ps: if you are as a player isn't interested in this you can make a masculine looking character and pick "man" or vice versa without losing anything because it was added.

Comments

• Options
    i don't recall any rpg that asked you to pick a gender before. afaik its been male or female the entire time. surely, you can RP around gender at no cost to devs?
  • Options
    FerniFerni Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2021
    I'm not sure about be able to pick your gender/pronouns but as far as I know through adjustments you will be able to make your character look more masculine or more femenine, so maybe you can do something with that? (Source: Character creator wiki)

Also if you check info about marriage system in the Wiki it says they have no plans for gender neutral pronouns however they allow same gender marriage.
  • Options
    I don’t think the character sheet shows gender so having a tick box in the creator would seem a little unnecessary. You build your character based on a male or a female model.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    i don't recall any rpg that asked you to pick a gender before. afaik its been male or female the entire time. surely, you can RP around gender at no cost to devs?

That horse shit awful battletech game that came out a year or so ago used pronouns instead of gender... As you can probably imagine they went out of their way to have a very fast and loose take on the source material.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    i don't recall any rpg that asked you to pick a gender before. afaik its been male or female the entire time

Those... ARE.....genders.

And of course I can rp it and I do because its rarely done. Why do you think it would have a significant cost in development? I'm not talking about any cosmetic changes just text based pronouns/addressing/titles. Nothing new is added it just lets you set you yourself.
  • Options
    Ferni wrote: »
    I'm not sure about be able to pick your gender/pronouns but as far as I know through adjustments you will be able to make your character look more masculine or more femenine, so maybe you can do something with that? (Source: Character creator wiki)

Also if you check info about marriage system in the Wiki it says they have no plans for gender neutral pronouns however they allow same gender marriage.

I know about all of those and I'm very happy about same gender marriage (tbh if they didn't have it I would be very surprised) and I'm just as excited to be able to play in cc to make my characters look a certain way. A bit bummed out about no neutral pronouns but that's not surprising in an AAA game and I wasn't hoping for that. I do play a lot of indies where its possible so thats that.
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited April 2021
    This has been answered before and there will only be Male and Female as well as only he/her pronouns..
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    But, just like in the 'real' world, we can ask our friends to use the pronouns that we prefer. If they really are friends, they will be glad to.

I wonder if the character creator will have sufficient flexibility to accomplish what is wanted. For example, create a short, slender male with long hair and a feminine face. Or the large, muscular buzz cut female. I bet one could accomplish that if you worked at it.
  • Options
    Riessene wrote: »

I’m not interested in learning the “correct” sex based terminology for dwarves, elves, orcs and Tulnar. Nor should I be forced to for political correctness.

Male and female is easy enough for me.
  • Options
    Biccus wrote: »

I’m not interested in learning the “correct” sex based terminology for dwarves, elves, orcs and Tulnar. Nor should I be forced to for political correctness.

For Tulnar the pronouns are (was/were).
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    TenacielTenaciel Member
    edited April 2021
    Why is this even important? I can't understand...who in the world wants to running around roleplaying as a transgender orc?!
  • Options
    Tenaciel wrote: »
    Why is this even important? I can't understand...who in the world wants to running around roleplaying as a transgender orc?!

It's not important, it's just causing inconvenience for the sake of feeling important.

• Options
    IDK this seems quite meaningless and unnecessary extra work, i don't think there is enough incentive to do such, and it certainly doesn't seem like something important to consider.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    Handsome JakxHandsome Jakx Member
    edited April 2021
    IDK this seems quite meaningless and unnecessary extra work, i don't think there is enough incentive to do such, and it certainly doesn't seem like something important to consider.

While this does not effect me, In the same forum we are speaking of using general area highlights on a minimap, in which afew people speak of it ruining thier immersion in the game.

If we are concerned about game immersion then this seems like an essential for some people. It is non consequential and has no real effect in the game but it may be important to those it effects
    Handsome-Jakx.png
  • Options
    While this does not effect me, In the same forum we are speaking of using general area highlights on a minimal, in which c afew people speak of it ruining thier immersion in the game.

If we are concerned about game immersion then this seems like an essential for some people. It is non consequential and has no real effect in the game but it may be important to those it effects

If someone was honestly trying to role play a female. They would make a female character. Not a male character with the pronouns: (Her/She) and, visa versa.

Reading any more into it sadly just makes this a political discussion with no real winners when it should be a philosophical discussion with no real answers.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    Handsome JakxHandsome Jakx Member
    edited April 2021
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    While this does not effect me, In the same forum we are speaking of using general area highlights on a minimal, in which c afew people speak of it ruining thier immersion in the game.

If someone was honestly trying to role play a female. They would make a female character. Not a male character with the pronouns: (Her/She) and, visa versa.

Reading any more into it sadly just makes this a political discussion with no real winners when it should be a philosophical discussion with no real answers.

Agreed. Also a moot (ehem) discussion according to what was posted in the wiki regarding gender neutrality.
    Handsome-Jakx.png
  • Options
    ...yall ran full speed to make a tiny character creation gameplay point that would affect nothing for you all about yourselves and how you view other people and what they would want. Alright.
  • Options
    ...yall ran full speed to make a tiny character creation gameplay point that would affect nothing for you all about yourselves and how you view other people and what they would want. Alright.

No. I just don’t need a tick box to tell myself what I’m playing as. I don’t think anyone else would or even should care about the gender I’m playing.

Have faith that the character creator will be good enough to build the character you want to play as.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Funny Skeletons are the same
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    edited April 2021

While this does not effect me, In the same forum we are speaking of using general area highlights on a minimap, in which afew people speak of it ruining thier immersion in the game.

I'm not sure if those 2 arguments for immersion are on equal footing as a minimap with highlights has true in-game relevance , and as i'm not very concerned or into immersion drama.
    Even tho i do acknowledge that it may be important to some people i would be interested to know by how many. Because for the vast majority it seems to be quite unreasonable and irrelevant.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Just because it doesn't matter to you, doesn't mean that it doesn't matter A LOT to someone else.

PS Handsome Jakx, the word is 'moot' not 'mute', speaking of things that don't matter to most people. ;)
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

THIS GUY IS ON A ROLL

ahahahaha
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    Just because it doesn't matter to you, doesn't mean that it doesn't matter A LOT to someone else.

Yes, this is true, the problem is, if IS would take everyone's personal "important" minor changes it would create a insane amount of possibly not very relevant small changes clogging truly important and meaningful major implementations.

Thats why some people makes threads to show their opinions of a possible small additions and see if it ressonates with other people in order for it to have appeal to a vaster public and raise its chances of being implemented.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    PS Handsome Jakx, the word is 'moot' not 'mute', speaking of things that don't matter to most people. ;)

Noted lol
    Handsome-Jakx.png
  • Options
    JirueJirue Member
    edited April 2021
    From a developer perspective, it's a easy adjustment. If the system is already set up to check dialog tree adjustments based on a gender, then it's as simple as moving the flag it's checking to a separate variable and database column so it's not pointing at the same variable holding the value of the now "appearance specific" gender variable and database column. So arguments of "developer effort" are nonsense. Where it would lie on a priority in relation to other to-do items though is something only the folks actually managing the project's timeline can say.
  • Options
    CypherCypher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yeah I don’t think any game devs should coddle people who want this. Scientifically (real science) there are only male and female with a ridiculously small number of people who are born with both...sets. As some have already suggested here, if you want to role play as one or the other, make your character accordingly. Even if you consider that this is a fantasy game, surely choosing from a range of fantasy races and a choice of male or female of each is enough. If not, that’s just too bad. Society can’t accommodate a 0.00001% slice of the population who will be emotionally hurt by this, with all due respect.
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    I have 2 issues with that.

1. Where does it stop? Your question might be innocent enough but if the shit that's been going on recently hasn't shown it enough. It's not just adding one pronoun currently. It's adding 100 because everyone wants their own special little call card now.
    It's not just a pronoun, why can't i have the female animation as a male character? It's not much work it's just ticking off a box that makes the game switch out the animations. Why aren't there options to make the slider go a bit more into the masculine/feminine. It kicks open a can of worms of "you made this much accommodation? Just this much?"

2. Your main point is to be addressed by npcs as your prefered pronoun which makes absolutely no sense in any way shape or form unless they already know you and you told them specifically. If you want to be hugged in a fantasy game, you might want to actually change your rl situation and I'm talking from personal experience. If it's that bad, a game won't help. (as a note, I doubt it's that and I doubt your request is that innocent from how that first post reads, but you never know)

I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2021
    The line that has already been drawn will create a reasonable framework because lets have a glance at the rabbit hole if it had to be delved into
    • Ethnicity
    • Race
    • Religion
    • Sexual orientation
    • Personal Pronouns
    • Language
    • Semantics
    • Disability
    • Weight
    • IQ
    • Game rating
    • Profanity
    • Game latency
    • Political position

That is a 2min thought, I can`t imagine how long the list might be if to consider all and how directing to be better address one area may in fact inadvertently affect another.

• Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited April 2021
    akabear wrote: »
    The line that has already been drawn will create a reasonable framework because lets have a glance at the rabbit hole if it had to be delved into
    • Ethnicity
    • Race
    • Religion
    • Sexual orientation
    • Personal Pronouns
    • Language
    • Semantics
    • Disability
    • Weight
    • IQ
    • Game rating
    • Profanity
    • Game latency
    • Political position

That is a 2min thought, I can`t imagine how long the list might be if to consider all and how directing to be better address one area may in fact inadvertently affect another.

"I want to play as a Human that identifies as an Orc, so I want to be a green-skinned Human, and I want the religion from World Of Borecraft that I've been playing for the past 12 weeks, and I want to only have one leg cos I identify as a one-legged Orc, and I want one half of my body to be really really fat and the other really really thin to represent the multiple sides of my personality, and I want my character to be so stooopid that he drools all over his fat arm, and I only want Spanish profanities filtered out, and ..."
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    "I want to play as a Human that identifies as an Orc, so I want to be a green-skinned Human, and I want the religion from World Of Borecraft that I've been playing for the past 12 weeks, and I want to only have one leg cos I identify as a one-legged Orc, and I want one half of my body to be really really fat and the other really really thin to represent the multiple sides of my personality, and I want my character to be so stooopid that he drools all over his fat arm, and I only want Spanish profanities filtered out, and ..."

I am fine with profanities from any language, but those Spanish ones really hurt.
    TVMenSP.png