Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What tools are given to Roleplayers?

As many of us, roleplayers or not simply do not have access to Ashes yet, perhaps you that have could help paint a picture on what resources or tools exist in AoC for Roleplay.

If you want, and have the time, i would appreciate any information you could give, and are allowed to give of course. Lengthy or detailed is up to one and each, but if you would like a shorter reply, you could simply copy paste this text below, add your own info to that.

Example Format:

Tools or mechanics in Ashes of Creation as of right now post 2021 - xx - xx
* Sitting on chairs / benches / ground
* Chat bubbles toggle on / off / Optionally viewed
* Guild halls etc, as in areas private for meetings
* Options to color outfits, add sigills on tabards, clan markings on banners etc
* etc etc

Comments

• CptBrownBeardCptBrownBeard Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Depends on what you consider roleplay.

Sitting in chairs, emoting conversations, literally anything else involved in conventional roleplay...not so much.

RP'ng yourself as a mage stuck in a rubber-banding timeloop...oh boy have I got plenty for ya.

Really though, the testing stages aren't currently at a level where systems for social interactions are fleshed out enough to say what will make the final cut for sure.
  • GrihmGrihm Member
    @CptBrownBeard Oh no of course i don´t expect all this to be in and prioritised right now as of such.
    More along the general lines as they come.

Are chat bubbles a thing.... Can you have a guild members only house or hall for gatherings...can you walk or do everyone just run..those sorts of things.

I´m sure ahead, when the dev´s have time, furniture's and their use will most likely be worked on.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    RP Tools are not in the Alpha One Preview.
    There are some emotes.
  • GrihmGrihm Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    There are some emotes.

Noted! Emotes are a good start =)
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    But the plan is for lots of roleplaying tools in addition to emotes. Owning houses in nodes (or apartments, which are instanced), crafting furniture, pets (including battle pets), plenty of costumes, guild halls, player node mayors selected by citizens of the node, and so forth.

But one that I am very excited about is taverns. Players can own land outside of nodes for farms, blacksmith shops, fishing ponds, breeding animals and TAVERNS. You will be able to sit, eat, drink, plan, form groups, play games and gamble and lots of cool things.
  • GrihmGrihm Member
    tautau wrote: »
    But the plan is for lots of roleplaying tools in addition to emotes. Owning houses in nodes (or apartments, which are instanced), crafting furniture, pets (including battle pets), plenty of costumes, guild halls, player node mayors selected by citizens of the node, and so forth.

But one that I am very excited about is taverns. Players can own land outside of nodes for farms, blacksmith shops, fishing ponds, breeding animals and TAVERNS. You will be able to sit, eat, drink, plan, form groups, play games and gamble and lots of cool things.

Owning shops and taverns etc sounds amazing. I can already see my workshop in the outskirts of a village. * fingers crossed for lumber houses with an open fire *
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    What is an example of not roleplaying in an mmorpg video game?
  • GrihmGrihm Member

A very good question, since many actually truthfully either have no idea, or a massive misconception of what RP entails.

A few misconceptions i have heard players explain to me on what RP is, was
    * RP-PVP stands for really powerful pvp
    * RP-PVP stands for that you can choose between the two
    * Oh my bunnyhopping character that screams profanity and harass people, that´s just " my RP "

In many games where you don´t get a specific RP based server, players are often left with nothing but to make an unofficial RP server, by having all roleplayers in a community to agree on what server to gather on.

With this, you have people
    * Constantly interrupting roleplayers events
    * Gank every guest to an RP event such as a funeral or wedding
    * Spam RP chats with profanity or abusive language
    etc etc

You don´t HAVE to roleplay in an MMORPG, but the biggest problem roleplayers face is rather that of people actively work to harass or destroy and interrupt roleplay for roleplayers.
  • /Emotes are a major one to help RP, in any game. The ability to /tiphat, /cry, /palmfist, /shakehead, /jumpforjoy, /point, /drinkbeer and others really adds to the life of a player environment.

The personal favorite of yours truly was /bmoc in Star Wars: Galaxies. It was essentially the Fonz. Your character would dip to the side, and point at someone with two thumbs up and two index fingers extended.

Asides from /emotes, the ability to toggle run on and off is a good one; Few people in-character are always running. Celebratory tools like fireworks are good ones. Appearance tab customizations are handy.

edited June 2021
    Lack of communication at all, focusing communication mostly on the meta or talking about rl stuff, like the football or baseball game you're watching while playing.
    Discussions from the player's perspective rather than from the character's perspective.
    edited June 2021
    Right
  • GrihmGrihm Member
    edited June 2021
    Grihm wrote: »

A very good question, since many actually truthfully either have no idea, or a massive misconception of what RP entails.

A few misconceptions i have heard players explain to me on what RP is, was
    * RP-PVP stands for really powerful pvp
    * RP-PVP stands for that you can choose between the two
    * Oh my bunnyhopping character that screams profanity and harass people, that´s just " my RP "

In many games where you don´t get a specific RP based server, players are often left with nothing but to make an unofficial RP server, by having all roleplayers in a community to agree on what server to gather on.

With this, you have people
    * Constantly interrupting roleplayers events
    * Gank every guest to an RP event such as a funeral or wedding
    * Spam RP chats with profanity or abusive language
    etc etc

You don´t HAVE to roleplay in an MMORPG, but the biggest problem roleplayers face is rather that of people actively work to harass or destroy and interrupt roleplay for roleplayers.

What is an example of non roleplay activities, while playing an mmorpg?

This is assuming you ONLY mean that being in an MMORPG classifies as roleplaying.
    When players talk about roleplaying however, we take on the personas of the characters we play. We have talks about events in the game as you would see while watching a movie or a cutscene.

You are playing an MMORPG yes, but it´s different to Roleplay your character in an MMORPG.

Examples of Non roleplay activities could be anything that disrupts the RP of others. Standing jumping up and down on top of another to be annoying...interrupting conversations with trolling comments...naming yourself or the guild something obnoxious or " funny " or abusive etc.
  • ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    Dygz wrote: »
    There are some emotes.

How about custom emotes? No animations for them, but just your own text in /e or /em
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• MarcetMarcet Member
    edited June 2021
    You have a whole fantasy world and your imagination, I could roleplay with less. =P
  • DreohDreoh Member
    Steven mentioned recently about how he can't wait for or wants to see housing bathtub accessories to be able to be activated to have running water, so I think it's safe to assume there will be plenty of tools for roleplay
  • GrihmGrihm Member
    edited June 2021
    Marcet wrote: »
    You have a whole fantasy world and your imagination, I could roleplay with less. =P

A few examples of tools i am referring to,

Ability to actually sit, lay down, use furniture, change clothes and actually have clothes not only armors, walk not only run, have houses etc to be used by guilds only in privacy for RP, emotes to strengthen talks and points made, trade options for traveling RP guilds etc.

Thinking about this as " Oh it´s an MMORPG, so RPG is in the name so that is enough " is missing the point.
    The game has a deep lore, stories and factions etc. To strengthen these and let us use them as tools, that´s in the role-player interest, many times more than PVP or gearing up etc.

Imagine how Fallout 76 were before they added npc´s. It was an RPG before the NPC´s, but people felt it was a dead game without any emotion and immersion. Roleplayers here in Ashes are hoping for tools to use, so the game is not only about fighting or gearing up.
  • MarcetMarcet Member

May i ask if this is your first Online RP game?

If it is, then you will see what we mean when it goes online. The length players will go to, just to harass the roleplaying community is baffling, and you even get to see people post it as streams or YouTube videos for " amusement ".

But that's another thing, you are asking for a roleplaying server or ways to be protected, and in this game apart from your own house or a tavern, you dont have much protection. I get that you want a server without other people fighting or griefing you, but that would break half of the game since is based on the PvX.
  • GrihmGrihm Member
    edited June 2021

May i ask if this is your first Online RP game?

If it is, then you will see what we mean when it goes online. The length players will go to, just to harass the roleplaying community is baffling, and you even get to see people post it as streams or YouTube videos for " amusement ".

But that's another thing, you are asking for a roleplaying server or ways to be protected, and in this game apart from your own house or a tavern, you dont have much protection. I get that you want a server without other people fighting or griefing you, but that would break half of the game since is based on the PvX.

No not at all. I see now that i mixed 2 threads together, and this is the tools section.
    My post will be edited to include the correct response. One moment please.

The post has been edited @Marcet
  • MarcetMarcet Member
    edited June 2021

Ability to actually sit, lay down, use furniture, change clothes and actually have clothes not only armors, walk not only run, have houses etc to be used by guilds only in privacy for RP, emotes to strengthen talks and points made, trade options for traveling RP guilds etc.

Thinking about this as " Oh it´s an MMORPG, so RPG is in the name so that is enough " is missing the point.
    The game has a deep lore, stories and factions etc. To strengthen these and let us use them as tools, that´s in the role-player interest, many times more than PVP or gearing up etc.

Imagine how Fallout 76 were before they added npc´s. It was an RPG before the NPC´s, but people felt it was a dead game without any emotion and immersion. Roleplayers here in Ashes are hoping for tools to use, so the game is not only about fighting or gearing up.

Yes, I agree that it would be cool to have emotes for everything, im all about instruments and furniture too. About the lore, it's very important and I hope we have a deep one to learn about, (keyword hope) im sure it won't be the Silmarilion but with some interesting and dense story, with lots of characters and.. yeah, basically a well written story, we'll be set.

Edit: Most of these things like emotes or instruments could be added in a later patch and would be perfectly fine.
  • GrihmGrihm Member

Yes, I agree that it would be cool to have emotes for everything, im all about instruments and furniture too. About the lore, it's very important and I hope we have a deep one to learn about, (keyword hope) im sure it won't be the Silmarilion but with some interesting and dense story, with lots of characters and.. yeah, basically a well written story, we'll be set.

Edit: Most of these things like emotes or instruments could be added in a later patch and would be perfectly fine.

And to be clear, i may not be a massive PVPer, but i will do my part, and i hope for the best possible PVP combat system possible. The point is, it should encompass both sides and have all gain from it.
  • One think that helps alot RP is VO but i think won´t be possible in AOC, i have my best RP experiences in Rust
  • GrihmGrihm Member
    Ramirez wrote: »
    One think that helps alot RP is VO but i think won´t be possible in AOC, i have my best RP experiences in Rust

What would not work, and why is it not possible in AoC then?
  • At the moment they are still just trying to get the core of the game working properly, so currently it doesn’t seem like much RP support has been implemented. After spending a perhaps unhealthy amount of time watching interviews and reading forums however, I can confirm that Steven does recognize the role-players and has said something along the lines of accommodating them. Emotes are confirmed, as are furniture and cosmetic coloring.
    Also the fact that player run taverns are confirmed to be possible and eventually will be a fairly fleshed out mechanic, speaks well to the quantity of RP content likely to be introduced.
    I additionally saw some talk about role-players being harassed, and while I admit to not knowing much about that (I’m still fairly new and haven’t gotten much into the community yet) the corruption system should help a lot. Not sure how much you’ve looked into it, but it seems like it will do a really good job of stopping unwanted PKing. The amount of grind they would have to do just to get rid of consequences for a kill with little to no reward might not stop everyone, but I can’t imagine it being a huge issue, or at least as huge of an issue as in other games.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    This is the closest thing to a list I have seen in this thread.

Of these, I would imagine the ability to sit will be in the game, as will the ability to use furniture. Lying down I would expect to only be a ting in relation to furniture.

Clothing options are already in game, there is a page with most of the cosmetic costumes available here, and you can see that some of them are clothing rather than armor. However, keep in mind that the costumes made so far are mostly designed to catch peoples imagination, so expect a higher proportion of more mundane costumes when the game launches (and also expect more over the top ones as well).

I would also expect the ability to walk rather than run to be in the game.

You can set your house (apartment, static or freehold) to be available to your whole guild, you can also design a guild logo and display it in your house (or outside of your house, in your node for passers by to see - if you happen to have a static house).

For furniture, they have already confirmed beds, chairs, tables, desks, shelves, dressers, cabinets and chests. They have also discussed adding things like houseplants that have actual use (harvests, most likely). Even if they don't go with this plan, I would expect to see house plants as a decorative item, as well as rugs, utensils, tools and implements, along with a whole host of other things. When it comes to adding housing decorations, it really is fairly simple and almost any art asset in the game can be fairly easily made in to a house decoration.

Emotes are another thing that we know will be in the game, and I see no reason why custom emotes can't exist.

I am not sure what you mean by trade options for traveling RP guilds, though there is money to be made in Ashes from taking items long distances.

So, most of what is being asked for is already said to be intended to be in the game.
  • DreohDreoh Member
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    You filthy RP heathens should have emotes and chairs. That is it.

Taverns, Tavern games, VoIP, ect... is all a waste of dev time that just attracts weirdos to the game.

If this offends you, then you are a weirdo...

EZLZ1rOXgAE7iMC.jpg
    Played witcher 4 times. Never once did I bother with the card game.
  • It's role-playing. You use your imagination...
  • Beck AltarrBeck Altarr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am working on an online radio that I hope will include people who want to RP/voice radio drama's, fake ads that would be in the world and all that. In character show hosts. Music wont be very RP obviously, but I will have "tavern/Bard friendly" music for some shows. It's a work in progress. Info in my sig if anyone is interested. Just getting the stream going now and sorting music.
    phoenix.png
    Alpha/Beta Tester of Many Games - Station Manger of PhoenixRadio.Online an AoC & Gamer themed online Radio. Tune In Here
    Love a good story and lore.
    Twitch Streamer : PRO Discord
  • GrihmGrihm Member
    LowQuey wrote: »
    It's role-playing. You use your imagination...

Elaborate on the meaning of this please. I don´t really think you either read the actual OP, or you have a misunderstanding of what it´s about.
    Roleplaying is best when you can actually sit in a chair, rather than just type:
    [Dygz sits in chair] and everyone just imagines I'm sitting even though my avatar is still standing.

If we could also drink from a cup or mug, like we see in the Palia trailer, that would be awesome!!