Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

I feel no soul from this game

2»

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Aerlana wrote: »
    What i say is not "no need of lore section" on the site, but more "the site lack of many thing for now" mainly because "the game is far from existing yet" this will be a thing to treat with during/after alpha 2.
    Partially true, but mostly that the the devs are currently more focused on game development thane they are on marketing and webpage development. There are plans for making the website much more robust and we can expect Lore to be on the website by Launch.
    The devs would just much rather focus on creating the game right now than on creating the perfect website to grow the fanbase.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    MineTree wrote: »
    The thing with games like WoW is that it´s been out for years now and had the time to build that lore.

Yeah… almost 30 years. I don’t think folks realize how long the Warcraft IP has been around.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Atama wrote: »
    inusaa wrote: »
    I don't know if it's supposed to be a sandbox
    It's supposed to be an Alpha.

They are testing the systems out. It's almost completely devoid of content at this point.

It's like griping that a cake that was just pulled hot out of the oven has no frosting on it.

But I want my cake naow!
  • Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited July 2021
    I believe much of the lore is not available yet, be that in quests, dungeons, etc, so it's a bit early to decide the game has no soul.

I don't think FFXIV has any soul, but I think WoW used to, so that's also very subjective.

I hope that the game will be able to tell a good story for people who care about it with quests, but will also be able to tell a story constantly with dungeons, bosses, locations, etc.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    That is a good screenshot. I think I have a screenshot somewhere of me standing next to that very gnome from a few weeks back.
    Wait, so it's a Gnome in the picture? suddenly the world looks a lot smaller. :'(
    <joke> :wink:

Forum_Signature.png
  • Options
    DecidendiDecidendi Member
    edited July 2021
    This game seems to be just about ideas and gameplay, I don't see any single piece of lore and soul from anything I saw or read yet.
    Even the website don't describe anything at all, so it's very hard for me to feel connected. I just see a world with... things on it, without any context, any story..

I don't know if it's supposed to be a sandbox, but in any case, we need a setting.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not supposed to have 'soul' at this stage in the development. It's a bare bones testing of systems that are implemented at this early stage. And to be honest, even now, if you read the quests fully from the very beginning, you'll discover that a story exists and you can follow it.
  • Options
    I think inusaa is not in the Alpha, so can't read the quests.
    New to the fanbase so, still has to find and catch up on all the available info.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    I think inusaa is not in the Alpha, so can't read the quests.
    New to the fanbase so, still has to find and catch up on all the available info.

True. But I'd recommend watching some streams and streamers who go in depth regarding the topic :)

• Options
    Yep. Tons of streams and videos to find and learn from.
  • Options
    inusaainusaa Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited July 2021
    I think we should be allowed to get a glimpse of the lore before purchasing or entering the game, just like we decide what movie to watch in cinema based on the introduction.

(I purchased the game in kickstarter, without any lore available, it's not hypocrisy, I just changed over the years)
  • Options
    I think we should be allowed to get a glimpse of the lore before purchasing or entering the game, just like we decide what movie to watch in cinema based on the introduction.

(I purchased the game in kickstarter, without any lore available, it's not hypocrisy, I just changed over the years)

And I think you'll be able to do it before you decide to subscribe to the game before it launches. You contributed to the game development by donating a certain amount during the kickstarter. The game will not have a box package and will therefore not need to be purchased.

• Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2021

as already said, no one for now can enter the game.
    What we have now is far from being the game.

The game, i think will be for summer 2023 (pure speculation... can be even later)
    So if in 2 years, the website remains empty about basic information like races, classes, simple presentation of key systems, and base of lore, yes, you will be right to say there is a problem we can't find this on website.

Now ? they work on creating the game. Those thing will be added in website i think after alpha 2 (maybe even after beta 1)
    There is nothing close to a game before the begining of beta 1 (and it won't be the game either. Just, beta is product close to its final state with work to do for it)
  • Options
    We've been getting lore leeks since Kickstarter began.
  • Options
    pjrydeckerpjrydecker Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I remember Steven Saying his big picture ambition for AOC was that the game would be the centrepiece of a franchise including spin-off books etc. Big ambitions I agree but if you want to have people write novels etc based on the lore of your world the lore has to be pretty fricking good. Fingers crossed the game lore lives up to the ambition.
    4ZZpOBh.gif
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    You didnt purchase. You supported. Get your facts straight
  • Options
    MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    Lore has always been there just beneath the surface. One only needs to hunger for it enough and you shall have your fill.
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    pjrydecker wrote: »
    I remember Steven Saying his big picture ambition for AOC was that the game would be the centrepiece of a franchise including spin-off books etc. Big ambitions I agree but if you want to have people write novels etc based on the lore of your world the lore has to be pretty fricking good. Fingers crossed the game lore lives up to the ambition.

You can find the lore basis on the wiki
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Lore