Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why isn't Combat firmly cemented as a feature for Ashes?

Comments

• Options
    Merek wrote: »
    What about Asmongold, the largest WoW streamer?

He's likely just trying to get more viewers by widening his sphere of influence. He doesn't need to be interested in a game, he just needs to prattle about it.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Now is the time for them to experiment and see what works for this game. If they were going into beta and not alpha then I would be worried.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    My point:

Just do this as a tab game, it is your major public, trust me. The Action players are extremely demanding, they won't play the game if the combat is average, every new game that is going to release they want to be a NEW BDO, otherwise they dont play and say ''shit action combat''. Intrepid will lose the 2 publics with this shit hybrid crazy combat stuff.
  • Options
    Because they are scared to make a commitment for fear of alienating a certain portion of the community after 5 years they should have the most important aspect of the game nailed down in fact should have been sorted in the first year and stuck to...

Nothing to do with streamers this is a core design of the game trying to please all ends up pleasing no one..
  • Options
    Uncommon SenseUncommon Sense Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would make a decisive split where the 'hybrid' combat would be.
    Ranged weapons/dps skils (bow wand etc) action fixed reticle. Most user benefit.

Everything else ergo melee, balanced on standard tab rule set. Easier to crunch numbers not as play style detrimental. camera switch tab reticle not as implicated as you need to maintain contact target range.

• Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited November 2021
    Talents wrote: »
    The only combat AoC needs is from Tera Online, a 2011 mmo.
    Many abilities on hotbar, possibility for chains, action movement and aiming, AC still maintains good visuals (unlike eso), active block/dodge. Best combat ever.

Why it's not cemented yet? Too early. There are other, more basic systems that they need to cement and combat can wait for a few months. We are on a good track.

That isn't something I'd be interested in. This game needs combat that is fresh, some way or another, without it, it'll be dead within a year and everyone will be flocking back to WoW for their boring grind rotation to get their rocks off.

Not really. The type of person that still plays WoW wouldn't be interested in Ashes in the first place.

What about Asmongold, the largest WoW streamer? He showed a lot of interest in the game. If someone such as himself became interested in this game, what stops the other WoW players who have spent just as many years on WoW being interested? The only thing that would stop them would be the game becoming another run-of-the-mill MMO with a slight twist on the format.

Asmongold doesn't fully understand what kind of game Ashes is. For example, I watched him play New World on his second stream the other day. For an hour solid, he was bitching about open-world PvP and how it shouldn't be a thing in MMOs. He hates PvP, especially open-world PvP. Why would he enjoy Ashes? He played in Alpha 1 but in A1 the PvP was disabled for 90% of it because the corruption system wasn't in place. I fully expect him to change his tone regarding Ashes some time during Alpha 2.

The combat alone is not what makes an MMO "run of the mill" or not.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Talents wrote: »
    Asmongold doesn't fully understand what kind of game Ashes is. For example, I watched him play New World on his second stream the other day. For an hour solid, he was bitching about open-world PvP and how it shouldn't be a thing in MMOs. He hates PvP, especially open-world PvP. Why would he enjoy Ashes? He played in Alpha 1 but in A1 the PvP was disabled for 90% of it because the corruption system wasn't in place. I fully expect him to change his tone regarding Ashes some time during Alpha 2.

The combat alone is not what makes an MMO "run of the mill" or not.

Yeah, I was talking about this earlier. I did not have the specifics off the top of my head to back it up, but that is a prime example.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like watching Asmon, kind of annoying when he starts going off on that tangent though. He talks as if there's no one who just likes open world pvp in an open world pvp mmo. To him they must all be 13 year old kids laughing maniacally while they ruin other people's fun. Or most of them at least. No man, a lot of people just like open world pvp. It's fun and unpredictable. And it's more fun in some ways than structured/organized pvp.

He'll find his place in Ashes if he wants to. He should have the numbers to hold down an area of the map pretty firmly. But if an alliance of skilled players targets his alliance and he starts losing sieges and stuff, I expect massive bitching.
  • Options
    I just think we're witnessing a potentially big game being screwed up just to try to please an annoying minority who probably won't play this because ''the action combat is too average... let me back to BDO''.

Turn this shit all into TAB, Steve, it will be easier to everyone, especially for you at intrepid.
    The game has already a LOT OF FEATURES that will attract players. Just ged rid of the BDO players right now, while it's not too late and you end up having to keep up this ''hybrid combat'' daydream.
  • Options
    I just hope that both action and tab targeting are available for all skills, and not skill specific or locked in an setting menu. Let the players choose on the fly how to activate their abilities. For example, a priest has an ally targeted for his healing spells, but performs his attacks the "action way". Circumstances dictate what is the most efficient activation method, but the player always has the choice.

Open world PvP can be a pain. From my personal experience, it's more so when there are fixed factions because anyone from the other side is permanently branded as the enemy and there are no down side in attacking them, no repercussion for killing them. If there are no defined sides, anyone can be a potential ally, if not now maybe later. Games with predetermined factions often prevent communication between sides too.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    NishUKNishUK Member
    edited November 2021
    Asmongold doesn't fully understand what kind of game Ashes is. For example, I watched him play New World on his second stream the other day. For an hour solid, he was bitching about open-world PvP and how it shouldn't be a thing in MMOs. He hates PvP, especially open-world PvP.

I didn't think he had a hardened opinon like this, I'm going to try and find that now. He does seem open minded to me but I suppose it's automatic to someone who willingly exposes themselves to that much over the top instanced PvE content.

The amount of love towards FF14, which I consider a fine example of a console game but a terrible example of an MMO and MMO concepts is also concerning.

Edit - Apparently it's mostly stemmed from being griefed from obv being watched by 1000's of people.
    Serious question and I don't know if there's a thread dedicated to this but how can the streamer and Open World PvX dilemma be addressed without disturbing the games mechanics?
  • Options
    For all the people her how is saying just make it Tab Target, we are in 2021 not 2001.
  • Options
    Based on things Jahlon and Asmongold have said in videos or live on stream, they would probably prefer this game to be more along the lines of increased instanced content such as dungeons and raids, tab-targeting combat etc.

I too have watched their content and no, I do not agree with a lot of the things they say though they do bring up interesting discussion points. Asmongold would rather people have their own opinions rather than people simping over his opinion. They're not always right, but they're not always wrong, it's their opinions and at the end of the day, that's what it is, an opinion.

I think Intrepid catering the backer packages since apocalypse being so heavily around how much aesthetics this game will have from transmogrifications, costumes and mounts is the most decisive thing about this game since its announcement years ago based on video's and content I have watched. They definitely put themselves into a situation where they could piss off a lot of backers if they don't deliver and change too many features drastically.
  • Options
    Blip wrote: »
    For all the people her how is saying just make it Tab Target, we are in 2021 not 2001.

I played Archage fairly recently after experiencing BDO and NW not so long ago (Imagine if NW could actually utilize its combat alright, we know its a bad game) and Archeage not only felt outdated in a raw sense but it just emphasizes that tab target is a forced system where numbers and buffs/debuffs mean too much and that in itself is an outdated system leaning too much towards gearsore and strict play.

I think it's not hard to imagine if BDO had more traditional group and PvE systems of how fricking sick it could be, before the awakening classes were unlocked PvP was just incredible, I'm a fighting game fan heavily into Tekken and it had that awesome similar feeling.

Another huge reason why I want it is because of balance, Magic and Ranged classes and skills are inherintely bad to work around balancing when tab target is involved as the aim mechanic is just simple tab so the hits are guaranteed. You can work more aiming into tab targetting but it fields so much better and cooler in Action combat.

The last thing I want to see is tab targetting and Mage and Ranged classes are again easy and profitable classes like in most if not all mmo's of old.
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    WelshSteel wrote: »
    I didn't think he had a hardened opinon like this

He talks about it a lot on his alt twitch account Zackrawrr. Little plug for him there, he really is one of my favorite streamers. On that account he's a lot more down to earth instead of the showmanship he does on his main account. And he's very intelligent. I just disagree with him about open world pvp. Getting stream sniped probably hasn't helped that opinion. But I think he'd feel that way either way, he just doesn't like pvp very much, much less open world forced pvp.

• Options

Most of the games in 2021 have been broken shitty cash grabs with a slap of fresh hype paint. I'll take 2001 games thanks.

GW2 is tab. they made an action camera reticle mode....majority of player still use tab...So given the option the general player base preferred classic tab.

I think the hybrid philosophy has merit using action element to enhance classic tab. Mainly in ranged combat. But the foundation should be tab.

Just look how the battle royal action "test phase" went....where were the huge hordes of action combat aficionados and why aren't they still talking about how great the B'R was....

You see the MMO base is craving a nostalgia refresh, when the alpha tests started getting rolled out and the MMO base started getting their hands dirty the residual action combat B'R (2021 gaming) player influence regarding combat began to get criticized, The quick time auto attack mode scrapped, The basic attack movement animation skill locks scrapped...

BDO, warframe, ESO, SpewWorld...exist so if you like the play style of those games...play those games.

• Options
    There are many reasons why those games didn't survive or had short term success. Many games are just generic copies with cash shop exclusives for profit. Milking money off gamers for profit in cash shops does not translate to success for a quality game. Some features are trade offs but bad design is bad design.

Tab-targeting is an old system created more so because of technological limitations at the time, not because it was a better system. it's just become the generic normality for many clones in the genre.
  • Options
    Gaul_Gaul_ Member
    edited November 2021
    If Ashes is fully developed in its current scope and has good performance then it will be very popular regardless of where the hybrid combat system ends up precisely. It will blow competition out of the water because all new MMOs are complete garbage. They are either P2W grind games or they rush development and are doomed at launch.
    If Ashes ends up rushed to launch or has networking issues then it will just be business as usual for the MMORPG community.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    BDO, warframe, ESO, SpewWorld...exist so if you like the play style of those games...play those games.

I don't want to play those games because I want Action Combat with the interdependent Node system.
    Please don't reduce everything I want to JUST action combat.

As I've said before, if they can't marry AC with TT then so be it - Steven has already made a commitment to TT. Let's stop getting our pants in a knot and attacking each other so we can help them marry the two.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    GW2 is tab. they made an action camera reticle mode....majority of player still use tab...So given the option the general player base preferred classic tab.

The default mode is tab, players have to go out of their way to toggle something that wasn't inherantily setup with the game. A lot of players who've tried it have seen it as positive so I'd have to disagree with "given the option", I don't think we can gain a preference based off of that alone.
    I'm also not interested in GW2, I have no idea what hardcore PvP entails and if there's any detrements to using the Action toggle, I have briefly heard of mobiliy skills being a pain so based off that I just have to assume that this is a nice added feature but serious GW2 action demands that you stick with their inherit systems.
    You see the MMO base is craving a nostalgia refresh, when the alpha tests started getting rolled out and the MMO base started getting their hands dirty the residual action combat B'R (2021 gaming) player influence regarding combat began to get criticized, The quick time auto attack mode scrapped, The basic attack movement animation skill locks scrapped...

I don't know what you're implying here ultimately, 'quick time auto attack' & 'movement animation skill locks', you're saying these are linked to Action combat??
    What MMO's are you referring to specifically that were getting critized?
    I don't think it's at all a case of the 'MMO base' craving a nostaligic refresh, quite a few people who voice their opinions on forums and the like and we'll say are more on the "taking part" side of the fence as opposed to the competeing fence don't have a preference on combat, they just simply want what has been shown to work from their own experiences and "let's get on with the show", can barely blame them.

Well that's a take, those "MMO's" much like 14 and WoW (to a degree) have pretty damn weak mmo concepts, grouping and reliing on others is limited, am I going to play a game based off of combat systems alone?
    Anyone who has played Black Desert and takes pride in being good at games will tell you that template was breathtaking and we definetly want to see more of it, in a game with more MMO concepts.
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »

I don't want to play those games because I want Action Combat with the interdependent Node system.

As I've said before, if they can't marry AC with TT then so be it - Steven has already made a commitment to TT. Let's stop getting our pants in a knot and attacking each other so we can help them marry the two.

for the record, my pants are not in a knot :smile:
  • Options
    You understand why, right? Not because it's enjoyable but because the majority of MMO players are used to not having to think past running a rotation to kill an enemy. While I acknowledge tab-target makes gameplay easy from the perspective of a player and a developer, it's garbage. The only reason people defend it is because they're afraid of being left behind. The community want change, but they want familiar change, they want a new MMO with old mechanics to relive their glory days. That isn't progressive at all.

Just look how the battle royal action "test phase" went....where were the huge hordes of action combat aficionados and why aren't they still talking about how great the B'R was....
    Because it was garbage? Nobody in their right mind would claim that it was anything but. What a weird comment to make.

When so many people want a nostalgia lick, they're negative towards progressive change. They'd rather have a sub-standard MMO that lets them get their rocks off for a few months than something that takes years to craft that actually pushes the genre forward.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2021
    maouw wrote: »

for the record, my pants are not in a knot :smile:

panties/knickers/pants same thing (kindof...) :D
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    You understand why, right? Not because it's enjoyable but because the majority of MMO players are used to not having to think past running a rotation to kill an enemy. While I acknowledge tab-target makes gameplay easy from the perspective of a player and a developer, it's garbage. The only reason people defend it is because they're afraid of being left behind. The community want change, but they want familiar change, they want a new MMO with old mechanics to relive their glory days. That isn't progressive at all.

What progressive is to you is in the minority view of the general MMO player base playstyle preference.
    Because it was garbage? Nobody in their right mind would claim that it was anything but. What a weird comment to make.

When so many people want a nostalgia lick, they're negative towards progressive change. They'd rather have a sub-standard MMO that lets them get their rocks off for a few months than something that takes years to craft that actually pushes the genre forward.

Yes the BR was garbage, and it was your opportunity to improve 'action combat' to be more progressive as you feel entitled too....
    Calling me weird is just juvenile shame tactic.

So by your metrics we've had 2 decades (2002-2021) To craft a progressive change but because of player negativity we've regressed....I understand that premise. And ive tried progressive new MMO offerings in that time.

Tabula Rasa, dead. Wildstar Dead, Age of Conan Dead some others...

What sticks around and has thriving populations....Traditional Tab my friend.

Amazon has billions of bank roll to throw at a progressive action combat MMO and they fudged it...

And now you want a privately self funded and kickstarted MMO Who's Lead wants a traditional nostalgia passion project to not make the game he wants to make....

Many Backers funded a "hybrid combat system" which means tab and action elements combined.

That was the sales pitch and that's what is to be expected.

I understand you want new and engaging but there's a lot of us who just want to call a place home.

I think the hybrid system could work but the pipe dream of action combat only is dead on arrival.

• Options
    rogdagorrogdagor Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2021
    The only combat AoC needs is from Tera Online, a 2011 mmo.
    Many abilities on hotbar, possibility for chains, action movement and aiming, AC still maintains good visuals (unlike eso), active block/dodge. Best combat ever.

Why it's not cemented yet? Too early. There are other, more basic systems that they need to cement and combat can wait for a few months. We are on a good track.

THIS!

No one ever mention Tera as Action Combat, always BDO or ESO.
    It was developed with UE3 so it still should be possible with the UE4 and also improve it.

Some skills were action and other "tab target", you just ahad to hover the crosshair on your target to lock it.

I usually play healer class in every mmo and the priest in Tera was one of the most fun I ever played, target healing, approaching positioning for big instant healing, fiery escape for dodge... it was soooo fun!
    I played shaman resto in WOW for years, but once tried the priest in Tera, getting back to the shaman was really boring.

Also the warrior with his high mobility, the dodge mechanic(or block if you play it tank), it was really fun to solo the BAMs when they were actually hard to do, so satisfying.
  • Options
    RamirezRamirez Member
    edited November 2021
    People can say what ever they want but i think action is the future, Amazon had in thier hands a gen, if they weren't incompetent, the game would have been a sucess, for the first time in years i had a guild with players that never played mmorpg, and alot of competitive and fps players, and they come for the action combat

I had some friends that i tryed to make them play mmorpg for a long time, but never played because of tab , camera, for the first time i m playing an mmorpg with them, NW, they sink already 800 hours in less then 2 months.

That Combat in new world with some fix, more skills, more deep , would be perfect, if the game in terms of rpg wasn`t so bad
  • Options
    Personally, I think wildstar should be mentioned more as a hybrid than GW2.
    I really liked their tab Target focus template attacks.

As long as they don't go back to the locked body animations they had at the beginning of their alpha1... That looked awful to play with...
  • Options
    NishUKNishUK Member
    edited December 2021
    Ramirez wrote: »
    People can say what ever they want but i think action is the future, Amazon had in thier hands a gen, if they weren't incompetent, the game would have been a sucess, for the first time in years i had a guild with players that never played mmorpg, and alot of competitive and fps players, and they come for the action combat

That Combat in new world with some fix, more skills, more deep , would be perfect, if the game in terms of rpg wasn`t so bad

NW has so many flaws I really don't want to get into it but say there's no real competitive systems in the game, it's all unrefined and led by people who weren't interested in its longetivity and replayability. Anyway...

I completely agree with good combat that leans on action style more than tab target/"skill rotato" style has way more power to bring in players that don't typically play this rather stagnant and uninspired genre.

NW's combat template was great, besides Life Staff being a stupid and not well thought out addition, although I will say if you look past the class locks Black Desert did it better but I would have to explain why and I don't feel like a wall of text right now....but NW being "perfect" if they simply just add in an 'rpg element'? nah you're cutting it way too short there!

• Options

From those only BDO qualifies as good action combat MMO, but other than the combat the game has no content for me, plus the trash monetization and upgrading systems.

I do have a few hundred hours on warframe, but its not really the game im looking for. ESO has decent content but the action combat is just so... impactless. New World is a tragedy, great foundation, terrible execution.

If I wanted to play a game just for its combat I would be playing Tera, but they turned that game to shit and it wasnt the combat that killed it, if anything its the only thing keeping it alive.

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Tera... best mmo combat design