Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Next Livestream + Q&A Submission - Friday, January 28, 2022 at 11AM Pacific

1235»

Comments

• JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    The world bosses during alpha required a lot of jumping, and dodging, and running away and I was wondering if built-in controller support was in mind? Each class only had a few abilities, so I feel like the game would play better with controller. Also, is the steam deck in mind? An ultra low quality setting for handhelds would be sweet.

Each class only had a few abilities because this an Alpha.

You can map quite easily in UE4 and presumably UE5.

Keep in mind, classes will have "less than 30" abilities on their hotbar by the time everything is accounted for.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • thanks a lot for the stream! :з
  • For as a tester/player/fan I thought the "cells" and ability to have multiple facets of development simultaneously was the most interesting part. How does this effect "bugs" or issues vs UR4? Is there potential to be more or less?
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited January 2022
    Greetings everyone - thank you so much again for sharing your questions with us, and for tuning in for today's livestream! In case you didn't hear us cover your question on the stream, it may be because we've shared an answer previously - check out more on that below!

@CYA_Currey (question), @MagmaKitten (question), @SongRune (question), @PeteNasty (question), @Hjerim (question), @Emberstone (question), @Lavitz Slambert (question), @nayrock (question), @DABZ16 (question) , @Garren (question), @Disobedient (question) - Thank you for your awesome questions! Your questions were randomly selected and answered on stream. In case you missed the stream, make sure to check out the VOD of the livestream on our YouTube channel!:)

@Leonerdo5 (question)- Stay tuned for more details on skills and abilities for each of the archetypes/classes as we dive deeper into testing them with you!

@Happymeal2415 (question) - Stay tuned for more information on node development! :)

@rumyel (question) - At the moment, we're hiring for our U.S. office! Intrepid will do visa sponsorships and hire outside of the U.S, so you can apply no matter where you are from! Our European office will likely be reserved for localization and marketing efforts. So, any development, design, art, production, etc. careers will remain at our U.S. location. Here is a link to our career page :)

@Maouii (question) - I'm not so sure that would create the most safe and productive environment for our developers haha ;)

@Karolm (question) - I assure you Ashes of Creation will have the smoothest and fluidest combat possible ;)

@Superplus (question) - Unfortunately, we simply do not have a date or time estimate as to when Alpha Two will be ready. Recently, we've been focused on the transition from Unreal Engine 4 to Unreal Engine 5. As development progresses, we'll have a better idea of when we will be able to deliver Alpha Two to our testers! Until then, we must sit tight and wait :)

@Sum12hate (question) - We have no plans of changing the established payment model for Ashes of Creation. You can read more about our payment model here :)

@Magic Man (question) - Stay tuned for more information on how introductory game mechanics will work! Not long ago we did a Dev Discussion series on this topic The developers have been looking over your feedback and using it to assist them with making design decisions :)

@Savadja (question) - UE5 can essentially do everything UE4 could and more, but better! :) The team is working on utility skills and Steven will happily show off more when they're ready to be shown off! Until then, in case you haven't seen it, here is our demo video from the December Dev Update Livestream that featured some light wall climbing in UE5 :)

@NishUK (question) - Unfortunately, it is simply too early to tell! I personally compile the answers from our Dev Discussions for our developers and I haven't compiled the answers for Dev Discussion #39 quite yet ;) This is a great question for a future livestream, though ;)

@Octag (question) - Yes! Elves can have beards :) Stay tuned for when our character creator is ready for showcasing! :)

@NiKr (question) - Steven has discussed this in the past, which can be found here :) He answers it better than I can ;)

@Alyxavior (question) - While we haven't announced how many people have pre-ordered Alpha Two, there will be plenty of players during the Alpha Two testing phase. :)

@Hurtmei (question) - You can read more about the Cleric archetype and their secondary archetypes here :)

@Nostra (question) - Item deconstruction/disassembly and crafting will largely NOT be RNG based. You can learn more about that here :)

@psym3x (question) - Great question! Our team is always looking towards implementing current and new technology where it makes sense to do so. Should the team deside that a benchmark feature within Ashes of Creation is within the scope of development, then we may see it! There will be recommended settings based on your hardware, though :)

@Girra (question), @DeadEye495 (question), @Mayhem (question) - Stay tuned for more information on professions as we progress further in development! :)

@CodyTea (question) - You can read more about what has been stated on this topic here on the wiki :)

@Cimarb (question) - We haven't shared any plans in regards to sharing game files for 3D printing. However, content creators that are part of our Content Creator Program will get certain support with assets. We will also eventually have cosplay reference kits available on our website to everyone :)

@Tulima (question), @SirChancelot (question) - For example, Tank/Tank (Gaurdian) is going to be the ultimate tank class. Any class with Tank as the primary archetype will be superior at tanking. Classes that take tank as a secondary archetype will naturally fall short of the tanking potential that a Tank primary archetpe class can provide but will still be viable for some tanking scenarios. You can read more about classes here, on the wiki :)

@Ozijak (question) - There will be plenty of large raids with in-depth bosses, trash mobs and challenging mechanics! With that said, Instances are intended for story arcs or class progression and there will be an 80/20 split between open world vs instanced encounters. You can read more about this here, on the wiki :)

@Magicianek (question) - Progression and progression pathways will be per character. However. Ashes of Creation will be very overall alt friendly :) You can read more about alts here and progression here. :)

@Shironeko (question) - Stand by for more information regarding UI as we progress further through development! For now, you can read about our UI here, on the wiki. :)

@Overthrow (question) - You can read more on node storage here as well as caravans here, on the wiki. :)

@Crango (question) - You can read more about the planned features, especially those for the next test phase (Alpha Two) here, on the wiki. :)

@Cadac (question) - Hello! We had a hard time understanding and interpreting your question. Can you please rephrase for us this next time you ask it? Thank you! :)

@thexman (question) - Stay tuned for more information on mount physics as we progress further through development! :)

@Goerge_Black (question) - As the Fighter archetype is currently planned for Alpha Two, stay tuned for more information on class development as we progress closer to Alpha Two! :)

@Swinkyy (question) - The character creator is being designed so it can stand alone and run freely of the game (so we can have fun creating characters before Alpha Two launches!) The way this works does not apply to classes. Instead, there is potential for spot testing before Alpha Two. Though. we will likely see and be able to play more archetypes once Alpha Two releases!

@Friendlyneighbor (question) - All will be revealed upon release ;) Stay tuned to find out more important lore information as we progress further towards the game's release!

@palabana (question) - Of course not! Nothing will change about the direction in regards to Ashes of Creation's environment art. Making Ashes of Creation is a team effort! We will miss folks who leave, but we'll continue to hire on new talent and move forward with our development.

@The Erudite Trader (question)- It'll be more than the traditional template of mobs spawning and roaming. If you haven't seen this entry in the wiki, check out this deeper dive on mobs here.

@nayrock (question)- For ships, expect weapons like potion launchers and other weapons used in naval combat based on the arcane arts. You can learn more about naval combat here, on the wiki!

@Eley (question)- If you're referring to arenas, we're planning for 1-man, 3-man, 5-man and the possibility of 20 person free-for-all arenas. You can learn more about Arenas here, on the wiki :)

@Sevariel (question)- While we will have dyes in Ashes of Creation, it won't be the same system as the example you provided. For more information on what is planned for dyes, see the wiki here!

@-T0Mb- (question)- Deep-sea fishing will have specific player mini-game requirements, and equipment. You can listen to what we shared on this topic during a previous livestream Q&A here

@Nerror (question) - RNG will largely not be a part of crafting outcomes. Instead, the quality of the craft will be a result of the effort required to gather, process and craft the items! You can read more about crafting here, on the wiki :) Stay tuned for more information on crafting in the future!

@Bardtic (question)- If a raid or dungeon opens through the advancement of a Node, if this node is destroyed you'll lose access to those points of interest.

@Cerenya (question)- We don't currently have a date announced for Alpha Two. Rest assured, as soon as we have a date, we will give it to you! You can read more about this on our Support page here

@RevengeRoman (question)- We'll invite Alpha One testers to help spot test the UE5 version of Ashes prior to Alpha Two (once it's ready). We may also invite Alpha Two members to the spot test, if needed. you can read more about it here :)

@Daevok (question)- While the team has been working on class abilities for many years, note that your skills come from your primary archetype, and are augmented by your secondary archetype choice. Check out more information on classes and class abilities here, on the wiki :)

@Wilmo998 (question) - At the moment this is not planned for the game. Instead, by efficient areas of farming being persistent, those areas become desired and therefore fought after, encouraging PvP! The cycle of PvP for these locations in turn may encourage players to relocate.

@Sunboy (question)- Ashes of Creation has been planned as an original IP since the start of development.

@234Graph (question)- As we transition Ashes of Creation into UE5, character models should look better than what has previously been shared.

@Schilar (question)- We believe that Real Money Transactions (RMT) diminishes the accomplishments of others, and destabilizes the intended experience of the game for our players. We're committed to proactively safe-guarding against this. We're implementing security mechanisms to help monitor accounts and take action as appropriate to keep RMT activity out of Ashes of Creation.

@ThePaperGamer (question)- Mount skins are applicable to specific tiers of mounts. You can learn more about mounts and mount skins here, on the wiki :)

@Diggy (question)- We'll be taking a hard stance against all forms of cheating. You can get an idea of what we have planned for security here, on the wiki :)

@Apok (question)- Even two players of the same archetype will be able to diversify their characters' playstyle in significant ways by the choices they make. This isn't through gear alone. You can learn more about the different verticals of character progression [url="link to https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Progression"]here, on the wiki[/url]!

@Lyon (question)- When the mob you have targeted dies, you'll choose the next target. You can learn more on what we've shared regarding combat targeting here, on the wiki!

@TokenGamer (question)- You can learn more about our current plans for player movement, including climbing here, on the wiki!

@BeerBrats (question)- While we're always excited to have new people join our team, and we're sad when people leave the project, these things are normal for the industry.
    Steven Sharif is the Creative Director for Ashes of Creation, and his vision brings consistency to the project from pre-launch, to launch and live service periods for the game. In addition, internal documentation and process helps ensure for consistency across what the game team is working on.

@l3v3rag3 (question), @daveywavey (question)- We know there have been questions regarding cosmetics. We're continuing to work with our design team to provide details on what type of Freehold building each cosmetic would cover, for both past and future items!
    In regards to refunds, our current refund policy can be found here

@Arpollious (question)- While you might find similarities and differences between different MMO worlds in regards to crafting, learning curve, and repercussions for your actions, Ashes of Creation has both new and unique views on these systems.

@Adonex (question)- We don't have any update for this month's Q&A, but we know sound elements, including game music, matters to our players. We're excited to share more, once it's ready!

@JustVine (question)- Our plans are still to include different perception modes for different NPCs. To be clear, the quote about sound and scent was in reference to invisibility and sneaking past NPCs. If you want to go back and see the stream replay where this was previously discussed, you can find it here :)

@AlphaDx (question) - Stay tuned for more information coming soon on postures and the character creator ;)

@CROW3 (question)- The current plan is to have points of interest information added to your map, as you successfully explore an area. You can find more information regarding what we've shared regarding exploration and how it impacts your world map here, on the wiki!

@SonicHoot (question)- If you're corrupted, you'll be KOS to NPC guards. We discussed this on a previous livestream, and you can check it out here

@RazThemun (question)- A Shadow Disciple will have Cleric abilities with Rogue augments. A Cultist will have Rogue abilities with Cleric augments. Primary focus will be the base archetype, and Shadow Disciple and Cultist should play like very different classes!

@Obamanizer (question)- At this time, there are no plans for directional nameplates. Since nameplates will have information, such as an indication of how much damage a character has taken, it may not be a great player experience to have them disappear if your target is out of sight. As with all things, this is of course subject to change with design iterations as we progress further into development!

@Gregoriaus (question)- We believe that an important element of MMORPGs is supporting role-playing. This includes adding social animations, and the ability to interact with things in the world, including sitting in chairs. Stay tuned for more information in the future on these systems!

@Flanker (question), @Maverick V6 (question), @QUILTSHARTS (question), @Scroon (question), @CeliBob (question), @Lizeq (question), @Snekkers (question), @Meowstical (question), @Midiga (question), @Sathrago (question), @AidanKD (question), @Wulfenthrad (question), @N0TEVEN (question), @Highdrass (question), @ChaosFactor (question), @RowniSciponi (question), @The Cawckiest King (question), @Goalid (question), @Kamik (question), @VECNA (question), Thank you so much for your questions! Though, we'd ask that you please only post one concise question next time as requested, and if you only posted one question, please make sure to keep it as direct/succinct as possible - that way it's more likely to be picked!

@HappyGoLucky (question) , @Bergund Ironguard (question), @JHWRD (question), @Heliux (question) , @MonteCristo Thank you all for your questions! In the future, please try to provide your livestream Q&A submissions prior to the deadline so that your question can be featured. We do these livestream Q&As every month, so please post it again before the deadline closes next month! :D
    community_management.gif
  • Vaknar wrote: »

@Tulima (question), @SirChancelot (question) - For example, Tank/Tank (Gaurdian) is going to be the ultimate tank class. Any class with Tank as the primary archetype will be superior at tanking. Classes that take tank as a secondary archetype will naturally fall short of the tanking potential that a Tank primary archetpe class can provide but will still be viable for some tanking scenarios. You can read more about classes here, on the wiki :)
    Thank you for answer!
    But I can be dense, does that translate roughly into...
    I may be able to use an x/tank as the tank with a group of friends doing a dungeon run for grinding, but not as main tank in an end game raid scenario?
    I just want to make sure I'm not missing the point too hard
  • Unfortunately, I haven't received an answer for my question and haven't found any answers related to that, but I'm glad to see many other important question answered! Thank you so much for your work!
    n8ohfjz3mtqg.png
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vaknar wrote: »
    @Nerror (question) - RNG will largely not be a part of crafting outcomes. Instead, the quality of the craft will be a result of the effort required to gather, process and craft the items! You can read more about crafting here, on the wiki :) Stay tuned for more information on crafting in the future!

Thank you, but the question wasn't really about crafting, which I know Steven has previously said won't have much RNG :smile:

Animal Husbandry, a processing profession, will have RNG elements according to Steven. Smelting is also a processing profession. Will it have RNG elements on par with animal husbandry? Or any at all? That was more the direction of my question. ;)
  • @Vaknar I think you might have linked the wrong thing? Since that doesnt really
    answer my question.
    Flanker wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I haven't received an answer for my question and haven't found any answers related to that, but I'm glad to see many other important question answered! Thank you so much for your work!

I tagged you in the response thread as to why your question was not selected :) LMK if you have any questions on that! Thank you for your question submission!
    community_management.gif
    Hurtmei wrote: »
    @Vaknar I think you might have linked the wrong thing? Since that doesnt really
    answer my question.

I went back and corrected the link! Sorry about that :)
    community_management.gif
  • 👀 Check out our January Development Update to catch a peek at the new race reveals and updates! https://youtu.be/kMpvFgzuU64

🤔 What race are you most interested in playing as?

(Added to OP as well. ;) )
    marketing.gif
  • AlzeidoAlzeido Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    At first i was going to ask if slimes were in the game, but after looking at the cosmetics in the shop i have a better one.

MMO's for all time now have fallen into the whole, Make = spiky tank/plate armour, whilst women have alot more versatile, beautiful cute and badass clothing. Looking at the Ashes cosmetics shop doesn't seem to deviate from this.
    Will male characters get just as much attention as female characters inr egards to versatile clothing options? from what i've seen so far the males are lacking compared to females.
  • Alzeido wrote: »
    At first i was going to ask if slimes were in the game, but after looking at the cosmetics in the shop i have a better one.

MMO's for all time now have fallen into the whole, Make = spiky tank/plate armour, whilst women have alot more versatile, beautiful cute and badass clothing. Looking at the Ashes cosmetics shop doesn't seem to deviate from this.
    Will male characters get just as much attention as female characters inr egards to versatile clothing options? from what i've seen so far the males are lacking compared to females.

To date, there is zero female-only armor; for every female set you see, there is a male equivalent.

• AruganArugan Member, Alpha One
    Character Customization:
    - Will there be sliders but with limiters? (changing Nose width and length)
    or
    - Will there be preset? (10 - 30 different nose types)
  • AlzeidoAlzeido Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Alzeido wrote: »

To date, there is zero female-only armor; for every female set you see, there is a male equivalent.

I didnt mean exclusive to females, i meant in terms of design. the female ones i've seen have lots of interesting features that seem to be porly transitioned to the male physique, makes it look super blocky to me. just because they're part of male and female set doesnt mean they have to look exactly alike yaknow? they can have differences, hopefully not oversexualised but if theres a male and female of a armour set its clear that the male ones are basically copy pastes of the female armour onto the male model and it doesnt transition well more often than not... just seeing the cosmetics in the shop now its making me want to roll a female as the outfits look more natural.
  • Is the alpha 2 test going to include a more finalized version of the crafting system?
  • RazThemunRazThemun Member
    edited February 2022
    What is the possibility of races thriving in certain environments more than others? Example maybe dwarves running on snow better, being resistant to the cold, etc . And Vaelune being more resistent to the heat? End result Vaelune freezing during combat in dwarve territory and dwarves having heat exhaustion in Vaelune territories and not running across the desert sands as quickly as the Vaelune?