Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Lost Ark player feedback for AoC ideas

13»

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2022
    KeeperBrGO wrote: »
    Why are you so closed to ideas? You know the game has all the potential to fail, right?
    It doesn't cost anything for us to try to understand the other's point, if you get so resistant to trying help the discussion maybe you don't need to create noise.
    Um. Why are you summoning me?
    I shared my opinion. I have not spent any time challenging other opinions in this thread.
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2022
    Dygz wrote: »
    I shared my opinion. I have not spent any time challenging other opinions in this thread.

Same reason you shared an opinion, because they wanted to.

Your opinion does challenge others opinions. This thread is talking about things in a game ashes could learn from. Your opinion in that the devs should completely ignore the game, which means you don't think the devs should listen to any of the opinions of this thread that are related to that game.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2022
    Dygz wrote: »

Same reason you shared an opinion, because they wanted to.

Your opinion does challenge others opinions. This thread is talking about things in a game ashes could learn from. Your opinion in that the devs should completely ignore the game, which means you don't think the devs should listen to any of the opinions of this thread that are related to that game.
    My opinion does not challenge anyone.
    It is different from some and similar to others.
    I am not here trying to convince anyone to share my opinion.
    I have not commented that anyone who does not share my opinion should change theirs.
    I have not said anything like, "The devs should not listen to any opinions of this thread".
    The forums are here for the devs to listen to all the opinions broached here.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    I played Lost Ark last night.... personally not impressed with anything.

Starter area has bad voice acting (I watch a lot of anime so I know bad).
    Graphics are ok but I don't personally like the isometric view.

For me the biggest turn off was the quest system. Go here it shows me with a big arrow, press this button a pop-up informs me. Ooh, big gold '!', must be a quest.
    Maybe that all changes once I get out of the first island which I thought was basically the tutorial island.

I thought the spider boss would kill me at least once as I figured him out. Nope. Face rolled him hitting the wrong buttons.
    So weird having QWER and ASD as skill keys, don't think I'll be able to get used to that. I keep trying to strafe with Q and E.
  • Options
    MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
    edited February 2022
    pyreal wrote: »
    I played Lost Ark last night.... personally not impressed with anything.

Starter area has bad voice acting (I watch a lot of anime so I know bad).
    Graphics are ok but I don't personally like the isometric view.

For me the biggest turn off was the quest system. Go here it shows me with a big arrow, press this button a pop-up informs me. Ooh, big gold '!', must be a quest.
    Maybe that all changes once I get out of the first island which I thought was basically the tutorial island.

I thought the spider boss would kill me at least once as I figured him out. Nope. Face rolled him hitting the wrong buttons.
    So weird having QWER and ASD as skill keys, don't think I'll be able to get used to that. I keep trying to strafe with Q and E.

Yes , definitely LA has many inconsistencies and meaningless content, for example:
    lyoFeKD.jpg
    The missions have a limited time but they are so easy to do that they can easily be done in 20 seconds, lol it makes no sense to put a time limit of 2 minutes on a mission that could be done in 20 seconds.
    Where is the challenge?
    tVsAbab.jpg
    Main quests that are supposed to be difficult (a championship against the best warriors in that city), some mobs are harder to kill than those champions (honorable mention to the second champion who was at least entertaining).
    What is the point of making those missions so easy? LA was able to do a real challenge there, that would have been more fun than beating them so easily, that was too boring.

There are definitely many things in LA that show that easy stuff is boring and that it doesn't generate anything positive unless the idea of ​​playing an MMO is to play alone LOL

EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    Something AoC can learn from Lost Ark is how it encourages the player to explore every zone. When the player enters a new zone they have a choice: Only do the main story questline or take your time and explore the zone. Every zone has hidden quests, several dungeons, collectibles, cooking recipes, unique monsters, and more. Accomplishing these things will grant the player rewards.

If AoC doesn't need to copy this system but it could learn from it, improving the exploration aspect of the game.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You talked about considering having regional servers for south america before, can we get an update on this and would you be considering having those servers ready for launch or post-launch?
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    edited February 2022
    Tulima wrote: »
    Something AoC can learn from Lost Ark is how it encourages the player to explore every zone. When the player enters a new zone they have a choice: Only do the main story questline or take your time and explore the zone. Every zone has hidden quests, several dungeons, collectibles, cooking recipes, unique monsters, and more. Accomplishing these things will grant the player rewards.

If AoC doesn't need to copy this system but it could learn from it, improving the exploration aspect of the game.

The sad thing is that the 'world' is generally made up of narrow paths. Nearly everywhere you go is exactly where everyone else has gone.
    It reminds me of a 2d side scroller with a goofy camera angle.
  • Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    One thing I do enjoy from lost ark is the boss's don't have health bars. You either beat it or if you wipe at the end it tells what % you had left but during the fight nothing
  • Options
    Lost Ark is pretty meh. The most important takeaway for Ashes:

A smooth combat system absolves many sins.

Everything else is either boiler plate mmo, or has been done better by Wolcen, PoE, or Diablo III.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    The details, the damn details make the difference
    I was cutting a tree when another player came to cut the same tree, my ax and his ax disappeared and became a long saw so that the two of us working as a team can cut the tree, what a nice touch.
    That caused us to have a conversation and become friends.
    g8Z8meS.jpg

ha..I had exact same thing happen...we were like "whoa" wth? haha.
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    You talked about considering having regional servers for south america before, can we get an update on this and would you be considering having those servers ready for launch or post-launch?

All in time, you have to form a more solid community to demonstrate what we are capable in Latin America, therefore to continue working on it :)
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Lost Ark is pretty meh. The most important takeaway for Ashes:

A smooth combat system absolves many sins.

Everything else is either boiler plate mmo, or has been done better by Wolcen, PoE, or Diablo III.

Totally.
    I think it was a good thing to relax the need for a good MMO, it was not the best, but at least it had its moment of entertainment.
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    Think I'm late to this comment but the only 2 things I enjoy in LA is combat, combat mechanics such as stagger and counter, boss mechanics though not all of them and lots to collect

That is it though. The rest of LA lacks. Boring loot for the arpg side and everything in game is time gated grind making it bad mmo. Once you finish most islands and get into t3 the game gets way better. Still that said I'll take AoC anyday because it'll be a better mmo and have (I hope) good pvp

Guess we will have to wait and see once enough stuff gets into the game classes/2nd classes and really play test combat. Hopefully aoc can deliver
  • Options
    ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Played 10 hours of Lost Ark, don't plan to play much more. As much as everybody loves the combat, I just don't feel it. It doesn't matter how flashy or well designed it is when I can't find anything challenging. Easiest ARPG I've played, easier than Minecraft Dungeons. My eyes started to glaze over as soon as I realized I could mount up and run past everything. Maybe the game gets more challenging later, but I've spent 10 hours almost falling asleep trying to get there, and I'm pretty much done.

If I were to make any suggestions for AOC based off my LA experience: give new players some challenges. Kill them if they try to run through three packs of enemies. Reward them for paying attention.
  • Options
    Shoelid wrote: »
    Played 10 hours of Lost Ark, don't plan to play much more. As much as everybody loves the combat, I just don't feel it. It doesn't matter how flashy or well designed it is when I can't find anything challenging. Easiest ARPG I've played, easier than Minecraft Dungeons. My eyes started to glaze over as soon as I realized I could mount up and run past everything. Maybe the game gets more challenging later, but I've spent 10 hours almost falling asleep trying to get there, and I'm pretty much done.

If I were to make any suggestions for AOC based off my LA experience: give new players some challenges. Kill them if they try to run through three packs of enemies. Reward them for paying attention.

LA is far from easy. You never made to abyss or legion raids. Good luck. If only 10 hours in you never made it out of the tutorial. It would be no different than judging WoW when you never made it pass goldshire or something
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If it takes 10 hours to get out of the tutorial the rest can't be good.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    1sab3la wrote: »

LA is far from easy. You never made to abyss or legion raids. Good luck. If only 10 hours in you never made it out of the tutorial. It would be no different than judging WoW when you never made it pass goldshire or something

I trust that it gets hard later, but I spent 10 hours trying to get to the hard part and got bored. I'm not the only one; My girlfriend (who only started gaming last year) quickly fell out of interest. She was happy with the combat, but running to each questgiver and spamming G then blowing up a pack of monsters in two hits then running to the next questgiver... it's just not engaging.

And on the tutorial point: A tutorial is constantly teaching you things. In my 10 hour experience I was taught how to blow up packs of monsters and how to spam through quests. That could've been 1 hour. Unless the tutorial was trying to teach me patience, it's a horrible tutorial.
  • Options

Big true. Says something about the dev team's design philosophy if they think a tutorial experience should be that long.

Keep in mind, I wasn't even finished. A couple google searches tell me that 1) it gets hard when you hit level 50 and 2) level 50 takes 25 hours to get.

fuck. that.

ALSO, in those google searches I saw MULTIPLE people call level 50 "the end of the tutorial", and berated others for quitting before then. What kind of psycho thinks a 25 hour tutorial is good and normal.
  • Options
    1sab3la1sab3la Member
    edited April 2022

Big true. Says something about the dev team's design philosophy if they think a tutorial experience should be that long.

Keep in mind, I wasn't even finished. A couple google searches tell me that 1) it gets hard when you hit level 50 and 2) level 50 takes 25 hours to get.

fuck. that.

ALSO, in those google searches I saw MULTIPLE people call level 50 "the end of the tutorial", and berated others for quitting before then. What kind of psycho thinks a 25 hour tutorial is good and normal.

It's because that is max level. Well sort of max.. you can grind another 10 levels but just don't think of 60 as max. In other words just play until you get the last 10. It's heavy story but most people rush. Before level 35ish most people just rush clicking G to rush through dialog

First it is unlocking skills and upgrading them. When you upgrade is can change some skills by a lot

Then you get your free mount and pet and pet can repair and so on.

It slow drips in dungeons and your supposed to learn how to dodge and as you go harder bosses again your supposed to learn how to stagger but trust me no one does lol. (I can't blame players 100% because it should teach better)

Then later gem system and it's not a fun one due to heavy rng but you need to learn it. You also get the engravings which is a small learning curve but you need to learn it. Big progression here for damage or support (how you build)

You also get to meet a lot of npc you'll do rapport with and unlock some really good stuff.

All this is by around level 35 or so. Soon you'll get your boat and game teaches you to explore a bit. If you made it this far the last part is really fast

Problem is the first zone before you get your ship because it has lots of talking and side quest. People don't like it. In Korea people don't like it. In Korea people don't like t1 or t2 stuff

The games lead apologized for t1 and t2 because it's just not very good. Oddly enough the t3 stuff isn't bad but people in NA/EU have to go through all the stuff Korea did which even they didn't like.

Oh well I don't want to get off topic it just frustrating because I'm displeased with amazon games management

I don't want aoc to rush but gezz I need a good mmo to play. WoW is just bad, ffx is heavy pve and eso while not bad for fantasy has bad pvp. NW is junk so uh... still hoping one day can get a pvp mmo again

Say archage did a sub server but idk about that
  • Options
    One thing that Lost ark catch me was the collectible system, and usually i ignore this in mmorpgs, but they made it in a way that is relevant, collectible give stats, skill points , recipes mounts and alot of other things is really addictive
  • Options
    fabulafabula Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Played Lost Ark for about 600 hrs, got several chars to T3 but its been weeks since I last logged in and I doubt I ever will.

My feedback for AoC is regarding the "horizontal" progression, this is something that is often praised about LA, use only as a guide into what NOT to do.

Only the few skill points trapped behind the collectibles can count as progression since everything else doesn't matter or is locked away behind months/years of RNG and seems to be left overs from older versions of the game that never got updated. In my opinion, the only horizontal progression in LA are your alts.

Overall my main problem with Lost Ark is the same I had with WoW, the game is an mmorpg in name only and feels more like a single player game.
  • Options
    Lost A
    Okeydoke wrote: »
    This is an incredible opportunity for Intrepid. I think they need to invest a lot of time into examining all the systems of Lost Ark. And then do the opposite while developing Ashes.

I think this is a pretty good idea. LA plays like a solo game, very linier, goofy cosmetics, [G] spam through boring content, log in reward systems that are cringe worthy at best, boring easy smash huge hoards of mobs combat. Can we stay away from penguin suits and surfboards please.
  • Options
    Don't do anything Lost Ark have done. Or they deserve to fail. There are so many things wrong with that mmo
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I've played it for a while now. The combat is pretty fun, it gets a lot better when you get higher in level (at first it felt only so-so). I play a paladin, and as I said before the skills make you feel powerful. The graphics are pretty nice too.

The worst thing about LA is that there are too many bots. It ruins what is supposed to be a multiplayer game. When 90% of the other characters I see are clones of the same Berserker with random strings of characters for names, and every populated zone chat is nothing but 2-3 people spamming gold-selling sites, your game sucks. There can't be any community. The game only works as a single-player game.

Clearly they don't put any real effort into protecting their game from that behavior. I've played multiplayer games of one kind or another for almost 30 years now (going all the way back to MUDs) and I have literally never seen another game taken over by bots and spammers like this game is. It's pitiful.

I think the most that AoC can take away from the game is a cautionary tale. Security matters. Thank goodness Ashes isn't free-to-play and doesn't even plan to offer trials. It should be insulated from the vast majority of that by default.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    I've played it for a while now. The combat is pretty fun, it gets a lot better when you get higher in level (at first it felt only so-so). I play a paladin, and as I said before the skills make you feel powerful. The graphics are pretty nice too.

The worst thing about LA is that there are too many bots. It ruins what is supposed to be a multiplayer game. When 90% of the other characters I see are clones of the same Berserker with random strings of characters for names, and every populated zone chat is nothing but 2-3 people spamming gold-selling sites, your game sucks. There can't be any community. The game only works as a single-player game.

Clearly they don't put any real effort into protecting their game from that behavior. I've played multiplayer games of one kind or another for almost 30 years now (going all the way back to MUDs) and I have literally never seen another game taken over by bots and spammers like this game is. It's pitiful.

I think the most that AoC can take away from the game is a cautionary tale. Security matters. Thank goodness Ashes isn't free-to-play and doesn't even plan to offer trials. It should be insulated from the vast majority of that by default.

Doesn't matter. Wow had full box price with $15 sub and for a long time you would see out of control gold spam. I know people who spent 100s and 100s on gold back then. Took a while but even when you didn't see them in game they existed. Blizzard didn't mess around. Amazon just just went low cost and thought easy cheat would take care of it

Regardless I think aoc will have some people in game like old days. I trust aoc a lot more than ags until aoc proves me otherwise
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Atama wrote: »

hear hear!

So another piece of feeback, Vertus was a really challenging boss low-tier boss before his nerfs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYqPvjWfKU8
    I'm pretty happy with the fight experience pre nerfs EXCEPT FOR THE GRAB (from 2:10 in the video).
    Bosses grabbing players has been a requested feature in Ashes, and from a spectator's perspective it's quite entertaining the way Vertus absolutely dominates the player. But from the player's perspective this grab is NOT FUN because:
    • It's a really drawn out inevitable death (ignoring wall collision "dodge")
    • The grabbed player can't do anything but watch
    • Nobody else can do anything about it (ignoring stagger), shields don't work, buffs don't work, heals don't work. Why?!

If any Ashes' boss picks up a player, please either:
    • give the team something that they can do to release/protect the player
    • let the player who is inevitably going to die go out in a blaze of glory/panic (e.g. let them press all their ults before they die)

I've decided to take hiatus from LA - will be sharing more detailed feedback in drips and drabs
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7cQ7DMI7CM

With the imminent arrival of Lost Ark I would like to leave this segment for possible Lost Ark feedback for AoC.

-What things from Lost Ark should inspire AoC?
    -What things from Lost Ark shouldn't inspire AoC?
    -What things from Lost Ark do you think could be in AoC?
    -What things from Lost Ark do you think could not be in AoC?

Anything you see in Lost Ark that could be good or bad for AoC is also welcome.

Nothing from Lost Ark should inspire AoC, but that's just my opinion.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    1sab3la wrote: »
    Doesn't matter. Wow had full box price with $15 sub and for a long time you would see out of control gold spam. I know people who spent 100s and 100s on gold back then. Took a while but even when you didn't see them in game they existed.
    I don't care as long as they're not spamming and being a nuisance. And that's completely false; there was never "out of control gold spam". You'd see it, but it was rare, and it wasn't until they started letting in people without subscriptions (as trial accounts) until it really became a thing.

It matters. It matters a lot. It makes all the difference.

Hhak63P.png