Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

We need the option to disable cosmetics.

13»

Comments

• Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    Grimseethe wrote: »
    Theyre going to add pve servers once hundreds of thousands of people leave in the first week of finding out there arent any, they would be fools not to have pve servers.

how about you just go find a PvE game....?

I did its called, pantheon rise of the fallen.
  • Options
    Theyre going to add pve servers once hundreds of thousands of people leave in the first week of finding out there arent any, they would be fools not to have pve servers.

This has to be a troll account, i no longer can take anything he says seriously.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    What are you on about, you don't even know how gear works in this game its not WoW. AOC will never be WoW it is designed as a completely different game. My opinion will never change on that, knowing what you are up against a head of time and trying to make a counter build to them before a fight is a casual mentality.

Seriously when did all these PvE players think they are pro PvPers now all the sudden.
    The only WoW I've played is ~20h of tbc classic, yet I'm here hating on transmogs and asking for a direct sight-reading of enemies power lvls (at least rough estimates). You know why? Because I've played L2 for 12 years and sight-read all my enemies and knew when to engage them or when to run, or when to prepare for a specific kind of fight.

If you consider L2's owpvp casual, I dunno what to tell you.

Rough estimates are fine imo but this is AoC not L2, cosmetics are here to stay its too late to complain about them now. People should have did that years ago, we already have diablo immoral making 24 million dollars. If you can't sight read enemies int he game i have 0 issue, I'm just happy there is no pay to win. This is still a business at the end of the day, and i want them to have reason to grow. Moment you can turn cosmetics off its pointless to buy it.
  • Options
    SinderSinder Member

Moment you can turn cosmetics off its pointless to buy it.

Yuuuuuup, the shop will never make a cent if everyone just toggles it all off.

Plus the game needs costumes/transmog. Imagine running around in some of the BIS armor sets in wow. 80% of the time they looked God awful!

You had to change them to some pog looking green aesthetic gear just to look like garrosh hadn't picked it out for you and taken a dump on it before making you wear it.

Cosmetics have to stay to fund the game and give people a creative avenue to express themselves and form an attachment through the full customisation arc of their own character.
    wbauorbolxt1.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Some of these comments have me worried. People saying that we shouldn't be able to inspect players' gear before a fight have almost assuredly never played a hardcore PvP game where deaths are regressive. Combat shouldn't be blindly running into people. Knowing who you're up against is vital for gameplay that feels fair.

It'll be interesting to see their opinions change. The first time they die to a group of gankers in high catch high damage gear in full cosmetic overrides to obscure the fact that they' a ganking party will have people begging Intrepid for change. The anything goes in the wilderness RP isn't as fun as people have it made out in their heads.
    Ashes is a PvX game; not a hardcore PvP game.
    If gankers are killing me, why do I care what kind of gear they are wearing?
    And... I can check their nametag symbol to assess their gear if I wish, so - that's not really blind.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hailee wrote: »
    Moment you can turn cosmetics off its pointless to buy it.

Yuuuuuup, the shop will never make a cent if everyone just toggles it all off.

Plus the game needs costumes/transmog. Imagine running around in some of the BIS armor sets in wow. 80% of the time they looked God awful!

You had to change them to some pog looking green aesthetic gear just to look like garrosh hadn't picked it out for you and taken a dump on it before making you wear it.

Cosmetics have to stay to fund the game and give people a creative avenue to express themselves and form an attachment through the full customisation arc of their own character.

Yeah I agree. I personally hate how cookie cutter and garrish bis nonsense tends to get. I really do feel like transmogs where your gear still has to be based off the same type of gear you are taking the appearance of is really the best method for resolving this when in conjunction with the planned nameplate tech. It's the best of both worlds and a firm compromise even if it's imperfect.

Unfortunately it's still unclear to me if full body costumes get to circumvent the prerequisites that transmogs will have which might cause some minor gameplay issues. A lot of PvP is about knowing your enemy and knowing what approach you need to take given their build and tactical approach. Knowing if an opponents defense skews magic vs physical at a glance can matter quite a lot in giving certain builds the initial edge in health after all. I personally hope they at least require you wear the same body piece as whatever you are wearing in terms of 'type' (ie, leather for leather cloth for cloth etc.)

I asked about this in the last Q&A and they gave me a firm 'we aren't talking about cosmetic policy right now' so it might be quite some time until this specific part of the cosmetic policy puzzle get's clarified.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Ya know what solves the "BiS is fucking uggly" problem? Designing your game's BiS gear to not look ugly. But I know that it's pointless to argue for this point cause people are way too damn deep into their dressup fantasies, and I am happy that it allows the game to not be p2w, so I'll just learn to ignore everyone's cosmetics and only look at the stat buff icon.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ya know what solves the "BiS is fucking uggly" problem? Designing your game's BiS gear to not look ugly. But I know that it's pointless to argue for this point cause people are way too damn deep into their dressup fantasies, and I am happy that it allows the game to not be p2w, so I'll just learn to ignore everyone's cosmetics and only look at the stat buff icon.

It's more so that when you need a bunch of different pieces for a build they don't always look good together and clash or bring out the worst in each other. Dye systems help mitigate this somewhat, but it only goes so far since textures and shape have their own large impact on something looking tasteful in symphany. I know you are pretty pro gear set as, but that sort of leans into the cookie cutterness for me as well.

I humbly accept your humanitarian tolerance of us costume lovers >.> The civility is appreciated.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options

Yeah. The best looking gear should be from the game and not from the cash shop. I hate games where you look like a beggar or clown and all the guchi stuff can be get from the shop... However, cash shops could focus sell something different or special but the most bad ass looking gear should come from the game.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • Options
    KeeperBrGOKeeperBrGO Member
    edited June 2022
    You don't need to inspect someone to know their gear. If you are familiar with archeage, there will be a buff that shows the type of gear being worn and the quality. The icon alone should allow you to recognize what players are wearing.

Having to click a person to see their gear buffs is no less obstructive than clicking to inspect them. Every second matters in a pvp game. I don't want to have to click each person to read about what gear they're wearing as they're killing me.

Who said you had to click on them to see it? It could float next to their name.
    ClintHardwood
    doesn't want to understand, nuance is missing
  • Options
    ClintHardwoodClintHardwood Member
    edited June 2022
    Some of these comments have me worried. People saying that we shouldn't be able to inspect players' gear before a fight have almost assuredly never played a hardcore PvP game where deaths are regressive. Combat shouldn't be blindly running into people. Knowing who you're up against is vital for gameplay that feels fair.

It'll be interesting to see their opinions change. The first time they die to a group of gankers in high catch high damage gear in full cosmetic overrides to obscure the fact that they' a ganking party will have people begging Intrepid for change. The anything goes in the wilderness RP isn't as fun as people have it made out in their heads.

What are you on about, you don't even know how gear works in this game its not WoW. AOC will never be WoW it is designed as a completely different game. My opinion will never change on that, knowing what you are up against a head of time and trying to make a counter build to them before a fight is a casual mentality.

Seriously when did all these PvE players think they are pro PvPers now all the sudden.

It's cute you think I'm a PvE player. For the past few years, most of my time has been spent on Albion online, a hardcore full-loot PvP game where the bulk of combat takes place in the open world. I have never even played WoW. I'm not even sure what my post had to do with WoW. I advise you to take a deep breath and reflect the next time you want to make a personal attack against someone you know nothing about.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Dygz wrote: »

Ashes is a PvX game; not a hardcore PvP game.
    If gankers are killing me, why do I care what kind of gear they are wearing?
    And... I can check their nametag symbol to assess their gear if I wish, so - that's not really blind.

Because the gear of the people killing you decides whether you should try to fight back or escape. By the time click them all one at a time to check their gear, you're dead.
  • Options

It's cute you think I'm a PvE player. For the past few years, most of my time has been spent on Albion online, a hardcore full-loot PvP game where the bulk of combat takes place in the open world. I have never even played WoW. I'm not even sure what my post had to do with WoW. I advise you to take a deep breath and reflect the next time you want to make a personal attack against someone you know nothing about.

isnt that a top down mobile game -insert meme laugh-
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Because the gear of the people killing you decides whether you should try to fight back or escape. By the time click them all one at a time to check their gear, you're dead.
    TTK in Ashes will be longer than that so it won't be as impactful, but I definitely hope they make the icon visible w/o clicking on a person.
  • Options
    Steven acknowledged the importance, I'm inclined to see what he does with it.
    lj3aebfnp9r1.png
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 2022
    TTK in Ashes will be longer than that so it won't be as impactful, but I definitely hope they make the icon visible w/o clicking on a person.

Will it really? I'm ignorant on what Steven has said regarding this subject but as an Alpha 1 mage I could delete fighters and other mages in 15 seconds if I outplayed them. Less if I got the jump. Can only imagine this gets easier as my ability pool, stats, and gear increase.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Sigtyr wrote: »
    Will it really? I'm ignorant on what Steven has said regarding this subject but as an Alpha 1 mage I could delete fighters and other mages in 15 seconds if I outplayed them. Less if I got the jump. Can only imagine this gets easier as my ability pool, stats, and gear increase.
    The target rn is 30 secs to a min.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Time_to_kill

With party play, where most of the balancing will be concentrated, that'll be way more probably. Well, depending on how much mitigation/healing they'll have that would be able to counter 8 people all hitting one dude.
  • Options
    I understand AoC intends to cater to RP'ers, but for the sake of gameplay in an open PvP world, we need to see what gear people are wearing before a fight breaks out. I don't think it's viable to have to inspect each person we come across. Please add the option to disable cosmetics.

I am sorry but if I paid for my cosmetics I demand that you can't turn them off. I didn't buy them for myself, but to show others how much I am dedicated to Ashes, so no, this shouldn't be an option.
  • Options

This has to be a troll account, i no longer can take anything he says seriously.

I never troll, ive been influencing mmos for over 20 years.
  • Options

I never troll, ive been influencing mmos for over 20 years.

Well go ahead and influence pantheon online i hear its a great pve game lmao. 90% of people have no desire to play a mmorpg where combat is a statue. Its boring, doesn't look fun, i could go on lmao.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2022
    No. The gear people are wearing does not determine whether or not I should try to fight.
    First thing that determines whether I fight back is if I am in the mood for PvP combat.
    Second thing is whether or not I want my attacker to gain Corruption or whether I want half the normal death penalties.

Trying to assess who has the weakest gear is pointless if I'm fighting a group.
    And, if I'm fighting a group - it's probably just quicker for me to let them kill me.
    So, it all boils down to will I penalize with Corruption or go with half normal death penalties.

Gear assessment helps me decide the risk of initiating an attack.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    No. The gear people are wearing does not determine whether or not I should try to fight.
    First thing that determines whether I fight back is if I am in the mood for PvP combat.
    Second thing is whether or not I want my attacker to gain Corruption or whether I want half the normal death penalties.

Trying to assess who has the weakest gear is pointless if I'm fighting a group.
    And, if I'm fighting a group - it's probably just quicker for me to let them kill me.
    So, it all boils down to will I penalize with Corruption or go with half normal death penalties.

Gear assessment helps me decide the risk of initiating an attack.

I'd thought I'd never die (agree) side my side fighting with a pve player.

everything above but also.

Main thing id be watching out for is the level of the player until everyone is maxed out. Though im sure there will be that very rare piece of gear that is hard to get and you need to kill a strong boss. I'd still fight their ass though and if i die, then I die and i can better judge the situation after.
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited June 2022
    sternzy wrote: »
    Steven acknowledged the importance, I'm inclined to see what he does with it.

You're right, @sternzy.

I wonder how many times we have to post Steven quotes in the thread (about threat assessment icons) until the anti-cosmetics crowd stops replying ... ?

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I wonder how many times we have to post Steven quotes in the thread (about threat assessment icons) until the anti-cosmetics crowd stops replying ... ?
    Right up until they show how those icons will work. And if they stay "click to see" I'd still complain :)
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

I spilled my fucking drink reading this.... bro come on :D

img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Right up until they show how those icons will work. And if they stay "click to see" I'd still complain :)

Same. :)
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Appear weak when you are strong and strong when you are weak.
    Sun Tzu

Transmog and cosmetics are a big part of PvP. A big psychological part. I find the most interesting part of this thread how many people never think of subterfuge as part of PvP or are appalled that someone would dare to use it against them.
    First all classes have to be homogenized.
    Then gear has to be homogenized.
    And now the very idea of using any form of cosmetics will kill the game.
    Starting to think some "PvP" players aren't really PvP players at all.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    I think a better solution to hiding players' cosmetic skins might be an immersive and intuitive UI and HUD that gives the pertinent information a player needs.

I think a system like this would actually work more naturally and more fluidly than seeing a character and doing your best to judge their statistics simply off of the gear they appear to be wearing!
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Vaknar wrote: »
    I think a better solution to hiding players' cosmetic skins might be an immersive and intuitive UI and HUD that gives the pertinent information a player needs.

I think a system like this would actually work more naturally and more fluidly than seeing a character and doing your best to judge their statistics simply off of the gear they appear to be wearing!

I disagree. In PvP, you only have split seconds to react to an aggressor, especially if there's a group of them. By the time you look through UIs you'll be dead. We need to see what other people are wearing at a glance AND a UI that gives us more information when necessary. Albion Online does this perfectly. AoC can take a few hints from the best modern open world PvP game currently on the market.

Edit: Oops, I necro'd.