Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Corrupted State and how to hide it

124»

Comments

• Dygz wrote: »
    Green is not "protected". Green can be attacked at any time. That is not protection.
    Whatever else you may be trying to say - it's not protection.
    You seem to be saying that Purples can be killed without the penalty of Corruption. That is not the same thing as protection.
    Once again I had made the mistake of engaging in a conversation with you. You're so desperate to win the argument that you fall back to semantics.
    NiKr wrote: »
    hleV wrote: »
    Running around fighting random players is some of the most fun I've had in MMORPGs (RF Online - 3 factions, no unflag; WOTLK PvP server - 2 factions, no unflag; New World - 3 factions, can unflag), and I worry I'm not gonna be able to experience that in AoC if people who wish to partake in random OWPvP have to go through the hassle of hitting randoms to flag themselves up. You just won't know if they're PvPers or not until you hit them and they fight back, which, IMHO, is an issue for PvPers like myself.
    Funny how you've listed 3 faction-based games. I'd be interested in hearing how "fun" your victims found those games, and more specifically the times when they were murdered by the opposing faction with 0 punishment for their killers.
    I think you're confusing random ganking and oneshotting someone with actually engaging someone and having an actual fight.
    The whole point of the corruption system is to move all that "random" pvp into more meaningful and goal-based places/situations. Because in most cases, if you get randomly attacked while you're minding your own business, you probably didn't want to be attacked. Now Steven doesn't want to completely remove PKing, because he knows that sometimes you "just gotta", but random meaningless attacks (and especially kills) will be way rarer than in most faction-based mmos.
    The option to permaflag doesn't detract from that.
    The problem with togglable flag is that no one will use it.
    It's not a problem. Someone wishing to attract people for OWPvP will use it.
    If you want to pvp, there's gonna be several ways to do so against other people who want to pvp. Quite a lot of those people will be in the open world, but they'll be way more likely to fight back against you because they'd be participating in the same means of pvp as you.
    The option to permaflag on top of all this would be nice.
  • StreviStrevi Member
    edited September 2022
    The whole point of the corruption system is to move all that "random" pvp into more meaningful and goal-based places/situations. Because in most cases, if you get randomly attacked while you're minding your own business, you probably didn't want to be attacked. Now Steven doesn't want to completely remove PKing, because he knows that sometimes you "just gotta", but random meaningless attacks (and especially kills) will be way rarer than in most faction-based mmos.
    The option to permaflag doesn't detract from that.
    The problem with togglable flag is that no one will use it.
    It's not a problem. Someone wishing to attract people for OWPvP will use it.
    If you want to pvp, there's gonna be several ways to do so against other people who want to pvp. Quite a lot of those people will be in the open world, but they'll be way more likely to fight back against you because they'd be participating in the same means of pvp as you.
    The option to permaflag on top of all this would be nice.

I think a voluntary toggle flag would be bad because if would show the willingness to not fight if that is not set, even if the automatic toggle would happen when being hit.
    It is better to not know than knowing the stance of the player toward PvP, in that very moment.
    Also without a toggle, as it is now, a PvE-er will be aware that the attacker has no idea if he is more a PvP-er or a PvE-er. Putting everybody in the same basket is a psychological trick to invite for combat if a need for it exists.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • hleVhleV Member
    edited September 2022
    Strevi wrote: »

I think a voluntary toggle flag would be bad because if would show the willingness to not fight if that is not set, even if the automatic toggle would happen when being hit.
    It is better to not know than knowing the stance of the player toward PvP, in that very moment.
    Also without a toggle, as it is now, a PvE-er will be aware that the attacker has no idea if he is more a PvP-er or a PvE-er. Putting everybody in the same basket is a psychological trick to invite for combat if a need for it exists.
    Remember that the option to permaflag would be quite inconvenient, even for PvPers, so its usage would be minimal. Someone not permaflagged would not be an indicator that they're not a PvPer. I myself wouldn't be permaflagged 24/7.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Permaflag Combatant is not inconvenient since you receive half normal death penalties.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Abarat wrote: »
    I believe I remember hearing that fully 20% of dungeon and raid content will be instanced and therefore permanently PVP free... surely that qualifies as a zone by whatever definition you are using.
    Those dungeons are supposed to be non-repeatable. So out of hundreds, and potentially thousands, of hours of gameplay, you'd maybe spend a few dozen in instances. If that even.

I wouldn't get too attached to this notion

If you look over everything Intrepid have said on this, "not repeatable" could mean that you can only do it once, but it could also mean that you cant do it once, turn around and go right back in to do it again.

Keep on mind, Archeage is the most recent game Steven has played that is influencing Ashes. The above was how instances worked in that game.

There was one instance that a specific quest needed players to complete 100 times (bad game design already). People would do that in a weekend.

It is reasonable to assume that this is what Steven had in mind when saying instances wont be able to be repeated.
  • AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Dygz wrote: »
    Also, it's not necessarily PvP free, AFAIK. It's just not open world.

This was in regards to instanced dungeons. Can you clarify what you mean by not pvp free, just not open world?

You are afraid someone in your group will attack you?

You REALLY are afraid of PVP... hehe
  • hleVhleV Member
    edited September 2022
    Permaflag Combatant is not inconvenient since you receive half normal death penalties.
    This is how it works for purples in general, not just permaflagged purples. Having it permanent is a disadvantage for reasons I've described in earlier posts. You really can't accept this can you?
  • I see another Falador massacre in the making, and i love it xD
    x2i66qpsxhoo.png
    Drinking refreshing snowflakes tears
  • Cat QuiverCat Quiver Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dreik wrote: »
    I have came to conclusion beeing corrupted is a huge burden at the moment.
    Based on you combing the wiki up and down for a game that not even out with a system that hasn't even been tested yet? Corruption is almost guaranteed to change if Ashes ever comes out. But it won't be from the hundreds of threads/posters like this that have 0 idea of what they're talking about.

This was in regards to instanced dungeons. Can you clarify what you mean by not pvp free, just not open world?

The only thing instanced means is that it is not Open World. That is not the same thing as PvP-free.
    So...PvP-free is an unsubstanciated assumption.
    That's simple facts - not fear.
    This is how it works for purples in general, not just permaflagged purples. Having it permanent is a disadvantage for reasons I've described in earlier posts. You really can't accept this can you?
    I don't accept your claim. Because it's false.
    You can assert anything you like. Doesn't make it true.
    edited September 2022

The only thing instanced means is that it is not Open World. That is not the same thing as PvP-free.
    So...PvP-free is an unsubstanciated assumption.
    That's simple facts - not fear.

By the early 1960s we see the full phrase, just arguing semantics, being used to indicate that one is quibbling about something irrelevant or unknowable.

seriously, though... not open world means what? does that not mean it is instanced to your group/raid?

you think the differentiation between open world and instanced means what?
  • GetDatGreg wrote: »
    You gain corruption for committing an act of murder. There should be penalties, not rewards, for murdering someone. You should not be able to buy your way out of corruption.

It should have rewards for killing carebears, carebears ruin any game, you are saving the game by ganking everybody you can... this forces people to react and forces carebears to pay mercenaries or pay taxes to the superior players.

Playing a MMO like a solo players who is only here to be a gathered is moraly wrong and it's cheating.
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    GetDatGreg wrote: »
    You gain corruption for committing an act of murder. There should be penalties, not rewards, for murdering someone. You should not be able to buy your way out of corruption.

It should have rewards for killing carebears, carebears ruin any game, you are saving the game by ganking everybody you can... this forces people to react and forces carebears to pay mercenaries or pay taxes to the superior players.

Playing a MMO like a solo players who is only here to be a gathered is moraly wrong and it's cheating.

You are actually going full troll mode.
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »

Two day old account... basically making an argument so stupid no one would agree... so, essentially arguing against killing carebears.

Seems like it is likely an alt of someone against always flagged PVP to me.
  • I love pvp. In every mmo I've ever played, I played on a pvp server. But I can't understand why so many so called pvpers are terrified of the corruption system. For me, pvp is about the challenge that comes with fighting another player who can be far more skilled and challenging than a mob can be. Killing someone who is either too weak or unwilling to fight back is boring.

If you're such an amazing pvper, the corruption system shouldn't bother you, because the people who can pose a challenge, will. If you need to farm weak or unwilling targets, you're actually just a coward.