Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ashes Of Creation Content Release

NyceGamingNyceGaming Member
edited September 2023 in General Discussion
With soo much promised for ashes such as far as systems and content; How would you feel about some promised features not being available at launch, but added in future free base game updates. This is assuming it’s nothing major like naval content, an archetype, or nodes for example would be missing.
There’s obvious drawbacks to this as we’ve seen major developers neglect a game at release with a promise to fix it later (insert game example here). Games that just needed a little more time in the oven.
There’s also the consensus that so many of AOCs systems are interconnected and rely on one another by brilliant design.
However what if it was small systems such as combat pets as a rough example.
NOTE: This is not something I’m asking for or wanting, but felt it was a good topic of discussion as I feel that if AOC releases with even 75% of what it’s promised, it’ll be better than most (if not all) games on the market.
-Nyce

Comments

• Options
    Monster coin cause it feels like a gimmick.
  • Options
    Stock Market
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    Stock Exchange
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    as long as it has rogue i think ill be good if it releases without anything else
  • Options
    Hot take, but I don’t think we need naval combat at release. It should be one of the first expansions, but naval warfare will not be something new players will have the resources to really interact with.
    u5l8c6eyozf7.png
  • Options
    Imoxator wrote: »
    Hot take, but I don’t think we need naval combat at release. It should be one of the first expansions, but naval warfare will not be something new players will have the resources to really interact with.

Def hot take, a lot of thing technically aren't needed. Id rather say having it in is fine but improving it further after launch would be fine.

That way they can gain more information to adjust and test things to make the best experience they feel they can make, unless they don't feel it is as important.

Total removal would make ocean content a lot more boring and pointless. And make the world feel much smaller.
  • Options
    Agreed. Naval needs to be in the game. But if it came down to Ashes fully launching two months early without naval warfare or waiting an extra two months to have it be available at launch, I’d take the former over the latter.
    u5l8c6eyozf7.png
  • Options
    But naval will be tested in A2, so it’ll be available at launch regardless.
    u5l8c6eyozf7.png
  • Options
    Vyril wrote: »
    Stock Market
    Precise example I’ve used before. I know it’s a kickstarter goal, but seems like one of those things people wouldn’t get up in arms about if it’s not in alpha 2 or even at launch

• Options
    Talents wrote: »
    Stock Exchange
    Yea that’s one thing I don’t predict anyone complaining about missing at initial launch
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Monster coin cause it feels like a gimmick.
    I’m with you in this. I feel it’s cool personally, but I for one wouldn’t care if it took a while to implement. As long as we get npc hordes to attack nodes, I don’t care if players can control them or not
    Imoxator wrote: »
    Agreed. Naval needs to be in the game. But if it came down to Ashes fully launching two months early without naval warfare or waiting an extra two months to have it be available at launch, I’d take the former over the latter.
    Ok this I can agree with. I feel naval is vital , but if it was barebones then expanded on 2 months later we’ll be fine
  • Options
    I think if AoC would have just the bare minimum systems in place to function - it would be the best MMO on the marker for me. L2 had barely anything besides good core principles and it's a great game. AoC is way more ambitious with its systems than i could hope for. I would absolutely be ok with missing features.
  • Options
    The Ranger archetype. I’m not really interested in it and I don’t know anyone who wants it. Pretty useless class imo.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Honestly, simply the no p2w open world pvp has me sold. It's so simple to make a great mmo. All you need is a map which can be controlled by players and reasons to make the guilds fight.

I could even do without the ever changing world based on player choices.
  • Options
    Honestly, simply the no p2w open world pvp has me sold. It's so simple to make a great mmo. All you need is a map which can be controlled by players and reasons to make the guilds fight.

I could even do without the ever changing world based on player choices.

I liked new world too. Haha jk yeah I get what you’re saying. The fundamental game of ashes and it’s systems will be enough.
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The log out button. I don't see why I would need it.
  • Options
    There is nothing I would delay.
    Every feature may be important for someone.
    They already excluded hardcore PvE and PvPers with the PvX approach. At least the middle layer should have no reason to leave to another MMO.
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Raven016 wrote: »
    They already excluded hardcore PvE and PvPers with the PvX approach. At least the middle layer should have no reason to leave to another MMO.

Old full loot games had danger present in the open world.

This open world will be much more strategic and complex.
  • Options
    Solvryn wrote: »

Old full loot games had danger present in the open world.

This open world will be much more strategic and complex.

My official position didn't changed. They should not delay anything.
    But if you push me realy hard to sacrifice something to the Seven,
    I would drop these
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Arenas
    I was also considering
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Companion_app
    But that is already marked as likely to be delayed.

I would like to bring before release the
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Battle_maps

Battle maps allow players to strategize, gain bonuses on planned attacks, and see the blueprints of attackable points. Whether attacking a node or castle, players will be able to discern defenses, analyze possible weak points and gain tactical advantages before the battle begins.[1]
  • Options
    NyceGaming wrote: »
    With soo much promised for ashes such as far as systems and content; How would you feel about some promised features not being available at launch, but added in future free base game updates. This is assuming it’s nothing major like naval content, an archetype, or nodes for example would be missing.
    There’s obvious drawbacks to this as we’ve seen major developers neglect a game at release with a promise to fix it later (insert game example here). Games that just needed a little more time in the oven.
    There’s also the consensus that so many of AOCs systems are interconnected and rely on one another by brilliant design.
    However what if it was small systems such as combat pets as a rough example.
    NOTE: This is not something I’m asking for or wanting, but felt it was a good topic of discussion as I feel that if AOC releases with even 75% of what it’s promised, it’ll be better than most (if not all) games on the market.
    -Nyce

tbh kinda whats happening with alpha 2 :p and that gonna run basicly till game is finished :P
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    For me, Combat Pets are, in fact, the thing I'd be fine to do without.

Even if they were 'cheap' to make, conceptually, if they actually help at all, and aren't specifically a class feature, then I feel like they'd be among the most chaotic and troublesome contributors to balance issues, and take up a lot of time.

But I don't have a strong basis for this perception other than intuition and some experiences that I really don't think apply to this specific thing.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    The Ranger archetype. I’m not really interested in it and I don’t know anyone who wants it. Pretty useless class imo.
    Lol I can’t tell if you’re being serious
  • Options
    Jamation wrote: »
    The log out button. I don't see why I would need it.
    🔥 👏 AGREED
  • Options

But wouldn’t pvx be INCLUSIVE of both?
  • Options
    Lol I can’t tell if you’re being serious

Hah goteeeem
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I mean... "Naval Content" was a Kickstarter add-on.
    I think the way it's been implemented, Open Seas has to be available at launch.
    If Nodes are not avialable at launch - the game inherently fails.
  • Options
    Ashes isn’t beholden to a board. It will release with the systems and features that are ready when they decide they are ready for release.

I think Alpha 2 will be used to determine what is going to be in the release and what comes later. They’ve already indicated what won’t be in the Alpha 2 launch. Some of those things at Alpha 2 launch may not make it to release, and some things added in after Alpha 2 launch may. No way to predict what will be in or out at this point for release - except the no-brained features that make Ashes a viable MMORPG. Nodes is obviously one of those since it’s what separates Ashes from other games. But an Alpha is an Alpha for a reason. Just like a writer, you have to kill your darlings if they just don’t fit the story.
  • Options

No. When Steven was asked what AoC does to retain WoW and FFIV players, he said 'that's the rub' is a PvX game.

But that hardcore PvPers will not like PvX is my opinion. Maybe the deep ocean could offer something but is not the core game.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited September 2023
    im a hardcore pvper and i like pvx.

i guess there are different types of hardcore pvpers
  • Options

No. When Steven was asked what AoC does to retain WoW and FFIV players, he said 'that's the rub' is a PvX game.

But that hardcore PvPers will not like PvX is my opinion. Maybe the deep ocean could offer something but is not the core game.

This is something people try to say to push for more PvE and reduce pvp. Hardcore pvpers want pvx, and are not taken back by corruption and needing to guild dec for wars and more focused pvp.

This is what we prefer, unlimited pvp isn't what most people want as it brings issues. Every game has limits to control how much of it happens so you don't get a high lvl camping the starting area and killing everyone without limits.