Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Death Animation Feedback : Different States of Death

Gandryn_Gandryn_ Member
edited January 2 in General Discussion
Short and sweet feedback on the current state of the visuals surrounding death. We witnessed Steven go off on Keenan and murder him during the Ranger Showcase. Currently on death the player collapses into a burning pile of ash. Personally, I think this could be changed to provide better tactical feedback battlefield immersion.

I think that, when reaching zero HP, the player instead should collapse on the spot, leaving their body as it is completely visible on the ground. When the player is revived, such as through a Cleric's Resurrection spell, their body should burn brightly as they are raised back to life. If instead they opt to release back to a respawn point, then their body should burn up and leave behind a pile of smoldering ash. Naturally, this ash should despawn after some time.

This provides visual feedback for players in PvE and PvP to determine at a glance the value of raising a companion who has fallen - or guarding the body to prevent resurrection from an enemy raid. Having these variants of the death state also helps determine at a glance whether there are additional threats during a PvP battle. Are there healers lurking, waiting to revive this team so they can come back for a second attack? Is it worth sticking around the battlefield to make sure the battle is truly finished?

Subjectively, I just think it would look cooler. Having a body lay still, with ash particles slowly drift from their form - symbolic of their flame having burned out, in a sense - only to suddenly spark up with the flames of a phoenix and return to life once more is such a strong visual that ties in to the game's current themes of death and rebirth.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2
    I actually agree here. It will be confusing and difficult for a healer to spot dead players with piles of ashes laying around. Would prefer to see an actual body with an option to lay there and wait to be resurrected or simply teleport back to a respawn point and your body burns up. And if not resurrected within 2-3min your body would automatically burn up and be teleported to nearest respawn point.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    VoeltzVoeltz Member
    I agree that there should be clear unique visuals on the healer reviving someone and on the body for both PvE and PvP purposes. It's beneficial as a teammate, the ally being revived, and an enemy in PvP for counterplay opportunities. Not only that, the way this is described would look better. Building on this idea, they could also have a respawn animation of the player's body blowing away as ashes in the wind.
  • Options
    If I had to guess, I would say there could be some sort of indicator such as an illumination effect of the ash pile and/or extension of the ash pile specifically for clerics as I imagine they currently are the only combat resurrectionists. Will have to see what bards specifically get since they're a support class too. So far, only a single target resurrection ability. No indication on cool down yet. Could be allowed to click group/raid member to cast on too.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Resurrection

• Options
    if you are rezing a dead ally you would just select them on your party list not their actual ashes. Which than im sure would would get a little highlight circle indicating where it is so you can be at the correct close distance to bring them back. If they stick to having spells to bring people back.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    if your healer is looking at death animations/corpses and clicking them instead of looking at his UI, I'd suggest finding another healer
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    if your healer is looking at death animations/corpses and clicking them instead of looking at his UI, I'd suggest finding another healer

Assuming they are trying to resurrect someone not in group/raid if that is even allowed currently.
  • Options

Assuming they are trying to resurrect someone not in group/raid if that is even allowed currently.

Bad assumption.
  • Options
    While i am also all for it - meaning more different Animations of Death especially regarding to the way one died,

i am confident the current " becoming a smoldering Pile of Ash "-Animation we saw for Example in the Ranger-Update, when Sir Steven send his Colleague into the ingame Afterlife,

that is probably to "save(?) Data-Load/Burden(?)" and save Performance for when in for Example huge Mass Battles, Players die in droves.

-> Everyone becomes a small pile of smoldering Ash - similar like a Bonfire from DarkSouls (lol) ,

-> Meaning Everyone will not leave much Strain/Effort for the Game Technology to animate this, right ? Ergo, less Frames/Burdens to display it somewhat smoothly ingame.

I could be wrong, though. Maybe it doesn't make such a huge Difference.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    ThokanThokan Member

God forbid healers look at the game from time to time. A WoW-add-on raiding experience isnt something to strive for.
  • Options
    Thokan wrote: »

God forbid healers look at the game from time to time. A WoW-add-on raiding experience isnt something to strive for.

i think he means when resurrecting someone. its easier and faster to click on the party window than on the actual corpse (or select it with some shortcut)
  • Options

Healer that can only play the UI game are dead healers when it comes to PvP :p
  • Options
    edited January 5
    Veeshan wrote: »
    Healer that can only play the UI game are dead healers when it comes to PvP :p

reading department is lacking, my statement is about looking for death animations and clicking on player corpses to revive instead of using your UI for that... which is what a healer is supposed to do that's why the UI exists lol
    img]
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 5
    Depraved wrote: »
    i think he means when resurrecting someone. its easier and faster to click on the party window than on the actual corpse (or select it with some shortcut)
    Assuming the Healer only ever Resurrects people in their Party.
    I think Liniker is implying that the Healer isn't Healing well if there are death animations and corpses to Resurrect.
  • Options
    VoeltzVoeltz Member
    reading department is lacking, my statement is about looking for death animations and clicking on player corpses to revive instead of using your UI for that... which is what a healer is supposed to do that's why the UI exists lol
    You're missing the point entirely. Nobody is making this suggestion for the purpose of clicking on corpses and not using the UI.
  • Options
    Voeltz wrote: »
    You're missing the point entirely. Nobody is making this suggestion for the purpose of clicking on corpses and not using the UI.

If people don't want to use the ui as a healer to solve issues then i think they need to find other games than mmorpgs or not play healers.

Typical people trying to make a non issue a issue.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Assuming the Healer only ever Resurrects people in their Party.
    I think Liniker is implying that the Healer isn't Healing well if there are death animations and corpses to Resurrect.

wait what? O_O
  • Options
    edited January 5
    btw, I'm all in for a downed state like there is in GW2, I don't think thats currently the plan, but if that's implemented then ofc, people should have a downed animation, and when the timer runs out they would become ashes with their death animation, the question is if they will implement a downed state or not
    img]
  • Options
    ThokanThokan Member
    On another note, I always found resurrections spells in the form of AoE being rather nice. You dont have to click the body, you dont have to play by the UI.

All in all, greater visibility and ability to read whats going on is always better, no matter how you rez
  • Options
    On another note, I always found resurrections spells in the form of AoE being rather nice. You dont have to click the body, you dont have to play by the UI.

All in all, greater visibility and ability to read whats going on is always better, no matter how you rez

Having a dead icon on ui is pretty clear, same way with voice comm and seeing less people fighting things.

I'm not sure on this aoe rez this isn't overwatch, im not expecting rezes to be given out like candy this game has pvp after all. We aren't talking about a pve mmorpg.
  • Options
    ThokanThokan Member
    Mag7spy wrote: »

Having a dead icon on ui is pretty clear, same way with voice comm and seeing less people fighting things.

I'm not sure on this aoe rez this isn't overwatch, im not expecting rezes to be given out like candy this game has pvp after all. We aren't talking about a pve mmorpg.

You usually dont rez in combat state in most game. Its purely a QoL ordeal
  • Options
    btw, I'm all in for a downed state like there is in GW2, I don't think thats currently the plan, but if that's implemented then ofc, people should have a downed animation, and when the timer runs out they would become ashes with their death animation, the question is if they will implement a downed state or not

no.
  • Options

You usually dont rez in combat state in most game. Its purely a QoL ordeal

depends on the game ;3
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    It's exactly BECAUSE it's a pvp game that it should have aoe rez and semi-frequent solo rez. It's about outliving your enemy through any means necessary, and sometimes that's your entire guild being dead on the floor and then standing up because one of the clerics managed to pop off a guild rez.

Those types of turn-arounds (if successful of course) are the hypest moments in mass pvps. It's the pve's job to be a time-limited process where you have dev-enforced design limits.

PvP should be fun as fuck, and imo standing up and trying to get revenge right there and then is way more fun than lying dead or rezzing 10km from the fight and running back in hopes of getting there before your group wipes.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    It's exactly BECAUSE it's a pvp game that it should have aoe rez and semi-frequent solo rez. It's about outliving your enemy through any means necessary, and sometimes that's your entire guild being dead on the floor and then standing up because one of the clerics managed to pop off a guild rez.

Those types of turn-arounds (if successful of course) are the hypest moments in mass pvps. It's the pve's job to be a time-limited process where you have dev-enforced design limits.

PvP should be fun as fuck, and imo standing up and trying to get revenge right there and then is way more fun than lying dead or rezzing 10km from the fight and running back in hopes of getting there before your group wipes.

sure but also balance ;3
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    sure but also balance ;3
    No such thing exists in mmos :)
  • Options
    XDDDD
  • Options

That sounds like some of the worse mmo gameplay I've heard of in a long time lmao. In fact any game. There uis a reason full team mercy rex was nerfed, same with full team invincibly from omniknight in dota. This is how you not only destroy balance int he game but you create pvp metas where you only run certain classes.

Also pressing a rez button when a team loses a fight to rez everyone is not a hype moment that is just pressing one broken ability. It reduces actually hype moments a big plays since everyone can just be rezed.

Over healing, over healing from potions and constant rezes is how you dull gameplay down from meaningful conflict and strategies and turn it into everyone just being sponges that soak damage and ball vr ball meta is the singular only strategy.

Boring gameplay
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited January 5

That sounds like some of the worse mmo gameplay I've heard of in a long time lmao. In fact any game. There uis a reason full team mercy rex was nerfed, same with full team invincibly from omniknight in dota. This is how you not only destroy balance int he game but you create pvp metas where you only run certain classes.

Also pressing a rez button when a team loses a fight to rez everyone is not a hype moment that is just pressing one broken ability. It reduces actually hype moments a big plays since everyone can just be rezed.

Over healing, over healing from potions and constant rezes is how you dull gameplay down from meaningful conflict and strategies and turn it into everyone just being sponges that soak damage and ball vr ball meta is the singular only strategy.

Boring gameplay

its not as simple as that. ill explain later since its long and im working and gonna eat.

anyways inb4 nikr drops a video
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Mobas operate on a much smaller timescale from mmos. Also team sizes are nowhere near the same. And healers will already be meta lol. The game is built on the trinity. I'm not suggesting giving everyone a mass rez. Hell, I'm against anyone other than the healer having one. Non-healers should only be able to rez one person by using an item that has a long cast.
    It's about timing and organization of the rezzed group. Just standing up doesn't win the fight. You gotta all stand up at the same time, immediately assist-kill the right enemies, so that they don't nuke you down, you gotta time your rebuffs too (which depends on your previous coordination, cause people might've rezzed out of position).

Mass rez enables that interaction.

Boring gameplay
    How exactly do mas rezzes do that? Because it's the inability to come back into the fight that would lead to ball metas. Zerg just rushes in, overwhelms their enemies with huge dps and that's it.

With a mass rez the smaller group can stand up at the right moment and try to turn the fight through good coordination and target picking. Especially if the mass rez has a fairly limited range, because the zerg would be all over the place and wouldn't even be able to utilize it optimally.

A prolonged battle to the last bit of mana is way more interesting than a singular trade of blows and that's it.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    anyways inb4 nikr drops a video
    I wish it was as easy to find a proper video as it was back in the day. Finding deep references from glorious battles of the past is super difficult at this point. Probably because majority of pvp movie makers used copyrighted music and their vids either got fully blocked or maybe even removed.