Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Unpopular opinion : Zergs are necessary and Castle sieges should not be fair

Comments

• Options
    OtrOtr Member
    Maybe one day this guy will want to make a video about an AoC siege

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Otr wrote: »
    Maybe one day this guy will want to make a video about an AoC siege
    Oh shit, I'm hyped for his video on EVE stuff, if he's making one. I bet he'll talk about time dilation and shit. Noice
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    @Dripyula since you are the most reasonable one in this thread that has understood what I'm saying.

Heheheheh. :grin: Actually whenever Dripyula and i listen to your Concerns, we come to the same Conclusion. Apologies if i seem so dull and like i don't get anything of it.

I'm going to offer literal game proof what happens when you allow players to use zergs for content. There is no casuals coming together to have stopped this to the point it ruined the server and the pvp scene (though they are broken up now do to drama but this could happen on a much larger scale)

Hardcore guilds with tools to zerg servers and content ,t with people with the time and skill to do it. Casuals are not the zergs its hardcore guilds getting even more power and control.

https://www.reddit.com/r/throneandliberty/comments/18vcyut/kanon_and_his_onehp_guild_with_17_alliances_have/

So these "Hardcore Guilds" simply have the best Ability to band People together. I think i get it.

And then People are no longer motivated to try and stand up against a single, overwhelming Force. They don't try to "counter" this Force. They more like just go with the Flow, right ?

I can see where the Problem in this lies. If People will behave exactly the same in Ashes of Creation : a few Guilds will hold all the Power on a Server together.

Maybe we don't need my Idea and Suggestion for Server-Types then. But then a few People will hold all the Nodes with a few Elitist Guilds ... ... ... :D
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Jam21Jam21 Member
    Aszkalon wrote: »

So these "Hardcore Guilds" simply have the best Ability to band People together. I think i get it.

And then People are no longer motivated to try and stand up against a single, overwhelming Force. They don't try to "counter" this Force. They more like just go with the Flow, right ?

I can see where the Problem in this lies. If People will behave exactly the same in Ashes of Creation : a few Guilds will hold all the Power on a Server together.
    :D

It is like this, yes, but there are 2 things:

1) If there are at least 2 different "top" guilds on a server (like really different in organization, principles & having a lot of beef with each other), there will always be action for even smaller guilds, because in the shadow of bigwar a lot of things happen on a populated server....
    Trust me in games of old I've seen A LOT of scenarios where at some point because of various reasons "dominant" guilds collapsed and unlikely underdogs grabbed the remains.

2) The problem really can be if there is either one dominant guild (or 2, but they are only "mock/fake enemies" , while in fact their leaders and top officers are good friends and their goals in the game much aligned). Such situation is called "swamp" and is bad for server, yes - because they grab all goodies and smaller fish cannot even dream of competing with them.
    However, even in these cases this swamp is often drained...from the inside. There are always people inside the dominant guild who don't like the leadership or think they have been wronged or whatever...and when enough people think this way they strike out on their own,. Being well geared, experienced & organized on par with their former guildmates, and they often rely on support from smaller guilds as meatshield - everyone is interestred in the downfall of dominant scum....

3) BONUS: The most fun servers are of course those where are 3 different sides competing...if they all hate each other so much that 2 will never ally against the remaining 1, that is when the most fun & epic things happen.. But this is super rare - usually 2 eventually merge and ally against the remaining one & they form 2 sides eventually, even if participating guilds are more than 20.

I still remember the 600 vs 90 Coalition rush vs dominant guilds alliance on my old Lineage II server. Ascent across 12 floors of the Tower of Insolence, epic hours long fight on 13th floor....and in the end despite the dominant guild eventually won & got the contested epic boss, it was the beginning of their end. And server lived and was fun many years after their collapse.

If you never played old games like Lineage II(pre-GoD), DaOC, early BDO, ArcheAge (pre-2.0) or Age of Wulin - then you need to look no further than Albion Online (it is pretty active even nowadays) to see how this works.

• Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited April 13
    Jam21 wrote: »
    It is like this, yes, but there are 2 things:

1) If there are at least 2 different "top" guilds on a server (like really different in organization, principles & having a lot of beef with each other), there will always be action for even smaller guilds, because in the shadow of bigwar a lot of things happen on a populated server....
    Trust me in games of old I've seen A LOT of scenarios where at some point because of various reasons "dominant" guilds collapsed and unlikely underdogs grabbed the remains.

2) The problem really can be if there is either one dominant guild (or 2, but they are only "mock/fake enemies" , while in fact their leaders and top officers are good friends and their goals in the game much aligned). Such situation is called "swamp" and is bad for server, yes - because they grab all goodies and smaller fish cannot even dream of competing with them.
    However, even in these cases this swamp is often drained...from the inside. There are always people inside the dominant guild who don't like the leadership or think they have been wronged or whatever...and when enough people think this way they strike out on their own,. Being well geared, experienced & organized on par with their former guildmates, and they often rely on support from smaller guilds as meatshield - everyone is interestred in the downfall of dominant scum...

Some things stay eternal and current no matter what.

I know i am asking RRRRREEEEEAAAAAALLLLLYYYYYYY MUCH of the Developers when i ask this,

but wouldn't it be funny to hilarious,
    if for Example the Attack AND DEFENCE of a Node is "FORCEFULLY" switched to People of different Accounts every Week to a few Weeks or so,

So You have in Week 1 :
    -> Guild One of PSYCHO's who can fend off even the Gods (Pun, but i mean it)

Week 2 :
    -> People who can fend off #98% of ALL THE SERVER (overdone Example but please go with it)

Week 3 :
    -> People who have an "ACTUAL/REAL" Chance to get beaten by an Enemy Force on their own Node.

Ashes could have Systems that allow the TOP OF THE TOP of Psycho-Elitist Players to participate only One every Two Months.

Meaning if the Node gets overhwelmed in the Meantime,
    -> well then "TEEHEE" it just happened and the Supersaiya-Psycho's should just suck it up.

Please don't get me wrong. I was part of the Supersaiya-Psycho's for over +14 Years. This is why i know how shitty and boring and unfair this System is. x'D
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    NiKr wrote: »
    akabear wrote: »
    Actually, if Ashes does follow a similar castle mechanic as L2 as they appear to be doing, it might just be possible but rare for a small inconsequential guild to ninja in at the right time to take ownership during the siege.
    That small guild would have to somehow get into the siege though. Which, right now, I don't think they'll be able to do.

Isn`t the ability to enter a siege by signup in advance, in which case it is a first in first served basis?
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Isn`t the ability to enter a siege by signup in advance, in which case it is a first in first served basis?
    Yep. You gotta come to the castle and cast a sieging scroll. And there'll be a cap on siege members so the big guilds can just have their sub-guilds sign up first, while they PK any other scroll bearer. The member list gets filled and, supposedly, no one else will be able to attend the siege.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yep. You gotta come to the castle and cast a sieging scroll. And there'll be a cap on siege members so the big guilds can just have their sub-guilds sign up first, while they PK any other scroll bearer. The member list gets filled and, supposedly, no one else will be able to attend the siege.
    I guess two parts to this then.

A) A small guild or big guild will have equal chance IF the signup is limited to an individual guild leader only.. where as if I guess signup is by anyone within a guild on behalf of the guild, then numbers matter.

Then
    B) I guess, if the guild is a mega guild, it is a first in first served as the quantity of signups will be met.. however I still think that a mega guild will still be made of multiple guilds..

Might be a good question to pose for the monthly Q&A.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    A) A small guild or big guild will have equal chance IF the signup is limited to an individual guild leader only.. where as if I guess signup is by anyone within a guild on behalf of the guild, then numbers matter.
    This is already the case and is exactly why small guilds will never get into a siege.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Castle_sieges#Declaring_a_castle_siege
    The siege scroll deployment is a 5 min rooted cast that alerts the region at the cast initiation and names the caster that must be the guild leader.[42][43]
    B) I guess, if the guild is a mega guild, it is a first in first served as the quantity of signups will be met.. however I still think that a mega guild will still be made of multiple guilds..
    Multiple guilds may register to attack and the first to complete the scroll and lay down the declaration may begin to have their members register to attack (there will be a cap).[42]
  • Options

But how will that be enforced Engine-wise, if i may ask ?

Will there be a "Phasing", like in WoW ? Will there be an invisible Wall that prevents everyone else than the Attackers from coming close to the Node ?

Will the Attackers be the only Ones who can attack the Node Infrastructure,
    the Node-NPC's - and Node-Citizens/Players ?

And what should prevent any other Player nearby then from just running to the Node and start trying to steal, plunder and murder (lol) while the Node-Citizens and Node-NPC's are busy trying to fend off the Attackers ?
    Hence the Question with the invisible Wall and so on.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    But how will that be enforced Engine-wise, if i may ask ?
    Instances.
    Will there be a "Phasing", like in WoW ? Will there be an invisible Wall that prevents everyone else than the Attackers from coming close to the Node ?

Will the Attackers be the only Ones who can attack the Node Infrastructure,
    the Node-NPC's - and Node-Citizens/Players ?

And what should prevent any other Player nearby then from just running to the Node and start trying to steal, plunder and murder (lol) while the Node-Citizens and Node-NPC's are busy trying to fend off the Attackers ?
    Hence the Question with the invisible Wall and so on.
    I'm talking about castle sieges, not node sieges. There has been no word about node sieges being instanced.
  • Options
    I play solo PvP most of the time, but I totally agree that zergs should exist. Almost losing a battle just to get zerg reinforcements feels great for everybody involved, especially since there is no fast travel so timing is actually important. To me, this is part of organization and makes guild wars more interesting.
    For the empyre !!!
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    oOHadesOo wrote: »
    I play solo PvP most of the time, but I totally agree that zergs should exist. Almost losing a battle just to get zerg reinforcements feels great for everybody involved, especially since there is no fast travel so timing is actually important. To me, this is part of organization and makes guild wars more interesting.

I feel like you are not imagining something that is not going to happen game wise.

First off you mention "Feels great" for zerg reinforcements, as in feels great because you just win because you have a zerg? How about losing as zerg reinforcements coming to attack you as well on top of everyone else.

People make these points without saying anything to back it up even though the reality is you re asking to lose because you are just out numbered as a gameplay mechanic.

Next up "No fast travel" Why on earth do you think people are not going to be at a war because there is no fast travel??????

Like i feel people are looking at this from a casual perspective where they are hardly on the game and when they log on they can't make it to a fight. You know people can plan things ahead of time and make it wherever they need to go, the same way people are in discord chats planning things a hour before war with game plans.

If there is a war people need to go to they will make it there and spend time to get where they need to be.

Like to me this is just a naïve take trying to make a point people can't zerg because for some reason they won't plan ahead of time even though people do that in every other game?!?!?! This is the most easy part it just takes some time.

Though I'd rather make it easier for casuals to get where they want to get and not have "zerg" wars where you just out number people to win. Else you are advocating for hardcore guilds to have more advantage.
  • Options
    I'm talking about castle sieges, not node sieges. There has been no word about node sieges being instanced.

Oh. Apologies for thinking of Nodes all the Time and not really saying it right away. ^.^;"
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited April 18
    Zerging was so bad in T&L they are doing a change to make it GvG with limited numbers lmfao. Mind you this is the L2 successor, gamers have changed since those days. Ways to organize is too easy for players and just furthers the zerg issue of content.
  • Options

i still hate you hahahahaha
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited April 18
    Zerging was so bad in T&L they are doing a change to make it GvG with limited numbers lmfao. Mind you this is the L2 successor, gamers have changed since those days. Ways to organize is too easy for players and just furthers the zerg issue of content.

I have to say things were chaotic in this last test, but they felt better in the previous test and also in Korea.

if you are talking about the faction system coming up, I don't like it. you gonna end up with your friends in the other side of the conflict and you have to fight each other. also, cant do betrayals anymore :(

there were zergs in ragnarok and l2, but the PVP was different. people played in a party more. i suppose tnl players are players from bdo, gw2, eso and other solo mmorpg, so they arent used to true party gameplay.

nikr has posted videos of 1 party killing a guild in l2, that is possible in tl to an extent (you can beat the zergs), but it requires a different way of playing.

edit: a counter argument to zergs vs skills. for example in tnl, there are weapons who can beat you by doing this: 12345, that's it. so the skill factor is gone. you just faceroll your keyboard and get a kill, so if we gonna get rid of zergs in favor of skills, then every weapon should be very very complicated and hard to use, in favor of skill ;3
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Depraved wrote: »

Its not my fault I'm good at games lmao, i keep telling people.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member

I have to say things were chaotic in this last test, but they felt better in the previous test and also in Korea.

if you are talking about the faction system coming up, I don't like it. you gonna end up with your friends in the other side of the conflict and you have to fight each other. also, cant do betrayals anymore :(

there were zergs in ragnarok and l2, but the PVP was different. people played in a party more. i suppose tnl players are players from bdo, gw2, eso and other solo mmorpg, so they arent used to true party gameplay.

nikr has posted videos of 1 party killing a guild in l2, that is possible in tl to an extent (you can beat the zergs), but it requires a different way of playing.

edit: a counter argument to zergs vs skills. for example in tnl, there are weapons who can beat you by doing this: 12345, that's it. so the skill factor is gone. you just faceroll your keyboard and get a kill, so if we gonna get rid of zergs in favor of skills, then every weapon should be very very complicated and hard to use, in favor of skill ;3

ITs tab with limited mobility so its not highly skilled it is more about build factor.

I'm talking about for the boonstones or whatever where you need to dec and its one guild vrs one guild. So the better build will end up winning than zerging it down so one side doesn't have a chance.

You should have first had experience with zergs for sure and know there was no way we were winning :). To most people that is going to turn them off from doing that kind of content cause they can'[t win unless they get more numbers or join a bigger guild. Now with this change for the other type of content they can't automatically win just cause they have more numbers.
  • Options

ITs tab with limited mobility so its not highly skilled it is more about build factor.

I'm talking about for the boonstones or whatever where you need to dec and its one guild vrs one guild. So the better build will end up winning than zerging it down so one side doesn't have a chance.

You should have first had experience with zergs for sure and know there was no way we were winning :). To most people that is going to turn them off from doing that kind of content cause they can'[t win unless they get more numbers or join a bigger guild. Now with this change for the other type of content they can't automatically win just cause they have more numbers.

well, we will see how the faction update plays out, but for sure numbers will be more even.

regarding being outnumbered, our allies now were my enemies a while back and we beat them when they were more than us xD
  • Options

Its not my fault I'm good at games lmao, i keep telling people.

I DID SOMETHING DUMB AND ENDED UP RUNNING FOR 1 MINUTE WITHOUT KILLING MOBS HAHHAHAHA
    and I was doing the event with a support build ugh >_>
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Zerging is a feature in T&L.
    That's pretty much the entire point of that game.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited April 18
    Dygz wrote: »
    Zerging is a feature in T&L.
    That's pretty much the entire point of that game.

Zerg was ruining the pvp scene, devs are making things less zerg since it was a general issue for content by making some fights gvg. Instead of letting people bring like 300 people to win, they have to win with their own guild now alone.

Pretty much there was nothing you could do to win against numbers in the game. And from my own experience it feels really bad since u just get Cc'd forever until you die.

*edit when im talking about zerging I'm talking about mega alliance and winning fights by having much more numbers.

Ie100 vs 200
  • Options
    edited April 18
    Zerging is winning fights by bringing excessive numbers.

Again, that is pretty much the entire point of T&L.
    The devs just weren't prepared for the monster they created.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Zerging is winning fights by bringing excessive numbers.

Again, that is pretty much the entire point of T&L.
    The devs just weren't prepared for the monster they created.

That is why its good they are bringing it back will make it more competitive for more guilds, and the fight less of a mess. So me and some of my other members are happy about the change.
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited April 19
    So apparently the Number of People who can join in a " NODE Siege " as Defenders OR Attackers is not limited ... ...

... ... at least if i understood this right. Which i am not sure.
    All i have seen in the "Video Compilation of Points addressed in 2024" is, that the Siege will NOT START before a certain Number of Attackers are done being enrolled in the Scroll.

But People can join the Attackers if the Node they attack is not allied with them or their own.

People can not join the Defenders when their "Allies" attack the Node.

I think this is the correct Version.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    edited April 19
    I think the goal is for the number of participants to be unlimited.
    Has to be tested to see if the devs can achieve that goal.
  • Options

I am so bold and dare say,
    i think the upper Limit would be probably +750 to +750 People, up to +1000 People against +1000 People.

But who knows what for Miracles Unreal Engine Five can cast, actually. And also, one Day there may as well come Unreal Engine Six and be an even bigger Monster of Awesomeness.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member

I am so bold and dare say,
    i think the upper Limit would be probably +750 to +750 People, up to +1000 People against +1000 People.

But who knows what for Miracles Unreal Engine Five can cast, actually. And also, one Day there may as well come Unreal Engine Six and be an even bigger Monster of Awesomeness.

More players isn't always better, you will get to the point where you need to have different kinds of content for it to make sense.

IE world boss vrs 1000 people is a utter mess with no mechanics and no actual coordination is going to happen.

More numbers does not make a game better. 1000 people fighting in a tiny area would also feel like garbage.