Money spent on game already BY YOU!

NemesesNemeses Member
edited August 25 in General Discussion
Love to know what people have already spent on all these little things they keep releasing I get the feeling they making more money now, than a lot of released MMOs do.

So if its not to personal. drop a ball park figure! of what you have spent (added, not what's everyone has spent, what you personally have spent, thought that was clear, obviously not from the answers)

I would say if you not actually going to answer the question, don't post, but no chance of that, people love getting their 2 pennies in! ( no pun intended)

PLEASE READ & UNDERSTAND THE QUESTION BEFORE REPLYING
The Immortals
  • We Lived a Thousand Lives, United we Stand.
  • Recruitment

Comments

• nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    No one knows the real numbers but some people have have done things like look up the average rent where they are. Checking how many staff and cost for their roles. Some guess that Steven has spent about 40 mill and take in another 45 mill. But take all that with a large grain of salt. Most expensive MMO was KToR. At 200 mill. It you don't count SC.
  • Answer should be what you’ve put in compared to your perceived value. Put it into perspective. Need a baseline. I’d use the $15 per month ($180 per year) for that as a minimum expenditure for a released game like WoW. Using subscription model since it’s more comparable to AoC (no box price and not free to play). If you are spending more in the other games you play via their cash shop, then factor that too. I do not use the cash shop in other games, and I generally stay clear of pay-to-win games. Probably best to use yearly comparisons since AoC is years and years from launch.

I paid the $250 for the Voyager pack in July 2022. $90 of that is for future game time and $100 is credit (embers) for the shop which would count more like purchasing a gift certificate. $60 covers Alpha 2, Beta 1 and Beta 2. The Alpha 2 will be persistent starting in May 2025 and runs through launch. Overall I’ve predicted 10 years development (estimated that in 2021 based on seeing the Alpha 1 version of the game). That puts my prediction for Launch as 3Q 2031. The time between Alpha 1 and Alpha 2 makes me more confident in my original estimate.

If you were to consider the Alpha 2 to be a fraction of a released game, say 1/4th, then the value proposition for the cost of that would be $180/4 = $45 per year. So say we have 7 years to go from the start of persistent Alpha 2 (and I still see May 2025 as their target rather than a firm date, so we’ll be generous), then total value through launch is $315. So it’s $60 paid versus $315 value.

The other $190 has no difference in value other than the principle of time value of money (how much I could have earned on that $190 over 7 years) or the value of the game being zero because it fails to launch (which is the risk of a pre-order rather than a regular purchase). For me, the $100 embers is probably a loss or no real net benefit unless gifting embers is permissible. So I could deduct that from the $315 value, which would make it $215 net gain (benefit) over 7 years, or $30 and some change each year.

Also, value is subjective. I’m basing this on entertainment value versus my time and money. The monthly cost over seven years amounts to $3.75 per month for around 30-40 hours per month, more or less depending on available time and whether I am getting something out of the experience. The price of most other entertainment activities are significantly higher. AoC Alpha 2 would cost around 10 cents an hour for me (could cost a lot less for others who have more game time and don’t have other entertainment outlets). Now something could happen where the company shuts down or I totally lose interest in the game. Again, that’s the known risk of a pre-order of a game in this state of development. At the same time, if you view the value of Alpha 2 being more than 1/4th of a released game, then price to benefit becomes even more favorable.
  • nanfoodle wrote: »
    No one knows the real numbers but some people have have done things like look up the average rent where they are. Checking how many staff and cost for their roles. Some guess that Steven has spent about 40 mill and take in another 45 mill. But take all that with a large grain of salt. Most expensive MMO was KToR. At 200 mill. It you don't count SC.

Why do people always rush to talk nonsense, I did not ask for the overall figure, I asked what each person had spent, and that they do know!!!
    The Immortals
    • Recruitment
  • So can we take it that nanfoodle paid $0?

I believe EA spent around $500M to launch SWTOR, and that was around 15 years ago.
  • So can we take it that nanfoodle paid $0?

I believe EA spent around $500M to launch SWTOR, and that was around 15 years ago.

and?
    The Immortals
    • Recruitment
  • iccericcer Member
    $0

Which is not surprising, since I'm not going to spend more than $50 up front on a game anyways, especially if I don't even get to play it.

I also am probably not going to be able to play the game for another 4 years, or however long it takes for it to release, so I don't see any point in spending money. Sure, supporting development, and what not, but I simply don't have money to waste, and they've said they don't need the money.
    I'm also a huge opponent of pre-ordering games, because in most cases it's stupid to do so, unless you've already played a version of that game previously, and you know what to expect.

I also feel my experience might be "ruined" if I played the game in a half-finished state first, so I just want to go in when the game is actually somewhat finished (probably around closed/open beta).

• HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I spent $1000 USD on my package and purchased an extra $1600 worth of cosmetics through the years.

Release will basically be like one big gift to myself.

7bwh1huc0jn2.gif
    The world is beautiful whenever you're here. And all the emptiness inside disappears.
    xrds4ytk7z7j.gif
  • Nemeses wrote: »
    So can we take it that nanfoodle paid $0?

and?

Meaning most expensive MMO was a lot more than $200M. Not that Intrepid will get anywhere near that, as I think they might shutter if it’s getting over $100M from Steven’s pocket. I don’t think crowdsourcing can cover it, even if they go crazy in squeezing money from would be players with whatever schemes, real or imagined.
  • CawwCaww Member
    $475 US

and?

Meaning most expensive MMO was a lot more than $200M. Not that Intrepid will get anywhere near that, as I think they might shutter if it’s getting over $100M from Steven’s pocket. I don’t think crowdsourcing can cover it, even if they go crazy in squeezing money from would be players with whatever schemes, real or imagined.

Which still has absolutely nothing to do with the question.
    The Immortals
    • Recruitment
    Nemeses wrote: »

and?

Which still has absolutely nothing to do with the question.

So?
  • NemesesNemeses Member
    edited August 25
    Caww wrote: »
    $475 US

Crikey, that's a lot.
    if there are thousands like you out there, this game may never be released :D;)

Can I ask what on? I'm just curious now/ (are you married, does the wife know :open_mouth: )
    Should add I've spent £0
    The Immortals
    • Recruitment
    nanfoodle wrote: »

Why do people always rush to talk nonsense, I did not ask for the overall figure, I asked what each person had spent, and that they do know!!!

If your question was actually clear, people wouldn't be confused by it. Google translator is your best friend.
  • Caww wrote: »
    $475 US

When? Prior to Alpha 1 or after?

Question: How much more would you have spent if they were offering a full merch shop with tangible things like shirts, hats, sandals, etc?
  • A very cool $75 B)
  • CawwCaww Member
    $475 US

Crikey, that's a lot.
    if there are thousands like you out there, this game may never be released :D;)

Can I ask what on? I'm just curious now/ (are you married, does the wife know :open_mouth: )
    Should add I've spent £0

Wife will never find out! *fingers crossed* $375 package thing and misc. cosmetics that caught my eye
    $475 US

When? Prior to Alpha 1 or after?

Question: How much more would you have spent if they were offering a full merch shop with tangible things like shirts, hats, sandals, etc?

Joined and purchased after A1 and since I don't wear merch. of any kind or collect, I would not have purchased physical merch, just the occasional ingame items would be of interest.
  • Smaashley wrote: »

If your question was actually clear, people wouldn't be confused by it. Google translator is your best friend.

Well if its not clear enough to you, I would suspect the issue lays with you.
    ask mum to translate.
    The Immortals
    • Recruitment
  • NemesesNemeses Member
    edited August 25
    Hinotori wrote: »
    I spent $1000 USD on my package and purchased an extra $1600 worth of cosmetics through the years.

7bwh1huc0jn2.gif

Ouch, it should be illegal what these guys are doing, I know its your choice, but they definitely play the 'if you don't get it now, its gone forever' card.
    And its not that I'm tight for money I own a reasonably successful small company, (less so now after Brexit & Covid :neutral: ) but the money these guys are milking is crazy
    The Immortals
    • Recruitment
    Smaashley wrote: »

ask mum to translate.

Doesn't lay only with me when other people don't understand your question. I did understand your question, but the way it was sentenced, it can lead to misinterpretation. Don't be offended by that, simply make it more clear.
  • DodozDodoz Member
    $75 Wayfarer + $50 A2 upgrade = $125
    Only spent that much (ok, a good bit more) on a game twice before, and that was WoW subscription & Tibia premiums over a few years.

The cope is real... But nothing has thrown me off too much watching this game & studio develop, and it has been years since I've played an MMO (last was Guild Wars 2) so the withdrawals are there. Although being more mature now, I'm actually looking forward to legitimate testing and providing some feedback that hopefully won't go unheard. Goal is to find at least 3 glitches or some significant economical/trading imbalances.
  • Smaashley wrote: »
    Smaashley wrote: »

ask mum to translate.

Question was understood. So is the subtext and the agenda coming from the person asking the question who has stated they have zero trust in Steven and Intrepid (“these guys”). If I had zero trust in something I wouldn’t be wasting my time with it.
  • nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter

I spent $300 USD between my account and my wife's. My point with my first post is people seem to want to fund this game to completion as much as Steven. Sometimes game burn up and die. Ashes seems to keep rolling forward. Why stress that people want to support it?
  • nanfoodle wrote: »

I spent $300 USD between my account and my wife's. My point with my first post is people seem to want to fund this game to completion as much as Steven. Sometimes game burn up and die. Ashes seems to keep rolling forward. Why stress that people want to support it?

Pretty cool to have a spouse who will game with you.
  • LeonerdoLeonerdo Member
    edited August 25
    iccer wrote: »
    $0

Which is not surprising, since I'm not going to spend more than $50 up front on a game anyways, especially if I don't even get to play it.
    Hinotori wrote: »

Ah, the duality of gamers.

Personally, my case is strange... I have an A2 key from a giveaway, so technically $0. But uh, if I didn't have that, I would have had to seriously consider whether to buy an A2 key. Probably in phase 2 or 3, after I would have seen more gameplay. $100 still seems like a big up-front investment IMO. $250 was definitely out of my budget range, for context.

Essentially it's just a $100 bet that the game will be enjoyable enough to play "test" for 6+ months, but I think that's a fairly safe bet IF they meet expectations. That's a big "if" though.

But if you're really curious about Intrepid's bottom line, I think they basically admitted to getting 25+ million in pre-orders. 100,000 people are registered for A2, and those packages cost at least $250? Ah heck I'll just find the timestamp. Here.
  • TaerrikTaerrik Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Beyond just the A1 package, I've grabbed TONS of cosmetics, some of them I actually like, but otherwise I bought into it because I believe in a project for once. (a game made by gamers that dont answer to publisher demands). If I would've known the project existed during its kickstarter phase I probably wouldve hopped on then.

And no I'm not bothered by how long things are taking. All work takes some finite amount of time to complete.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited August 26
    Intrepid Pack + 1 cosmetic pack way back.
    Dont remember the amount but you get the picture.

Since 2015 when I play an mmo I might spend like 20 over a period of 6 months, but that was because the mmos did a poor job on their armor looks, whether on purpose or by total lack of taste in design. Mostly ESO and BDO.
    I dont mind it too much to spend such amounts here and there, because mmos studios fail to deliver a sense of visual progression. It is what it is in this day and age.
    Although a solid mmo could do away with any kind of shop and get paid solely on a subscription, box price AND compulsory expansion price if they focused on looks,stability, class/weapon representation, animation quality, engaging mechanics, and dial down on lifeskilling chores.
    Yes, people would subscribe if the game was fulfiling

Every mid to high end gear set looks like a chunk of "stronk", or they have neon light veins on them.
    No studio manages to create elegant armors, detailed in adornment that suggests that this character can affort better quality armor and weapons because of their status that the common soldier cant.

I always wonder at the idea of people buying cosmetics in solo games like Assassins Creed and such. With the exception of the viking game, the AC series had great designs and yet ppl would spend money on ridiculous cosmetics that look ugly and break the immersion on a game that's focused on bringing you to a realistic past.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited August 26
    It's not normal to want to buy access to test a game.
    You have to want to support the project. Big time.
    This is the only time that I cared to get involved in any product in development.

But some "testers" may 1) have lots of money and 2) not enough people around them, so they can part with their money in this very strange way.

It cannot be possible that you can prioritise donating thousands of dollars to a video game if both the 2 conditions mentioned above are not met.
  • There was a simple facebook game called Maffiawars, I was reading the forums there, some people spent as much as $5000 on it. Personally I would not spend a penny until it comes out seeing too many failed mmos that collected money than shot down.
  • tinukedatinukeda Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Spent $ on Kickstarter pack (see tag) and that's it.
  • 120usd (phase 1 A2 key) i bought it specifically to be apart of the testing phase though, as im in a situation where i can game 24 hours a day all week if i wanted to and i didnt need sleep. For phase 1 i will probably be testing for 30-36 hours of the weekend phase (depending on downtimes and obvious expected crashes) so i view it as getting my moneys worth.
    I get the feeling they making more money now, than a lot of released MMOs do.
    If i had the choice to buy cosmetics, i probably would lol. It isnt really a problem though if people do buy cosmetics in my opinion even if the game is still a while away from an actual full release its my money and its your money, i have no right to tell you what to do with your money and vice versa. All of us who have given any money already (from kickstarter through to the new keys, cosmetics etc etc) are taking a risk into whether the game will actually be worth it, as long as everyone understands that fact then there should be no issues.

Some say the goal to life is to make order of chaos, i believe we should embrace the chaos, let it nurture us into who we truly are.