Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Character Creation and class spec

This may be a long question but bare with me. One of the make it or break it things in a game for me is the uniqueness of character design and class when it comes to making my own character. When it comes to looks, I don't want to look like the very next mage 5 meters from me. Or let me put it like this, when I make a mage, I don't want to look like the next three mages out of 5 or 10. If out of 100 or even 1000 that would make a bold statement that you value uniqueness and have hundreds of different outfits. Part two to my question is class specking and builds. In a lot of games they give you a mage class, and within that class they let you spec in one of three categories: Fire, water, or Arcane; wow for example. Will you give the mage more than three specs to choose from to become a master in, for example, fire, water, wind, lighting, earth, shadow, arcane, ice, light, and same goes for other class. I get so tired of having the same generic three specs and they're 25 frost mages, 20 fire and 16 arcane, I want diversity not just with how I look but also with how I decide to build my character and which tree path (spec) I decide to go down. And When you do give us the categories to choose from will you let us become masters in that spec/field , will you let us have many different options that we can branch off into. So that if you give us 5 or however many choices to choose from within a mage class, If i pick a fire mage and there is another fire mage beside me we aren't the exact same , meaning yes you gave us different spec (fire, ice, shadow etc.) but did you give us different paths or diversity within that spec. So if they're are 20 fire mages we aren't all the same because some of us decided to branch off into fire throwing, while others decided to branch off into a fist fire master mage, and others decided to become a fire mage that focuses mainly on fire minions or fire in-casements of their enemy. Please intrepid studio put some uniqueness and in-depth thought into the direction you decide to go with character design/class because this is also a hit or miss when it comes to mmorpgs.

Comments

• Options
    Well... just for mages alone.

There'll be 8 secondary classes with their ability to augment the mage class. There will be racial augments to the skills as well, bring the combination up to 72 possible types of mage.

Further along, you'll get social progression, religious progressions etc. that'll once again give you even more possible combinations on your mage.  
  • Options
    To answer your question on character design @AngelicShiya
    • Classes are not locked to races, so you can choose any racial appearance that suits you, if that's your primary motivation.
    • Classes can wear any armor items and use any weapons they want, so your mage could be a sword swinging plate wearer if you so choose!
    • Ashes will also have skinning options to change your character's appearance. Only two Kickstarter exclusive skins have been announced so far, but the groundwork is there.
    • Also when your character becomes corrupt, this changes your appearance in-game (video link). 
  • Options
    Everything has already been said but here is more information :3 
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/33023/information-class-and-skills#latest
    i don't know if there will be different specs for mage because augments will already give a lot of diversity.
  • Options
    Is there any indication from them on how much of a boost racials are going to be. I remember them saying that racials would be something you need to think on when building your character. as lexmax said: 
    • Classes are not locked to races, so you can choose any racial appearance that suits you, if that's your primary motivation.
    • So would an elven mage have a significant advantage over a dwarven mage, or are those kind of racial traits going to be different along the lines of ultravison or such, rather than stat based?
  • Options
    The current ideas for class diversity shared by IS sounds good so far. I'm hope that the racial and the other progression augments will be significant enough to make a distinct difference in game play and not just some minor visual difference. If the scope is too big I will settle for visual differences though. o:)  
  • Options
    Is there any indication from them on how much of a boost racials are going to be. I remember them saying that racials would be something you need to think on when building your character. as lexmax said: 
    • So would an elven mage have a significant advantage over a dwarven mage, or are those kind of racial traits going to be different along the lines of ultravison or such, rather than stat based?
    There isn't anything in depth yet so for now we just need to sit and wait till more information pops up :) I don't think there is enough information to answer confidently if I'm  honest x.x
  • Options
    @UnknownSystemError I wish we had more information on this! I want to be an Elf Mage/Mage, so I'm nervous about the viability of this build.