Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What is your opinion on the add-on prices? (Poll)

Comments

• Options
    Seems excessive to me.
  • Options
    I understand not everyone is happy with the pricing for the add ons, or the complications with the website and store.  This is obviously a work in progress and I am watching the threads and discord to take in all the feedback that is being offered.  The prices for the add ons are directly taken from the pricing in the KS/summer packages themselves, and the 20% discount on these limited and exclusive items is given only to KS backers.  The add on prices had to be fair to both summer backers and KS backers. Meaning summer backers buying a 1k package, shouldnt see a $25 KS backer being able to buy all of their exclusives for $50. So that is why I decided to keep the add on values of these items equal to their values in their respective packages.  The summer campaign ends in 6 days, and I will keep the add ons available until I can finish the concepts for each item,  and then will announce a date the add ons will be removed, giving everyone from KS enough time to decide whether to purchase them. Please do not hesitate to continue giving feedback, good or bad, I value your thoughts. 3
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    The word mount is being thrown around a lot again, correct me if I'm wrong, but the summer items are just skins too.   So you would have to acquire a mount to be able to use the skin.  My way of comparison would be WoW, and I think their prices a relatively reasonable for mounts and pets.  Mounts are $25 and pets are $10 for the most part.  Mounts can be used by all characters and aren't a skin usable by one character at a time.  I would expect the skins to be cheaper because of this.  Housing can be bought in ESO to my understanding starting at around $30, and you're buying a house, not just a skin of a house.  Plus we haven't even seen a concept drawing of what these items are going to look like, they could just be re-skins of what we already have.  In that  case, the prices are even more outrageous.
  • Options
    It must be skins only for mounts, otherwise being able to buy an epic mount would be totally P2W. So $50 for a skin is just dirty, dirty greedy, insulting cash grabbing. Being that it would have to truly look epic for that cost I'm starting to worry...

...worried a little that unless I pay real cash my character is going to be walking around looking like some filthy peasant due to non cash shop gear all having the worst skins.
  • Options
    Really worried about these prices.. I understand they need to make more money to make game even better but not like this.
  • Options
    GMSteven said:
    I understand not everyone is happy with the pricing for the add ons, or the complications with the website and store.  This is obviously a work in progress and I am watching the threads and discord to take in all the feedback that is being offered.  The prices for the add ons are directly taken from the pricing in the KS/summer packages themselves, and the 20% discount on these limited and exclusive items is given only to KS backers.  The add on prices had to be fair to both summer backers and KS backers. Meaning summer backers buying a 1k package, shouldnt see a $25 KS backer being able to buy all of their exclusives for $50. So that is why I decided to keep the add on values of these items equal to their values in their respective packages.  The summer campaign ends in 6 days, and I will keep the add ons available until I can finish the concepts for each item,  and then will announce a date the add ons will be removed, giving everyone from KS enough time to decide whether to purchase them. Please do not hesitate to continue giving feedback, good or bad, I value your thoughts. 3
    Thanks for the response Steven, I know many of us appreciate it!
  • Options
    @Ekimmu
    Ashes of Creation Kickstarter Livestream May 26 mark 07:33 

STEVEN: We had a little bit of a question about mounts specifically in regard to the Kickstarter rewards: So the mounts are actually mounts. They have unique abilities - like cosmetic abilities for example. 
    ((Descriptions of the "mounts")) 
    The way we've done it is, we don't want to give you a single mount that's going to become obsolete through you breeding a new one through the animal husbandry system or coming across a better one later in the game. We want to be able to give you an item that we call a "skin" - although technically it's not really a skin - but it sort of is in the sense that... 
    You get to take that item, that Kickstarter reward, that Kickstarter mount, and you can apply the White Runic Steed item to a horse you earn in the game. And that will turn the appearance of that horse into the White Runic Steed with the abilities. And you keep the stats of "what that horse that you earned" had with just the appearance of the Kickstarter mount. 
    That sticks to our principals of no P2W and also allows that horse to stay with you throughout your progression of the game - if you want to apply it to different mounts. 

JEFFREY: Right. Ten years down the line, it's still going to be relevant

STEVEN: Exactly. And it's still going to be extremely unique.
  • Options
    @Ekimmu
    The devs consider the KS mounts to be mounts. Some players consider them to be skins.
    The label isn't as important as understanding the mechanics of those items.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @GMSteven

Steven,

At this point there may be nothing to do but I can appreciate you coming on here and giving hyour opinion. Might I give a suggestion for you to ponder and it may encourage people to upgrade. Your original thought on giving all Summer exclusives to Lifetime subscription KS backers got many of us hopes up. At this point it seems the Summer exclusives are going to be more rare then KS ones. Maybe think about giving all the KS items from the packages to Summer backers with the lifetime subscription and give all the KS backers with lifetime subscription the Summer exclusives. Then after the Summer backer period ends come up with your packages that will be available up to launch. This would encourage people to upgrade to the $500 plus packages. 

This is a way your core backers including those that did not get into KS because of credit card issues are all on equal footing. Just an idea, not sure if it is even a good one but something to think on maybe. 

Thank you you for your time and consideration. 
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @Dygz

Thanks for your clarification, that's exactly what I thought it was.  I would definitely call that a skin.  The reason I pointed it out is because the way people use that term doesn't usually coincide with IS's definition of a mount.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Interesting point that the Summer items will be more rare.
    Not only will the KS exclusives not actually be exclusive, but many of them will be less exclusive (rare) than the summer exclusives.
    Fascinating!!!
  • Options
    GMSteven said:
    You could just make it so you get a bigger discount for things in the pack you have and lower. If someone wants something from a pack that is higher you could charge the higher price. everyone already has to link their KS to the site so you have the info. at this point the summer sale items are going to be more rare than the KS backer items.
  • Options
    I'd prefer not having a shop at all. You shouldn't buy "skins", you should play for them, at least in a subscription-based game.
    Unless it's all just for kickstarter-backers, those getting a couple unique skins is fine with me as they finance the development of the game.
  • Options
    I would have, personally, preferred a system where I could pick up an addon that allowed me to get the summer exclusives for the backer tier I already paid for in Kickstarter.

Basically, if I bought a 500 dollar kickstarter package, I can now, if I want to, buy an addon for almost the same prize again, to get all of the exclusive skins, mounts, etc that a person that buys a summer package would have to pay 500 for.

The packages above 500 dollars don't really contain any cosmetics in the list of summer exclusive cosmetics.

but Stephen the thing is that that 500 dollars that the summer backer shells out also contains stuff like a lifetime sub, a reserved guild name, access to beta etc, which I also already paid 500 dollars for.

I mean sure there's a lot of cool stuff in that package that I would like, but let's be honest here, I got a lot more for the 500 dollars at kickstarter, and someone who picks up the 500 dollar package in the summer store is likely to do so at least partially to get that lifetime sub.

And like you pointed out, a kickstarter backer that shelled out 25 in the kickstarter campaign can now buy all the exclusive visual stuff for all the tiers in the summer campaign.

basically the way I have understood i working now (am I wrong?):
    A kickstarter backer pledged 25 dollars. He can now pick and choose any of the visual rewards for the summer backer tiers in the addon section in account. He can buy the 500 dollar summer exclusive royalty costume if he wants. He can now choose between upgrading his pledge to one where he gets more rewards such as game time, monster tokens etc, or to spend his money on in-game visuals from the summer exclusive add-ons.

The way I would have liked it to have worked:
    The kickstarter backer from the last example pledged 25 dollars. He can, in "account", choose to pick up an addon for a symbolic sum, that gives him the visuals that a summer backer pledging 25 dollars would get. If he wants more stuff, he can upgrade his pledge, and then buy the summer addon for that pledge as well to access the summer visuals along with his additional game time, monster tokens etc.

Or in my case, I already pledged 500 dollars, and would see an option in "account" to buy "summer braver of worlds addon" which gives me all the visuals a summer backer would get from "braver of worlds", for a sum a LOT less than 500 dollars since I am not recieving a second lifetime sub etc. If I wanted additional things beyond the braver of worlds tier, I would have to first upgrade my pledge as well and gain access to a new summer addon.

It is important for me to state that I don't care about exclusivity. The fact that someone who paid 25 dollars on kickstarter can pick up costumes from the summer braver of worlds package doesn't bother me because he got access to something that was "supposed to be exclusive". I just think that 1) you lose revenue when people can pick and choose that way and 2) for someone who previously pledged high sums, the addons are not fairly priced, and making someone with a budget of 500 dollars choose between upgrading their pledge or buying summer exclusive visuals isn't very fair either.

Please also consider that there are people out there who have very strong completionist/collector aspects to their personalities, such as certain people on the autism spectrum, who will have an incomplete collection because they are now basically asked to pay around 1000 dollars (up from 500 during the kickstarter campaign) to have access to the majority of cosmetics from these two campaigns together.
  • Options
    Duninn said:
    It's odd having a civilized conversation on a forum isn't it?
    Just be careful if you start talking to Ghandi...
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Prices are waaaaay too high. Not on add-ons only. I mean overall.

I mean -> for NOW I understand it and the prices can be like that right now, because kickstarter etc is for people who want to support development of the game. They can't promise too much perks now, beause they focus on developing the game.

But when the game is out if there are prices like that Im gonna be dissapointed.
    I mean, prices like that are in games that are NOT sub based. Then I can understand it, because they have to keep the game going with it. But in sub based game the prices should way lower. You're already paying 15$ a month.

But really 25-50$ for some skin? It's awfully lot in a country where average monthly sale is 600-700$.  I understand that for some rich countries its an OK price, but come on... 
    If skins are cheaper more people will buy them. More people will want to play and will be happy.
  • Options
    Sintu said:
    ...At this point it seems the Summer exclusives are going to be more rare then KS ones. ...give all the KS backers with lifetime subscription the Summer exclusives. 
    Sintu, you have won the Internet today.
  • Options
    MADE said:
    ...there was already 2 crowdfunding...

Normally a game shows something first...
    ...that starting to look more and more like a scam than a real attempt to a "great game"...
    As far as I know, this is the second crowdfunding.

They have numerous videos showing off different mechanics like the monster system, combat, and questing

I don't agree with the prices and I believe these prices are only for the second crowdfunding period. Hopefully when the game launches, they'll have reasonably priced items. Say, most things in the 5 and 10 dollar price range.
  • Options
    Would be interested in your reasoning @Tarlach
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Please also consider that there are people out there who have very strong completionist/collector aspects to their personalities, such as certain people on the autism spectrum, who will have an incomplete collection because they are now basically asked to pay around 1000 dollars (up from 500 during the kickstarter campaign) to have access to the majority of cosmetics from these two campaigns together. 
  • Options
    haki said:
    Really worried about these prices.. I understand they need to make more money to make game even better but not like this.
    Hmm. I would think smashing your Kickstarter goals + Steven's millions is plenty to get started with. Once the game subs start rolling in they will be laughing. Why cash shop at all....? 
  • Options
    Loyheta said:

would rather not have crap ton of the addons running around. Would rather only see a few times so that it is something special. Easiest way is through it being expensive, the prices right now are reasonable for what they are giving in my opinion. A higher price would throw more people off buying it then there already is making the item all the more rare which I would like.
  • Options
    Tarlach said:
    Loyheta said:

would rather not have crap ton of the addons running around. Would rather only see a few times so that it is something special. Easiest way is through it being expensive, the prices right now are reasonable for what they are giving in my opinion. A higher price would throw more people off buying it then there already is making the item all the more rare which I would like.
    Ah I gotcha. Making cash shop stuff more exclusive through artificial means. Makes sense. My only argument is that that doesn't belong in a sub-based game. Sub-based games, the elite items should be locked behind gameplay elements.
  • Options
    I abstain from voting, I think it is purely conjecture right now as to the true value of things.  Though, certainly there are the usual forces of supply and demand in play here.  I still think of it as part of a futures market at this stage.  

I think we will only know the true value of things once the game is released to the public.
  • Options
    I completely agree with the pricing,
    Why? Well look at the price of the packs those add-ons are originally part of. Now consider that anyone, even a 25$ KS backer can purchase those add-ons. How would it be fair to have the price any lower to those who bought the complete package on summer funding?
    Stop being greedy people and be happy that you even have the chance to buy the summer funding cosmetics separately like this.
    If you dont like the prices, then dont buy it, its a cosmetic item, your gaming world is not gonna end just because you dont have it.
  • Options
    Well they said they would make money from the cash shop + subs.
    Boy they werent joking.
    When you consider how much the box price of a complete off the shelf game is....
    #shockedatgreed
  • Options
    It's a rip-off, ok... but then again, this is all stuff we don't really need to play the game.

People who can afford it can choose to buy the addons to support game development and show something for it. The rest of us can still enjoy AoC and support it through other means, such as spreading the word.
  • Options
    It's a rip-off, ok... but then again, this is all stuff we don't really need to play the game.
    I'm lost, which costume is a rip off? What are you comparing your prices too?
  • Options
    edited July 2017

I'm one that doesn't mind supporting a game with cash shop related items (cosmetics). Knowing me I like to buy a lot of costumes, mounts, pets...etc. However if this will be compared to what the cash shop prices will be I think it is somewhat expensive. Remember we will be paying for a sub (the ones who couldn’t afford the Braver of Worlds pack) plus having to pay for example $37.50 for a racial costume, I think it's a bit too much. With that money I can buy like 2 shirts in real life LOL.

Some of the prices here are reasonable like the Hawk pet and some lower mount prices [$10-15], but there is a mount for $50 and a Freehold skin for $50  :/

Personally don't like paying for cosmetic without having a look of it available. Then only having this available only for a few days...me no like :|:(:s
    If this were to be available for a few weeks/months giving many the time to save up, then maybe, just maybe I wouldn't feel so unhappy about this.

• Options
    Kumary said:

I'm one that doesn't mind supporting a game with cash shop related items (cosmetics). Knowing me I like to buy a lot of costumes, mounts, pets...etc. However if this will be compared to what the cash shop prices will be I think it is somewhat expensive. Remember we will be paying for a sub (the ones who couldn’t afford the Braver of Worlds pack) plus having to pay for example $37.50 for a racial costume, I think it's a bit too much. With that money I can buy like 2 shirts in real life LOL.

I don't think the racial skins are what you think they are. They are not costumes, they completely change the physical appearance of your characters race along with having their own racial gear appearance. If anything, the racial skins are probably under priced.