Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What are you going to do about WOW

WOW is a game that has been around for a very long time. Believe it or not they are responsible for the industry collapsing on its self. Whenever a new game comes out that has good hype they squash it by releasing a new feature or a new expansion prior to the games release. What is AOC going to do to prevent this from happening?

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    They are going to rely on having a better product. WOW will always have its diehard supporters that will never leave no matter what shit they pull. But many of the supporters of AOC have had enough of the industry as a whole and are ready to support the next generation when done right. Doesn't matter what shiny new polish they put on the turd that is WOW for their next expansion, shouldn't impact their base at all.
  • say what you will about WoW. but they have damn good support. I'm biased because of neglect from Trion support for Archeage. WoW is a fun game worth jumping in to from time to time. if AoC wants to compete, then they have to make the game appeal to WoW's fanbase, this is not something most people here would want since it could compromise their core ideas about the game. 

I believe AoC will be strong and have it's own huge player base and live for a long long time.
  • Doesn't matter what shiny new polish they put on the turd that is WOW for their next expansion, shouldn't impact their base at all.
    Calling WoW a turd isn't right xD. I only keep that term for MMOs that are poorly done. WoW, weather you like it or not, has done many things right. In fact, it has done more correct things than wrong, which instantly elevates it above the turd level :D.
  • same thing I do with Tacobell O_O when something new comes out (lore) i get on it to keep up with the story then take a huge dump and hope I'll survive.

it burns sometimes~
  • WoW still exists?  
     If Ashes produces the game  they have planned on developing and have promised to the gamers,  they won't have anything to worry about from any game. especially one like WoW.  
  • I can see why this topic might come up, but honestly there hasn't been a single MMO since WoW that was good. They all had one new awesome feature, but overall was simply lacking or downright shit.
    So I hope that Ashes will be overall a good, hopefully even great game. As long as they manage that, there is nothing to worry about.
    WoW didn't kill a single game, the games fucked themselves over by wanting to have some of that mmo crowd without putting in the effort to make a good game.
  • The eventual WoW killer post.. Well Wow did a lot of great things nobody will argue with that. (well some might) But the Wow hay day has past for most of us here. That's why we are here. I can play more than one game at a time though. Most people I imagine can do this.

However

If a game like ESO can survive then AOC will have no problems.
    edited August 2017
    Why worry about WoW? I mean, let's break this down. First, there are some people who have a certain fondness and nostalgia for WoW-as-it-was. This means that folk like that -- like me -- will occasionally stumble back in to play it, but we never stay. Why? In my case, because once I hit the grind and the story content's gone, I'm done.

Then, you have the folk who're still there because they still love it, their guilds are there, so on and so forth. So for them, a new game isn't a big draw. They may come along for the ride, just to experience it, but short of convincing their (usually) large group of friends and compatriots to jump ship with them? They won't be coming along for the ride permanently.

Both groups are not going to be the ones who impact Ashes, either by jumping on board, or by abandoning ship. The ones who will impact Ashes are those of us who're here, now, so early in the process, anxiously awaiting all the promise that Ashes has in store. 

I'm not seeing the connection, a'tall.
  • The first time I played WoW was this year thinking "I should see what an MMO is about before jumping in with IS."

I was disappointed, and after 3 hours I was done. I then tried ArcheAge and was able to keep with that for several hours. However, once I realized I was on a linear path to level grind before, as my friend said, I could start the main game I was done.

I can not imagine I am the only one out there that is looking forward to Ashes being a more traditional RPG built into an MMO. For that crowd, what WoW releases between now and whenever won't matter.
  • WoW is not really the same type of game, not anymore. Community is dead, everything is soloable, in the sense that you press a queue, and kill stuff with people you've never, met, and probably will never meet again. The world is static, and sharded. Wow, tries to cater to too broad an audience, there is instant gratification around every corner, and nothing takes a time investment anymore. Everything, is easier, except, arguably raid and dungeon mechanics. They are more complex, but not harder per-say. 
    edited February 2018
    I couldn't even get past an hour while playing WoW - it bored me too much. The only thing i liked was the Open-World Feel. 

Basically though, I've played & seen enough Games to know ... " what its worth. "
    ( *queue background song*  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bl-vbBnJ3I )

For Example
    • If a " New MMO " only shows Cinematics, then it's not worth much

The only reason why WoW does any good is because the " New MMOs " doesn't know how to stand-on-its-own without being a " WoW Clone ". Admittedly, i was kinda worried for this MMO because even the Classes are similar to WoW. but as development continued, and more info was released, that opinion changed.

In short, even if Ashes fail, even if its Half of what they promising due to having " too much ambition " ... I'd be better than the " Micro-transactions horse-sh!t " currently on the market.

Besides, they're others Upcoming MMOs like Pantheon - which have a similar background - but despite this, i slightly favor Ashes of Creation .

Lastly, the only current MMO to potentially overcome WoW is SWTOR.

( In short, they have a well-established (Legends) Lore, Many potential Species to add as Playable Characters, Many " Planets " to add ( they don't feel like planets ) ... but Money-Greedy EA is their Problem. Despite this, still the most potential - they need to re-work their planets ... and much more >.< )

( R.I.P. nvm ... F!ck EA :/ )

• Eragale said:

SWTOR flopped in 6 months because it had no end game content. There are still 12 million subscribers to WOW.
    edited August 2017
    Swtor flopped because they spent too much money on development. The individual storylines is what was promised, then they screwed the pooch and decided to go with a single storyline for each faction. That is when I and many others left. Blizzard doesn't release sub numbers anymore, but anecdotal evidence from my groups is that it is much smaller than you think, and like the article linked below states, nowhere near what the "community" thinks. I personally joined wow just after BC, played religiously till about halfway through firelands, totally skipped the Pandapocalyse, went back for couple months at Cataclysm, stopped, went back for two months at WOD, stopped, went back for one month of Legion a couple months after it had dropped, and quit. So while they benefit from upticks from expansion releases, very few of them become paying players. Since the introduction of WOW tokens I may have bought the expansions giving them some scratch, but they haven't gotten another dime outta me for sub fees, and with the gold I have hoarded, never will. Will Ashes have a similar effect? I doubt it, as long as what has been promised so far is met. But we all have been burned over and over by the big boys, lets see if a small indie can keep their promises and do it right.
    https://www.polygon.com/2016/10/4/13167592/world-of-warcraft-legion-subscriber-numbers-10-million
  • I personally lost faith in WoW during WoTLK. I have played WoW pretty much since release,  however due to the amount of friends/guildies still playing, I stay involved for that reason.
    WoW also had previous gaming history which I also played from release, back in the days of the RTS Warcraft. I believe this gave them more of an edge helping build a gaming foundation, players of WoW had more insight to storyline and lore and seeing it unfold before you in a massive world environment was amazing. MMOs today don't usually have that background, besides Starwars obviously, which probably has too much background/expectation to live up to. The better Starwars games I've played are the hack n slash, cut you up with my saber and force push your body parts everywhere, kind of game, it makes me feel more immersed in the world of Starwars than a MMO could.
    Over the years you notice all the new techniques WoW has adopted from other games and tried to bring EVERYTHING to the table to cater to the various types of gamers. I believe one of the things that hurt them the most as a traditional MMO is that they catered too much to the lesser skilled/time sensitive gamer. Nothing wrong with being more casual, but I like to feel a sense of accomplishment when I progress through a game as well as comradery, working as a team or guild to build up a tanks fire resistance gear so we can go and kill a dragon and get phat loot etc. A long series of quest and dungeons to get a key/attunement to a new dungeon/raid or loot. All of these things have disappeared from WoW as well as what I call true boss mechanics. Most of what I see now is, avoid this, heal through the damage, repeat. I've spent months offline, come back, joined a guild raid on a progression boss, didn't look at any video guides or know any mechanics, just picked it up on the fly and bested most others familiar with the fight. I am a good gamer, but that's ridiculous to me and gives me no satisfaction. WoW is now just recycled content with a new skin.
    Our peeps at Intrepid will need to find the right level of challenge to keep people interested, too much of a grindfest, 3 months in numbers will drop, not enough endgame content, numbers drop. Too much PvE dependancy and not enough content for PvP or vice versa, same deal. I'm certain plenty of research is going into this MMO, there are plenty of games and forums with people expressing their dislike of certain content, to pool together the better aspects of them all.
    As a long term gamer, I played on the console that started it all, PONG, I believe Intrepid is moving in the right direction and won't need to worry about what WoW is doing, they may steal the node idea....
  • cflournoy said:
    Eragale said:

SWTOR flopped in 6 months because it had no end game content. There are still 12 million subscribers to WOW.
    Eh End game does not make the game, though. There is plenty of content in SWTOR and they did a pretty darn good job with the storytelling side of things. Admittedly, it does often feel more like a solo MMO nowadays but I think that's becoming a bit of the norm for games that perform like they do.

Overall SWTOR has a pretty decent f2p model and does have a lot of content that might not be considered "end game" but is still fun and engaging. Definitely one of the top 5 MMO's still around (if you want to add top 5 f2p qualifier then that's also understandable). It's right up there with ESO in my book.
  • They don't need to worry about competing with wow or anyone... they just need to focus on making a great game, if the game is good then they are competitive if not then even if there wasn't a wow then they'll still fail... make a product because there is a need not to be competitive
  • sry but the Swtor f2p model is the worst one i have ever seen ( excluding those p2w ones).
    And about WoW, if it would be a new released Game it would be dead after a couple of months too.
    WoW had just the perfect moment when it got released.
    its the same with all those new mobas coming out, they cant beat Dota or LoL.
    edited August 2017
    " ...  lets see if a small indie can keep their promises and do it right."
    That's the most interesting thing - the company is new, but the Devs are  not
    ( most of them are Veterans  ) 
    Vanda said:
    " ... WoW also had previous gaming history which I also played from release, back in the days of the RTS Warcraft. I believe this gave them more of an edge helping build a gaming foundation, players of WoW had more insight to storyline and lore and seeing it unfold before you in a massive world environment was amazing. MMOs today don't usually have that background, besides Starwars obviously, which probably has too much background/expectation to live up to. 
    exactly my point (bolded)

@Nevermuse I think he was referring to when it was first released - before the other Expansions. But true enough,  the term " End Game " shouldn't exist xD
  • " ...  lets see if a small indie can keep their promises and do it right."
    That's the most interesting thing - the company is new, but the Devs are  not
    ( most of them are Veterans  ) 

Guess I could have been clearer. Lets see if a small indie company owned by Steven who has no MMO gaming development experience beyond hiring others that do, can stay the course. It is always easy to look at something already done and say "If it was me I would never do that." without seeing how the sausage is made.
  • What am I personally going to do about WOW? Hmmmm .. same as I have all these years, not play it =P

I think that AoC will hold its own and excel in many areas that WOW has not, will not or maybe could not. It will gain a market hold and with continued development and grow, hopefully become one of the greats =)

• Games that fail tend to be similar to WoW in many respects. Because why play an inferior knock off when you can have the real thing?
  • Azurl said:
    say what you will about WoW. but they have damn good support. I'm biased because of neglect from Trion support for Archeage. WoW is a fun game worth jumping in to from time to time. if AoC wants to compete, then they have to make the game appeal to WoW's fanbase, this is not something most people here would want since it could compromise their core ideas about the game. 

I believe AoC will be strong and have it's own huge player base and live for a long long time.
    The problem with WOW is every expansion it became easier and easier with way too much to do. I would stay away from it for a year or so come back and any new player could get a boost to catch up to players that are dedicated.

Have you ever heard of Asherons Call? Let me tell you what made this game epic.
    1. The Monarch / Patron system. (referred to the guild or clan in other games) It was based on a pyramid system. Every person that swore allegiance to you (a vassal) share a certain amount of their experience when they played. This encourage the Patron to help their vassals. 
    2. The skill tree was and is totally broken down to over 50 abilities. some examples running, jumping, strength, hit points , mana and so forth. You assigned your experienced earned.
  • WOW has become very stale to a lot of people, im guessing they will be bringing in legacy servers next to hopefully bring back their old customer base soon enough, but for me i wont go back for that, once AOC releases ill be jumping ship from wow, just nothing out on the market really is fun at the moment for me so wow is my time consumer.
  • Ashes is kind of the anti WOW. It is not a theme park it is not a equipment grind. it is not faction based etc.  So I guess all Ashes has to do to deflect the WOW effect is to continue not being like WOW.
  • hahaha
    I'm gonna do the same thing with WoW that I've done for the past 4 years: Not play it!!
    lmao
  • Dygz said:
    hahaha
    I'm gonna do the same thing with WoW that I've done for the past 4 years: Not play it!!
    lmao
    i just get so bored with wow, i play it then leave, come back for new content, play for a month and leave, just want something thatll make me stick around, praying for AOC to be epic
  • They shouldn't do anything about WoW. If they'd do it they'd lose. At this point AoC caters to a very different audience. A smaller but very loyal playerbase. If they sell their soul and try to make AoC more "mainstream" they'd lose that playerbase and WoW will simply crush anything that's left.
    Currently I see many oldschool MMO players here, people who loved vanilla WoW but also were around even before that and played stuff like DAoC or EQ. It may be a relatively small community but it'll be around for decades if IS doesn't fuck up.
  • And here's what we can all expect to see from WOW, when AoC gets released...

• The market for WoW and the market for Ashes aren't exactly the same, casuals for one won't come near ashes when they hear they can't have everything in the game in 1 week.
    edited August 2017
    WoW was a great in its day and in some ways still is. The fact of the matter is its changed from original release and has slowly become a casuals game. Now I'm not saying that is a bad thing but its not what a lot of the people who played it at launch are looking for. Archeage is the closest I've seen to a great MMO in recent years but poor handling by Trion and a pay to win market destroyed any chances it had. AoC won't kill WoW. But it will give a home to those of us looking for a more in depth experience.