Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Open World Dungeons

Are you for, or against open world dungeons, why?

I myself and all for open world dungeons, the fact that PVP will happen among warring guilds and cities to stop progression of another will make for even more large scale pvp battles!

Comments

• I have mixed feelings about this.

In general, I would prefer dungeons to be instanced, but I wouldn't mind the final boss room to be open world, eg. when you complete the dungeon you get access to the boss room in which a world boss spawns. I've seen this in another game and this is a fun mechanic, waiting in the boss room and PvPing until the boss spawns.
  • FliP said:
    I have mixed feelings about this.

In general, I would prefer dungeons to be instanced, but I wouldn't mind the final boss room to be open world, eg. when you complete the dungeon you get access to the boss room in which a world boss spawns. I've seen this in another game and this is a fun mechanic, waiting in the boss room and PvPing until the boss spawns.
    interesting concept, sounds fun!
  • Guess you will get both experiences since instanced and open world dungeons are both confirmed. Also partially procedural based and set pieces. Something for everyone.
  • @rhuidan why are you against open world dungeons?
  • Guess you will get both experiences since instanced and open world dungeons are both confirmed. Also partially procedural based and set pieces. Something for everyone.
    I think that mix of instanced and open world is the best solution. Even open world dungeons and raids are nice and i personally like those a little bit more than instanced ones, i also know how frustrated it can be when all the mobs and bosses are constantly cleared. It easily leads to situation where lots of players are left outside of dungeon/raid content and i cant see that a good solution. Its also nice to have different kind of environment, where in open world you rush forward to beat other parties and maybe even encounter them and in instanced one you can take it more chill and focus more to boss tactics and such things. ;)
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    I like the idea of open world dungeon and instance dungeons.
    If it could be like both where the party leader chooses either party explore the dungeon or complete it.
  • I'm for open world dungeons and also for instanced dungeons.  Some of both would be nice.
  • Crymoar said:
    I'm for open world dungeons and also for instanced dungeons.  Some of both would be nice.
    This.

Also we should have dungeons with dragons in them. Sounds like it has a ring to it. 
  • I'm all for variety.  
  • Then enjoy some Japanese variety show.
    Image result for japanese variety show gif
    edited August 2017
    OMG, those shows are cruel.  Injurying people has never been funny to me.
  • Culturally Japan is still at the slapstick level of comedy, while the West has shifted to more oratory stand-up. 10 minutes of two guys slapping each other on the back the head is high comedy here. And poking people in the butt is the pinnacle.
  • yes to open world dungeons. There will be both instanced and open in Ashes and I enjoy both. I first tried open world in Aion. It kept the dungeon area in seperate phases so if it was cleared in one phase you could switch to another and try your luck there. Only problem with it was ppl went through all the phases once reaching a boss, so bosses were dead in all 6 versions of the phasing... 
  • I would be for open world dungeons only IF:

- anyone in said dungeon is automatically flagged purple as soon as he enters, and remains purple until he exits the dungeon area
    - bosses still have complex mechanics (dungeons not being only a simple cave with few high HP monsters without any mechanics)

If these 2 conditions will not be true, then I am against "such" open world dungeons
  • Since, as UnknownSystemError pointed out, both instance and open dungeons are going to happen, I guess it doesn't matter what I want. In EQII, I found instanced dungeons annoying, though. People camping bosses for days (slight exaggeration maybe), stealing mobs you've been waiting for an hour to spawn, that sort of thing.

Not sure how it will work in AoC, of course. Might be quite different. What about PvP? Would that still happen in open dungeons, because that would make it really interesting.

• dabudo said:

What about PvP? Would that still happen in open dungeons, because that would make it really interesting.

If they make people auto flagged while in this dungeon, or make dungeon mechanics follow siege / caravan principles, then PvP will happen.

If not most people will just go inside green, and PvP will be pointless, and whole open world dungeon would become pointless.
  • We know certain areas will flag you for pvp. Caravans confirmed. The nodes controlled by a castle. So far nothing has been mentioned about flagging in open world dungeons, but that doesn't mean it won't happen, just that they haven't bothered to mention it yet.
    One of the things sent up the communication chain was a request for the developers to state definitively positions on the most contentious issues plaguing Discord and Forums. Hopefully we will see concrete answers about what they have planned and what they are willing to change and not willing to change.
  • i personally hope that pvp flagging will be happening to players not grouped with you when entering a open world dungeon or raid.
  • xschlemmx said:
    i personally hope that pvp flagging will be happening to players not grouped with you when entering a open world dungeon or raid.
    Depends on how much boss griefing is possible. In SWTOR a few years back there was a timed spawn boss on Voss that was open world. It took very specific tank timing to control for a group to down it before a raid wipe. If other groups were waiting on their people to arrive at the boss and another group decided to pull, they would just send a tank in to pull the boss off of the other raid causing a wipe. Ended up with lots of bad feelings all round, salty, salty tears, and them having to make the boss instanced to stop the griefing. Was a fair few years back, but I remember some bans/suspensions were even handed out.
    On the flagged side, you would have the opposite faction waiting to do the same thing. As soon as the Imp raid pulled, the Pub raid would swoop bike in and start killing off the healers from range. Good times all round, unless you were the ones getting sniped.
  • @UnknownSystemError I was part of sniping parties, was imperial on prophecy of the five server. SWTOR world boss fiasco boy that was always fun. Keeping those Jedi from accomplishing anything and never received a ban. Our argument was "pvp happened on a pvp server". 
  • UnknownSystemError said:

Depends on how much boss griefing is possible. 
    If you don't want someone attacking you while attacking bosses then you go to instanced dungeon.

Open world dungeon should mean that other players have legitimacy to attack you while trying to claim boss (that is contested) for themselves.

This means open world dungeon should be area that auto flags you.
  • I'm firmly for all open world dungeons.  I feel the disdain for open world comes from community issues.  You will always have someone who is going to be selfish, greedy or childish. IE: Training, attempted kill stealing ect -  When you force the player base to operate under a pretext that we are all in this together, some of that tends to dwindle a bit and the bad actors tend to dig their own graves socially.  I always enjoyed popping into a zone in EQ and calling camp check to see what was open.  If this is going to be a largely player driven game I feel keeping the world open, including dungeons, is part of that.
  • If done well I firmly believe this can be a system that allows for not only great PvE but also PvP content. Lets see how it plays out and look forward to the best =)
  • In the early days of Rift, I really liked the open world rifts. I hope something like that would be in ashes!
  • Both, like you dont want to get grieved while doing a dungeon for a long time with your friends and then suddenly a guild walks in, kills you and finishes the boss.
    edited August 2017
    Open world dungeons are needed (imo), a lack of this would kill the immersion for me. Open dungeons would increase the sense of risk vs reward.
    But I do see the issues with them being open, high lvls farming them being the main.
    But the PvP would be epic, even if you lose :D
  • Open world dungeons bring much more depth to what you have to consider while going through them. You will have to watch out for other players along with monsters, and it could also be a nice way to keep goodies for yourself if you keep it a secret.
  • Open world dungeons bring much more depth to what you have to consider while going through them. You will have to watch out for other players along with monsters, and it could also be a nice way to keep goodies for yourself if you keep it a secret.
    I hope open world dungeon locations are not told, but that we as a community have to find them and then ultimately decide who knows about them, makes things more valuable and chaotic at the same time.
  • xschlemmx said:
    Open world dungeons bring much more depth to what you have to consider while going through them. You will have to watch out for other players along with monsters, and it could also be a nice way to keep goodies for yourself if you keep it a secret.
    I hope open world dungeon locations are not told, but that we as a community have to find them and then ultimately decide who knows about them, makes things more valuable and chaotic at the same time.
    Well i guess this will also happen just because of that evolving and changing node system. New nodes, node levels and seasons opens new content constantly. And when environment changes we will need to start exploring it again. :)
  • conflict, maybe it will be in a pvp zone?