Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[WWYD] Ganking a Player...

Comments

• Options
    Nosreme wrote: »
    I hope the game doesnt have open world free ganking. The vast majority of players dont want this. If the game launches with open world pvp, a lot of people inc myself will pass.

It does have open world pvp. But griefing is limited by the corruption system.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Dolyem wrote: »
    If people get upset over the aspect of ganking in a promotion for a PvX game, then they are probably in denial of the fact that PvP is just as much of a part of this game as PvE.

Its not, actually. And structured pvp is one thing. Open world griefers ganking ppl for pleasure is entirely different.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If people get upset over the aspect of ganking in a promotion for a PvX game, then they are probably in denial of the fact that PvP is just as much of a part of this game as PvE.

Its not, actually. And structured pvp is one thing. Open world griefers ganking ppl for pleasure is entirely different.

Which, I suppose, is why they're making it so clear now. When they use the word 'ganking' outright, in a way that it will be at the top of the discussion forum, it's almost explicitly meant to open a dialogue with you and players of the same perspective, even if indirectly.

Why would you pass on it? Is there any level of discouragement/punishment for the ganker (let's say me and one partner, in this case) that would make you willing to play anyway?
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    NosremeNosreme Member
    edited August 2022
    Azherae wrote: »

Which, I suppose, is why they're making it so clear now. When they use the word 'ganking' outright, in a way that it will be at the top of the discussion forum, it's almost explicitly meant to open a dialogue with you and players of the same perspective, even if indirectly.

Why would you pass on it? Is there any level of discouragement/punishment for the ganker (let's say me and one partner, in this case) that would make you willing to play anyway?

Because I've been there, done that, and when you open that door, you open a pandoras box of griefing thats generally unfun. I'll wait to see how corruption works, but I doubt it'll be a deterant for anyone. Steven has stated publicly that this game will not contain pvping griefing but we'll see when the game launches. There's a reason 90% of wow players are not on pvp servers.

Also, are they making it clear? It seems more uncertain than ever.
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    edited August 2022

Because players are motivated by different things, because they want something from the game that other players don't want, that's going to cause people to butt heads. Different players are going to want different experiences and the conflict between the two of them will create a bigger and better thing. Out of strife comes rebirth and that's a core symbol, it's a core theme that occurs throughout the game.[6] – Jeffrey Bard
    There are many reasons to engage in open world PvP in Ashes of Creation.[7]

Scarce resources.[7] open world pvp
    Hunting grounds.[7] open world pvp
    Caravans.[7]
    Sieges.[7]
    Guild wars.[7]
    Just because our flagging system gives corruption to pkers, doesn't mean PvP won't happen. There is plenty of reason for PvP to occur open-world. Scarce resources, open world hunting grounds, caravans, sieges, guild wars etc.[7] – Steven Sharif

Those bold ones are specifically built around ganking in open world involving farming/gathering.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options

Because players are motivated by different things, because they want something from the game that other players don't want, that's going to cause people to butt heads. Different players are going to want different experiences and the conflict between the two of them will create a bigger and better thing. Out of strife comes rebirth and that's a core symbol, it's a core theme that occurs throughout the game.[6] – Jeffrey Bard

Caravans.[7]
    Sieges.[7]
    Guild wars.[7]
    Just because our flagging system gives corruption to pkers, doesn't mean PvP won't happen. There is plenty of reason for PvP to occur open-world. Scarce resources, open world hunting grounds, caravans, sieges, guild wars etc.[7] – Steven Sharif

Those bold ones are specifically built around ganking in open world involving farming/gathering.

Well, we shall see, won't we? But if this is the case, then I'll happily spend my money elsewhere. And so will a lot of other people.
  • Options

Caravans.[7]
    Sieges.[7]
    Guild wars.[7]

Well, we shall see, won't we? But if this is the case, then I'll happily spend my money elsewhere. And so will a lot of other people.

Well that's fine. Nobody will force you to play a game that you don't enjoy. However there will be plenty of people who do enjoy it.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Well that's fine. Nobody will force you to play a game that you don't enjoy. However there will be plenty of people who do enjoy it.

I'm guessing "plenty" won't nearly be enough, but that's just my assessment.
  • Options

I'm guessing "plenty" won't nearly be enough, but that's just my assessment.

More of an opinion
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    I might just have to "cut down" this lumberjack's business short.

But please, lets not be unreasonable enough to take a lacking in context WWYD and over analyze or even give it more value/credit than it can have....
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited August 2022
    Here are the results of the poll!
    😱 You decide to gank the player, but find out that you have been ambushed!

💀 Better luck next time.

Thanks to everyone who participated and joined in on the fun! ^_^
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Smooth Vaknar, well done. Encapsulates the spirit of the game.
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »
    Here are the results of the poll!
    😱 You decide to gank the player, but find out that you have been ambushed!

💀 Better luck next time.

Thanks to everyone who participated and joined in on the fun! ^_^

Ranger OP lmao. 1 shot!
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    More of an opinion

No. Its based on the videos I've watched, the forum posts here and other places I've read, and my own considerable experience. That's a tad more than just an opinion. But your eagerness to try and passively aggressively attack me personally suggests you're nervous that I'm right. 😁
  • Options
    SavicSavic Member
    edited August 2022
    i imagine this was a tease for what they will talk about in this months live stream maybe

i personally dislike forced pvp enough where a lot of times i will intentionally do nothing if bothered cause i dont enjoy it most of the time since i'd rather just get it over with and then move on. I can be sold on pvp in mmos though cause i have done so in ESO and in new world's 20v20 mode

edit: i learned something new from the lazy peon video about the pvp and, bonus points, i did not know you were rewarded for fighting back an attacker which is very good for encouraging people to defend themselves
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    edited August 2022
    More of an opinion

No. Its based on the videos I've watched, the forum posts here and other places I've read, and my own considerable experience. That's a tad more than just an opinion. But your eagerness to try and passively aggressively attack me personally suggests you're nervous that I'm right. 😁

The cause of failed PVP servers tends to be dumbed down to "people not having fun" when in reality the fact that PVP servers with P2W features are doomed to fail. PVE can thrive even with P2W features because there's no real competition. PVP crumbles from P2W due to nobody enjoying having to use their wallet to be the best or keep up. The biggest example would be WoW. Classic WoW pvp was phenomenal. The only times it failed was because servers developed faction imbalances because blizzard allowed paid and even free transfers with zero regulation. With proper realm management maintaining faction balances it'd still be great. Sadly they also threw in a WoW token so it wouldn't make a difference anyway.
    Luckily the faction problem won't even be a factor in Ashes, and official p2w will also be nonexistent. The only potential problem with be gold sellers, which apparently intrepid is working on. A level playing field is how you get a healthy PVP game. A great example of a game (although MMO may be a stretch for defining it) is sea of thieves. Constant pvp threat, but every playthrough is fun as hell. You do the PVE, but the PVP threat is always there, and there is zero consequences for it in that game.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    GutzgoreGutzgore Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm more the PVE player, however I do like some PVP to.

This is my first PVP encounter in the game.. I attack, kill him and grab my achievement and some loot.

When he grabs his buddies to attack me, I recruit some players from my guild to square off with them. Then war is declared we get into a siege battle... who knows where it goes from there.
  • Options
    I hope the game doesnt have open world free ganking. The vast majority of players dont want this. If the game launches with open world pvp, a lot of people inc myself will pass.

They already said the default is going to be an OPT IN pvp system, meaning you won't be ganked if you didn't OPT IN in open pvp, unless you are corrupty have a bounty on your head or are in a guild war. That being said, I can also see the game having a server that has open world pvp enabled as a default
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    edited August 2022
    beapo wrote: »

They already said the default is going to be an OPT IN pvp system, meaning you won't be ganked if you didn't OPT IN in open pvp, unless you are corrupty have a bounty on your head or are in a guild war. That being said, I can also see the game having a server that has open world pvp enabled as a default

Where did you hear that? Open world PvP is enabled at all times, you can just choose not to fight back when getting ganked.
    Also at the moment there are no plans for any PVE servers.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options

it has open world pvp, said many times its a PvX game dont try and change it to PvE like the PvE crowd did with new world cause that went well :pensive:
  • Options
    as for question if your on the prowl well ur looking for ganks so in content of that then yes gank.
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited August 2022
    Dreugui wrote: »
    well, I cry because i'm the gatherer :cry:

we have a gatherer in my guild that does alot of these open world pvp games and let me tell you if you hit him when he harvesting he tend to fk you up and continues harvesting lol. Dont mess with him when he harvesting he is scary when you interupt him and his rock gathering lol :D

i Swear he gets a pvp bonus when he interupted when hitting his rocks lol cause he plays ahell of alot better when he interupted harvesting lol
  • Options
    ....?
    Do you ask if I would PK for no reason?
    This topic isnt constructive. It will confuse ppl or give ammo to pvp haters.

it realy isnt is it, there more to PvP than mindlessly killing, like if it was somone who in a guild or node i have no beef agaist i would probaly leave him be, if i want the nodes he harvesting if it a rare node or something i probaly would kill him.
    If my guild has his guild on the kill list or my node is at war with there guild i would kill them if there around a node were at war with i also might kill them, cause the resource harvested here could be going toward defence of said node, but if im nuetral with said player/node or what not i dont see a reason to kill them unless im super super bored and dont mind the corruption hit which hopefully wont be the case in AoC since there seem to be alot i could be doing.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Play this MMO solo and get ganked more frequently than comfortable, might be time to join a guild, try a different pve area or learn to pvp.

Play this MMO as part of a PvE orientated guild, stay neutral, don`t make trouble or make ally with a PvX or PvP clan for protection / support.

Play this MMO as a PvX clan, well you get ganked, pick your timing and gank back with greater force and/or friends!
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Regardless how much this happens in the game or such it still is a valid question that can give information on interest and thoughts. Ganking is still apart of the game and even if it isn't a gank fest so input is valuable.

Honestly, at this point, I won't know. I'm not sitting down creating my Character. It's going to be during THAT process, that I decide WHAT my Character is. Not just Class and eventual Sub-Class, but how I'm going to approach the game. Because I'm going to want my look to match my play style.

If I'm going PvP, especially if I'm going Corrupted PvP, I'm trying to get a certain look and style. I mean, I'm already going to be showing up 'Red', no need in trying to blend in by looking like a poor farmer. No, if I go that route, you're seeing Darth Vader come over the hill. And my entire Build is going to be about that Play Style.

More than likely, I'm going to be looking more towards Economy. You can be the 'Bad Guy' and still Economy, but I'm likely going to be looking to Craft. Haven't picked my path yet, but I'll likely be more PvE and Support focused, as in acquiring resources and helping Nodes build up. Helping those 'Front Line Fighters' get the good gear they need, while sort of being an Logistics kind of person. Yeah, I'm going to have to fight at some point, and I'll go in and do what I can. But I'm going to be looking to be some one that can enhance many people, instead of being one big baddy for my side. One Conan can be a huge benefit, but 1000 Swords of Destiny can take a lot of people well beyond their ability.

But who knows, it's all spit balling right now. Until I sit down and Create the Character, all I'm doing is having ideas and concepts and debating between them. Nothing is in stone.

SOMEONE is going to be THAT GUY, and non-stop ganking and a Pirate's Life for Thee. Might be me. Might not. Probably not, really. But SOME ONE is going to be doing it, and they'll probably meet a few other some one's like them and band together, because 1 vs Server usually goes badly for the 1.

And good. Because we won't have Bounty Hunters, if no one is getting a Bounty on their head. And we won't have Caravan Defenses if no one is attacking Caravans.

And yes, it sucks... because sometimes that means a lonely gatherer gets ganked. But they are going out there for reward, and reward doesn't come without risk.

If we're trying to play Good Guys, then we need Bad Guys to oppose. We need Villains.

And if we're trying to play Bad Guys, we'd be fools to not strike at the easiest targets we can when an opportunity presents itself.

WWYD? Depends on who you are, and depends on what you were thinking during Character Creation.

And that matters, because once you decide to go Dark Side it's going to be really hard to convince people you had a change of heart and now want to be a Good Guy. So once you start those ways, you're kind of stuck.
  • Options
    Okeydoke wrote: »
    On the player in a video game with pvp. Not the woman.

I'm so glad you clarified. Thankyou.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    This topic isnt constructive. It will confuse ppl or give ammo to pvp haters.

It's not often that I agree with you, George, but we're on the same wavelength this time. Hopefully it'll be the Intrepid Community Team trying to defuse any backlash and/or confusion, rather than leaving it to us to do.
  • Options
    I dont like pvp games that much, for two reasons: i work and i have trouble sleeping this makes me tired alot. So i dont have the energy to always watch my back and look at the screen the entire time iam logged in.

My girl friend want to play the animal husbandry and so we have a plan to build our homestead and go gathering. When i asked her about the pvp system she surprised me and said she likes it, she dont mind been ganked while gathering, for one off the majur pillars the games is build upon is pvp siges of nodes, so pvp has to be in the game.

I am planning to play a healer, i know healer will have good damage so this should not be a problem, I hope.

I remember Paradox Gaming have a very hard stands on defending the pvp system, but after a long discussion he changes his mind, and came up whit a new look, where he divided that map into pvp and pve zones. I thought this was a good idea, maybe this can preserve the philosophy of the game.

After i thought about it iam not against the intede pvp systems, i do like the idea of nodes and guilds. But i have three questions that i really want an answer too:
    First can people make an gank alt and just Alt-f4 if hes about to be revenged and wait until night to logg in and wait out his corruption?
    Second: can gankers go and take out people at there homestead or are this in an instanced world (i have tried to look this up, but i did not find an answer).
    Third: are there systems in the game that can unite players to find corrupted players, like a bounty hunter system or a guild protected zone area that can show where people need help. Iam asking for i see alot off MMO where people are un organized , dont have time or the social skill to get help. ( i know corrupted players are shown as red on the map, but maby something more is needed?)
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited August 2022
    AlfaKrqll wrote: »
    But i have three questions that i really want an answer too:
    First can people make an gank alt and just Alt-f4 if hes about to be revenged and wait until night to logg in and wait out his corruption?
    Second: can gankers go and take out people at there homestead or are this in an instanced world (i have tried to look this up, but i did not find an answer).
    Third: are there systems in the game that can unite players to find corrupted players, like a bounty hunter system or a guild protected zone area that can show where people need help.

First:
    I don't see why you wouldn't be able to log in and out when you want to. Forcing a player to stay logged in until they run off their corruption would be rather heavy-handed.

Second:
    "Safe zones

Players cannot PvP while inside (the footprint of)[1] a freehold (except following a successful node siege).[2][3]
    Players are not able to be attacked or robbed while occupying their player stall inside the limits of a node.[4]
    "
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Safe_zones

Third:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Bounty_hunters

*edited to add the Safe Zones link
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

> Probably but the more times they do this, the more incapacitated they become, so it is unlikely the player will do many times before having to deal with their corruption and become vulnerable to consequences

> no idea

Third: are there systems in the game that can unite players to find corrupted players, like a bounty hunter system or a guild protected zone area that can show where people need help. Iam asking for i see alot off MMO where people are unorganized , dont have time or the social skill to get help. ( i know corrupted players are shown as red on the map, but maby something more is needed?)
    > yes, and the systems in place feel like they will make it quite tame.

L2 had full loot drop in uncontested pvp when it started. There was plenty of ganking in the first few months while players were new and finding their way.. But as players leveled up, found friends, and joined guilds the server settled down.. solo players were not so common, players joined PvE, PvX and a small majority with heavy PvP focus.. there were known annoying players, but the solo annoying ones were rare as guilds would punish them quite severly.. and if a guild member played up, well the guild either had to stand by them or the whole guild would suffer the consequences.

Ganking was rare... ganking only really occurred when people did something wrong ..

See similar happening here.