Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Combat still needs a "wow factor"

Comments

• Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If looking purely at the animations, BDO did a really good job. I would like to see something of the same of better quality if looking only at the character animations. The ability effects are way over the top for mass combat though, and that screen-shake needs to die. Back when I played the old version of BDO, I don't remember the effects being as over the top, and mass PvP wasn't too horrible, but still pretty bad. Looking at the BDO video above, that would be a horror show for Ashes with those effects, but perhaps if they'll let players decrease the level of the effects, sorta like a manual LOD slider, we can all have what we want. I certainly don't want it to be something like I've seen in other games, where the options were just a binary on/off setting for effects that didn't directly affect you.

The game has to look and feel great in castle and node sieges. Hundreds of players in close proximity. Make that experience great and I'll be waaaay more impressed than with anything else. Fluid animations and a minimum of ability effects. Just enough to show clearly what's going on.
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nerror wrote: »
    If looking purely at the animations, BDO did a really good job. I would like to see something of the same of better quality if looking only at the character animations. The ability effects are way over the top for mass combat though, and that screen-shake needs to die. Back when I played the old version of BDO, I don't remember the effects being as over the top, and mass PvP wasn't too horrible, but still pretty bad. Looking at the BDO video above, that would be a horror show for Ashes with those effects, but perhaps if they'll let players decrease the level of the effects, sorta like a manual LOD slider, we can all have what we want. I certainly don't want it to be something like I've seen in other games, where the options were just a binary on/off setting for effects that didn't directly affect you.

The game has to look and feel great in castle and node sieges. Hundreds of players in close proximity. Make that experience great and I'll be waaaay more impressed than with anything else. Fluid animations and a minimum of ability effects. Just enough to show clearly what's going on.

I think Conquerors Blade has very crisp animations and they're very straightforward without being nauseating and against physiological mechanics of a skeleton.
  • Options
    Hm… looks good to me so far.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Agree with OP with some additions. I am calling for immersion, impacts, collisions, feedback. When you hit hard, it lands hard: melee and arrows do real impact, magic fire torches and lightning rips apart target material. Not just animations on with HP bars. You have to have feedback to the energy you release.
  • Options

That why I said animation. The effects are over the top due to multiple reasons including giant aoes everywhere. BDO wasn't like that originally then they went insane with awakening.

• Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »

That why I said animation. The effects are over the top due to multiple reasons including giant aoes everywhere. BDO wasn't like that originally then they went insane with awakening.

I'd like to see exactly what you mean. When I played BDO that shit was a nauseating light show.
  • Options
    i loved bdo combat and the camera shake T_T
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited December 2022
    Solvryn wrote: »

I'd like to see exactly what you mean. When I played BDO that shit was a nauseating light show.

When did you play BDO. (also you can hide effects btw)
  • Options
    Best way i can show it.

old bdo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtrkqudA3iE

New bdo after awakening and more giant aoe flashy type effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wd0pp6RBoU

Huge difference when effects are larger in size with more added to them which makes it worse in large scale. In old bdo there were not giant aoes and combat was a lot more direct.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Best way i can show it.

old bdo

Huge difference when effects are larger in size with more added to them which makes it worse in large scale. In old bdo there were not giant aoes and combat was a lot more direct.

Note that whether or not Mag's point is true (I'm pretty sure it isn't) these two videos are not representative of the point in question.

1. Kunoichi always looks like that, still does ( source: me)
    2. Woosa is almost explicitly the equivalent of like a Mage/Rogue and you'd expect it to look like that
    3. Awakening classes in general don't add more flashiness, they sometimes add more AoE which comes with 'bigger AoE indicators', which they have been working on making less intrusive while retaining the indicator part.

I'm no BDO visuals fan, I literally can't see anything at bosses if there's more than one caster class around, but how flashy you think BDO is, ends up almost directly correlated to 'how much AoE your class has' and 'whether or not you play most of the game solo' (which the majority of people do)

tl;dr @Nerror is right, but it's hard to judge BDO's outcomes without accepting that AoE effects in Ashes are going to cause some very similar outcomes.

As long as you need a 'proper' hit/range indicator for an AoE attack, there will be SOME problems here.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    Best way i can show it.

old bdo

Note that whether or not Mag's point is true (I'm pretty sure it isn't) these two videos are not representative of the point in question.

1. Kunoichi always looks like that, still does ( source: me)
    2. Woosa is almost explicitly the equivalent of like a Mage/Rogue and you'd expect it to look like that
    3. Awakening classes in general don't add more flashiness, they sometimes add more AoE which comes with 'bigger AoE indicators', which they have been working on making less intrusive while retaining the indicator part.

I'm no BDO visuals fan, I literally can't see anything at bosses if there's more than one caster class around, but how flashy you think BDO is, ends up almost directly correlated to 'how much AoE your class has' and 'whether or not you play most of the game solo' (which the majority of people do)

tl;dr @Nerror is right, but it's hard to judge BDO's outcomes without accepting that AoE effects in Ashes are going to cause some very similar outcomes.

As long as you need a 'proper' hit/range indicator for an AoE attack, there will be SOME problems here.

Clearly you did not play BDO at the beginning so have to say your point is not correct at all and simply here to attempt to argue pointlessly.

It is clear as day starting BDO compared to now after all awakening and such there is far more going on and size of AOE effects.

Awakening adds more AOE meaning more flashiness since the moves are giant.

Point in question is BDO awakening and after adds more AOE on all classes on a massive scale and increased speed of combat and farming. Don't try to reword my own statement made by me just to argue thank you.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited December 2022
    This is how you know someone is out here to just argue with you and not listen to what you are saying lmao, look at the gameplay difference then say you are wrong just cause they want to.

old BDO tons of players and can see what is going on les giant aoes = less flash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjf5gsh0phA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU1_0s9jhCo&t=593s

Current BDO less players and 100* more effects
    *edit can also see large scale fight and clearly more effects going on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWYpFOjYgX4
  • Options
    Indeed. I will generally call out your 'lies' whenever you make them.

So in a very real sense, I AM here to 'just argue with you' whenever you mislead others.

I will continue until asked to stop by Moderators.

The quickest solution to this for both of us would be for you to stop 'lying'.

I will not, however, bother to address your other two videos in detail since I believe anyone even slightly familiar with BDO knows why they look like that. For everyone ELSE.

Video one is of Sorceress, Archer, Berserker, generally lower flash, on defense in a castle.

Video two is of a new class with literal Lightning AoEs on many attacks, which, being sensible, the player USES in a group combat situation as the offensive engage character.

Carry on, Mag.

• Options

So in a very real sense, I AM here to 'just argue with you' whenever you mislead others.

I will not, however, bother to address your other two videos in detail since I believe anyone even slightly familiar with BDO knows why they look like that. For everyone ELSE.

Video one is of Sorceress, Archer, Berserker, generally lower flash, on defense in a castle.

Video two is of a new class with literal Lightning AoEs on many attacks, which, being sensible, the player USES in a group combat situation as the offensive engage character.

Carry on, Mag.

You are literarily lying and trying to start pointless arguments. There is nothing you can say about it because the videos speak for themselves on what bdo looked like upon release and what BDO looks like now.

The fact you ignore having about 20 new abilities per class and new classes added, succession balance changes and new skills as not effecting the game by adding more AOE and there for more flash spam when people cycle through more skills towards the AOE variety with large effects and say I'm lying with action gameplay I'm linking is frankly disgusting just because you want to argue with someone on a forum.

Basically, you are saying them adding more skills, and more giant aoes and changing the game does not add more flash compared to OG BDO while ideas are showing that is the case.

I feel the same with pretty much how you act towards people and assume things to push for actual arguments, mods should be really looking at you when you add passive aggressive mentions to your post with most your interactions with people. Even after I've tried to be nice to you again and again.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited December 2022
    Awakening Sorc gameplay more moves, more giant aoe to use, can swap between more skills and use even more skills within a time frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44mk_xY6WQU

Awakening Zerker more aoes and cannon shots cause more aoe flashes on the screen and zooming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-snHTQyXgk

New class added into the game with giant flashy aoe that was not in original BDO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38l-lxIa82g

Tell me again how there is not more flash in current bdo compared to the old one?
  • Options

Carry on, Mag.

You are literarily lying and trying to start pointless arguments. There is nothing you can say about it because the videos speak for themselves on what bdo looked like upon release and what BDO looks like now.

The fact you ignore having about 20 new abilities per class and new classes added, succession balance changes and new skills as not effecting the game by adding more AOE and there for more flash spam when people cycle through more skills towards the AOE variety with large effects and say I'm lying with action gameplay I'm linking is frankly disgusting just because you want to argue with someone on a forum.

Basically, you are saying them adding more skills, and more giant aoes and changing the game does not add more flash compared to OG BDO while ideas are showing that is the case.

I feel the same with pretty much how you act towards people and assume things to push for actual arguments, mods should be really looking at you when you add passive aggressive mentions to your post with most your interactions with people. Even after I've tried to be nice to you again and again.

Then please flag my posts and make the counterpoints accordingly so that they can deal with them.

We are both trying to be nice or helpful to each other in ways that are not working.

Perhaps if we do the opposite for a while, the outcome will be better.

• Options

Carry on, Mag.

Then please flag my posts and make the counterpoints accordingly so that they can deal with them.

We are both trying to be nice or helpful to each other in ways that are not working.

You are starting a conversation with Mag is lying when i know and understand the game does not help. I've literarily looked past you are being rude said i forgive you and don't dislike you than you just slight me again randomly when i didn't even mention you in the post.

Having a dislike or being rude to someone and engaging like that won't help any conversation get anywhere as you have a bias to not caring or wanting to understand them. That is why I dropped that because I can't have a conversation with you if I'm thinking like that....Only for you to go back to how you were.

If you want to have a serious discussion on how all the things added to the game doesn't make it flashier then by all means let's hear it. But don't start a discussion calling me a liar on my years of experience on the game.
  • Options

Carry on, Mag.

You are starting a conversation with Mag is lying when i know and understand the game does not help. I've literarily looked past you are being rude said i forgive you and don't dislike you than you just slight me again randomly when i didn't even mention you in the post.

Having a dislike or being rude to someone and engaging like that won't help any conversation get anywhere as you have a bias to not caring or wanting to understand them. That is why I dropped that because I can't have a conversation with you if I'm thinking like that....Only for you to go back to how you were.

If you want to have a serious discussion on how all the things added to the game doesn't make it flashier then by all means let's hear it. But don't start a discussion calling me a liar on my years of experience on the game.

I put the word 'lies' in quotes for that reason.

I did not START the conversation by calling you a liar. I STARTED by pointing out that your VIDEOS were not a good representation of your POINT.

Your immediate response to me saying this was:
    Clearly you did not play BDO at the beginning so have to say your point is not correct at all and simply here to attempt to argue pointlessly.

You did not need to say this, and despite the type of response I got to that post, I would not have responded to the rest of that post, even considering the way you approached the points made.

I responded to the second post.

I just want you to make your point better, using examples that actually clarify the situation to someone who does NOT have the experience with BDO that we have. I haven't seen you do it yet, and I perceive the videos you chose to use as misleading (not necessarily on purpose, perhaps just lack of effort).

I don't want to say more in this post, as it devolves discussion. If you just have the same style of response to this post too, if this post here makes you feel like I am 'just arguing out of bias', please just don't respond to it, ignore me like the manipulative troll you think I am.

• Options

Roughly 4 years ago, I just never liked BDO art and animations.

• Options

Carry on, Mag.

I put the word 'lies' in quotes for that reason.

I did not START the conversation by calling you a liar. I STARTED by pointing out that your VIDEOS were not a good representation of your POINT.

Your immediate response to me saying this was:

You did not need to say this, and despite the type of response I got to that post, I would not have responded to the rest of that post, even considering the way you approached the points made.

I responded to the second post.

I just want you to make your point better, using examples that actually clarify the situation to someone who does NOT have the experience with BDO that we have. I haven't seen you do it yet, and I perceive the videos you chose to use as misleading (not necessarily on purpose, perhaps just lack of effort).

I don't want to say more in this post, as it devolves discussion. If you just have the same style of response to this post too, if this post here makes you feel like I am 'just arguing out of bias', please just don't respond to it, ignore me like the manipulative troll you think I am.

The point is clear Day one BDO compared to BDO currently is far different in terms of flashy effects do to liek ive said in my other post more skills, bigger AOE effects, more effects adding into them, faster cycling of use of skills with more cancels means more things that look like spam...

If someone hasn't played bdo it's much easier to keep it simply with actual gameplay shown than explain in detail in combat ie ninja can use like 12 skills in this time frame with effects everywhere compared to before where they could only use 4. Or simply showing a video of a newer class that wasn't in the game day one which doesn't get any straighter froward than that when compared to the visuals and movements of precious classes as shown in the video...

Not everything needs a detailed dive or a page post on reasons...videos are more than enough unless they ask for more information themselves.
  • Options

Roughly 4 years ago, I just never liked BDO art and animations.

Awakening was 4 years ago, you would have to play BDO even older than that for original BDO or atleast around day one time frame. There were less effects / aoes and less attack spam compared to now. So around 2016 BDO
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Keep in mind that much of what you've seen is an early work in progress, and that "wow! Factor" doesn't come as much into play until the real polish happens :)
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »
    Keep in mind that much of what you've seen is an early work in progress, and that "wow! Factor" doesn't come as much into play until the real polish happens :)

Just dont spend all that time in the environment for us to not see it in the combat? I'd love up to kick up some snow due to impact.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Just dont spend all that time in the environment for us to not see it in the combat? I'd love up to kick up some snow due to impact.

Oh god. I can imagine the pain when devs read comments like that. It's like a hillbilly telling an engineer "Hey, I know you just started working on that rocket, but it looks like shit why don't you have the US flag painted on the top?" :D
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »

Oh god. I can imagine the pain when devs read comments like that. It's like a hillbilly telling an engineer "Hey, I know you just started working on that rocket, but it looks like shit why don't you have the US flag painted on the top?" :D

Seems defeating if everything ties into each other and the combat is separate from the biome its taking place in.
  • Options

1) Whats wrong with wanting to see the effect a character has on the environment?
    2) There are games out there where walking through snow leaves tracks and snow pushed out of the way. Not too far of a stretch to expect to see an impact point and slide trail from a body landing in the snow.
    3) Your hillbilly comment is about as smart as your argument.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2022
    Rhorden wrote: »
    1) Whats wrong with wanting to see the effect a character has on the environment?
    2) There are games out there where walking through snow leaves tracks and snow pushed out of the way. Not too far of a stretch to expect to see an impact point and slide trail from a body landing in the snow.

dude Literally replied to a CM that said "what you've seen is an early work in progress" and asked for more shit that is irrelevant now, in an EARLY ALPHA stage...... we don't even have a game built yet

I know you see nothing wrong there, but that's why there should be a minimum QI requirement for commenting here, at least +10 lol

img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options

Just let it go lol, he's always been like that.

Better to respond and give feedback now, rather than five years from now when the game may finally release.

Dunning-Kruger is a very common phenomenon on the internet.
  • Options
    ClintHardwoodClintHardwood Member
    edited December 2022
    Jhoren wrote: »
    Personally I just want them to focus on getting some solid combat basics for all the classes first.

With 500+ players on my screen fighting, I don't need or want bling or fancyness, I want super solid movement and responsiveness in combat, with no desync. Keep the effects to a minimum so I can see the other players through all the ability spam, but still be aware of the abilities coming my way.

If they can pull that off, I'll be wow'ed.

I can agree to this fluidity in motion and have the effects of weight and force represented through respective environments.

I don’t think I’ve seen combat look completely fantastic in any game in my 20+ years of mmo gaming.

I'd say lost ark's combat was the best combat I've experienced in any game. Actually perfect (minus the PvP, which admittedly sucks). Too bad the rest of the game is a grindy money grab. Albion's combat is a close second. It's balanced in PvE and PvP, tactical, and careful use of abilities is sometimes more important than item power.
  • Options

dude Literally replied to a CM that said "what you've seen is an early work in progress" and asked for more shit that is irrelevant now, in an EARLY ALPHA stage...... we don't even have a game built yet

I know you see nothing wrong there, but that's why there should be a minimum QI requirement for commenting here, at least +10 lol

What stage of development is Archage 2? Any ideas?