Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Could there be a server where you only have 1 character?

xmixxmix Member
edited July 2023 in General Discussion
This is 1 request and 1 question. The majority likes that several characters can be used on 1 server, I don't want this to change on every server, just make 1-2 exceptions if there is a need for it.if you can have more than one character on 1 server, my personal problems with it: time-consuming, pvp with your non-main character with minimal negative impact,event with multiple characters,it does not look for a missing main character, but instead switches to it,more characters you can learn more professions, this also reduces the interaction with the others Clearing dungeons multiple times,your alt character is in a small guild, your character is big in a big guild. if you only have 1 character, the classes and the character itself are more important and pvp is less. thank you in advance for your feedback. (if something is weird, it's because I translated it with a translator, but I hope you can understand roughly what I'm writing)

Comments

• Options
    xmixxmix Member
    (if something is weird, it's because I translated it with a translator, but I hope you can understand roughly what I'm writing)
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would not have a problem with a server of this type.

I would probably choose to play on this server.

Despite the fact that some people would still get second accounts.

But I don't think it is important.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I'd love a server like this, but Intrepid said they won't have servers with different features.
  • Options
    iccericcer Member
    edited July 2023
    Yeah, I wouldn't be opposed to something like this.

I am however a player that likes to experience more than one class at their "peak power level" (or just with all abilities unlocked), so it wouldn't really work for me that well. I generally try to have at least a few max level characters to really get a feel of how each class plays, and then I decide to stick with one I like the most. In some games it works better than in others, as some games allow you to change your class, etc.
    In AoC that won't be the case really, and I highly doubt I'll play in alpha/closed beta (unless I somehow magically stumble upon the alpha/beta access), so I'll really only be able to decide during open-beta/launch.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I always only make one char. But I would rather IS uses the money and resources in opening a new server for new players 1-2 years after launch instead of this type of server you are suggesting , or any special rules type of server.

In challenging mmos (unlike eso wow ff14 etc) people have to interact with each other, and they have to stick with 1-2 chars, or they get left behind.
    Your conserns dont apply in AoC, which will be challenging and group based.
    It wont be an altfest.
    No.
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    I always only make one char. But I would rather IS uses the money and resources in opening a new server for new players 1-2 years after launch instead of this type of server you are suggesting , or any special rules type of server.

In challenging mmos (unlike eso wow ff14 etc) people have to interact with each other, and they have to stick with 1-2 chars, or they get left behind.
    It wont be an altfest.
    No.

What will the interaction be like if I have 3 characters, I mine with one, process with the other, and produce weapons or armor with the 3rd. Someone will go to the dungeon 3x 4x, and someone will not be taken 1x. wouldn't the point be that the new players can catch up and replace the eliminated players on the existing server?do you make a new server for the new arrivals, the old servers will slowly drop off and disappear?
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    xmix wrote: »
    What will the interaction be like if I have 3 characters, I mine with one, process with the other, and produce weapons or armor with the 3rd. Someone will go to the dungeon 3x 4x, and someone will not be taken 1x. wouldn't the point be that the new players can catch up and replace the eliminated players on the existing server?do you make a new server for the new arrivals, the old servers will slowly drop off and disappear?
    If you have the time to put into several characters and level them all up to a point where they could be taken to dungeons or could produce high lvls items - you deserve to do those things.

And if you're talking about such characters waaaay down the line, Intrepid would have to put in some form of catch-up mechanic for new players, so your secondary chars would just be competing against newbies.
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    NiKr wrote: »
    If you have the time to put into several characters and level them all up to a point where they could be taken to dungeons or could produce high lvls items - you deserve to do those things.

And if you're talking about such characters waaaay down the line, Intrepid would have to put in some form of catch-up mechanic for new players, so your secondary chars would just be competing against newbies.

I don't think it's good to develop a 2nd character to make money with it and in principle the development won't be fast. They talked about 2-3 months until the max level, so that I can complete the factory and 1-2 dungeons with it.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I don't think it's good to develop a 2nd character to make money with it and in principle the development won't be fast. They talked about 2-3 months until the max level, so that I can complete the factory and 1-2 dungeons with it.
    I can't see the problem here. You've put in the time to progress several characters so you reap the reward for that. You could've spent that time progressing a single char and might've gotten way further, so in a way you risked wasting your time. Risk & reward.

Also, you seem to be talking about dungeons as if they're some one-time thing or smth. Which they are not. The only dungeons that will probably be one-timers are story-based ones, and those will not reward with BiS gear and everyone will also be able to complete them, so it's not like you'll win over others by having several characters run those dungeons.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I can see the appeal. Unlikely to ever happen, but I understand the desire. I would probably try it, but I think I am too much of an altoholic to not play on a different server as my main.
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    NiKr wrote: »
    I can't see the problem here. You've put in the time to progress several characters so you reap the reward for that. You could've spent that time progressing a single char and might've gotten way further, so in a way you risked wasting your time. Risk & reward.

Also, you seem to be talking about dungeons as if they're some one-time thing or smth. Which they are not. The only dungeons that will probably be one-timers are story-based ones, and those will not reward with BiS gear and everyone will also be able to complete them, so it's not like you'll win over others by having several characters run those dungeons.

you will have 1 medium guild of 100 people, everyone has 1 sub character in 1 other guild and that guild will only pvp while the main guild farms. Anyone who wanders into the area, the guild will enter in their farming area that someone is here. they switch to their sub character for 20-50 and tear them apart. They get that they killed 1 smallseb but they don't care because they switch back to the main character and continue farming as if nothing had happened.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ashes only has 1 gameplay ruleset for all servers.
  • Options
    I would probably want to play on this server, but at the same time would hate not having the ability to make alts in a game that has choice restrictions like this one. let me give an example of a horrible game that does this right now. Mortal Online 2. Your account gets one character, but many people I knew and know now that play the game bit the bullet to make a whole new steam account and purchase the game again just for an alt. Myself included.

The problem comes with the restrictions on choice for a player. In MO2 if you create a character with x race, it can only really be good at doing certain things. A thursar (half-orc) cant be a magic user. period. You lack the mana regen and the stats in total to really be good at it in any regard. The same thing goes for the various other race choices. And all of this then is compounded by the highly restrictive "respeccing" in the game. If you level a skill and want to take those points out to spend on another skill, you actively lose those skill points forever, and they slowly bleed over in the new skill as you preform actions with the new skill to gain exp.

Sorry for the info dump on a game that no one should ever play, but my point here is that because of the restrictions you get extremely degenerate gameplay from players where they end up buying the game again and subverting the whole point of no alts. And make no mistake, ashes would be quite full of such players because of its current designs and goals.

At the end of the day, if theres enough wiggle room across the races, professions, and classes for players to shift around, this could work and you get some players that do the above. If not, then you absolutely get the above from anyone taking the game in a serious manner.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack

It wont be an altfest.
    No.

I just told you, there wont be time for 3 characters. You will be left behind.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    you will have 1 medium guild of 100 people, everyone has 1 sub character in 1 other guild and that guild will only pvp while the main guild farms. Anyone who wanders into the area, the guild will enter in their farming area that someone is here. they switch to their sub character for 20-50 and tear them apart. They get that they killed 1 smallseb but they don't care because they switch back to the main character and continue farming as if nothing had happened.
    Sorry but I got no damn clue what you just said.

Are you saying that people will have PK alts? Yes, that's a possibility, but even if corruption penalties are lessened after feedback (HUGE FUCKING IF) - you will still only be able to PK a few times on one character, because PK count will make it very hard to clear corruption w/o completely gimping your character.

Also, that approach would only work if the incoming guild is unwilling to pvp for the location. Because if they are willing - in 90% cases alts will lose against main chars. And even in the cases where they don't lose, the incoming guild can just keep coming back and prevent the original guild from farming the location properly, so all of those hours spent on those alts would've been wasted.
  • Options
    Even without a special server it something I've seriously consider doing, if only to experience how different servers can evolve.

All servers in Star Wars Galaxies were one character per server at launch. Crafting skills being bought with the same skill points (gaining XPs in each skills separately) than combat skills, it ensured they were an important part of the community. Players could unlearn skills and change what their character was capable of, but it wasn't a fast process, you had to gain XPs in the new skills. One character meant some dedication.

Ashes not asking to compromise your fighting capabilities to pursue artisan professions, there is lesser need to promote dedication to one way over the other.

Still going to do it to poke around the many Verra.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    He's saying that the alt-guild will basically only need to PK once to rid the farm area of rivals.
    Then they hop back onto their main characters and continue farming.

Theoretically possible, but probably not worth creating a server with a defferent ruleset.
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    Sathrago wrote: »
    I would probably want to play on this server, but at the same time would hate not having the ability to make alts in a game that has choice restrictions like this one. let me give an example of a horrible game that does this right now. Mortal Online 2. Your account gets one character, but many people I knew and know now that play the game bit the bullet to make a whole new steam account and purchase the game again just for an alt. Myself included.

The problem comes with the restrictions on choice for a player. In MO2 if you create a character with x race, it can only really be good at doing certain things. A thursar (half-orc) cant be a magic user. period. You lack the mana regen and the stats in total to really be good at it in any regard. The same thing goes for the various other race choices. And all of this then is compounded by the highly restrictive "respeccing" in the game. If you level a skill and want to take those points out to spend on another skill, you actively lose those skill points forever, and they slowly bleed over in the new skill as you preform actions with the new skill to gain exp.

Sorry for the info dump on a game that no one should ever play, but my point here is that because of the restrictions you get extremely degenerate gameplay from players where they end up buying the game again and subverting the whole point of no alts. And make no mistake, ashes would be quite full of such players because of its current designs and goals.

At the end of the day, if theres enough wiggle room across the races, professions, and classes for players to shift around, this could work and you get some players that do the above. If not, then you absolutely get the above from anyone taking the game in a serious manner.

I would only ask for 1 server. Not all of them. I think they want to start at least 10 servers, but there may be more. The whole game wouldn't be about development. and the smaller characters would also be able to fit in more easily and their development would not be disturbed by the many sub characters.
  • Options
    Hop to the back of the queue.
    You ain't the only one asking for just 1 server with a different ruleset...
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    He's saying that the alt-guild will basically only need to PK once to rid the farm area of rivals.
    Then they hop back onto their main characters and continue farming.

Theoretically possible, but probably not worth creating a server with a defferent ruleset.
    This is a one-time trick that doesn't even work. It accomplishes nothing because the victim guild will just come back and now the OG got nothing against them, because all of their alts are red.

And as I said, if a whole damn guild came to a farming location (not boss farming btw, cause ya ain't logging out of that shit) - they're ready to fight. So the OGs would just be stuck on their alts instead of farming.

The premise simply doesn't work. And I know this because I've had PKing alts in L2 and used them for similar approaches. In majority of cases I'd simply end up pvping on my main, purely because it's always more built up and can win more fights, while the PKing alt is simply a glass cannon that can't survive against an enemy who's ready to fight back.

Leveling up a whole damn guild of alts for purely this reason is an absolute waste of time.
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited July 2023

A 1 character server is infinitely more reasonable than a pve or pvp only server.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited July 2023

I would only ask for 1 server. Not all of them. I think they want to start at least 10 servers, but there may be more. The whole game wouldn't be about development. and the smaller characters would also be able to fit in more easily and their development would not be disturbed by the many sub characters.

I hear ya. Another problem we have to be careful of is the main reason why too many servers, and different server options can be a problem. Splitting the playerbase. This is why no one wants a pve only server. We want those players on a single server (or the minimum amount of servers) so that the world is full and the economy is vibrant. And yes, a bit of that is more people to kill, but thats just the nature of a game like this and steven has already said hes not changing that.
  • Options
    2 characters would be better:
    - a main and
    - one to try out different builds
    Because playing the same character all the time and wondering how the others feel is bad.
    Many characters has the advantage of allowing us to try out everything.
    The negative aspect is that one player might become auto sufficient and never buy anything crafted by other players.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

A 1 character server is infinitely more reasonable than a pve or pvp only server.
    Also people wanting an RP server.
    And if you cave for one request.... that just gives expectations for others.
  • Options
    Another problem we have to be careful of is the main reason why too many servers, and different server options can be a problem. Splitting the playerbase. This is why no one wants a pve only server. We want those players on a single server (or the minimum amount of servers) so that the world is full and the economy is vibrant. And yes, a bit of that is more people to kill, but thats just the nature of a game like this and steven has already said hes not changing that.
    The playerbase is already split.
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member

I hear ya. Another problem we have to be careful of is the main reason why too many servers, and different server options can be a problem. Splitting the playerbase. This is why no one wants a pve only server. We want those players on a single server (or the minimum amount of servers) so that the world is full and the economy is vibrant. And yes, a bit of that is more people to kill, but thats just the nature of a game like this and steven has already said hes not changing that.

when the new world started, there were 1 million players, I don't think they are gonging on such server sizes, but they had 100+ servers.so there will be a few servers for sure. I think they could solve the fact that 1 server is 1 character with a few command lines.They are developing an MMO, so it doesn't cause them a big headache if they want to.
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited July 2023
    Another problem we have to be careful of is the main reason why too many servers, and different server options can be a problem. Splitting the playerbase. This is why no one wants a pve only server. We want those players on a single server (or the minimum amount of servers) so that the world is full and the economy is vibrant. And yes, a bit of that is more people to kill, but thats just the nature of a game like this and steven has already said hes not changing that.

Not really, no. You still have to play on the same servers as the rest of us. Huehuehue. Or dont play. whatever works for you. And if you choose not to play, you are not apart of the playerbase.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    So your concerns are mostly that of alts taking away from some experiences? From my own experience, I've usually kept most of my playtime to one or two characters on a server, just because that's what my time allows. I know friends who have had many alts, but they also generally had more time to invest!
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    i wish there was only 1 character allowed per server <;
  • Options
    AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

There is a vocal minority who hates pvp that don't want to actually play the game the way Steven intends. Some are even planning on mocking the whole project by intentionally ignoring the game mechanics and being a thorn, even though they really dont like the game or its design pillars.

/fixed

I am sure this category of player is Intrepid's top priority.