Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Combat: Tera/BDO or more like GW2?

Comments

• Options
    Tab targeting with offensive and defensive targets = winning.
  • Options
    As long as tab targeting<strong> doesnt</strong> give ranged combat such a giant advantage, which in tab target or even locked on target,it undoubtedly usually does than i'd be fine with it.

I'm just hoping it'll be gw2 at minimal combat, as that was playable and still fun. but teras combat was just plain fun, fluid and active(black deserts was okay but wasnt as fluid and was stale in comparison to teras combat)

Also people <strong>cannot</strong> compare mmorpgs on popularity or reception just purely based off it being tab target or not. Game design and content are what make people play and stay for games. Also how the developers are to their players and customer service all factor in. For every popular tab target game there was just as many if not more unpopular tab target games. i can't say the same is true or isnt true for action combat games, but in all genres right now action combat is a huge hit, and can bring your non typical mmorpg gamer to actually play an mmorpg. Plus with how streaming, and youtube is big, action combat is just more pleasant to the eyes than just people standing around.

take Ashes for example, more people are excited about the concepts and game mechanics for it, not the combat(which is still not fully known) we will judge if this game is good or not by the content and longevity of the game design, the combat is just bonus.
  • Options
    I prefer the more TERA style with non-targeting/free aiming and active defenses. It's just much more fun overall and still as easy to play (even on healers) as tab target games. It makes you feel like you're really in combat instead of standing back watching it. And for the ranged vs melee concerns, it balances that out much better anyway.
  • Options
    I am hoping for a tab targeted style combat system. A hybrid would be cool as well. I think in this system it allows for more strategy with consequence due to GCD as long as the GCD is tolerable. However, I am always willing to give a new style a try. Basically as long as the combat fits the style of the game it will be good to go.
  • Options
    Tab targeting is fine. I hope AOC doesn't get lost trying to reinvent combat. Too many games, imo, have gotten lost in the weeds with cliche mechanics.
  • Options
    [quote quote=2339]BDO’s fluency in and between attacks is superior. The playstyle was, and is refreshing still. Balancing was an issue – and only stacking AP soon became a grind of ‘luck’ – BDO had too much RNG going on and not enough customization for the player itself(random hp increases per lvl – to name one). You could really ‘feel’ the hits in BDO – that was a strong point.
    BDO works in PVE. PvP, not so much. You needed to have two players <25 ping to have a somewhat decent pvp experience, then the AP needed to be balanced because you’d get **** if you had 20 AP lower. I guess balance in BDO is something that negatively influenced my pvp gameplay in bdo.
    GW2 was meh from the start for me. I’d like to call it a ‘half-assed, not sure what they want’ kind of combat system. The hits had no ‘weight’ to them and felt dull. Just a few numbers popping up – if it’s like GW2 i’d prefer a full tab target system, more towards wow.

[/quote]

That moment you recognize an avatar before the name xD

Everything you've said is valid, and hopefully will be taken under consideration, although I would like to point out that we appear to have the ability to allocate our stat points as we please in AoC, AND the PVP system is eerily familiar to something the NA/EU BDO community brainstormed before it's western release... ;)
  • Options
    If I were making a MMO I wouldn't just being looking at combat in other MMO's. I would be looking at how combat works in some MOBA'S as well. For instance I play Paragon when I need a pvp fix. Now I wouldn't want guns and many of the abilities that exist in Paragon, but how some things function/target is cool. The interactions of Paragons combat is an interesting study.

Someone mentioned BDO. I hated that game. That mouse scrolling business to turn was horrible. Any game with that is instant quit for me. I personally like Archeage if it is in a traditional sense (though must be balanced). Another good game to get ideas from is the Witcher 3. What a beautiful game! Such a shame the Witcher 3 had cluttered and horrible bag set up and was only single player.
  • Options
    [quote quote=4751]Tab targeting is fine. I hope AOC doesn’t get lost trying to reinvent combat. Too many games, imo, have gotten lost in the weeds with cliche mechanics.

[/quote]
    This... Too many console players coming into the MMo market wanting action combat, and too many devs trying to please the minority, and the use of controllers. Tab targeting works and it's proven. No need for aoe spam action combat, which is what it is.
  • Options
    Yeah I do not like the controller style movement either. That is why I hate BDO. Let my toon turn with the arrow keys.
  • Options
    [quote quote=4170]the combat system is just bonus.[/quote]

This
  • Options
    I really hope that the combat is engaging. Having spent the last 2 years playing almost any mmorpg I can, its always tedious combat that losses me. Blade and Soul had the best combat of any MMO i have played, it required skill and timing all the time. Too often the only thing keeping you going is unlocking the next skill but once you learn the rotations and buff maintenance and generally basic dodging you get bored, it becomes a button bashing game, may as well be playing wackamole. I think that action needs to be combo based and require player skill above learning a rotation. Each class skill needs to feel worthwhile and give the player a chance to use a variety of skills based on the situation they are in. Please just no to the tried and tested tab - rotation, position, rotation.
  • Options
    Please don't make the combat system ANYTHING like Gw2 or Wildstar. Those systems are just AOE spam fests and require little to no skill to execute. Hit a button dmg/heal everything within your fancy yellow circle......
  • Options
    I'd say that Tera/BDO combat would be the best to keep people interested.
    I usually prefer to just go out and kill rather than gather.

Combat is not the only important thing as stated above but it is absolutely something that should be looked at critically.
  • Options
    [quote quote=2322]gw2[/quote]

well said Zention
    Gw2 combat style its the best that i can picture for this game i just hope that its fluid and dont be just press buttons with your forehead and it's done , some calculations or misscalculations and chances to dodge the skills are necessarie or then we have a good game fundacion with a shity ass combat system from the 2000 and its gonna be kinda boring.
  • Options
    GW2's combat is simply terrible. I hope it will be more action style and not "poke them for eternity with your weak as butt skills while jumping around like bunnies"
  • Options
    BDO is a horrible game in my opinion.
  • Options
    i am always coming back to gw2 because of the combat. i really hope the combat will close to it.
  • Options
    Why not something like Guild Wars ONE mixed with Neverwinter?

Limited action bar, with skills you can "craft" depending on your class combos. (Akin to having suffixes and prefixes that are exclusive to class). Those modifiers can be "learn" in a skill tree.

Example:
    On one side:
    Rush is a warrior Skill
    Impaling (add Piercing Damage) - is a Warrior prefix.
    Of Discipline (add threshold point) - is a Warrior suffix.
    On the other side:
    Barrier is a mage Skill
    Sunfire (add PBAoE Damage) - is a Mage prefix.
    Of Potency (add range) - is a Mage Sufix.

So a Warrior (1st)/Mage (2nd) could potentialy do a "Sunfire Rush of Discipline" ergo a Gap Closer with an added Point Blank Area of Effect (that would be translated as on impact) damage with a small casting time or a "Impaling Rush of Potency" ergo a Gap Closer that deals piercing damage along the way of the charge with an extended range (instead of 20m -> 30m).

And the Mage (1st)/Warrior(2nd) could use a "Sunfire Barrier of Discipline" ergo a Bubble that can withstand more hits and that deals Point Blank Area of Effect damage each seconds or an "Impaling Barrier of Potency" ergo a Bubble that can be applied on allies and that retaliates damages.
  • Options
    Tab Target combat is SO last gen and Archaic that it absolutely baffles me that people still cling to that old paradigm.

Point blank it needs to die. We are entering an ERA of VR gaming soon and tab target just doesn't work in that evironment. People want realistic and engaging combat. Tab targetting feels as one user put it "like playing wack a Mole" It's an over 10 year old combat system that needs to never be used again.

Black Desert's Soul calibur style combat is so satisfying and fluid and amazing that anything less simply won't hold my interest. I could go with something similar to maybe ESO's combat system but not tab target... I literally could not go back to Archeage after experiencing Black Desert's combat. I went back to play the Archeage fresh start severs for 20 minutes and I was like "man this combat feels like trash" and I played Archeage Ferverently for 2 years when it first came out!

If anything this game should have an action combat system similar to ESO or Black desert with a focus on making a combat system that will also be viable in VR with free hands movement once motion platforms and VR headsets become more mainstream.
  • Options
    Best combat I have personally experienced for me was Guild Wars 2 and Elder Scrolls Online. It feels like youre actually fighting without making it too hardcore I would say. Like it is engaging but in a fun way.
  • Options
    I know alot of people want bdo style combat. Action combat is pretty much the growing, accepted style of gameplay in the mmo community. Tab targeting feels dated because its the old formula used for basically all mmos up to a recent point. WoW, Rift, Rohan (lul), Mabinogi, TSW...alot of mmos ran off of tab targeting for years and years. Its no real shock that people get tired of it after awhile. Thats why these next gen mmos look so sparkly and promising cause they're <strong>action</strong> combat. Games like DCUO or Tera were really interesting when they first came out because they didnt follow the regular tab target system. Then when Blade n Soul and BDO came out, it took it up to the next level (albeit the mechanics/dev mind-games take away much enjoyment). My thoughts on the combat is pretty simple: If I play a class that attacks fast, I want to <strong>feel</strong> like I'm attacking fast. If I play a class that uses a heavy, hard hitting weapon, then I want it to feel like hes really putting his weight into his swings. Mages should feel like they're going to burn the entire world because magic and rangers should feel fluid and agile while shooting arrows or moving around. If action combat can accomplish this, then so be it, <em>but</em> if tab targeting can accomplish this feeling, then Im good with that too.
  • Options
    I mean, yeah I would love if the combat was as realistic as it can get but then we will never be able to just shoot projectiles and spells randomly in an MMO game because theres ping and all caster classes and ranger classes wouldve been at a disadvantage. Well maybe one day when the technical issues are solved we will get to play such a game. I cant wait.
  • Options
    The combat should feel realistic and reactiv. I hate combat that is way over the top with to much effects.
  • Options
    Im playing MMOs since 18 years now starting with Ultima Online and i have to say that i like tab targeting and action combat, it all depends on the how it is being used.

Sure BDO combat was a nice change, but there were some terrible glitches and hit box problems as well. The problem with tab targeting is that the latest version of it were absolutely terrible (looking at you FFXIV).

Tab targeting tends to be terribly slow (thanks to global cooldowns) and clunky while action combat scares of a lot of people as it is often seen as "too elite" or "too hardcore". The line between a boring combat system and one that is too hardcore is very thin so im looking forward to the AoC approach here. Latest videos indicate a combat similar to GW2... guess we will see when new material gets out ;)
  • Options
    i think a combat system like this would totaly fit in this game

https://youtu.be/RCUiN3YBukY
  • Options
    I love the world of BDO, it's magnificent. But the one thing i hate about that game is its silly combat system. Up, down, left, left, triangle, square, left shoulder button to cast a fireball. I don't want to play Streetfighter, I want to play an MMORPG.

So I prefer tab target based combat. I was quite glad to see something that looked like it in the videos I've seen.

Oh and speaking of personal preferences: No 3 meter long, 1 meter wide swords or hammers with heads the size of a player. I'd prefer a more natural, real life-ish, aesthetic of weapons and movements. Leave that wire-fu action to the Asian fantasy movies please (where I greatly enjoy them).
  • Options
    [quote quote=9048]I love the world of BDO, it’s magnificent. But the one thing i hate about that game is its silly combat system. Up, down, left, left, triangle, square, left shoulder button to cast a fireball. I don’t want to play Streetfighter, I want to play an MMORPG.

So I prefer tab target based combat. I was quite glad to see something that looked like it in the videos I’ve seen.

Oh and speaking of personal preferences: No 3 meter long, 1 meter wide swords or hammers with heads the size of a player. I’d prefer a more natural, real life-ish, aesthetic of weapons and movements. Leave that wire-fu action to the Asian fantasy movies please (where I greatly enjoy them).

[/quote]

I have to agree here. What am I afraid of and what wouldve been a total turn off for me is some kind of over-reactive combat system where you just like you said feels like a street fighter game where you have to hit certain combos to be effective over time and eventhough it might be fun for a fight or the first hour at some point it becomes utterly annoying and the game feels much like a chore than having actual fun.
  • Options
    I agree and also like TAB targeting.
  • Options
    [quote quote=9048]I love the world of BDO, it’s magnificent. But the one thing i hate about that game is its silly combat system. Up, down, left, left, triangle, square, left shoulder button to cast a fireball. I don’t want to play Streetfighter, I want to play an MMORPG.

So I prefer tab target based combat. I was quite glad to see something that looked like it in the videos I’ve seen.

Oh and speaking of personal preferences: No 3 meter long, 1 meter wide swords or hammers with heads the size of a player. I’d prefer a more natural, real life-ish, aesthetic of weapons and movements. Leave that wire-fu action to the Asian fantasy movies please (where I greatly enjoy them).

[/quote]

[quote quote=9157]<blockquote>
    <div class="d4p-bbt-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/combat-terabdo-or-more-like-gw2/page/4/#post-9048" rel="nofollow">Partyboy wrote:</a></div>
    I love the world of BDO, it’s magnificent. But the one thing i hate about that game is its silly combat system. Up, down, left, left, triangle, square, left shoulder button to cast a fireball. I don’t want to play Streetfighter, I want to play an MMORPG.

</blockquote>
    I have to agree here. What am I afraid of and what wouldve been a total turn off for me is some kind of over-reactive combat system where you just like you said feels like a street fighter game where you have to hit certain combos to be effective over time and eventhough it might be fun for a fight or the first hour at some point it becomes utterly annoying and the game feels much like a chore than having actual fun.

[/quote]

I'm sorry but you guys are stuck on the past. Action combat is what people want, it's the future AND it's where the future is going with VR starting to become main stream. Tab Target combat is clunky, slow and simply not fun to play for the vast majority of people. You might have complained about BDO's combat system but that's because it's not brainless and easy to master. It takes SKILL to be good. It's one of the few Korean MMOs where Even if someone has somewhat of a gear advantage on you, you can still beat them with SKILL. (Granted you need to be roughly the same level and at least within 50-100 Gear score of them because gear does give a big advantage but it's not the end all be all).

With tab targeting I press a sequence on my keyboard Over and over and over again or click little boxes once they come off cooldown. YAWN... it's boring. Action combat is situational, reactive and dynamic.

It doesn't need to be as flashy as BDO's combat but it needs to be an action combat based system. I wouldn't some auto aiming to help pick targets or a "focus" or "lock on" feature. But don't give me a trashy Tab target combat system where I'm clicking boxes or running through my number pad over and over again and watching stupid boxes at the bottom of my screen. YUCK! It's not 1996 folks!

I'd like to see something that combines BDO, ESO and Skyrim's combat systems together. I'd love it if arrows had weight and trajectory like the do in Skyrim psuedo lock on capability like you had in ESO with soft auto targeting but also have a combo system like BDO.
  • Options
    </blockquote>
    I’m sorry but you guys are stuck on the past. Action combat is what people want, it’s the future AND it’s where the future is going with VR starting to become main stream. Tab Target combat is clunky, slow and simply not fun to play for the vast majority of people. You might have complained about BDO’s combat system but that’s because it’s not brainless and easy to master. It takes SKILL to be good. It’s one of the few Korean MMOs where Even if someone has somewhat of a gear advantage on you, you can still beat them with SKILL. (Granted you need to be roughly the same level and at least within 50-100 Gear score of them because gear does give a big advantage but it’s not the end all be all).

With tab targeting I press a sequence on my keyboard Over and over and over again or click little boxes once they come off cooldown. YAWN… it’s boring. Action combat is situational, reactive and dynamic.

It doesn’t need to be as flashy as BDO’s combat but it needs to be an action combat based system. I wouldn’t some auto aiming to help pick targets or a “focus” or “lock on” feature. But don’t give me a trashy Tab target combat system where I’m clicking boxes or running through my number pad over and over again and watching stupid boxes at the bottom of my screen. YUCK! It’s not 1996 folks!

I’d like to see something that combines BDO, ESO and Skyrim’s combat systems together. I’d love it if arrows had weight and trajectory like the do in Skyrim psuedo lock on capability like you had in ESO with soft auto targeting but also have a combo system like BDO.

[/quote]

Well first of all - there is a common misconception nowadays that someones opinion = fact. Thats simply not true. So when you state people want action combat. Its not a fact, its just your opinion unless you can prove it actual data then it becomes a fact. Dont try to build a conversation on your opinions and state them as facts - that almost never ends well.

But moving on to the actual topic - I think ESO and GW2 had a really amusing combat system in my opinion. Everything that isnt WoW-like where you stand still and cast spells until the target is dead is fine by me but on the other hand no Street Fighter-like combat either. I want to play a game just to relax and im not there to prove anything to anyone, not that i can mash the buttons on my keyboard faster than someone else which is rather dull for me anyway. So yeah something in between is perfectly fine for me. I just hope it isnt either too boring or too complex thats all. I know the creators cant satisfy everyone so im just curious to see how its going to turn out.