A plea to the devs regarding female armor/costume design choices

Comments

• Serevn said:
    Yeah sorry, I'll take appeal over functionality anyday. As long as there are options I don't see an issue. You'd think transmog/ glamour systems would be mainstays for high quality MMOs now anyways.
    they have confirmed some sort of transmoging in ashes. just not exactly how theirs will work yet.
  • I like the skimpy armor on female characters, and I know a lot of women that like the skimpy armor on female characters.

Besides, if my daughter is gonna make me play a female character, I at least want to be a walking add for Victoria Secrets.
  • And this is why I want to play a Monk... so I can run around in a loincloth and beat the shit out of fully armoured Knights.

Or, you know, play as Tarzan. That works, too.
  • Less armor means more armor with better stats. Your argument is just silly everyone knows that is how it works :=)
  • Personally I would hope for a functional setting.

That aside, an armour is an armour. It does not exist a "female" armour. So, the risk here is foundamentally that everyone would look the same.

Standing by the first statement, then, I am willing to accept compromise, in order not to se the war of the clones II.

Then if we want to be realistic, I would need to convey an horrible truth: breast are an hindrance, so, if you want to be realistic, you should either make a character with small boobs, either have her wrap'em up tightly and then hide them under the various layers of an armour. A real, realistic tragedy
  • ruairidh said:
    Then if we want to be realistic, I would need to convey an horrible truth: breast are an hindrance, so, if you want to be realistic, you should either make a character with small boobs, either have her wrap'em up tightly and then hide them under the various layers of an armour. A real, realistic tragedy
    I would rather make a character with large ones and show'em off.

Speaking about realism, there are no such thing as magically becoming transparent and sneak up to your enemy a.k.a stealth.
    However dressing up as a hooker certainly causes your enemies to lower their guard, so yep, if you want a REAL stealth gear, then you need to dress as a hooker...
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    So many people are going to end up wearing costumes that it hardly matters...
    That being said, my PC is a female cleric (Pathfinder TTRPG) and she does wear a full set of armor. I know it's incredibly unlikely but I want my character to look as close to my avatar as possible as it is the concept artwork I paid for and had copyrighted.

On a side note: Most of the "sexy/skimpy" armor females wear comes from asian MMOs and this is not one of them.
  • So many people are going to end up wearing costumes that it hardly matters...
    That being said, my PC is a female cleric (Pathfinder TTRPG) and she does wear a full set of armor. I know it's incredibly unlikely but I want my character to look as close to my avatar as possible as it is the concept artwork I paid for and had copyrighted.

On a side note: Most of the "sexy/skimpy" armor females wear comes from asian MMOs and this is not one of them.
    Love the armour the character in your avatar is wearing! Even though I am mostly interested in stylish dresses/tight fitting outfits, I love armours such as that one. In the picture below is one of my favourite heavy armour from Aion. Just showing that "stylish" and "classy", doesn't mean that it needs to show every bit of skin possible to look attractive. Well that's my opinion whatsoever.

• Nelirya said:

Love the armour the character in your avatar is wearing! Even though I am mostly interested in stylish dresses/tight fitting outfits, I love armours such as that one. In the picture below is one of my favourite heavy armour from Aion. Just showing that "stylish" and "classy", doesn't mean that it needs to show every bit of skin possible to look attractive. Well that's my opinion whatsoever.

looks like lineage armor
  • Noespark said:
    Nelirya said:

looks like lineage armor
    It is from Aion (Crucible plate I believe, if you wanna google it), but a lot of armours from Aion do look like Lineage 2. As a matter of fact, some of my favourite armour designs are from Lineage 2.
  • @Nelirya Thanks! I had the work commissioned from a Paizo artist :smiley: Surprisingly cheap too considering who he works for :open_mouth:
    The concept for her gear has seen a lot of changes over the years. The sword was her father's and the shield was he teacher's.
  • I 100% agree with this sentiment. I've always been a fan of the practical, even in fantasies. Having revealing armor is not only impractical but also petty. If you have to rely on nude images in order to attract players, then your game is probably not all that great. 

I immediately turn down a new game the moment I see half naked girls flaunting across my screen. There's a time and place for that, just not during my playtime... my video game play time. O.o 
  • I'd like options for both, and leather and cloth armor should have skimpy options even if we're playing realistic.
  • While I can agree to some extent that females deserve armor that looks less skanky & revealing... something we could actually wear in combat and be protected by...
    I also like to look cute & sexy too! I actually made a post about this the other day, prior to seeing this post tonight.
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/33764/gear-appearance#latest

I like a less bulky, more assassin type of look. Not too much skin showing, but just enough in the right places to look #hawt ;)
    In my post I explain there needs to be a healthy medium, or balance, to please people from both sides of the fence. Whether that be by creating a crap load of options, where there's all kinds of gear of each type (some very revealing, some which are modest, and others that just cover you completely)... or whether it be a few options which are all just well balanced to make both sides happy! Regardless, I like a little skin showing. But that's just me! I don't want to look like I'm running around practically naked, but I want that creative, sexy, baddass appeal to my gear! In these pics, I think they cover you up nicely, yet look sexy still too! Also, I tend to like darker colors. Again, something more Assassin- like!

• While I can agree to some extent that females deserve armor that looks less skanky & revealing... something we could actually wear in combat and be protected by...
    I also like to look cute & sexy too! I actually made a post about this the other day, prior to seeing this post tonight.

I like a less bulky, more assassin type of look. Not too much skin showing, but just enough in the right places to look #hawt ;)
    In my post I explain there needs to be a healthy medium, or balance, to please people from both sides of the fence. Whether that be by creating a crap load of options, where there's all kinds of gear of each type (some very revealing, some which are modest, and others that just cover you completely)... or whether it be a few options which are all just well balanced to make both sides happy! Regardless, I like a little skin showing. But that's just me! I don't want to look like I'm running around practically naked, but I want that creative, sexy, baddass appeal to my gear! In these pics, I think they cover you up nicely, yet look sexy still too! Also, I tend to like darker colors. Again, something more Assassin- like!

• i found this a while ago, i would love to see designs like this for female tank amour :smile:

• Shunex said:

i found this a while ago, i would love to see designs like this for female tank amour :smile:

Which is pretty realistic & has an actual sense, despite being aesthetically pleasant. I agree.
  • If this helps OP at all, Steven has said this in response to one community member's concern with the battle heels worn by the female mage in some of the gameplay preview videos:

https://gyazo.com/627a0b178c4f1eb668d992e1dc2ca3f8 

As well as:

https://gyazo.com/15bcc1e9ca80711bd544cb87a4a69f24 
  • Shunex said:

i found this a while ago, i would love to see designs like this for female tank amour :smile:

nice one. would love to see stuff like that
  • Naaaaah.. This is an MMO game.. You don't see Wonder Woman wearing full body suit just cos Captain America does..
    MMO's are made to sexualize females. 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Flameh0t said:
    Naaaaah.. This is an MMO game.. You'll see Wonder Woman wearing full body suit just cos Captain America does.. badly made MMO's are made to (laughingly) sexualize females. 
    Fixed it for you :smiley:
  • I would really like to see a Never Winter Knights like crafting/cosmetic system.  i think that type of thing would be really great for keeping weapons and armors unique in a game. but if not done right it could ruin everything. no shortcuts could be taken to give us a proper variety everyone would be happy with

for those who dont know.as you made your sword you could choose froma huge variety of blade types depending on your skill level. all for visual affect.
  • Megs said:
    Flameh0t said:
    Naaaaah.. This is an MMO game.. You'll see Wonder Woman wearing full body suit just cos Captain America does.. badly made MMO's are made to (laughingly) sexualize females. 
    Nup.. As much as you all want to pretend to be equal, the men wear the pants, the women wear the skimpy revealing stuff. Especially for fantasy fighting.. I am surprised they don't restrict female made characters to cooking professions and confine them to the freehold houses. ;)
  • Flameh0t said:
    Megs said:
    Flameh0t said:
    Nup.. As much as you all want to pretend to be equal, the men wear the pants, the women wear the skimpy revealing stuff. Especially for fantasy fighting.. I am surprised they don't restrict female made characters to cooking professions and confine them to the freehold houses. ;)

Why would they restrict them to cooking only, when there are much more profiting and pleasurable profession mainly for women?
  • MADE said:
    Flameh0t said:
    Megs said:
    Flameh0t said:

Why would they restrict them to cooking only, when there are much more profiting and pleasurable profession mainly for women?
    Cos I doubt Intrepid are going to make Freehold Cleaning into a profession.
  • While I am for practical female armor, I feel like the example here is kind of off base. These are armor skins for royalty. I would assume this is supposed to evoke what they would be wearing in a noble court or not going into battle. I know the guy is armored but there is such a thing a ceremonial armor.
  • Hahaha. 
    This is funny.
    I think Yaviey might want to share in all this humor....should we ask her over?
  • Dunno who that is, but yeah, sure.. The more the merrier!