Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

A plea to the devs regarding female armor/costume design choices

Please give female characters viable options to wear full bodied, combat practical armor.

Specifically this bit of concept armor we are teased with here on the backer. The male armor looks amazing; blue and gold themes, it looks like you can charge into battle with that on and nobody is going to stab you through any vital organs very easily. However, if the female variant is a simple dress for a female human tank, that is going to be very inconsistent and unnerving.

I would like to see this MMO not fulfill the same extremely overdone stereotypes regarding exceptionally revealing female 'plate armor' that has been overdone to death. Though I'm not against those who would like to see that fantasy aesthetic for their characters, it is in my best interest to see to it that there is viable, aesthetically pleasing options for both styles.

Specifically, can the female royalty costume have an armored version that looks more or less the same as the male version with the same amount of plate armor coverage please?

Comments

• Options
    I agree, the armor should look like something that you would wear, and actually have protection. 
  • Options
    More Brienne of Tarth than Sand Snake, but I agree there should be a choice. Hopefully, Intrepid won't draw inspiration from ZoS as far as female armours are concerned.
  • Options
    she looks like a high elf mage to be honest 

• Options
    I argue that armor for genders should vary by race. Orc and dwarf armor may be heavier because those races are stockier and sturdier, while elven armor may want to be lighter and more flexible in combat.
  • Options
    I suppose a magey tank could get away with wearing elegant garb as it would make sense, but I agree with OP, I'm ok with never seeing skanky plate again.

• Options
    I think its more up to if women want that armour type and not a bunch of guys talking about the right and wrongs when we have no real way of understanding how they feel about this
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    True, but there'll always be women on both sides of the fence, and I think the most we can expect from Intrepid is choice. Whether they'll have the resources to be able to offer that choice is a debate for another time.
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    True, but there'll always be women on both sides of the fence, and I think the most we can expect from Intrepid is choice. Whether they'll have the resources to be able to offer that choice is a debate for another time.

I agree. I just think people need to stop jumping on every problem and focus on what we know and what else is being added
  • Options
    nagash said:
    I think its more up to if women want that armour type and not a bunch of guys talking about the right and wrongs when we have no real way of understanding how they feel about this

Men can absolutely have an opinion on the subject.

As a male, I do not prefer it simply because it is immersion-breaking.

Immersion in this game is something the devs have said they want to be important. Half naked characters running around (of either sex) surely breaks this goal.

This is the same rationale I carry in the transmog/hiding equipment discussions. If the options available severely break immersion then I am generally against it.
  • Options
    Warbacon said:
    nagash said:

Men can absolutely have an opinion on the subject.

As a male, I do not prefer it simply because it is immersion-breaking.

Immersion in this game is something the devs have said they want to be important. Half naked characters running around (of either sex) surely breaks this goal.

This is the same rationale I carry in the transmog/hiding equipment discussions. If the options available severely break immersion then I am generally against it.

I'm not saying you cant but what I was saying that its not right for us to dictate what people wear that is up to them and if the game lets them dress as a succubus then I don't see what the problem is the same with a knight in full plate it makes no difference apart from making that person happy 
  • Options
    @nagash Yes I agree, if the game systems allow it, then people will do it. I just hope the systems that are put in place are reasonable, to preserve immersion. If it does happen, I personally wouldn't care for it, so I would just try to avoid it when possible. Maybe some people want to RP a brothel :D , just avoid the seedy part of town I guess!
  • Options
    I 100% agree with you, however using that image as a basis for your argument is a little strange. Those are cosmetic costumes, not real armor.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Please give female characters viable options to wear full bodied, combat practical armor.

Specifically this bit of concept armor we are teased with here on the backer. The male armor looks amazing; blue and gold themes, it looks like you can charge into battle with that on and nobody is going to stab you through any vital organs very easily. However, if the female variant is a simple dress for a female human tank, that is going to be very inconsistent and unnerving.

I would like to see this MMO not fulfill the same extremely overdone stereotypes regarding exceptionally revealing female 'plate armor' that has been overdone to death. Though I'm not against those who would like to see that fantasy aesthetic for their characters, it is in my best interest to see to it that there is viable, aesthetically pleasing options for both styles.

Specifically, can the female royalty costume have an armored version that looks more or less the same as the male version with the same amount of plate armor coverage please?
    I don't believe these were meant to be battle ready appearances, but rather royal "ceremonial" garb.  Something more befitting a court gathering of the upper echelon of society, or special event.   While the male armor does appear more like armor, I would venture to guess it's offers barely any more protection than what the fine lady is wearing in the picture.  It's far too shiny and regal for real battle, and the first tavern brawl the wearer found himself in would probably emerge with more dents and scuffs that you could ever buff out to wear to any further special occasion. 

No, I wouldn't worry about it much in that particular example.  Those are clothes for peacocks to strut their stuff down the metropolitan streets!
    Take it from me, I have an eye for craftsmanship - dwarven or otherwise - and I'd sooner take 'me chances with protection from pots 'n pans in the kitchen than any 'o them shiny wearable baubles!

;) 
  • Options
    It would be nice to keep the brothel at the brothel and the battle relevant gear in battle. I'd rather look powerful than sexy when fighting. However, I can see myself being happy with either :D
  • Options

I think this is the third time i post that image....but here it goes again

Female Armor should be absolutely as protective looking as their male counterpart. Keep the clothing looking stuff to actual clothing and don't label it as "ARMOR"
  • Options
    To be honest, male armor absolutly lame in terms of real, practical protection TOO.

Like some strange hole in his stomach (one of the most vital areal in terms of wounds), and some stupid metallic... boots? How do you walk (gods forbid fight) it those? 

But this is plague of most fantasy games, their artists just know nothing about real  medieval armor and weapons, prefering just to draw "cool stuff" on level of understaning of 15 years old buys playing tabletop in basement. This is likely uncurable thing in mainstream.

And AoC, with all new ideas and good things, has very generic, mainstream art direction. Its like illustrations from dnd rulebooks, 3,5 at least. I remember them pretty well. All this useless absturd armors, oversized and silly weapons. Very typical fantasy solutions.

Thats how real royal armor look like, if you want fo fancy, golden etc:

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Yeah, I appreciate options in protection and prettiness too, but the "tin can" look above just isn't going to be as popular in the face of other outfits.  It all comes down to making the armor/outfit appealing.  and there are many ways to go about this, even for tank pieces.
  • Options
    i've said it before, if someone wants to have protection then they should be wearing armor that actually looks like it could be armor. if someone wants to run around the battlefield in a bikini with absolutely no armor value that's their prerogative
  • Options
    Meh, whatever armor women will have in game is fine with me. I'll be playing a male character, so I'm good... and... my wife will be playing along side me, so I won't be looking at other women chars  o:)
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    nagash said:
    *meh*
    I am male and I want skimpy magic armor for some of my male characters.
    Including chainmail bikinis.
    The women can feel however they want.

Mages are wearing cloth armor while being hit with Fireballs and people find bikini armor immersion-breaking?
    That's absurd.

All of the magic Str and Sta and Heath stats on plate armor is somehow perfectly reasonable, but not on chainmail bikinis?
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    nagash said:
    *meh*
    I am male and I want skimpy magic armor for some of my male characters.
    Including chainmail bikinis.
    The women can feel however they want.

Mages are wearing cloth armor while being hit with Fireballs and people find bikini armor immersion-breaking?
    That's absurd.

All of the magic Str and Sta and Heath stats on plate armor is somehow perfectly reasonable, but not on chainmail bikinis?
    I agree I mean is as skimpy a you can get that is pretty much see through
  • Options
    @le_souriceau
    hey, i'm the resident medieval nerd here!

well we have to live in a world were the mainstream has no clue about real armor. So even if the armor is a farcry from real ones, a tleast they can look as if they would be somewhat protective
  • Options
    Yep, it can be FAR WORSE : )

• Options
    My eyes!!

• Options
    I think @Rumbleforge was right about you @Nagash :D
  • Options
    actually it can be even worse then that!

• Options
    Kratz said:
    In what way?
  • Options
    Enrif said:

It must be if the forums will not let you post it
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Enrif said:

It must be if the forums will not let you post it
    you don't see it?
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Kratz said:
    In what way?

When he said you had a meme for any/every post possible! :D