A plea to the devs regarding female armor/costume design choices

124»

Comments

• She's the Intrepid team member in whose hands resides the power of total control over the Ashes community .....

*evil grin*

Are you sure you don't fancy a little rethink of some of your petty comments regarding women?

*innocent eyes*
  • Megs said:
    She's the Intrepid team member in whose hands resides the power of total control over the Ashes community .....

*evil grin*

Are you sure you don't fancy a little rethink of some of your petty comments regarding women?

*innocent eyes*
    I think someone needs to relax.  But yes, lets keep the misogynistic comments out of chat and save them for ingame.  =) 
  • I've never had any issues with female armor, me being a female I don't mind seeing skimpy girls running around everyone, but conservative armor makes everything more lore friendly, such as how DA2 did Image result for dragon age female armor

She's almost completely covered and looks like she could take a good couple of hits to the body without being obliterated. 
    Here is a rogue example
    Image result for dragon age female armor
    It looks like light armor but it really has a ton of defense, it's important to look the part you play instead of having a bubbly character running around with a bikini and bouncing boobs haha. 
  • I can appreciate both arguments, and in my opinion the best choice is to simply give people the option to wear functional looking armor with as good a stats as the magical bikini armor. Forcing all female characters into cleavage baring suits is no different than making all male characters have a pot belly. MMOs are about creating a persona and taking away choices of looks is bad for the game in my opinion. Customization of the character is a huge part of these games.

That said please do not put maid outfits or bunny suits etc in the game.... keep it in context please.

• Here is a rogue example
    It looks like light armor but it really has a ton of defense, it's important to look the part you play instead of having a bubbly character running around with a bikini and bouncing boobs haha. 
    That actually a man in the image, and it aren't even give any real defense... a single hit on your leg, and it's pretty much gg, or in the head...

Speaking about defense, even a full bodied armor aren't give reliable defense again 2h melee weapons, they stop a knife and projectiles with lower power, but the truth is that armor's aren't too efficient, so saying that "make them look functional" is a pretty delusional argument.

• The conundrum here imo is immersion vs player choice. Being a high fantasy game gives Intrepid an expansive artistic licence. I personally would like to see stat appropriate gear, the tank being an easy example. A female tank wearing a plated bikini should have far less stats then a female tank wearing full plated armor head to toe.  Full armor on a female can still be aesthetically pleasing and form fitting and quite sexy while retaining full tanking stats. 

The second conundrum is immersion vs the costume. That female tank with the head to toe high stat armor is now wearing a bikini costume, where does the conversation go from there. 

True full immersion in a mmo is almost impossible, so there is the question, how immersive will Ashes be. 
  • Eragus said:
    The conundrum here imo is immersion vs player choice. Being a high fantasy game gives Intrepid an expansive artistic licence. I personally would like to see stat appropriate gear, the tank being an easy example. A female tank wearing a plated bikini should have far less stats then a female tank wearing full plated armor head to toe.  Full armor on a female can still be aesthetically pleasing and form fitting and quite sexy while retaining full tanking stats. 

The second conundrum is immersion vs the costume. That female tank with the head to toe high stat armor is now wearing a bikini costume, where does the conversation go from there. 

True full immersion in a mmo is almost impossible, so there is the question, how immersive will Ashes be. 
    Also, with that.. What about people who play female characters that wish to have the bikini version? Are you saying they should be penalised stats wise for their cosmetic choices? As logically as that is, it wouldn't sit well with a lot of people..
  • MADE said:

Here is a rogue example
    That actually a man in the image, and it aren't even give any real defense... a single hit on your leg, and it's pretty much gg, or in the head...

Speaking about defense, even a full bodied armor aren't give reliable defense again 2h melee weapons, they stop a knife and projectiles with lower power, but the truth is that armor's aren't too efficient, so saying that "make them look functional" is a pretty delusional argument.

That's exactly it. And if you're going to go with that deep of a function for armor, you'd have to have negative multipliers for armor.. Such as a lightning bolt spell hitting an enemy in full metal plate armor, they'd be fried.. So you're better off in the bikini ;)
  • Yep, it can be FAR WORSE : )

God damn lv 99 Female armor so much protection
  • as far as female armor a few of the better examples over the years.
    example from R.O.S.E. from gravity interactive 
    just more of a female armor that looks actually functional
    Err.. just wondering.. is the female on the right side of the picture? Can't really tell :joy:
  • Flameh0t said:
    Eragus said:
    The conundrum here imo is immersion vs player choice. Being a high fantasy game gives Intrepid an expansive artistic licence. I personally would like to see stat appropriate gear, the tank being an easy example. A female tank wearing a plated bikini should have far less stats then a female tank wearing full plated armor head to toe.  Full armor on a female can still be aesthetically pleasing and form fitting and quite sexy while retaining full tanking stats. 

Also, with that.. What about people who play female characters that wish to have the bikini version? Are you saying they should be penalised stats wise for their cosmetic choices? As logically as that is, it wouldn't sit well with a lot of people..
    Intrepid will have to find the sweet spot between player choice and being as deeply immersive as possible. I do agree that there will be a large (and maybe even the largest) portion of the community that will prefer to wear an outfit that is aesthetically pleasing to themselves even with varying degrees of immersion breaking. Allowing costumes will inherently break immersion to some degree but won't take away from the game if all other systems are designed and implemented well. I think that Intrepid will do well on this issue but ultimately will not be able to satisfy everyone.
  • Eragus said:
    Flameh0t said:
    Eragus said:

Intrepid will have to find the sweet spot between player choice and being as deeply immersive as possible. I do agree that there will be a large (and maybe even the largest) portion of the community that will prefer to wear an outfit that is aesthetically pleasing to themselves even with varying degrees of immersion breaking. Allowing costumes will inherently break immersion to some degree but won't take away from the game if all other systems are designed and implemented well. I think that Intrepid will do well on this issue but ultimately will not be able to satisfy everyone.

Just wanted to say I highly agree with your last statement. I am absolutely certain that Intrepid will do their best to please both sides, and I personally think this is the correct way to go. But in the end of the day, there will always be people who will not be satisfied with the results.
    LMAO never saw uglier armor than this. Also functional in what? cause certainly not in stopping/deflecting projectiles or weapon hits.
  • MADE said:
    as far as female armor a few of the better examples over the years.
    LMAO never saw uglier armor than this. Also functional in what? cause certainly not in stopping/deflecting projectiles or weapon hits.
    Thats not Armor, that's just clothing
    Yeah nah.. That doesn't seem functional or like armour.. it's just cloth lol only thing that protects against is perverts ogling you..