Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Should the art of Mezzing mobs return?

Comments

• Options
    Tawni said:
    CC is great, so long as it is somehow limited in PvP
    Amen to that.
  • Options
    Tawni said:
    CC is great, so long as it is somehow limited in PvP
    Yeap, even though many are polling positive for the mezzes and crowdcontrol. I think most are aware of the problem this could pose in PvP. I'm fairly certain that the development team is aware of this as well (it's not exactly a very subtle problem :D)

Here's hoping that they'll be able to find a good compromise between PvE and PvP.
  • Options
    Grisu said:
    Ahh good old days. New level, no dungeon, noone has any clue.

<tank> "hey we got a bit of cc so just in case" <proceeds to mark enemies for snares, stuns sleeps>
    <heal>"With what happened in the last dungeon, I think it's reasonable to take it a little slower the first few groups" <charges in to pull the rest>
    <mage> "Oh come on this takes to long" <AoE bombs the whole group putting everyone in a mad

frency and somehow with no mana, barely any hp and a dead mage, comes out winning as a groupe>
    <patrol turns a corner>
    Those were the grand days of even trivial dungeons being fun! <cries laughing>
    Hahah, this is totally how it feels to be a mezzer. 

There's also the times when no one wants to admit that they broke the mezz. Then the quiet checking of combat logs to see who the culprit was... tension.  :D

Those sure were the days!  How often we all laughed. Well those who weren't crying that is. lol
  • Options
    I hope the mobs have good AI and learn to run around objects.  Heck hope they don't give up too easy chasing people down either!  
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Yes to the return of significant crowd control tactics. A dedicated mez class would need to be very carefully implemented in my opinion as it would possibly be very overpowered or potentially underwhelming depending on the implementation (but definitely fun to play if done well).
  • Options
    Or does "speak into being terrible nightmares" mean summoning a nightmare? 
    Since we're talking about the bard - I'm thinking more like a fear effect: the bard spins a fearsome yarn that haunts the enemies with their own imagination!  Perhaps they can even do damage to themselves, bumping into walls and such, as they run away!  :lol:

Maybe the the Bard/Summoner could summon nightmares w/ quasi-physical forms that would chase baddies around and damage them as they flee!  Bard/Tank could freeze enemies in their tracks with fear and/or cause the weapons to falls from their trembling hands!  :smiley:
  • Options
    Or does "speak into being terrible nightmares" mean summoning a nightmare? 
    Since we're talking about the bard - I'm thinking more like a fear effect: the bard spins a fearsome yarn that haunts the enemies with their own imagination!  Perhaps they can even do damage to themselves, bumping into walls and such, as they run away!  :lol:

Maybe the the Bard/Summoner could summon nightmares w/ quasi-physical forms that would chase baddies around and damage them as they flee!  Bard/Tank could freeze enemies in their tracks with fear and/or cause the weapons to falls from their trembling hands!  :smiley:
    As long as the mobs don't run off and end up aggroing another bunch of mobs... haha. I can't remember which game it was that I played that had that. 

About the summons I guess it's a question of whether nightmares have the ability to physically affect the world or not. :smile:
  • Options
    So a lot of people wants mezzing to be in the game, but only 1 actually wants to play it =P

AutumnWillow 
  • Options
    As long as the mobs don't run off and end up aggroing another bunch of mobs... haha. I can't remember which game it was that I played that had that. 
    That happens frequently in WoW, for sure.  I like the mechanic of other mobs being alerted by their feared brethren - it forces you to be more thoughtful and strategic with your CC - but I always thought it was dumb that feared mobs ran in a purely random direction...  They're scared, not blind!  Why would they run directly towards that which they fear?!

It would be nice if, instead of running a 100% random direction, feared mobs were driven away from the caster in a cone.  There could be a little more strategy to the fear then... you could sort of herd the mobs in a general direction and try to keep them away from other packs of enemies.

Hmm... in addition to that mechanic, what if the bard could make another party member the source of the fear?  So the rogue sneaks around behind a pack and the bard sings a little ditty that makes the rogue look like the Jabberwocky, thus simultaneously sending the mobs in the general direction of the tank and forcing them all to turn their backs on the rogue, ripe for stabbing.
  • Options
    So a lot of people wants mezzing to be in the game, but only 1 actually wants to play it =P

AutumnWillow
  • Options
  • Options

AutumnWillow
  • Options
  • Options
    Hahaha, yeah. It was my first attempt at a poll, I promised to put better poll choices in the future. 
  • Options
    I do love the idea of mesmerization and like the prospect of it in a PVE setting. I would imagine the balance in regards to specific abilities in PVP would be problematic. It would have to be an engaging form of mesmerization in my opinion, however. If it's a group thing some sort of spell that requires concentration that could be broken a bit easier (maybe like a DDR type minigame so you're also using your concentration to keep the spell going). Whereas single target could be more potent and maybe block off a portion of your mana from use while single target mez is in effect.
  • Options
    Well.. Look at the poll. Everyone loves a mezzer.. As long as someone else is doing it!
    I think that's pretty much all that needs to be said there.
  • Options
    Xephita said:
    Well.. Look at the poll. Everyone loves a mezzer.. As long as someone else is doing it!
    Hahaha, yeah, I'm the only one in the polls. It's cold up there.
  • Options
    Xephita said:
    I would join you if there wasn't a bard to play. Although, it sounds like the Bards could well have some mezzing to do themselves.
  • Options
    Sounds fun honestly.
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    Xephita said:
    I would join you if there wasn't a bard to play. Although, it sounds like the Bards could well have some mezzing to do themselves.
    It does look like the bards could be the Mezzers of the game yes... That'd be perfect for me. 
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    Xephita said:
    It does look like the bards could be the Mezzers of the game yes... That'd be perfect for me. 
    Perhaps Bard/Mages specifically?  Or does anyone think that perhaps a different class combo would be better for this theoretical Mezzer?
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    I think the bard would be the best class as you could have the skill called Lullaby
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    Xephita said:
    Perhaps Bard/Mages specifically?  Or does anyone think that perhaps a different class combo would be better for this theoretical Mezzer?
    Traditionally mate I would argue it better suits mage but @AutumnWillow has proven already that Intrepid see such skills in the armoury of the Bard in addition.
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    Xephita said:

Yeah, from class descriptions alone it does seem like team buffing and crowd control seems to be the job of the bard. 

Adding the mage subclass could make like more like thematically like the enchanters of everquest. 

But I'm guessing all bard primary combos will have some ability to crowd control. 
  • Options
    nagash said:
    I think the bard would be the best class as you could have the skill called Lullaby

That's the exact name of the eq2 troubadour's (bard) mezz. Lullaby. 
  • Options
    nagash said:

That's the exact name of the eq2 troubadour's (bard) mezz. Lullaby. 
    it fit so well with the class so it would make sense 
  • Options
    Could call it Lullaby of death, or Lullaby of bones, or Lich Lullaby just to try get @Nagash over to the bards ;)
  • Options
    I like to play a song now and again 

• Options
    nagash said:
    I like to play a song now and again 

Necro bard? Summon your band mates. Heh. 
  • Options
    Why. Why must you insist on torturing the only thing I have left