Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Do you think it is good that the ranger has to be a minimum distance from the enemy to use a bow?

Comments

• Options
    Yes, because it makes you have to play smart, and not just stand and go PEW PEW PEW. Positioning, risk analysis and tactics will be something a good ranger will need to consider. 

I plan on playing either a ranger or a mage, and I'm in favor of minimum distance requirements. 
  • Options
    You should be able to use a bow close up but it might get blocked so I voted no
  • Options
    Just curious; why is this set up as a poll? As for do I think that? Unequivocally. Why? Because super-uber-god-mode doesn't engender intelligent play, it just engenders massive amounts of "Woohoo, I can see you all the way across the map, so I'm gonna flame ya down with arrows at no risk to myself!"

And as has been pointed out, this game is predicated on the belief that risk/reward is a basic form of the gameplay.
  • Options
    Manual aiming and dealing with the effect of gravity would be nice but bandwidth concerns will make that impossible for some
  • Options
    @Karthos I see what you mean, but if they lack the abilities to create distance between them and an enemy it could really ruin the fun in an arena type setting where enmies can just hug you 24/7
  • Options
    @Karthos I see what you mean, but if they lack the abilities to create distance between them and an enemy it could really ruin the fun in an arena type setting where enmies can just hug you 24/7
    Well that goes hand in hand with playing a ranged class. There will likely be jump back, leap, hamstring, ect.. type skills you can utilize. 

If you can't kite, you aren't playing ranged right. 
  • Options
    Absolutely.

Having played ESO for a long time, I know how developers should not do bow/"ranged" combat.

However, it would be nice if there are some weaker melee attacks you can perform if there is an opponent too close.
  • Options
    I think as long as they include roots and slows in the Ranger's toolkit (which it looks like they are) it should be fine. I just think that it makes more sense for Rangers to have to be at range if they are using a ranged weapon.
  • Options
    I didn't think it would be popular when mentioned but then they revealed the escape, they could even introduce a melee snare/slow for the ranger, so I don't think It'll be a problem based on what we know.  
  • Options
    I'd have to play around with it first; but surely, Rangers will have some sort of melee for close quarters.
  • Options
    T-Elf said:
    I'd have to play around with it first; but surely, Rangers will have some sort of melee for close quarters.
    Gratz on the Q&A appearance T-Elf ;)
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Also, I wouldn't shut out the possibility that one of the class augments might modify your skills/bow attacks to allow their usage in melee range as well.
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    T-Elf said:
    Gratz on the Q&A appearance T-Elf ;)

Thanks!  I love to do Drive-by heals. <3
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Relwoh said:
    You should be able to use a bow close up but it might get blocked so I voted no

Agreed.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Keep in mind that it sounds like the Ranger will have bow skills for distance and close up. Like that one you charge up and shoot someone. Or did I hear that wrong?

EDIT: I listened to it and Steve called it a point blank shot.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I hope the ranger can pull out a couple of swords for up close combat if they decide to have this mechanic in game. I may just not be able to see the whole picture at this time but if you can not do any damage up close that seems like a high disadvantage. However this was but a small glimpse so I will reserve judgment. 
  • Options
    I haven't seen a game pull this off properly. Everyone that has a minimum range distance is exploited in some way by other classes.

It would be nice to see, but when players put most of their skills into Bow, and then suddenly they can't use it because their enemy is too close, it can be an issue.
  • Options
    Well it's all conceptual at this point. Things could change in so many ways during the next 2 years. Keep your opinions coming folks!
  • Options
    *cough* That's the whole point of a bow in the first place? I like the realism. Ranger should have a secondary weapon that can be use in close quarters if need be or have a skill set that allow them to reach the "minimum" distance. 
    It's good that they are allowing open development so concepts like this can be tested to see if they work so when launch comes we should have something that's balanced and makes sense for the class :)
  • Options
    This is slightly off topic, but Legolas sucks. Okay! ;)
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    I liked you at first, but now I am having my doubts ;)
  • Options
    I don't think you could call him a "ranger" if he has to be 2 inches away from his target can you?
  • Options
    Ranged class should be more effective at range, yes.

When designed with a minimum distance for max effectiveness in mind, I would assume there would be plenty of skills to put distance between yourself and your target.  Some tools to snare that enable that distance to stay there.  Even some melee skills that snare/stun and give you time to create a gap.

That's the goal of ranged: Dominate from a distance.  
  • Options
    If they can balance it out, like others said, with a pair of daggers or a sword to switch to. I would have to problem with it, since I like realism.

But what would be the minimum range? like a few meters? or more like 5-10 meters? melee distance? 
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    But he sucks well!
  • Options
    Only if mage fireball will also have minimum distance.
    And healers heal also.
    And every other ranged weapon out there.
  • Options
    Gothix said:
    Only if mage fireball will also have minimum distance.
    And healers heal also.
    And every other ranged weapon out there.
    This makes no sense. Can you explain what the reason behind this would be?
  • Options
    Not sure how Intrepid is developing the Ranger but "Ranger" does not mean fighting from range.  This is one thing a lot of players get incorrect.
  • Options
    Diura said:
    *cough* That's the whole point of a bow in the first place? I like the realism. Ranger should have a secondary weapon that can be use in close quarters if need be or have a skill set that allow them to reach the "minimum" distance
    It's good that they are allowing open development so concepts like this can be tested to see if they work so when launch comes we should have something that's balanced and makes sense for the class :)
    The devs mentioned this scenario specifically. The working skill name was "dash" which would allow you to regain that distance AND also fire off an arrow at the end.
  • Options
    I voted yes because we are not playing superheroes like Legolas (who got off, what, 8 arrows in like 3 secs within 10' at the end of Fellowship?). It's nice to hear that if someone is in your face, trying to pull, aim and then fire a bow is not possible.