Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What is your opinion on the add-on prices?

Comments

• Options
    Stacks said:
    So....
    IMO I would want small transactions of items, such as 0.99 1.99 2.99 etc. This would create more of an incentive for purchasing lots of cosmetics. I look at it like Dota 2's treasure system, in that the devs sell the original (sometimes for only a limited time) and the community creates an economy around the item in-game.
     *side-note* I would love to see community created and approved content!!

I'd love to hear your comments on this sort of mirco-transaction system.
    I must confess I'm not familiar with DOTA 2's system, but doesn't that mean players are able to convert their $$$ into in game currency?

If so, that's a big no no as far as I'm concerned & could definitely be classified as P2W.
  • Options
    Hatchet said:
    I wrote this in discord but especially to those of us that pledged heavily this is pretty much a big "FU, pay me money" because our summer campaign didn't work like we thought it would due to us actually believing people on the internet.
    All I can say to you is you chose your name well.
  • Options
    Nelirya said:
    Hi everyone!

So, I just noticed that the add-ons are now available. You can see them by going to the main Ashes website, log-in and then click the "account" option.

I was very much looking forwards to buying several costumes and perhaps pets and still am thinking about it, but now that I have seen the prices I am a little uncertain. The main thing I was looking to buy was the "Majesty Costume", because it sounds awesome (even though we haven't even seen any art of it.....). However, after checking its price, which is $25, I am no longer so certain I want it. I think I understand though, this costume is from a high-priced package, so I suppose it does make sense making it cost that much.
    I was also interested in the "Radiant Stallion", but seeing the $15, I don't think I want it either now (once again, guessing the price is justified by being from a higher package).

As a conclusion, I think if I go for anything, I will get the "Summer Costume Bundle" (costing $37.50) which contains all the 3 summer costumes at 15% discount, making each costume cost about $12.

My question to you people; what do you think of the prices of the add-ons?
    Also, when the game releases and the cash-shop comes up, what would your ideal price be for a pet skin/mount skin/costume skin? Keeping in mind we will be paying $15 subscription.
    Hiya, @Nelirya! I think the "problem" may be in how one perceives things. For instance, you're looking at the Summer program as a way to purchase cosmetic items, when it was actually designed as an "Add on" to the KS campaign. Won't get into the reasons for that again, but I'll try to help offer a new perspective.

When those of us who contributed to the KS campaign did contribute there were some who contributed based on the goodies they wanted from contributing. However, there were a vast number of us who contributed to be contributing to something we believe in and hope for. The "goodies" associated with the costs aren't the goal of the campaigns, they're items to sweeten the level of donation. So you're paying $25 not for the cosmetic items, but more for the sake of contributing to the development of this game. Cosmetic items may remain at that cost, or may cost less once the game once the game launches, it's too early to say yet what they'll choose to do. For myself, I hope they're wise enough to price things low enough that more people will buy them. But that's after the game launches, and that's not the focus of the campaigns themselves.

Or, at least, that's my perception of things :smiley:
  • Options
    Diura said:
    Patience everyone - all will be made clear :)
    What needs to be mad clear? We think the prices are too high, Steven does not (as he voted that). Does that mean it's the end of the world? No. Does it mean they should change the prices? No, not really that's their choice. It's all cosmetics. It won't ruin the game.
    There are several threads talking about how the Summer upgrades etc work - I personally find it all very clear and understand how it works but there are many here and on the discord that are confused. Hence it would be beneficial for an "official" statement from the team clarifying how the Summer Backing works posted somewhere that's is archived and easy to access for everyone :)
    That is all :)
    I've no complaints about Intrepid and think the pricing is fine :)
  • Options
    Hmmm, still can't see the add-on attachments in chrome, firefox, or edge browsers.
  • Options
    Icarium said:
    Hmmm, still can't see the add-on attachments in chrome, firefox, or edge browsers.
    The Devs are still working on it :) Once it's fixed I'm sure someone will update the community here :)
  • Options
    Isende said:
    Nelirya said:
    Hi everyone!

So, I just noticed that the add-ons are now available. You can see them by going to the main Ashes website, log-in and then click the "account" option.

I was very much looking forwards to buying several costumes and perhaps pets and still am thinking about it, but now that I have seen the prices I am a little uncertain. The main thing I was looking to buy was the "Majesty Costume", because it sounds awesome (even though we haven't even seen any art of it.....). However, after checking its price, which is $25, I am no longer so certain I want it. I think I understand though, this costume is from a high-priced package, so I suppose it does make sense making it cost that much.
    I was also interested in the "Radiant Stallion", but seeing the $15, I don't think I want it either now (once again, guessing the price is justified by being from a higher package).

As a conclusion, I think if I go for anything, I will get the "Summer Costume Bundle" (costing $37.50) which contains all the 3 summer costumes at 15% discount, making each costume cost about $12.

My question to you people; what do you think of the prices of the add-ons?
    Also, when the game releases and the cash-shop comes up, what would your ideal price be for a pet skin/mount skin/costume skin? Keeping in mind we will be paying $15 subscription.
    Hiya, @Nelirya! I think the "problem" may be in how one perceives things. For instance, you're looking at the Summer program as a way to purchase cosmetic items, when it was actually designed as an "Add on" to the KS campaign. Won't get into the reasons for that again, but I'll try to help offer a new perspective.

When those of us who contributed to the KS campaign did contribute there were some who contributed based on the goodies they wanted from contributing. However, there were a vast number of us who contributed to be contributing to something we believe in and hope for. The "goodies" associated with the costs aren't the goal of the campaigns, they're items to sweeten the level of donation. So you're paying $25 not for the cosmetic items, but more for the sake of contributing to the development of this game. Cosmetic items may remain at that cost, or may cost less once the game once the game launches, it's too early to say yet what they'll choose to do. For myself, I hope they're wise enough to price things low enough that more people will buy them. But that's after the game launches, and that's not the focus of the campaigns themselves.

Or, at least, that's my perception of things :smiley:
    Heya, thank you for commenting!
    I do absolutely see your perspective, and I also bought my pack not only for the goodies, but to support this project, because I believe in it. See, I do not have so much of a problem with how they valued the add-on items, because well.. they're supposed to be special and whatnot.
    However, here's what my concern is; the add-on items are cosmetics such as costumes/pet skins/mount skins, exact items that have been promised for the game's cash shop (when the game releases releases). And here we see some of the mount skins coming up to $50. If (and only if) this is the kind of price-range they are thinking of for the cash shop, I would never pay that much for a mount skin. Easy answer is: "ok, so don't buy anything". But, I am really interested in buying skins from the cash shop in the future, and really would like to pay something little extra each month. However, I will not pay $25 for a costume or $50 for a mount skin IF these are the kind of prices they have in mind for the future cash shop.

I am not trying to complain about the summer add-on prices. I am just seeing if people agree with me that for the future cash shop, those prices are just too high.
  • Options
    No specific reply to anyone, but I just want to make the point that "Cosmetic store" and "crowdfunding" purchases are two different things!
    • Cosmetic store items are what you can buy after the crowdfunding is over. I expect the pricing for cosmetic items to be similar to other games; or probably cheaper because after all Ashes is a subscription based title, so IS are not dependent on the cash shop for their income.

• Crowdfunding is a totally different concept to a cash shop! You are pledging funds in return for special rewards. For Kickstarter backers, the addon prices are based on the summer funding packages (carved up and discounted!). This is a huge benefit to KS backers like myself who might want specific items in the summer funding package (eg: fire & frost elemental skins!) that will likely not be available in the cash shop at a later date.
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    No specific reply to anyone, but I just want to make the point that "Cosmetic store" and "crowdfunding" purchases are two different things!
    • Cosmetic store items are what you can buy after the crowdfunding is over. I expect the pricing for cosmetic items to be similar to other games; or probably cheaper because after all Ashes is a subscription based title, so IS are not dependent on the cash shop for their income.

• Crowdfunding is a totally different concept to a cash shop! You are pledging funds in return for special rewards. For Kickstarter backers, the addon prices are based on the summer funding packages (carved up and discounted!). This is a huge benefit to KS backers like myself who might want specific items in the summer funding package (eg: fire & frost elemental skins!) that will likely not be available in the cash shop at a later date.
    That is interesting, I didn't think of it like that... If this is, indeed, the case, and those prices have nothing to do with the future cash shop then that's great! It would just be nice to see an official post about this (which seems to be coming from Intrepid soon).
  • Options
    Nelirya said:
    -snip-
    Heya, thank you for commenting!
    I do absolutely see your perspective, and I also bought my pack not only for the goodies, but to support this project, because I believe in it. See, I do not have so much of a problem with how they valued the add-on items, because well.. they're supposed to be special and whatnot.
    However, here's what my concern is; the add-on items are cosmetics such as costumes/pet skins/mount skins, exact items that have been promised for the game's cash shop (when the game releases releases). And here we see some of the mount skins coming up to $50. If (and only if) this is the kind of price-range they are thinking of for the cash shop, I would never pay that much for a mount skin. Easy answer is: "ok, so don't buy anything". But, I am really interested in buying skins from the cash shop in the future, and really would like to pay something little extra each month. However, I will not pay $25 for a costume or $50 for a mount skin IF these are the kind of prices they have in mind for the future cash shop.

I am not trying to complain about the summer add-on prices. I am just seeing if people agree with me that for the future cash shop, those prices are just too high.
    Nelirya said:
    lexmax said:

That is interesting, I didn't think of it like that... If this is, indeed, the case, and those prices have nothing to do with the future cash shop then that's great! It would just be nice to see an official post about this (which seems to be coming from Intrepid soon).
    As usual, @lexmax said what needed said in a very short & sweet manner. Thanks, Lex! I believe you are correct in both your suppositions, and I also hope you are!
  • Options
    lexmax said:

You have excellent points Lexmax.  I am mostly disappointed (and it is my own fault) because i got expectations from Stevens post that we might get them for free and if not that, it would be at a nominal or reasonable price.  I stated it in my other post that i understand and it may be the best business decision for them but i did get my hopes up that i would be able to buy them or get the extra skins for cheap or free.  Again...it is my own fault for getting those expectations but at this point i find it overpriced.  Thank you for putting it in a calm and intelligent way to show the other side.  
  • Options
    lexmax said:

I obviously disagree, but a couple weeks ago I would have very much wanted to believe in your rationalization of the current situation.

The issue with what you have wrote is that people will buy into it (two above already have) this creates a perception of how something should be when it in fact it is not and the development team has proven they will not correct that thinking. This is what brought us here today with what the community expected and what Steven himself stated that created the impression of what we should have anticipated.

Creating a flowery narrative that is not supported by any actual Intrepid statements is only going to create heartbreak for everyone when it turns out not to be true. 
  • Options
    Hatchet said:
    lexmax said:

I obviously disagree, but a couple weeks ago I would have very much wanted to believe in your rationalization of the current situation.

The issue with what you have wrote is that people will buy into it (two above already have) this creates a perception of how something should be when it in fact it is not and the development team has proven they will not correct that thinking. This is what brought us here today with what the community expected and what Steven himself stated that created the impression of what we should have anticipated.

Creating a flowery narrative that is not supported by any actual Intrepid statements is only going to create heartbreak for everyone when it turns out not to be true. 
    Hatchet, just to clarify because i must not have with my post.  I do not agree with Lexmax i only respect his/her perspective and the intelligent way it was brought to the table.  If anything i lean towards your side on this topic.  But please continue because i really enjoy reading the different opinions on this situation so i can see it from more than just my own perspective.
  • Options
    Hatchet said:
    lexmax said:

You are entitled to disagree. However I have only stated a fairly obvious distinction between crowdfunding and a cash shop. I used no "flowery" words, only logic. If you have a problem with my logic, then please dispute the logic.
  • Options
    @GMSteven

Here's my largest problem:
    All we really have with AOC right now is your word and our faith. I don't care what you price your things at. Charge $100 for a costume, whatever. But don't lie to me.

A lot of us have been burned by the MMO industry and are putting our faith in you to do what you said you were going to do - Deliver a solid S2P MMO with no P2W, in my case.

When you wordsmith, when you come back behind yourself and behave in ways that seem duplicitous (I'm speaking right now to the "Reasonably Priced" $450 add-on), then it makes it hard for me to believe the other, more exciting things that you're saying.

I still have hope, I'm still super hyped to see what's going to come of this, but please remember that you've got a lot of fans here that really believe in what you're doing - Please don't betray the faith that we're placing in you.
  • Options
    Shy said:
    @GMSteven

All we really have with AOC right now is your word and our faith. I don't care what you price your things at. Charge $100 for a costume, whatever. But don't lie to me.

A lot of us have been burned by the MMO industry and are putting our faith in you to do what you said you were going to do - Deliver a solid S2P MMO with no P2W, in my case.

When you wordsmith, when you come back behind yourself and behave in ways that seem duplicitous (I'm speaking right now to the "Reasonably Priced" $450 add-on), then it makes it hard for me to believe the other, more exciting things that you're saying.

I still have hope, I'm still super hyped to see what's going to come of this, but please remember that you've got a lot of fans here that really believe in what you're doing - Please don't betray the faith that we're placing in you.
    This here is exactly why so many people are upset, sums it up nicely.
  • Options
    Shuzuk said:
    Shy said:
    @GMSteven

This here is exactly why so many people are upset, sums it up nicely.
    Yep, specially when it's the second time it has happened. They need to be more careful what they say and write.
  • Options
    If they thought they had a problem with people bitching about not being able to "pay" for KS...

they just pissed off a much larger pool of people, and once again set a precedent for what people should expect from them. So future people who find out about this title will most likely hear negative things from their decisions with this matter.

Who likes being lied to? Who is gonna give money to someone after they have already been burned? Who is gonna recommend doing business with that person in the future? Steven was right when he said games spread by word of mouth of the players in the gaming community. Can also backfire just as quickly if not quicker as it took off.
  • Options
    Stacks said:

IMO I would want small transactions of items, such as 0.99 1.99 2.99 etc. 
    I'd prefer 1, 2 and 3.

Those .99s everywhere are annoying as hell. It means sellers view people as morons that only look at the first number of a price tag. Well, perhaps many people are, but I would hope that those will not be playing AoC, at least not in great numbers.

Nicely rounded up prices are much nicer to see.

Something that Intrepid has already done. :)
    So I thank them for that.
  • Options
    Shy said:
    @GMSteven

@GMSteven

I would love to actually see a reply to this and how it will be "worded out".

• Options
    Hatchet said:
    Shy said:
    @GMSteven

@GMSteven

I would love to actually see a reply to this and how it will be "worded out".

I bet we will get a statement on Tuesdays livestream.
  • Options
    Decimus said:
    Hmm... almost as pricey as ESO's crown store stuff  :/

I might get some of these later on to support the game though - any information on how long they will be available?
    It is but at least you can preview ESO crown store stuff.  There isn't any pics that I can see for any of the skins.  They are priced a bit too high and KS backers should get a 50% discount not a measly 15% or something.
  • Options
    Intrepid needed to set the example, not follow it. If you're promoting an innovative and groundbreaking MMO then don't institute the same hated practices of other ones.
  • Options
    Duninn said:
    Intrepid needed to set the example, not follow it. If you're promoting an innovative and groundbreaking MMO then don't institute the same hated practices of other ones.
    Yeah sadly they went for the cash grab instead of doing what they first talked about (Giving it to Bravers and upwards package pledgers for the lifetime sub debacle (which I still don't agree with what they did) or selling it for a reasonable price ($452 is not reasonable)).
  • Options
    I'm sure all will be answered in due time, either in the form of a Discord announcement or on Tuesday's livestream. Patience is key here ladies and gentlemen. Be positive!  :)
  • Options
    euro3er said:
    I'm sure all will be answered in due time, either in the form of a Discord announcement or on Tuesday's livestream. Patience is key here ladies and gentlemen. Be positive!  :)
    Apparently they flat out ignored it on discord, but yeah I think they will adress it on Tuesdays livestream, they sort of have to.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    if they dont guess whos gonna get some bad reeppp for cash grabbing

anyone els noticing the, we probably gonna do this. (then they do this) or we will do it this way. and then they do it another way. this is starting to become a habit of theirs

id love to see what happens if they continue this trend of theirs
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    For me, it's show; not tell.
    They can and will try to spin anything.

Wand of Many Things instead of free or "reasonable discount" is just bizarre.
    No way they can spin that for me.

But, I'm really backing development of the game design - regardless of whether the game becomes vaporware or I find the implementation of the features to be enjoyable.
    I want the SOE/Daybreak devs to gain experience working on the concepts so that they can better apply what the learn and discover in the future.
    With Ashes... or some other MMORPG.

But, as with Landmark and EQNext - the devs have to show us what they actually do, not just tell us what they think they'd like to do.
    For me, they will be judged on what they do; not on what they say.
  • Options
    Not spending any more money till I'm playing the game and IMO for cosmetic items, skins no less. Way over priced. I don't see the reasonable side of it. I'm happy to wait for the game here on out. 
  • Options
    Hatchet said:
    I wrote this in discord but especially to those of us that pledged heavily this is pretty much a big "FU, pay me money" because our summer campaign didn't work like we thought it would due to us actually believing people on the internet.
    This is not exactly how I would've put it, but it is how I feel as well.  When Steven said that he had thought of a compensation for offering the lifetime sub again for the Summer Crowdfunding it was right when the campaign had started, it did seem that, to me anyway, they were waiting to see how the crowdfunding campaign was going to go before following through with this.

Originally, I believe there was something said about making an announcement at the beginning of the following week that never happened.  I feel like the people that were not completely outraged were placated by this suggestion and weren't too surprised when the announcement didn't when expected because so many other announcements and fixes have had long delays.  

As far as the pricing goes, I think it's too high.  $452 isn't reasonable, not to me at least.  I had believed, like many other kickstarter pledges believed, we were going to get these rewards for free.  I think its hilarious that our compensation has been downgraded from a package they believe is worth $452 to all pledges getting the wand of many things.  I'd much rather have the summer exclusive items I thought I was going to receive than some wand.